Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bill O'Brien Townhall
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shep0507

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Bill O'Brien Townhall Reply with quote

An article on State of the Texans touched on the Townhall meeting with season ticket holders.

Some of the highlights were:

J.J. Watt will be moved around in the Crennel痴 3-4 defense. The Texans will be in nickel 70% of the time.

- Head Coach Bill O達rien has left the door open for the possible return of Danieal Manning to the Texans

- Bill O達rien feels the Texans offense does not have a slot wide receiver right now. He says it is an important piece of the offense.

- There will be a quarterback competition with Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum and T.J. Yates. O達rien said there will be a drafted quarterback in camp and even mentioned there could be two rookies in camp.

- The quarterback will have more control at the line of scrimmage.

- As for the quarterback, O達rien wants accuracy over a cannon arm for a starting quarterback in the NFL. Wants him to be the hardest working guy on the team.

What are your thoughts on the notes from the meeting?
shep0507

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill O'Brien Townhall Reply with quote

shep0507 wrote:

Some of my thoughts on this:

- Head Coach Bill O達rien has left the door open for the possible return of Danieal Manning to the Texans -- I think they're banking on Manning not getting more than the team was offering, but I'm not sure that he'll be back. It would be nice, but I think someone will sign him.

- There will be a quarterback competition with Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum and T.J. Yates. O達rien said there will be a drafted quarterback in camp and even mentioned there could be two rookies in camp.

- As for the quarterback, O達rien wants accuracy over a cannon arm for a starting quarterback in the NFL. Wants him to be the hardest working guy on the team.

These three notes are somewhat contradicting to me, but it also leads me to believe that he knows who he wants in the draft and in my opinion, based off of his wants it leads to fewer possibilities in the draft and more specifically, Teddy Bridgewater. I also think this sounds like he may go after a Tom Savage type late and that either Yates, Keenum or both will be gone.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Bill O'Brien Townhall Reply with quote

shep0507 wrote:
shep0507 wrote:

- Head Coach Bill O達rien has left the door open for the possible return of Danieal Manning to the Texans -- I think they're banking on Manning not getting more than the team was offering, but I'm not sure that he'll be back. It would be nice, but I think someone will sign him.

- As for the quarterback, O達rien wants accuracy over a cannon arm for a starting quarterback in the NFL. Wants him to be the hardest working guy on the team. -- These three notes are somewhat contradicting to me, but it also leads me to believe that he knows who he wants in the draft and in my opinion, based off of his wants it leads to fewer possibilities in the draft and more specifically, Teddy Bridgewater. I also think this sounds like he may go after a Tom Savage type late and that either Yates, Keenum or both will be gone.

Screams Teddy to me
RandomCampBody

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bill O'Brien Townhall Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
shep0507 wrote:
shep0507 wrote:

- As for the quarterback, O達rien wants accuracy over a cannon arm for a starting quarterback in the NFL. Wants him to be the hardest working guy on the team. -- These three notes are somewhat contradicting to me, but it also leads me to believe that he knows who he wants in the draft and in my opinion, based off of his wants it leads to fewer possibilities in the draft and more specifically, Teddy Bridgewater. I also think this sounds like he may go after a Tom Savage type late and that either Yates, Keenum or both will be gone.

Screams Teddy to me

It does but there is no chance he is going to the texans unless he takes a dramatic fall which reading the rumours might not be far off reality.
dsorc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bill O'Brien Townhall Reply with quote

RandomCampBody wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

Screams Teddy to me

It does but there is no chance he is going to the texans unless he takes a dramatic fall which reading the rumours might not be far off reality.

Or, you know, we could take him with our first pick.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bill O'Brien Townhall Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
RandomCampBody wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

Screams Teddy to me

I just cannot see that happening, not with all the buzz that he is falling.
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bill O'Brien Townhall Reply with quote

RandomCampBody wrote:
dsorc wrote:
RandomCampBody wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

Screams Teddy to me

Smokescreens and nfl offseason need for buzz.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important thing in that piece was the nickel. Will we use Swearinger as a defacto ILB? Do we make a 2nd ILB a bigger draft need? We need a nickel corner.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
48 tot, 1 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
shep0507

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
The most important thing in that piece was the nickel. Will we use Swearinger as a defacto ILB? Do we make a 2nd ILB a bigger draft need? We need a nickel corner.

I had originally intended to address the nickel reference in my follow up post, but the QB part was more intriguing up front. I've thought for the last couple of seasons that they needed to address ILB early in the draft, if for no other reason than Cushing keeps getting hurt. ILB has been a thin group, and when he goes down, the defense has fallen apart the last two seasons. If you draft for the 2nd ILB, you get an instant starter, but if Cushing goes down again, you have someone to take over his role. I also believe that they will target someone for that nickel corner role, whether they are a saftey that can cover, or a true nickel corner.
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that our QB will be given freedom at the LOS.
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill O'Brien Townhall Reply with quote

RandomCampBody wrote:
dsorc wrote:
RandomCampBody wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

Screams Teddy to me

First I don't understand why we'd have to wait for Bridgewater when we're drafting #1 overall. Second, just because he's falling on website big boards that fluctuate almost daily in order to generate buzz from the sheeple doesn't mean that he's falling on team big boards. Teams don't use Walter, CBS, PFF, etc... to rank players, they use their own eyes, ears, and experience etc... to rank players. Teams don't have to change their boards all the time in order to generate hits to their company website or spout off with giberish just to get noticed.

It does seem that nickle has become the new base defense with the NFL becoming a passing league. I think Brandon Harris will take over at nickle, but then we'll have to draft someone to take his place on the depth chart. I just hope we have much better talent evaluators than we did in the past.

I also think that in the new 2 gap 3-4 system Cushing won't be taking the pounding that he used to take, hopefully this equates to fewer injuries. With a real NT in front of him that will be taking up blockers hopefully Cushing won't have to be taking on so many big guys up front.
shep0507

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill O'Brien Townhall Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
RandomCampBody wrote:
dsorc wrote:
RandomCampBody wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

Screams Teddy to me

First I don't understand why we'd have to wait for Bridgewater when we're drafting #1 overall. Second, just because he's falling on website big boards that fluctuate almost daily in order to generate buzz from the sheeple doesn't mean that he's falling on team big boards. Teams don't use Walter, CBS, PFF, etc... to rank players, they use their own eyes, ears, and experience etc... to rank players. Teams don't have to change their boards all the time in order to generate hits to their company website or spout off with giberish just to get noticed.

It does seem that nickle has become the new base defense with the NFL becoming a passing league. I think Brandon Harris will take over at nickle, but then we'll have to draft someone to take his place on the depth chart. I just hope we have much better talent evaluators than we did in the past.

I also think that in the new 2 gap 3-4 system Cushing won't be taking the pounding that he used to take, hopefully this equates to fewer injuries. With a real NT in front of him that will be taking up blockers hopefully Cushing won't have to be taking on so many big guys up front.

This whole Teddy Bridgewater draft stock thing has gotten fairly ridiculous if you ask me. So he had an "average" pro day. And? Based off of every bit of tape that all of these "experts" watched throughout the past couple of seasons, he was the best and most pro ready QB in the draft, and by many accounts possibly the best player overall. He shows great pocket presence, decision making ability and complete control over his college system, including checks, audibles and full field reads. Now all of the sudden he doesn't do any of that anymore? Why, because he missed some throws on his pro day?

Bill O'Brien said he wants a smart, hardworking, accurate QB with the ability to process pre and post snap reads quickly and put the ball in the best possible place. He wants him to have more control at the line than Houston has had. He wants someone that eats, sleeps and breathes football.

Tell me where any of what O'Brien wants doesn't apply to Teddy Bridgewater. If you're being honest, all signs point to TB and in all likelihood, O'Brien is specifically talking about Bridgewater.

Now, if a probable 1st round QB fits what you want in your system, almost to a T, why take the chance by waiting? What if someone else takes him? If they want Teddy Bridgewater, they better take him #1 and ignore his supposed "value". I'd love to get him at 33, but if you take that chance, you may miss on him. I'd rather get him at 1 than have to watch him in Jacksonville two games a year.
texans_uk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill O'Brien Townhall Reply with quote

shep0507 wrote:
shep0507 wrote:

These three notes are somewhat contradicting to me, but it also leads me to believe that he knows who he wants in the draft and in my opinion, based off of his wants it leads to fewer possibilities in the draft and more specifically, Teddy Bridgewater. I also think this sounds like he may go after a Tom Savage type late and that either Yates, Keenum or both will be gone.

How are the bolded contradicting?

He wants to give an accurate, hard working QB more control at the LOS.

Wolf6151

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill O'Brien Townhall Reply with quote

shep0507 wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:
RandomCampBody wrote:
dsorc wrote:
RandomCampBody wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

Screams Teddy to me

This whole Teddy Bridgewater draft stock thing has gotten fairly ridiculous if you ask me. So he had an "average" pro day. And? Based off of every bit of tape that all of these "experts" watched throughout the past couple of seasons, he was the best and most pro ready QB in the draft, and by many accounts possibly the best player overall. He shows great pocket presence, decision making ability and complete control over his college system, including checks, audibles and full field reads. Now all of the sudden he doesn't do any of that anymore? Why, because he missed some throws on his pro day?

Bill O'Brien said he wants a smart, hardworking, accurate QB with the ability to process pre and post snap reads quickly and put the ball in the best possible place. He wants him to have more control at the line than Houston has had. He wants someone that eats, sleeps and breathes football.

Tell me where any of what O'Brien wants doesn't apply to Teddy Bridgewater. If you're being honest, all signs point to TB and in all likelihood, O'Brien is specifically talking about Bridgewater.

Now, if a probable 1st round QB fits what you want in your system, almost to a T, why take the chance by waiting? What if someone else takes him? If they want Teddy Bridgewater, they better take him #1 and ignore his supposed "value". I'd love to get him at 33, but if you take that chance, you may miss on him. I'd rather get him at 1 than have to watch him in Jacksonville two games a year.

Thank You, I couldn't have said it any better.
shep0507

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill O'Brien Townhall Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
shep0507 wrote:
shep0507 wrote:

How are the bolded contradicting?

He wants to give an accurate, hard working QB more control at the LOS.

Sorry, the way I wrote that is confusing. The bold sections spoke more to my opinion that Teddy Bridgewater fits these parts of the conversation.

The contradiction to me comes from BOB saying that there would be a competition between Fitz, Yates and Keenum/that there would be 1-2 rookies in camp/he lists the things that he wants his QB to do.

The contradiction to me is that Yates and Keenum have yet to show that they have the traits that he's looking for and also he singled out the three on board QBs and didn't include the rookie(s) in the competition.

I have since started to believe that what he means by that is that Fitz, Yates and Keenum are in competition to see who gets to stay. A drafted rookie will be almost a lock to stay and Fitz was brought in to be the veteran presence so I think he's in. It sounds like to me the competition will be between an UDFA rookie, Yates and Keenum to see who the third QB is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: