Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rams Sign WR Kenny Britt (1y/1.4m)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
zn wrote:
IMO it's a bad move if it prevents the Rams from drafting a receiver.

Doesn't matter if in itself the signing is low risk--if it excludes other, better possibilities then it's not worth the risk.

Besides, if it is true that he has 0.5 M guaranteed in his contract, then they're pretty much stuck with him all year.

In terms of character issues he's not winning points with me. This bit is from Wagoner's article on the signing:

Quote:
At the end of the season, Britt said he felt he was the victim of a double standard with the Titans, that he was punished more harshly for dropping catchable passes than other receivers.

"If you go back and see film, and look at how they treated me and everyone else throughout the year and at the beginning of the year – the first two games — I could say that," he said. "But it's something I really don't want to speak out there to the world because it doesn't really matter to me anymore. Right now, I'm just focusing on me and what I need to do next year."

He actually pulled the "this happened and I feel like this about it but I will never talk about it in public" routine. Yeah Kenny...it IS something you spoke about to the world. You did it in the same sentence where you said you wouldn't.

Also, one way to not get harshly treated for drops is...not to have drops. Shrug.

An one year prove it deal is not going to influence draft strategy. Drafting is done with the long run in mind.

Britt will no more influence our plans than Greg Reid or Alex Carrington will.

You might be right about that, you might not, but IMO the move makes no sense unless it IS seen as being tied to draft plans.

When it comes to that, he is a more senior player--his situation is not like Reid's in that respect. Reid was not a case of adding a veteran to a young group. Carrington, on the other hand, is clearly targeted as a 3rd DT for rotations. His role is clear. What is Britt's role? And what was the point of signing him...and not, say, a guard...unless they expect him to jump ahead of some WRs they have? On the other hand, if they draft someone high at WR (1st round)...what point was there in signing Britt?

SAK11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
SAK11 wrote:
Lets not pretend this dude has number 1 potential, just another 3rd or 4th, as if the team doesn't have enough of those. Hasn't been the same since his knee injury a couple years back, has off field issues, and even before the knee injury he never put it all together for a great season. Cheap signing so it's no big deal, just don't see the point.

Ok we wont pretend, because he does have the POTENTIAL.

I get that some people arent crazy about him or the signing, but everyone needs to be able to recognize that there is very little risk in this signing.

No he doesn't, you're living in 2011 if you really believe that. I think pretty well everyone sees there's little risk to the signing, but people should also realize the potential upside isn't as high as some like you make it out to be. A number 1 WR should go for 1200 yards, 8-10 TDs and 80 catches. Let's see how close he gets to that.
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zn wrote:
You might be right about that, you might not, but IMO the move makes no sense unless it IS seen as being tied to draft plans.

When it comes to that, he is a more senior player--his situation is not like Reid's in that respect. Reid was not a case of adding a veteran to a young group. Carrington, on the other hand, is clearly targeted as a 3rd DT for rotations. His role is clear. What is Britt's role? And what was the point of signing him...and not, say, a guard...unless they expect him to jump ahead of some WRs they have? On the other hand, if they draft someone high at WR (1st round)...what point was there in signing Britt?

Disagree 100% with this notion. Kenny Britt will not affect their draft plans at WR. Why is that hard to comprehend? If they feel like their is a guy they want and can't pass on they'll take him. A guy on a 1 yr deal isn't going to deter that. You're drafting for the future as well, not just 2014...

Britt's role on this team is just like any of the others. Be a productive player. It's time some of these young guys start getting pushed. They need it IMO. Competition brings out the best in people...

Who's to say they aren't going to be signing a OG still. They're still in the market for a veteran according to JT...

If Britt doesn't look like what we thought, he can easily be released. 550K gauranateed is next to nothing for an NFL team. It's like me giving someone $5 out of my pockets when others are getting $500...

Seems like you're worried about nothing...

IDOG_det on the sig...
BEASToftheEAST4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Rams pass on Sammy Watkins, it will be because they prefer another prospect over him, not because Britt is on the team. That's like last year, when people thought us signing Titus Young would potentially alter our draft plans and have us avoiding taking a WR. That was before Young was released obviously due to him being an idiot. That said, if Britt continues his off the field antics, I'm sure the Rams won't hesitate to give him the same treatment.

^El Ramster^
Ray

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets not forget, that it was Blain Gabbert throwing the ball to him, this signing makes sense for both Quick and Britt in which both players can push it other, because in my mind they both have something to prove and if Sam Bradford is to have a break out season it will pay off.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAK11 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:
SAK11 wrote:
Lets not pretend this dude has number 1 potential, just another 3rd or 4th, as if the team doesn't have enough of those. Hasn't been the same since his knee injury a couple years back, has off field issues, and even before the knee injury he never put it all together for a great season. Cheap signing so it's no big deal, just don't see the point.

Ok we wont pretend, because he does have the POTENTIAL.

I get that some people arent crazy about him or the signing, but everyone needs to be able to recognize that there is very little risk in this signing.

No he doesn't, you're living in 2011 if you really believe that. I think pretty well everyone sees there's little risk to the signing, but people should also realize the potential upside isn't as high as some like you make it out to be. A number 1 WR should go for 1200 yards, 8-10 TDs and 80 catches. Let's see how close he gets to that.

Regardless when it was, he has shown it before-- the potential. Im not saying he will or even that there is a 50/50 chance (Im trying to avoid percentages here). All Im saying is the potential is there, and you or anyone else is more than welcome to disagree with your opinion, but nobody can say for a fact that its not at all possible.

1. Marcus Mariota
2. Jameis Winston
3. Brett Hundley
cover2man_flats

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you have strong locker room leaders, that tends to swing away from idiot moves and off the field issues. A young receiver with great potential for a year...I don't see the problem. I think he realizes the opportunity for a fresh start here, and if he doesn't, then he will be let go as quickly as he was picked up. I believe his drops had more to do with his off the field issues causing him not to focus. I think we may still figure out a way to get Watkins, even with the signing of Britt. The moves will prove to motivate our other WR's.
zn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
zn wrote:

Disagree 100% with this notion. Kenny Britt will not affect their draft plans at WR. Why is that hard to comprehend? If they feel like their is a guy they want and can't pass on they'll take him. A guy on a 1 yr deal isn't going to deter that. You're drafting for the future as well, not just 2014...

Britt's role on this team is just like any of the others. Be a productive player. It's time some of these young guys start getting pushed. They need it IMO. Competition brings out the best in people...

Who's to say they aren't going to be signing a OG still. They're still in the market for a veteran according to JT...

If Britt doesn't look like what we thought, he can easily be released. 550K gauranateed is next to nothing for an NFL team. It's like me giving someone $5 out of my pockets when others are getting $500...

Seems like you're worried about nothing...

Well, your opinion on this is not especially hard to comprehend, I just don't agree with it.

And of course I said the issue for me isn't whether Britt can be released without much of a cap hit. For me, it's that Fisher may think he now doesn't have to add a receiver.

In terms of signing a guard, they just whittled down their cap space, so I am not sure they can.

Hoping the WRs they have will develop is, to me anyway, not a way to build a WR corps. And in terms of being pushed, I doubt Britt is the guy to push them.

It seems we just have different opinions on a matter where no one really knows anything for certain.

That's cool, right? Cool

iRaMs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I really seeing this much discontent over this signing? Its pretty much peanuts what we are giving him. Does he still have potential? yes. Will he ever live up to it? Probably not, but it is still there. If he doesn't big deal, it didn't cost us an arm and a leg to sign him.

zn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iRaMs wrote:
Am I really seeing this much discontent over this signing? Its pretty much peanuts what we are giving him. Does he still have potential? yes. Will he ever live up to it? Probably not, but it is still there. If he doesn't big deal, it didn't cost us an arm and a leg to sign him.

But...has anyone objected to the cost? That isn't the issue people have raised, right? It has to do with the possibility that Fisher thinks he has now added all he needs to the WR corps.

Some people think that's possible, some don't. Some people think the WRs are fine as is, some don't. It's not "discontent," it's just different opinions in discussion.

ajhicks11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zn wrote:
iRaMs wrote:

But...has anyone objected to the cost? That isn't the issue people have raised, right? It has to do with the possibility that Fisher thinks he has now added all he needs to the WR corps.

Some people think that's possible, some don't. Some people think the WRs are fine as is, some don't. It's not "discontent," it's just different opinions in discussion.

Before this signing I felt that our front office was content with our WR corp. I will continue to do so. This signing is nothing more than competition in camp and possibly through out the season.

Britt and Quick are similar players. Britt being the one who has produced more. This could be the perfect signing to really light a fire under Quick.

I like it.
zn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajhicks11 wrote:
zn wrote:
iRaMs wrote:

Before this signing I felt that our front office was content with our WR corp. I will continue to do so. This signing is nothing more than competition in camp and possibly through out the season.

Britt and Quick are similar players. Britt being the one who has produced more. This could be the perfect signing to really light a fire under Quick.

I like it.

A lot of people are asserting their opinions on this. It's talked about everywhere. It's interesting to see how different all the opinions are. But that's what happens when we don't really know what they're thinking...which is how things ought to be right now. Anyway, they are just opinions...that's why I say the issue for me is the *possibility* Fisher thinks they're done at WR (which I think would be a mistake). I say it's a possibility, because truth is, I don;t really know anymore than anyone else does (outside of the Rams). Cool

But it is interesting to see all the differing opinions on this.

And I also hope I'm wrong. I hope they don't think they're done at receiver. We'll see.

jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zn wrote:

It's a one year deal. If it was tied to draft plans, they would have given him a longer deal. They're pushing some of the young guys and taking a chance on a guy that has flashed something in the past.

The moves makes plenty of sense regardless of how it affects the draft plans. Frankly, people expecting a rookie WR to come in and dominate are not being realistic.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
zn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
zn wrote:

It's a one year deal. If it was tied to draft plans, they would have given him a longer deal. They're pushing some of the young guys and taking a chance on a guy that has flashed something in the past.

The moves makes plenty of sense regardless of how it affects the draft plans. Frankly, people expecting a rookie WR to come in and dominate are not being realistic.

This is all of course hypothetical and us two just discussing it in a vacuum. Given that, no, I don't think the nature of the contract tells us much. First, WR FA contracts are notoriously overpriced so the only way the Rams can afford a FA WR this year is by doing a 1 year with a damaged goods kind of guy. But I also I think they're perfectly happy to spot-fill holes from year to year in that way, and then extend them if they come through. That's the way it worked with Hayes. If they wanted to get virtually any other vet WR their only 2 choices would be to trade for a guy or to pay up far bigger than they did with Britt....and they simply cannot afford that.

Getting Hayes in the way they did--that did not mean they were uninterested in him longterm or that they didn't really see themselves as investing in the guy. It's very similar in a lot of respects--though with Hayes, he had been injured and needed to prove himself, whereas Britt is just a headcase (with injuries in his background).

I get your opinion that this is positive, but my own very different opinion is that the move is a step backwards at WR. I had similar reservations about Cook last year. I am not worried about the money--a cap hit of 0.5 M of guaranteed money if they have to dump him is not that big a deal. What I don't like is that it's Britt. It's not just that Britt has underperformed, or that he got benched, or that he has a lot of injuries behind him, or that he has 9 public run-ins with the law (though that's a lot). He also has a rep for being a quitter, and the stuff where I quote him complaining about the team is really not all that encouraging. If my kids talked like that I would worry about them.

So to me there's just nothing to like about any of it. He could prove me wrong, but how many people have you known who completely change their spots? The most likely thing is that he is who he was. We'll see if I am wrong about that and he comes through, but, the odds are quite frankly not on his side--which is a fair thing to say at this stage.

And if it does turn out that they believe they're fine with Britt and don't need to add a top receiver in the draft, I think it will be a mistake.

If on the other hand I'm wrong about that possibility and they do draft someone (high in the draft) I will still wonder why they think they needed Britt in the first place.

Fwiw I feel completely the opposite about Carrington.

zn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/recent-rams-pickup-arrested-for-probation-violation/article_cba8b0c0-d8f4-5af6-b061-0dd806ab4e29.html

Although the contract has yet to be filed to the NFL Players Association website, league sources told the Post-Dispatch that only $150,000 of wide receiver Kenny Britt’s contract is guaranteed if he’s released before the first game of the regular season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: