Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cooks vs. ODB Jr.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Cooks vs. ODB Jr. Reply with quote

So, these are two of the most talked about guys for our pick. Not only here on the board but there is a lot of talk in mock drafts I've seen. On paper these guys are very similar, some will point that Cooks is faster (but is he really that much faster?)

I thought we could get some discussions on the two. Post why X is your favorite etc. Personally I LOVE ODB Jr., the kid catches everything, has straight-line speed and also has elusiveness. He could step directly in to our number 2 WR role, and help with what we lost in the return game with Dex leaving.
Kcpre

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be fine with either, but if both are on the board I'm taking ODB Jr. Cooks may be alittle faster, but other than that Beckham has a much broader skill set to me. He has great hands, can win jump balls, and seems like he could play inside or out. I'm starting to feel like he won't be there when we pick anyways.
Chiefer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already know my answer.

Cooks is a close 2nd though, he's a great fit for the offense too.

Hopefully these guys get past the Iggles/Jets.
bigballin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Brandin Cooks and its really not even close. He was unstoppable in the PAC 12, has elite athleticism, and for a smaller receiver he shows a great ability to go up and get the jump ball.

I'm not that impressed with ODGB at all. He has no special ability that jumps out to me and he looks like a #2 WR; his cieling is Greg Jennings.

I don't think Bowe is a #1 any longer and he should be viewed as a #2 WR. Which is why we should be drafting for a #1 WR.
pauk109

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be happy with either, but my vote goes to Odell Beckham Jr.....10" hands, nearly 33" arms, and 4.4 speed is impressive
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With little time to look up prospects, I'm basically relying on you guys for information, and most of what I've seen suggests we should be very happy about either.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
56 catches, 747 yards, 5 TDs, one very funny obscene gesture, and one fumble that wasn't a fumble
kingseanjohn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauk109 wrote:
I would be happy with either, but my vote goes to Odell Beckham Jr.....10" hands, nearly 33" arms, and 4.4 speed is impressive

Cooks has 9 5/8" hands, nearly 31" arms and 4.33 speed. So hands are pretty much a wash. His arms are obviously two inches shorter. But his speed is a bit better.

I seriously just love the little things he does right. He switches the ball to the outside hand, he is great at toe tapping, he fights for and catches the ball at all points, runs all routes, his stop and go ability reminds me of a young Dante Hall but WAY better, etc.

One thing that stuck out to me watching ODB Jr was that when he jukes or makes a big cut he lets his ball carrying arm go out and/or up away from his body. I worry that the better defenders in the NFL will take advantage.

Here's a recent highlight video from Oregon State with highlights plus stats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfnYcEOHqCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nea1ESUBdTo

Probably my favorite spot that I recommend watching, if not the whole second video:
1:20. Are you kidding me? Avoiding the first tackle, staying in bounds plus his awareness to know he wasn't down and his recovery to get up and out run everyone!

I really don't think they'll both be there at 23. I'm actually quite nervous that Cook and ODB Jr will both be gone. But if both are there, Cooks is obviously my choice.

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: Jamaal Charles
Carries:133/Yds:692/TD:8/YPC:5.2
Rec:22/Yds:148/TD:2
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still in the neither group. I would much rather get OL, DE or OLB. There is also the possibility of a CB sliding

J

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:
I am still in the neither group. I would much rather get OL, DE or OLB. There is also the possibility of a CB sliding

J

BPA guy myself.

Its a Deeeeeeep class someone's gonna fall that shouldn't. Hopefully we can trade back and get some more picks.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good input guys. I really would be ok with most positions, as I think an argument could be made for upgrading many of our positions. Took a look at Shawn King's mock draft 2.0 and he has us going tackle with our pick. That I think is foolish as I think it's the one position we have two quality players at beside CB and RB.

My hope is that at least one of Ha-Ha, Pryor, ODB Jr or Cooks is there. Something about Lee just doesn't impress me, not to mention it seems like USC WRs have not transitioned well to the NFL as of late. Of that group Pryor is probably my least favorite.

In terms of DL I haven't done a LOT of research on it, but I just am not too thrilled with the "first round" grade guys, honestly I think we'd be better off grabbing OL/DL in the third.

I think a trade back would be outstanding, as long as we get good value (adding a 3rd or better) because I do like the depth of this draft. Hopefully a QB slides and someone makes the call to get ahead of the Browns second pick (if they don't take a QB at 5).

I do disagree with ODB's ceiling being Greg Jennings. Though with a decent QB Jennings has proven he can be a number 1 guy in my opinion. I think the ceiling for both ODB and Cooks is Jackson. Which to be honest is a strong WR with good elusiveness and above average speed. I think putting one of these guys opposite of Bowe will drastically elevate Bowe's ability, and I think with a speed guy who can actually catch Alex will go to Bowe a lot more because he might not be covered as well etc. This is my argument for a WR @ 23 if we stay. Being able to take the top off of a defense will make Bowe across the middle, our TEs and JC out of the backfield all that much more dangerous.
samsel23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big no on both DL and OL in the 1st for me.

Tired of spending high picks at both spots.

WR, CB, OLB, S, and possibly QB are the only ones I'd be good with.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both. Tbh as long as it's not Kelvin Benjamin, I'm fine with just about any WR @23

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #50 Justin Houston, OLB
Tackles:59/Sacks:17/FF:13/FR:0
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not typically a big fan of first round wr selections. I mean that in the moment because despite by aversion to pciking WR's in the first.. I've been happy (and I know others aren't but i still am.. he's better than we give him credit for) with Bowe.

That said.. it's not a rule for me.. just a preference.

I do think one of the WR's is probably the best most impactful position choice that will be available to the Chiefs at #23. So this year I'm strongly leaning that way. I don't like the "first round" safety choices this year.

So to the question at hand.. I'd take ODB Jr! I just view him as a very complete receiver. I like my receivers to be balanced in all aspects of the game. While not an absolute burner.. he has speed to run the fly if needed. He has great hands and a big catch radius. He's good after the catch. I even like the LSU thing as it will give Bowe and him a stronger bond. I always loved seeing our DB's look like a core of players that really played well off each other.. I want that in the WR group.

ODB for me!
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Stats: Irrelevant Status: Chief family for life!
Get well soon EB29!!
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooks is a better route runner and has better straight line speed. He's a decent return man too, but nothing out of this world as a returner. He had great lateral agility, but seems to lose speed when cutting while at top speed. He also goes down on first contact more than I'd like. His hands are consistent, but won't make many contested catches in tight coverage in the NFL when the athletes are on his same level of athleticism. A good corner could shut him down unless they can't match him on deep routes. He isn't much of a blocker.

Beckham has amazing hands, maintains his top speed even when cutting and is a great blocker. He also has better vision with the ball in his hands, resulting in more YAC in traffic and much more success in the return game. He has a tendency to round off his routes, but compensates with excellent body control, knowing how to box out defenders and is the best WR since AJ Green at high pointing contested balls in coverage. His top end speed isn't elite, but is good enough to beat his man deep on a few plays per game and he pretty much never goes down on first contact and I've never seen him lay down to avoid a hit. He's tough as hell.

For me, it's THIS GUY if he's there. If he's not, we'll just have to either find a trade down partner or hope a guy like Allen Robinson, Dri Archer or CJ Fedeirowicz falls to us in the 3rd.

Sorry for my absence, guys. Life has been CRAZY lately.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
valkrei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryknowssd wrote:
Cooks is a better route runner and has better straight line speed. He's a decent return man too, but nothing out of this world as a returner. He had great lateral agility, but seems to lose speed when cutting while at top speed. He also goes down on first contact more than I'd like. His hands are consistent, but won't make many contested catches in tight coverage in the NFL when the athletes are on his same level of athleticism. A good corner could shut him down unless they can't match him on deep routes. He isn't much of a blocker.

Quote:
Beckham has amazing hands, maintains his top speed even when cutting and is a great blocker.
He also has better vision with the ball in his hands, resulting in more YAC in traffic and much more success in the return game. He has a tendency to round off his routes, but compensates with excellent body control, knowing how to box out defenders and is the best WR since AJ Green at high pointing contested balls in coverage. His top end speed isn't elite, but is good enough to beat his man deep on a few plays per game and he pretty much never goes down on first contact and I've never seen him lay down to avoid a hit. He's tough as hell.

For me, it's THIS GUY if he's there. If he's not, we'll just have to either find a trade down partner or hope a guy like Allen Robinson, Dri Archer or CJ Fedeirowicz falls to us in the 3rd.

Sorry for my absence, guys. Life has been CRAZY lately.

This is why ODB is the choice.

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: