Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bill O'Brien Townhall
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Texans will play Nickle? How often did they play Nickle the past couple of years with Phillips? Am I wrong to assume the Texans played dime most of the time?

If Brandin Cooks is there at pick 33 will the Texans select him? Does O'Brien think he can find a solid slot receiver later in the rounds? Who can will that be?

So many questions.
treece300e

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're going to be in nickel most of the time, I think we have to draft a CB early. I think there's a growing likelihood that Jason Verrett will be available at #33, and I really hope we pull the trigger.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treece300e wrote:
If we're going to be in nickel most of the time, I think we have to draft a CB early. I think there's a growing likelihood that Jason Verrett will be available at #33, and I really hope we pull the trigger.

Adding Clowney & Verrett would solidify this defense for the next 8 years and give O'Brien some time to rebuild the offense for 2015. I am hoping that O'Brien is reviewing not just the 2013 tape, but 2011 & 2012 where no matter what Schaub did, the Patriots, Packers and every other team with a fairly decent QB and 3 or 4 credible targets was going to destroy us. We aren't getting past Manning and Welker with this secondary and I'm sure O'Brien knows it. Verrett would finally bring us the man to man coverage skill we have lacked along with actual speed to hang with today's slot receivers who not only convert 3rd downs at the sticks, but are burners who can kill you deep. We have had zero answers for TY Hilton the past two seasons and watch out for my boy Kendall Wright to take that year 3 leap if they can get him a QB who can hit him beyond 10 yards. Sure, the knock on Verrett is size, but he's not Brice McCain who never had 4.38 speed or any semblance of man to man cover skills. Kareem is a FA next year as well and it sure would make sense to have an in house option to promote if he plays like he has 3 of his 4 seasons in the league or even if he plays like 2012 and wants to be paid #1 CB money as he most assuredly IS NOT a #1 and I still think he's a mediocre #2 at best. If Verrett is gone, I would also strongly consider Lamarcus Joyner who also fits the mold as a big time playmaker who could shut down the slot.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Grasspike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
treece300e wrote:

Adding Clowney & Verrett would solidify this defense for the next 8 years and give O'Brien some time to rebuild the offense for 2015. I am hoping that O'Brien is reviewing not just the 2013 tape, but 2011 & 2012 where no matter what Schaub did, the Patriots, Packers and every other team with a fairly decent QB and 3 or 4 credible targets was going to destroy us. We aren't getting past Manning and Welker with this secondary and I'm sure O'Brien knows it. Verrett would finally bring us the man to man coverage skill we have lacked along with actual speed to hang with today's slot receivers who not only convert 3rd downs at the sticks, but are burners who can kill you deep. We have had zero answers for TY Hilton the past two seasons and watch out for my boy Kendall Wright to take that year 3 leap if they can get him a QB who can hit him beyond 10 yards. Sure, the knock on Verrett is size, but he's not Brice McCain who never had 4.38 speed or any semblance of man to man cover skills. Kareem is a FA next year as well and it sure would make sense to have an in house option to promote if he plays like he has 3 of his 4 seasons in the league or even if he plays like 2012 and wants to be paid #1 CB money as he most assuredly IS NOT a #1 and I still think he's a mediocre #2 at best. If Verrett is gone, I would also strongly consider Lamarcus Joyner who also fits the mold as a big time playmaker who could shut down the slot.

Sorry to fact check you, but McCain's 4.33 40 was the only reason he was drafted.

Sig by matthouston91
jch1911

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
treece300e wrote:
I think there's a growing likelihood that Jason Verrett will be available at #33, and I really hope we pull the trigger.

Sure, the knock on Verrett is size, but he's not Brice McCain who never had 4.38 speed or any semblance of man to man cover skills.

Sorry to fact check you, but McCain's 4.33 40 was the only reason he was drafted.
I thought Apollo was intimating that McCain didn't play to his speed (i.e. getting beat deep, being out of position, or simply just being thrown over because of his height). A player his height (5'9" in shoes) is going to need a 40" vertical and long arms to compensate for a lack of size.

Verrett has a 39" / 39.5" vertical, is almost 5'10" (5'9" 1/2 IIRC), and has almost 31" arms. So he already looks to be a better CB than McCain.

That being said, I would be okay with getting Phillip Gaines (Rice) in the middle of the 3rd because I think he has the tools to develop into a #1.
Grasspike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
treece300e wrote:
I think there's a growing likelihood that Jason Verrett will be available at #33, and I really hope we pull the trigger.

Sure, the knock on Verrett is size, but he's not Brice McCain who never had 4.38 speed or any semblance of man to man cover skills.

I thought Apollo was intimating that McCain didn't play to his speed (i.e. getting beat deep, being out of position, or simply just being thrown over because of his height). A player his height (5'9" in shoes) is going to need a 40" vertical and long arms to compensate for a lack of size.

Verrett has a 39" / 39.5" vertical, is almost 5'10" (5'9" 1/2 IIRC), and has almost 31" arms. So he already looks to be a better CB than McCain.

That being said, I would be okay with getting Phillip Gaines (Rice) in the middle of the 3rd because I think he has the tools to develop into a #1.

Regardless of physical attributes, Verrett is just the better player. McCain had a 36.5" vertical and likely similar arm length (31" isn't particularly long for a 5-9 player). The reason he got beat so often was because he wasn't skilled enough, not because he was a scrub athlete.

Tools are overrated. Wes Welker has the same measurables I do. I never saw the field for an FCS school while he'll end up top 20 all time in receiving yards. The keys are natural talent (by which I mean skill) and work ethic. Brandon Flowers is essentially the same height but slower and less explosive than either McCain or Verrett, and he turned out to be a pretty good pro.

Sig by matthouston91
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
treece300e wrote:

Correct. I am well aware of McCain's timed speed. It's the only reason he got drafted, because he wasn't a very good college football player (just like Antwaun Molden who Rick drafted for his 40 time the year before). McCain didn't show that speed in college and didn't as a pro. If Verrett were an inch and a half taller, we'd be talking about him as a top 10 pick. So apparently, we've learned that QBs can succeed at 5'11, but being an inch shorter than Revis makes you a 2nd rounder? I'd gladly make the rest of the league look short-sighted on this one.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
buckwild

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
treece300e wrote:

Why is everyone on this forum in love with Phillip Gaines. Wow, he ran fast at the Combine, but what did he do in college and against what competition?

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Marco79

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
treece300e wrote:

Why is everyone on this forum in love with Phillip Gaines. Wow, he ran fast at the Combine, but what did he do in college and against what competition?

He has great measurables and he absolutely dominated in college, yes against lesser competition and that is why he is going to be mid-round pick.
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redox wrote:
The Texans will play Nickle? How often did they play Nickle the past couple of years with Phillips? Am I wrong to assume the Texans played dime most of the time?

If Brandin Cooks is there at pick 33 will the Texans select him? Does O'Brien think he can find a solid slot receiver later in the rounds? Who can will that be?

So many questions.

There's no way Cooks is there at 33. I think there will be a run on WRs in the first round, and Cooks is arguably the third best receiver in this years class.

LORK88
texanteddyp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
Redox wrote:

So many questions.

There's no way Cooks is there at 33. I think there will be a run on WRs in the first round, and Cooks is arguably the third best receiver in this years class.

They're better off hoping wr robert herron is there in the 4th-5th round.........or jared abbrederris......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: