Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions sign Dan Orlovsky to 1-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
He isn't even being crucified, that is an exaggerated perception. But he is considered a #3 for his play, not just THAT play. That, again, is a skewed perception.

He absolutely does get crucified for that play. I never said that fans base their opinion of him on that play alone.

So what if he is crucified for that play. He deserves it. Plenty of QBs have had forced pressure in their own endzone. Its completely expected to experience an extra blitzer or two in that area. He panicked and ran away with no awareness of where he was at. You can make excuses all day but he is still the only one I know of to make that play other than a punter or something. I'm sure his feelings aren't too hurt while still playing in the NFL. But its just like the Mark Sanchez butt fumble, if you make a bonehead play, you will be remembered for it.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
He isn't even being crucified, that is an exaggerated perception. But he is considered a #3 for his play, not just THAT play. That, again, is a skewed perception.

He absolutely does get crucified for that play. I never said that fans base their opinion of him on that play alone.

So what if he is crucified for that play. He deserves it. Plenty of QBs have had forced pressure in their own endzone. Its completely expected to experience an extra blitzer or two in that area. He panicked and ran away with no awareness of where he was at. You can make excuses all day but he is still the only one I know of to make that play other than a punter or something. I'm sure his feelings aren't too hurt while still playing in the NFL. But its just like the Mark Sanchez butt fumble, if you make a bonehead play, you will be remembered for it.

I think the fact that it's compared to the Sanchez butt fumble supports my point: Sanchez ran full speed into the backside of his blocker. Orlovsky, playing for a terrible team deep in his own territory, stepped out of bounds while being pressured immediately by an elite DE. They aren't close, in my opinion.

I think it's a shame that some use Orlovsky's career against him, when he has only had starts for two terrible teams. I don't expect him to be a solid starter, but I definitely feel he offers more than Moore, who doesn't have the arm to push the ball down the field in this offense.

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

I think the fact that it's compared to the Sanchez butt fumble supports my point: Sanchez ran full speed into the backside of his blocker. Orlovsky, playing for a terrible team deep in his own territory, stepped out of bounds while being pressured immediately by an elite DE. They aren't close, in my opinion.

I think it's a shame that some use Orlovsky's career against him, when he has only had starts for two terrible teams. I don't expect him to be a solid starter, but I definitely feel he offers more than Moore, who doesn't have the arm to push the ball down the field in this offense.

What Orlovsky did was worse than what Sanchez did. IMO.

Sanchez is smart enough not to do that and is the superior player in pretty much every aspect.

Moore may have a weaker arm, but it isn't by much, and he offers far superior intelligence and awareness.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moore offers "far superior intelligence and awareness"? Based on...?

I'm out.

Team Stylish
amaru0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was a lack of awareness, but if he had stopped and taken the sack (and safety) he probably would have been praised for not panicking and throwing a pick 6. It was a funny play, but in no way should it be career defining. The fact that it happened in the 0-16 season magnified it and it served as an example of why we needed a franchise QB; not just because of that play but because our QB play the whole season was that incompetent.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

I'm out.

You say people crucify Dan O for one play then set us up with a perfect opportunity to use that play to point out his utter lack of awareness.

As for this signing, hopefully he wasn't given much if any guaranteed money. No way do I think this signing should stop us from seeking an upgrade in the draft or if some other vet becomes available later.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

I'm out.

I don't think he offers more than Dan O, but I don't think he offers less. Moore hasn't proven he is a failure as a 3rd string QB, Dan O has. And it's not just that play or his time on two terrible teams that make me feel that way. What about signing in. Houston and being beaten out by Rex Grossman as the main backup. And then cut for the likes of mat Leinhart and TJ Yates. And then being beat out in Indy by Curtis Painter for the backup role. Then he goes to Tampa on a 2 year deal and is cut and can't see the field behind Freeman and Glennon. Not one of those other QBs is a decent backup in this league, and he can't beat out any of them. He is a 3rd string at best 30 year old QB with zero upside. I see no point in him being on a roster and wouldn't be shocked if he is cut by training camp. Just an extra body for work outs I am guessing.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
Calvin-Stafford

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

I'm out.

Not one of those other QBs is a decent backup in this league, and he can't beat out any of them.

To be fair, that' s not true, at least as it relates to Tampa Bay. Glennon, for one, would be a very good plug-and-play backup that could be one of the best backups in the league. Freeman still has the potential to come into certain situations and win a few games.
amaru0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin-Stafford wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

I'm out.

Not one of those other QBs is a decent backup in this league, and he can't beat out any of them.

To be fair, that' s not true, at least as it relates to Tampa Bay. Glennon, for one, would be a very good plug-and-play backup that could be one of the best backups in the league. Freeman still has the potential to come into certain situations and win a few games.

Yeah, Freeman has the potential to come in to a situation where his team is up 30 in the 4th and win a few of those. Barely.
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

I'm out.

You say people crucify Dan O for one play then set us up with a perfect opportunity to use that play to point out his utter lack of awareness.

As for this signing, hopefully he wasn't given much if any guaranteed money. No way do I think this signing should stop us from seeking an upgrade in the draft or if some other vet becomes available later.
Agreed. I am not a fan of Moore at all but Danny O is on a similar or lower level of talent than Moore.

Stupid play or no stupid play, he is not a good QB.
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

I'm out.

I don't think he offers more than Dan O, but I don't think he offers less. Moore hasn't proven he is a failure as a 3rd string QB, Dan O has. And it's not just that play or his time on two terrible teams that make me feel that way. What about signing in. Houston and being beaten out by Rex Grossman as the main backup. And then cut for the likes of mat Leinhart and TJ Yates. And then being beat out in Indy by Curtis Painter for the backup role. Then he goes to Tampa on a 2 year deal and is cut and can't see the field behind Freeman and Glennon. Not one of those other QBs is a decent backup in this league, and he can't beat out any of them. He is a 3rd string at best 30 year old QB with zero upside. I see no point in him being on a roster and wouldn't be shocked if he is cut by training camp. Just an extra body for work outs I am guessing.
I expect the Lions to make another move.

I really don't think either Moore or Dan O will be on this roster come the start of the season.
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amaru0 wrote:
Calvin-Stafford wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

I'm out.

Yeah, Freeman has the potential to come in to a situation where his team is up 30 in the 4th and win a few of those. Barely.

Freeman would be an interesting sign. He needs a motivator and someone to help transition him from an immature talent to a mature talent. I think Caldwell could do that.

I do think Freeman would be better than both backups we have.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: