Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chris Conte has shoulder surgery(out 4-5 months)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
topwop1


Joined: 08 Jan 2008
Posts: 5084
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
That's too bad.















Said nobody.


Laughing

Did it every occur to any of you that Conte could have injured his shoulder recently in the off-season and that's why he hasn't had surgery up until now?

I think this now solidifies the idea of the Bears looking early for a safety come the draft.

Projected starters at safety as of now:

FS - Mundy
SS - Steltz

Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
neo


Joined: 12 Jan 2009
Posts: 750
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So D. Bucannon visited with us and Conte is out for a while. Hmmmm...new prediction. We trade down to 25-30th pick and gain another 2nd and task Bucannon with our early 2nd and take Rashede Hageman late 1st. I wouldn't be surprised or mad with taking Bucannon with pick #25-30 to be honest. He the make up to be a pro bowl SSH and we can grab someone later to develop behind Mundy at FS along with Conte coming back. Just a thought.
_________________


Adopt-a-Bear
Jon Bostic LB Florida
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ForteOz


Joined: 03 Sep 2013
Posts: 564
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang.
I was hoping he would bounce back and become at least a solid contributor for us. One bad year can be forgiven/forgotten if you follow it up with a good one. This is going to make it pretty tough for him.

Wish we had made an effort to go after Clemson even more now.

I dunno how much this will impact our drafting strategy, but it feels like we are losing some of that flexibility we appeared to have with the FA signings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roadrunner


Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 808
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForteOz wrote:
Dang.
I was hoping he would bounce back and become at least a solid contributor for us. One bad year can be forgiven/forgotten if you follow it up with a good one. This is going to make it pretty tough for him.

Wish we had made an effort to go after Clemson even more now.

I dunno how much this will impact our drafting strategy, but it feels like we are losing some of that flexibility we appeared to have with the FA signings.


Just as the affect this has on whether or not Conte starts is negligible, the affect on our draft strategy is next to non-existent. We were likely to take a safety in the second or third round. That likelihood has not changed. We have plenty of flexibility, and draft day will reflect that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ForteOz


Joined: 03 Sep 2013
Posts: 564
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
ForteOz wrote:
Dang.
I was hoping he would bounce back and become at least a solid contributor for us. One bad year can be forgiven/forgotten if you follow it up with a good one. This is going to make it pretty tough for him.

Wish we had made an effort to go after Clemson even more now.

I dunno how much this will impact our drafting strategy, but it feels like we are losing some of that flexibility we appeared to have with the FA signings.


Just as the affect this has on whether or not Conte starts is negligible, the affect on our draft strategy is next to non-existent. We were likely to take a safety in the second or third round. That likelihood has not changed. We have plenty of flexibility, and draft day will reflect that.


I'm not coming to this conclusion solely due to the Conte news, but also because of our lack of interest in other good value vets (Clemson, Ihedigbo).

I agree we were *likely* to add a safety in the early rounds, but at this point in the off season I would say if we don't land one of the top safeties in either the first or second round, we screwed up. *Needing* to take a safety with a high pick like that is not being in a flexible position.

And to be clear, I have been advocating going DT with our 1st since before FA even started. In fact, I'm still hoping we do, which puts a lot more pressure on getting a safety with our next pick, and may mean trading up to do so.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roadrunner


Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 808
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForteOz wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
ForteOz wrote:
Dang.
I was hoping he would bounce back and become at least a solid contributor for us. One bad year can be forgiven/forgotten if you follow it up with a good one. This is going to make it pretty tough for him.

Wish we had made an effort to go after Clemson even more now.

I dunno how much this will impact our drafting strategy, but it feels like we are losing some of that flexibility we appeared to have with the FA signings.


Just as the affect this has on whether or not Conte starts is negligible, the affect on our draft strategy is next to non-existent. We were likely to take a safety in the second or third round. That likelihood has not changed. We have plenty of flexibility, and draft day will reflect that.


I'm not coming to this conclusion solely due to the Conte news, but also because of our lack of interest in other good value vets (Clemson, Ihedigbo).

I agree we were *likely* to add a safety in the early rounds, but at this point in the off season I would say if we don't land one of the top safeties in either the first or second round, we screwed up. *Needing* to take a safety with a high pick like that is not being in a flexible position.

And to be clear, I have been advocating going DT with our 1st since before FA even started. In fact, I'm still hoping we do, which puts a lot more pressure on getting a safety with our next pick, and may mean trading up to do so.


I believe we can come out just fine taking a safety in the second or third round.

Keep in mind that there will be more game-ready players cut after the draft. Going along with your thought of getting things taken care of up front (DT), having top notch safeties becomes less of a concern.

Even as things stand now, we have improved, even if only slightly, at the safety position and there is still plenty of flexibility in how we act to continue shoring up that area of the field.

I might argue that CB need is more limiting than any other position given that ours are pretty long in the tooth. I agree, however, that inaction at the safety position would be detrimental, particularly to our future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IronMike84


Joined: 17 Jun 2009
Posts: 7120
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
Did it every occur to any of you that Conte could have injured his shoulder recently in the off-season and that's why he hasn't had surgery up until now?

Probably as a result of repeated facepalms.
_________________
Rotoworld.com wrote:
...internet mock drafts, which have ridiculously become the measuring stick for where players are "supposed" to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bkokot


Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Posts: 1443
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
Did it every occur to any of you that Conte could have injured his shoulder recently in the off-season and that's why he hasn't had surgery up until now?

Probably as a result of repeated facepalms.


Maybe he was trying to learn how to tackle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IronMike84


Joined: 17 Jun 2009
Posts: 7120
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously though, this kind of sucks because now the best (only?) free safety on the roster is MD Jennings. So if safety is a huge draft priority (and Emery has hinted it is), the two best options may be hoping Clinton-Dix falls a few spots or reaching for Calvin Pryor. And if safety isn't the first round pick, the next best guy may be Terrance Brooks in the 2nd. Else it's strong safety.
_________________
Rotoworld.com wrote:
...internet mock drafts, which have ridiculously become the measuring stick for where players are "supposed" to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roadrunner


Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 808
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
Seriously though, this kind of sucks because now the best (only?) free safety on the roster is MD Jennings. So if safety is a huge draft priority (and Emery has hinted it is), the two best options may be hoping Clinton-Dix falls a few spots or reaching for Calvin Pryor. And if safety isn't the first round pick, the next best guy may be Terrance Brooks in the 2nd. Else it's strong safety.

FWIW, they have Mundy and Jennings listed as Free Safeties on the roster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group