Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GERM-X: 2nd 2014 Bronco Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winder23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
I've become a fan of Borland. Only seen a small bit of film but he never seems to take a wrong step, critical for a MLB who basically plays a 5-10 yard game.

I really could care less about a slow 40 speed at that position or shuttle for that matter. What difference does "recovery speed" make when a wrong step, mis-diagnosis, poor play recognition, etc will cost you several 1/10's and probably any chance at making a play. This kid can play!

We could maybe trade further down and still get him but IMO he'll play at a high level in the NFL for a long time and would be a great selection at #40.. Very very safe pick and the kind of defensive stalwart every team can use, not flashy but extremely productive.
The description you give sounds like a third or fourth round pick to me. Not a fan of short MLB's. Al Wilson (overrated) was short and it hurt him in coverage. Short arms and short stature is a problem. No doubt a fine football player, but imo he will be average in the NFL.
germ-x

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackedUP wrote:
Not a fan of this mock at all..It doesn't deliver any top tier players that we can build upon in the future and use right away. It seems like a bunch of average depth players when we need guys with more upside, even to make our roster guys will have to be pretty good and I see some of these picks as wastes.

As i said before, outside of MLB and CB i really don't see a rookie coming in and starting in 2014 for the Broncos. Denver has put together the best team they've had since the 97-98 Super Bowl teams and nearly every position is filled with quality veterans. Further, over the last 2 draft classes Denver has only had 1 rookie earn a starting job from day 1 and that was Derek Wolfe.

Now, i'm not saying some rookies won't contribute because they will as situational players or due to injury similar to Montee Ball, Kayvon Webster, and Sylvester Williams just to name a few. However, just because they aren't making an immediate impact doesn't mean they lack the talent or upside, this has just been a very well built football team over the last 2 years.

I also see upside with this draft, the first 5 selections i believe all of the upside of being future starters for the Denver Broncos. Now, the likelihood of that happening is slim, but that type of upside is there.

The final point that i would like to emphasize is that Denver doesn't get mesmerized by measurables, especially early in the draft. Really of the 3 drafts under Elway the only 1st or 2nd round pick Denver has selected that stood out from both a production + measurable standpoint was Von Miller and he was the #2 pick in the draft. The rest of their picks in terms of measurables for their position were right around average. Rahim Moore, Orlando Franklin, Derek Wolfe, Sylvester Williams, and Montee Ball aren't going to blow anyone away when looking at their combine numbers, honestly, most of them were pretty underwhelming. Further, in 3 drafts Denver has only selected 3 players with 4.4 speed and all of them were in the 3rd round and later. Ronnie Hillman, Kayvon Webster, and Tavarres King.

That isn't to say that Denver would never draft a guy with terrific measurables early, but i personally believe that Denver puts more stock in other qualities, like the intangible side of the game.
germ-x

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
I've become a fan of Borland. Only seen a small bit of film but he never seems to take a wrong step, critical for a MLB who basically plays a 5-10 yard game.

I really could care less about a slow 40 speed at that position or shuttle for that matter. What difference does "recovery speed" make when a wrong step, mis-diagnosis, poor play recognition, etc will cost you several 1/10's and probably any chance at making a play. This kid can play!

We could maybe trade further down and still get him but IMO he'll play at a high level in the NFL for a long time and would be a great selection at #40.. Very very safe pick and the kind of defensive stalwart every team can use, not flashy but extremely productive.
The description you give sounds like a third or fourth round pick to me. Not a fan of short MLB's. Al Wilson (overrated) was short and it hurt him in coverage. Short arms and short stature is a problem. No doubt a fine football player, but imo he will be average in the NFL.

I don't disagree with this. Borland will have some struggles in coverage, especially if he gets mismatched on a TE. However, he really is a special talent vs the run. As i have stated a few times, he gets to ball carriers quicker than any LB in this draft. His recognition, instincts, and quickness are also apparent in zone coverage, where he is quite good.
howie102

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:

I don't disagree with this. Borland will have some struggles in coverage, especially if he gets mismatched on a TE. However, he really is a special talent vs the run. As i have stated a few times, he gets to ball carriers quicker than any LB in this draft. His recognition, instincts, and quickness are also apparent in zone coverage, where he is quite good.

Whats the general take on his leadership? I certainly wouldnt object to him if he has the capability to step in and take control.

Aside from that, I quite like the draft. Saw a few Cal games this year and there were a couple of standouts on what was a car crash of a team.

Thoughts on Keith McGill being available for our 2nd 2nd-rounder? Gone to Jax by then?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

howie102 wrote:
germ-x wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:

Whats the general take on his leadership? I certainly wouldnt object to him if he has the capability to step in and take control.

Aside from that, I quite like the draft. Saw a few Cal games this year and there were a couple of standouts on what was a car crash of a team.

Thoughts on Keith McGill being available for our 2nd 2nd-rounder? Gone to Jax by then?

From everything i have read Borland works his tail off both on and off the field and almost any scouting report you read on him you'll find the word leader.

I think he could be available. I read on rotoworld yesterday that according to Tony Pauline the consensus around the NFL is that McGill is a safety. Who knows though a lot of stuff is flying around this time of year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: