Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions sign Dan Orlovsky to 1-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
I'm not sure how this is better than Moore at #2. Dan O has proven he can't win at this level, so how is that better than someone who hasn't proven it. I'm not saying we should go into the season with. Moore as the primary backup, but I just don't see Dan O offering anything to this team.

It's probably because he is familiar with Caldwell's system

Said the day after the Thanksgiving game.
Calvin-Stafford

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure he was able to get real familiar with that system while helping lead the Colts to an abysmal record. I'm not a fan of this signing at all. If we're going to tank without Stafford and not bother to sign someone who's actually halfway competent at playing QB, at least tank with a developmental guy with upside like Moore or [insert late round QB here]
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin-Stafford wrote:
I'm sure he was able to get real familiar with that system while helping lead the Colts to an abysmal record. I'm not a fan of this signing at all. If we're going to tank without Stafford and not bother to sign someone who's actually halfway competent at playing QB, at least tank with a developmental guy with upside like Moore or [insert late round QB here]

I think its pretty clear an un drafted free agent with zero experience isn't a good choice for a backup QB. The fact the Lions don't have enough faith in him as the backup moving forward should temper everyone's belief that Moore has upside.

Orlovsky's got experience, has served as a backup on numerous teams so it would seem a number of organizations felt he was an adequate backup.

His only starting experience was on dismal teams and he did manage to win 2 of 5 games with the Colts while maintaining a reasonable completion percentage.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
Calvin-Stafford wrote:

I think its pretty clear an un drafted free agent with zero experience isn't a good choice for a backup QB. The fact the Lions don't have enough faith in him as the backup moving forward should temper everyone's belief that Moore has upside.

Orlovsky's got experience, has served as a backup on numerous teams so it would seem a number of organizations felt he was an adequate backup.

His only starting experience was on dismal teams and he did manage to win 2 of 5 games with the Colts while maintaining a reasonable completion percentage.

Agreed. It's easy to not like it as a Lions fan because he was terrible for us, but once you strip that away it's an understandable signing. Hopefully this signing won't have any impact other than freeing up some cap space.

Said the day after the Thanksgiving game.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
I'm not sure how this is better than Moore at #2. Dan O has proven he can't win at this level, so how is that better than someone who hasn't proven it. I'm not saying we should go into the season with. Moore as the primary backup, but I just don't see Dan O offering anything to this team.

Really Slim?

You don't see how Orlovsky is a better option than an un drafted free agent QB that has never taken a regular season snap?

We haven't seen Moore practice etc. Perhaps he's proven he can't contribute at the NFL level yet.

You didn't care that they let Hill walk. If I remember correctly you said all or nothing.

Orlovsky's only starting experience was,

1. On the worst team in NFL history.

2. On a Colts team that received the number one pick. He went 2/3 with a 63%+ completion percentage.

He obviously isn't an all star but given the lack of financial resources the Lions have at their disposal and the fact they're not prepared to commit any real money to a backup then Dan O is one of the better options available.

He's certainly better than Kellen Moore at this stage and its only a one year deal.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. I know some people like this but I'm not a fan.

He didn't do well at Indy at all. Hopefully we can finally get rid of Moore and draft Logan Thomas or Tom Savage to groom.

Sig bet
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:

Really Slim?

You don't see how Orlovsky is a better option than an un drafted free agent QB that has never taken a regular season snap?

We haven't seen Moore practice etc. Perhaps he's proven he can't contribute at the NFL level yet.

You didn't care that they let Hill walk. If I remember correctly you said all or nothing.

2. On a Colts team that received the number one pick. He went 2/3 with a 63%+ completion percentage.

He obviously isn't an all star but given the lack of financial resources the Lions have at their disposal and the fact they're not prepared to commit any real money to a backup then Dan O is one of the better options available.

He's certainly better than Kellen Moore at this stage and its only a one year deal.

I have seen Moore in the preseason, and have read reports he was doing well in previous camps.

I am not saying I am a fan of Moore though, or think he will succeed. I am just saying we might as well give him a chance rather than sign an allready known failure. There are plenty of guys who have been rostered before, that doesnt mean they should be now. Dan O has been 3rd string everywhere he goes and has had chances to play because the first two went down. That doesnt make him a good option. He is still a 3rd string talent and we already have one of those in Moore.

Adopt-A-Lion - Larry Warford, OG as in Original Gangsta
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:

Really Slim?

2. On a Colts team that received the number one pick. He went 2/3 wjith a 63%+ completion percentage.

I have seen Moore in the preseason, and have read reports he was doing well in previous camps.

I am not saying I am a fan of Moore though, or think he will succeed. I am just saying we might as well give him a chance rather than sign an allready known failure. There are plenty of guys who have been rostered before, that doesnt mean they should be now. Dan O has been 3rd string everywhere he goes and has had chances to play because the first two went down. That doesnt make him a good option. He is still a 3rd string talent and we already have one of those in Moore.

It may not be a good option however its an affordable option and based on his signing a better option than Moore who doesn't appear to be an option at all.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Sllim here. IMO Orlovsky has proven he is a #3 at best. At least Moore has Upside(albeit limited) as a #3. I would rather have Moore as the #2. The only thing Orlovsky brings to the table is experience, and it isn't good experience.

What he DOES bring IMO though is another hole filled through FA, allowing the Lions to go BPA during the draft. And that is worth every dime IMO.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
I agree with Sllim here. IMO Orlovsky has proven he is a #3 at best. At least Moore has Upside(albeit limited) as a #3. I would rather have Moore as the #2. The only thing Orlovsky brings to the table is experience, and it isn't good experience.

What he DOES bring IMO though is another hole filled through FA, allowing the Lions to go BPA during the draft. And that is worth every dime IMO.

I don't think backup QB is something we were going to target in the draft. I have always thought a vet would be most likely, just thought it would be something better than Dan O.

And DHLF, I think this signing means they have more faith in Moore than less. It looks to me like they had no interest in spending on a Kolb or Flynn when they may have a decent enough option already here. And again, I am not saying Moore is a good option, just that he is as good as or better than Dan. More of a knock on Dan than hyping up Moore.

Adopt-A-Lion - Larry Warford, OG as in Original Gangsta
MrDirt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If his contract is for the veteran minimum, he won't even count against the cap. It probably doesn't hurt to encourage some competition for the #2 QB spot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I never thought QB was a "target". I do, however, still believe it is a draft possibility. But with DanO on the roster, it makes the position less dire.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
He's not a terrible backup. He just made a bad mistake while playing on a bad Lions team. Unfortunately for him it'll haunt him forever. It's not a bad depth move, and I don't think the Lions stop there in their hunt for a backup QB and/or long term project type guy.

Not only did he take the snap deep in his own end zone, but got pressured quickly by one of the top pass-rushers in the league. It's a shame that he gets crucified for that play.

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He isn't even being crucified, that is an exaggerated perception. But he is considered a #3 for his play, not just THAT play. That, again, is a skewed perception.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
He isn't even being crucified, that is an exaggerated perception. But he is considered a #3 for his play, not just THAT play. That, again, is a skewed perception.

He absolutely does get crucified for that play. I never said that fans base their opinion of him on that play alone.

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: