Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My Mock Draft V1 4-1-14
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
justin_perkins


Joined: 31 Mar 2014
Posts: 68
Location: Michigan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: My Mock Draft V1 4-1-14 Reply with quote

1. Stephon Tuitt, DE Notre Dame
2. Troy Niklas, TE Note Dame
3. Lache Seastrunk, RB Baylor
4. John Halapio, OG Florida
4. Prince Shembo, OLB Notre Dame
6. Dezmen Southward, S Wisconsin
6. Max Bullough, LB Michigan State
7. Jordan Najvar, TE Baylor


What do you think? My second mock this season, my first all Patriots mock.
**Also, some remaining free agents I think the Patriots should look at: OG Travelle Wharton, OG Davin Joseph, WR Miles Austin, DT Kevin Williams, LB Michael Boley, RB Ahmad Bradshaw.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 23463
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My Mock Draft V1 4-1-14 Reply with quote

justin_perkins wrote:
1. Stephon Tuitt, DE Notre Dame
2. Troy Niklas, TE Note Dame
3. Lache Seastrunk, RB Baylor
4. John Halapio, OG Florida
4. Prince Shembo, OLB Notre Dame
6. Dezmen Southward, S Wisconsin
6. Max Bullough, LB Michigan State
7. Jordan Najvar, TE Baylor


What do you think? My second mock this season, my first all Patriots mock.
**Also, some remaining free agents I think the Patriots should look at: OG Travelle Wharton, OG Davin Joseph, WR Miles Austin, DT Kevin Williams, LB Michael Boley, RB Ahmad Bradshaw.


No way is Seastrunk around in the late 3rd.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dhunt2402


Moderator
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Posts: 21891
Location: The District
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My Mock Draft V1 4-1-14 Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
No way is Seastrunk around in the late 3rd.


Why wouldn't he be? He's probably the 4th or 5th best RB in the draft, and the highest I'd take any of them is the mid to late 2nd. It's definitely possible.
_________________

Deadpulse on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigTimePatsFan9


Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 1155
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: My Mock Draft V1 4-1-14 Reply with quote

justin_perkins wrote:
1. Stephon Tuitt, DE Notre Dame
2. Troy Niklas, TE Note Dame
3. Lache Seastrunk, RB Baylor
4. John Halapio, OG Florida
4. Prince Shembo, OLB Notre Dame
6. Dezmen Southward, S Wisconsin
6. Max Bullough, LB Michigan State
7. Jordan Najvar, TE Baylor


What do you think? My second mock this season, my first all Patriots mock.
**Also, some remaining free agents I think the Patriots should look at: OG Travelle Wharton, OG Davin Joseph, WR Miles Austin, DT Kevin Williams, LB Michael Boley, RB Ahmad Bradshaw.


Must be an ND guy. I wouldn't be opposed to Wharton, Williams, or Boley coming in cheap on one year deals. Austin is done. Joseph is a big name but played horribly after getting injured and I'm not a huge fan of Bradshaw.

Not a huge fan of Tuitt but I could live with that. Niklas is a crowd favorite, I just don't want to take a TE that early. Also not a fan of picking a HB early, but I wouldn't be surprised if BB pulled that and Seastrunk would be a solid choice if he went that route.

Anyway, welcome to the site my man! Great work on your first mock and look forward to seeing you around more often.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 23463
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: My Mock Draft V1 4-1-14 Reply with quote

dhunt2402 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
No way is Seastrunk around in the late 3rd.


Why wouldn't he be? He's probably the 4th or 5th best RB in the draft, and the highest I'd take any of them is the mid to late 2nd. It's definitely possible.


The highest you'd take them isn't the highest they will be taken. I'd be very surprised if Seastrunk is still around at the end of round 3. I don't think he lasts past pick 75. I think Hyde, Mason and Sankey probably all go in the 20-50 range and Seastrunk and Hill go 51-80.

I think it's more likely he goes in the 2nd than in the 4th. I'm expecting a run on RB's once the draft gets past the top group of talent (which IMO is about 20 players deep this year).

In the last 8 years, here are how many RB's have gone in the top 90 picks:

2013: 5
2012: 7
2011: 7
2010: 6
2009: 6
2008: 10
2007: 8
2006: 8

Even with the lack of high end talent in this class, I think there's a good bit of depth for rotation and situational type backs - the type of guys who start to come off the board in the early 2nd. Last year's class was probably the worst RB crop ever in terms of top talent but still produced 5 top 90 picks (with Knile Davis going just outside the range at 96th). This year's crop is decidedly better IMO (as prospects).

I know the prevailing sentiment is that RB's have become so devalued that they're not worth taking high and thus they will drop into the 2nd-4th rounds. People have been saying that for half a decade now and yet we still see the late 1st-mid 3rd be a sweet spot for backs to come off the board. This class reminds me a lot of 2011. A lot of guys who will appeal to different teams for different reasons and I wouldn't be surprised to see a run on backs once the top 2 come off.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dhunt2402


Moderator
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Posts: 21891
Location: The District
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hill drop to the 4th or 5th round. Though some idiot GM will probably take him much higher. He's not a draftable prospect in my book.

I'm just not all that excited about any of the top guys in this class. Sankey is the only one I'd spend more than a 3rd on. Not to mention the concerns with Seastrunk's game. Namely that he ran through Mack truck sized holes at Baylor that just aren't going to be there at the next level, and the fact that he showed Blount-esque ability in the passing game at Baylor, both as a blocker and a receiver.
_________________

Deadpulse on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patsfan25


Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 5108
Location: CenCal
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradshaw already resigned with the Colts.
_________________
On Logan Ryan, pre-draft:
patsfan25 wrote:
Logan Ryan will be the steal of the draft.


Aite,

peace.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
keysersoze3421


Moderator
Joined: 08 Mar 2007
Posts: 26328
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to assess the outcome without knowing which other players were on your imaginary board at the time you made those picks. I think you did a great job of drafting for need though.

I like Tuitt's versatility and the fact that he can be moved along the line. He would be a good 5 tech in passing downs, and I think he has the upper body strength to fight through double teams.

Niklas is an excellent blocking TE, stemming from his days as a high school lineman. Because of guys like Julius Thomas and Jimmy Graham that have made tight end transitions from other positions/sports seem smooth, I think Niklas, by year 2 in the NFL, should be a top-tier TE.

Don't love Seastrunk - too E-W for me as a runner. I think he can be an okay committee back, but I think third round is too high for us to take a RB. I would rather sign someone like Andre Brown for a year.

Halapio is an underrated grinder and fills a need area. I like that pick.

Finally, Bullough is undergraded by scouts in my opinion. I think he has the makeup of an important situational inside backer whose smarts outshine his skillset, which is pretty perfect for a Patriot.

Don't know a whole lot about Shembo, Najvar, and Southward.
_________________


animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
derekstanggt


Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 895
Location: Austin
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice assessment, Keys.

I like most of the picks, Justin. I flip flop a lot of Niklas though, because even though I like him, if the Pats draft a TE that high, it's hard for me to overlook Fiedorowicz because of Belichick's Iowa ties.

I'm not a fan of a RB that high with other, more pressing needs. A RB would probably be the #3 option behind Ridley and Vereen, whereas a LB is needed for rotation and immediate depth.

I like Tuitt a lot. I don't know that he'd be the answer for depth at DE and DT, and would also like a late round DT to groom.

There are just so many different ways this draft could go, it's hard to really criticize any mock. I could even see a QB being taken at 29 honestly, if one of the top 4 fell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 23463
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekstanggt wrote:
Nice assessment, Keys.

I like most of the picks, Justin. I flip flop a lot of Niklas though, because even though I like him, if the Pats draft a TE that high, it's hard for me to overlook Fiedorowicz because of Belichick's Iowa ties.

I'm not a fan of a RB that high with other, more pressing needs. A RB would probably be the #3 option behind Ridley and Vereen, whereas a LB is needed for rotation and immediate depth.

I like Tuitt a lot. I don't know that he'd be the answer for depth at DE and DT, and would also like a late round DT to groom.

There are just so many different ways this draft could go, it's hard to really criticize any mock. I could even see a QB being taken at 29 honestly, if one of the top 4 fell.


Any RB the Pats take semi-early would likely split time with Ridley and probably see a lot of snaps. More than a #4 LB I'd think.

That said, a #4 LB is more important and much harder to find so it should be a higher priority. A drafted RB shouldn't be dismissed as a #3 option though because he would likely be the #2 or 1B RB this year and likely the starter next year. Vereen doesn't seem to be a guy they're interested in using a lot as a runner and Bolden is marginal.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
24isthelaw


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 7608
Location: Where the Patriots are
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have Hernandez on the team again than Prince Shembo.
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
derekstanggt


Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 895
Location: Austin
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
derekstanggt wrote:
Nice assessment, Keys.

I like most of the picks, Justin. I flip flop a lot of Niklas though, because even though I like him, if the Pats draft a TE that high, it's hard for me to overlook Fiedorowicz because of Belichick's Iowa ties.

I'm not a fan of a RB that high with other, more pressing needs. A RB would probably be the #3 option behind Ridley and Vereen, whereas a LB is needed for rotation and immediate depth.

I like Tuitt a lot. I don't know that he'd be the answer for depth at DE and DT, and would also like a late round DT to groom.

There are just so many different ways this draft could go, it's hard to really criticize any mock. I could even see a QB being taken at 29 honestly, if one of the top 4 fell.


Any RB the Pats take semi-early would likely split time with Ridley and probably see a lot of snaps. More than a #4 LB I'd think.

That said, a #4 LB is more important and much harder to find so it should be a higher priority. A drafted RB shouldn't be dismissed as a #3 option though because he would likely be the #2 or 1B RB this year and likely the starter next year. Vereen doesn't seem to be a guy they're interested in using a lot as a runner and Bolden is marginal.


Even if a rookie RB does share a big workload like Blount did this year, would he be worth a top 3 round pick with all the capable RBs that can be found later or undrafted? Ridley was drafted so high because a big upgrade was needed over BJGE. Going into next season, Ridley and Vereen are more than capable of handling most of the load IMO, with maybe a later round guy to rest Ridley at times. Last year, Ridley had more carries than Blount (would have been much more if not for being pulled for fumbling a couple games), and Vereen had the third most receptions on the team. I would say both were more valuable than Blount, who was the #3 option.

Also, RB talent this year is pretty poor, lots of mid round grades, talent wise. Based on the Pats' need at RB, and talent available, I don't think value would be there until at earliest late 4th. I've mentioned him before, but Stephen Houston in the 6th would be ideal to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
derekstanggt


Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 895
Location: Austin
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
I'd rather have Hernandez on the team again than Prince Shembo.


Good call, I completely forgot about what he did. Not interested at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 23463
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekstanggt wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
derekstanggt wrote:
Nice assessment, Keys.

I like most of the picks, Justin. I flip flop a lot of Niklas though, because even though I like him, if the Pats draft a TE that high, it's hard for me to overlook Fiedorowicz because of Belichick's Iowa ties.

I'm not a fan of a RB that high with other, more pressing needs. A RB would probably be the #3 option behind Ridley and Vereen, whereas a LB is needed for rotation and immediate depth.

I like Tuitt a lot. I don't know that he'd be the answer for depth at DE and DT, and would also like a late round DT to groom.

There are just so many different ways this draft could go, it's hard to really criticize any mock. I could even see a QB being taken at 29 honestly, if one of the top 4 fell.


Any RB the Pats take semi-early would likely split time with Ridley and probably see a lot of snaps. More than a #4 LB I'd think.

That said, a #4 LB is more important and much harder to find so it should be a higher priority. A drafted RB shouldn't be dismissed as a #3 option though because he would likely be the #2 or 1B RB this year and likely the starter next year. Vereen doesn't seem to be a guy they're interested in using a lot as a runner and Bolden is marginal.


Even if a rookie RB does share a big workload like Blount did this year, would he be worth a top 3 round pick with all the capable RBs that can be found later or undrafted? Ridley was drafted so high because a big upgrade was needed over BJGE. Going into next season, Ridley and Vereen are more than capable of handling most of the load IMO, with maybe a later round guy to rest Ridley at times. Last year, Ridley had more carries than Blount (would have been much more if not for being pulled for fumbling a couple games), and Vereen had the third most receptions on the team. I would say both were more valuable than Blount, who was the #3 option.

Also, RB talent this year is pretty poor, lots of mid round grades, talent wise. Based on the Pats' need at RB, and talent available, I don't think value would be there until at earliest late 4th. I've mentioned him before, but Stephen Houston in the 6th would be ideal to me.


I'm not advocating a 3rd round RB but I certainly wouldn't mind it. Neither if the RB's are signed beyond this year. Ridley can't hold onto the ball and Vereen hasn't been used as a runner much (and can't stay healthy).

You can't go into the draft assuming it will be easy to pick up a quality player late or undrafted. If there's a good value in the 3rd, I'd hope they would strongly consider it.

As it is, the odds of getting a good LB at the end of the 3rd are slim. If they want a guy who can see a lot of snaps next year, they're likely going to have to grab someone in the top 2 rounds
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
derekstanggt


Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 895
Location: Austin
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
derekstanggt wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
derekstanggt wrote:
Nice assessment, Keys.

I like most of the picks, Justin. I flip flop a lot of Niklas though, because even though I like him, if the Pats draft a TE that high, it's hard for me to overlook Fiedorowicz because of Belichick's Iowa ties.

I'm not a fan of a RB that high with other, more pressing needs. A RB would probably be the #3 option behind Ridley and Vereen, whereas a LB is needed for rotation and immediate depth.

I like Tuitt a lot. I don't know that he'd be the answer for depth at DE and DT, and would also like a late round DT to groom.

There are just so many different ways this draft could go, it's hard to really criticize any mock. I could even see a QB being taken at 29 honestly, if one of the top 4 fell.


Any RB the Pats take semi-early would likely split time with Ridley and probably see a lot of snaps. More than a #4 LB I'd think.

That said, a #4 LB is more important and much harder to find so it should be a higher priority. A drafted RB shouldn't be dismissed as a #3 option though because he would likely be the #2 or 1B RB this year and likely the starter next year. Vereen doesn't seem to be a guy they're interested in using a lot as a runner and Bolden is marginal.


Even if a rookie RB does share a big workload like Blount did this year, would he be worth a top 3 round pick with all the capable RBs that can be found later or undrafted? Ridley was drafted so high because a big upgrade was needed over BJGE. Going into next season, Ridley and Vereen are more than capable of handling most of the load IMO, with maybe a later round guy to rest Ridley at times. Last year, Ridley had more carries than Blount (would have been much more if not for being pulled for fumbling a couple games), and Vereen had the third most receptions on the team. I would say both were more valuable than Blount, who was the #3 option.

Also, RB talent this year is pretty poor, lots of mid round grades, talent wise. Based on the Pats' need at RB, and talent available, I don't think value would be there until at earliest late 4th. I've mentioned him before, but Stephen Houston in the 6th would be ideal to me.


I'm not advocating a 3rd round RB but I certainly wouldn't mind it. Neither if the RB's are signed beyond this year. Ridley can't hold onto the ball and Vereen hasn't been used as a runner much (and can't stay healthy).

You can't go into the draft assuming it will be easy to pick up a quality player late or undrafted. If there's a good value in the 3rd, I'd hope they would strongly consider it.

As it is, the odds of getting a good LB at the end of the 3rd are slim. If they want a guy who can see a lot of snaps next year, they're likely going to have to grab someone in the top 2 rounds


Which I'm all for as well.

I see DE, DT, TE, LB and perhaps OL as bigger needs than RB. Which is why I really don't want to draft a RB anywhere before round 4. I see your point on Ridley and Vereen though. Seeing as I feel so strongly on this, I just know Bill will draft a 2nd rd RB and wait until the 6th for a LB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group