Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

JD's-2014 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread - Magic Number Is....!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wardfan05

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
The Pirates won't be serving grilled cheese anymore.

The Bucs trade Jason Grilli to the Angels for reliever Ernesto Frieri. I like this deal. Grilli just doesn't have it anymore and the pitcher we saw last year is gone. While Frieri is having a poor season he is younger and will be under Pirates control for a few more seasons.

If anyone can fix and improve Frieri, it's Ray Searage. I don't know what sort of voodoo magic he has, but Searage has been a huge part of the reason the Pirates are anywhere near competitive.

- Thanks, Joe_is_the_best
jebrick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that they get the pitchers to throw to a certain area that works for them. Having a good defense behind them helps a bunch as well.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
wwhickok

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polanco did not do well today. But that 1st pitch 2 run shot by Cutch was awesome. The view from out seats was amazing and Cutch is so much faster in person than he seems on tv.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
wwhickok

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volquez started out rough today, way too many balls throw. But finished strong, Melancon had me a little worried that he was gonna blow the save with that Solo Shot by Byrd

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
SteelProven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
Volquez started out rough today, way too many balls throw. But finished strong, Melancon had me a little worried that he was gonna blow the save with that Solo Shot by Byrd

The Pirates got me heated! Went to the July 3rd game against the Diamondbacks Worley looked good till the 5th and Ernesto is one of the worse closers ever. Then the next day Clutch goes 4-5 Mad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This current roster is killing me..

Where do I start, first of all, we sweep the Phillies who go on to do us a favor and sweep the Brewers, but none of that matters because we get swept by the Cardinals too fall to 4th in the division.

So what should we take from this? For starters, I think that Clint Hurdle is going to be on the hot seat nearer to the conclusion of this season. I mean c'mon, this is an epic failure. We're a playoff team last year, only to completely plummet this year?

Secondly, Everyone not named Garrett Cole in our Pitching staff is replaceble. I like Jeff Locke and I wouldn't necessarily ship him off, but that just goes to show how bad of a decision it was to deal Vic Black.

Our Pitching is terrible, I mean absolutely attrocious and it's not like that's something new, it's the way it's been for quite some time, heck, for the last 20 years. Gregory Polanco came on strong but that doesn't seem to have lasted long, Alvarez is in a slump, Cutch, well he's Cutch, easily our best player. That right there though, sums up our offense, we've got a bunch of other 'role players'. Neil Walker is either hot or he's not, there doesn't seem to be much in between. Harrison, Tabata, and guys like that, are most valuable when they actually get on base and it seems they've got to rely on the fortune of a rare hot bat to do so, their speed allows them to steal a bit, but there's not really a high level of consistency from them offensively.

Defensively, I think we're pretty solid although Alvarez' recent stints with throwing errors have been a thorn. The sad part about this team is, it's not really just one thing that needs fixed, but if they truly did something about the pitching, the rest might take care of itself.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Wardfan05

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
This current roster is killing me..

Where do I start, first of all, we sweep the Phillies who go on to do us a favor and sweep the Brewers, but none of that matters because we get swept by the Cardinals too fall to 4th in the division.

So what should we take from this? For starters, I think that Clint Hurdle is going to be on the hot seat nearer to the conclusion of this season. I mean c'mon, this is an epic failure. We're a playoff team last year, only to completely plummet this year?

Secondly, Everyone not named Garrett Cole in our Pitching staff is replaceble. I like Jeff Locke and I wouldn't necessarily ship him off, but that just goes to show how bad of a decision it was to deal Vic Black.

Our Pitching is terrible, I mean absolutely attrocious and it's not like that's something new, it's the way it's been for quite some time, heck, for the last 20 years. Gregory Polanco came on strong but that doesn't seem to have lasted long, Alvarez is in a slump, Cutch, well he's Cutch, easily our best player. That right there though, sums up our offense, we've got a bunch of other 'role players'. Neil Walker is either hot or he's not, there doesn't seem to be much in between. Harrison, Tabata, and guys like that, are most valuable when they actually get on base and it seems they've got to rely on the fortune of a rare hot bat to do so, their speed allows them to steal a bit, but there's not really a high level of consistency from them offensively.

Defensively, I think we're pretty solid although Alvarez' recent stints with throwing errors have been a thorn. The sad part about this team is, it's not really just one thing that needs fixed, but if they truly did something about the pitching, the rest might take care of itself.

I dunno man, this roster certainly has some holes, especially with how the bullpen regressed from spectacular to average this year. That being said, your post seems to be very much a sky is falling sort of post. This team was dreadful in April, and part of May, but the rest of May and June, they were one of the best in baseball. Sure it was disappointing to watch them blow a golden opportunity against the Cards, but it's not like they're out of it. With the injuries sustained by the Reds and the Cardinals, and the seeming implosion of the Brewers, the Buccos can set themselves up well going into the break.

I'm certainly interested to see what they do as far as trades go. They have some really good pieces to offer for upper tier guys, whether they move Josh Bell out of a crowded outfield or one of their many pitchers with potential, now is the time to make a smart, if somewhat expensive move.

- Thanks, Joe_is_the_best
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutch is phenomenal. A tying homer in the ninth and then a game winning one in the 11th.

^^The only QB in history with 6 TD passes in B2B games plus two 500 yard games. Props to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig!
SteelerPR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester...?

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Pirates emerged Tuesday as a potential trading partner for Lester, with a source confirming that the Sox have had talks with the Pirates regarding the left-hander.

"Don't count out the Pirates,'' said one source with knowledge of those talks.

The same source added: "Lots of teams are still in it."

There are six teams still in the running, the source said, listing them in no particular order: the Pirates, Blue Jays, Oakland Athletics, St. Louis Cardinals, Baltimore Orioles and Los Angeles Dodgers. The Red Sox are seeking two top prospects in return and are particularly interested in outfielders.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/11284286/jon-lester-boston-red-sox-scratched-scheduled-start-no-trade-yet
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelerPR wrote:
Lester...?

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Pirates emerged Tuesday as a potential trading partner for Lester, with a source confirming that the Sox have had talks with the Pirates regarding the left-hander.

"Don't count out the Pirates,'' said one source with knowledge of those talks.

The same source added: "Lots of teams are still in it."

There are six teams still in the running, the source said, listing them in no particular order: the Pirates, Blue Jays, Oakland Athletics, St. Louis Cardinals, Baltimore Orioles and Los Angeles Dodgers. The Red Sox are seeking two top prospects in return and are particularly interested in outfielders.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/11284286/jon-lester-boston-red-sox-scratched-scheduled-start-no-trade-yet

He's a real good pitcher but I'm weary about a two month rental that would cost them a lot. He already mentioned that he is going to resign with the Sox even if he gets traded. The Pirates do have plenty of OF prospects though. I wouldn't want them to include Josh Bell in a deal for him however. Maybe guys like Andrew Lambo or Harold Ramirez.

I would like to see them go after David Price but he has a real high salary and the Pirates ownership wouldn't touch that.

^^The only QB in history with 6 TD passes in B2B games plus two 500 yard games. Props to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig!
BenderRodriguez

Location: #SteelerNation-We have six Lombardie's and you don't. Haters Hate
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bandwagon jumper, now is about when I jump on. Are they going to go for broke.

BIG BEN 122/177 68.9 comp % 1365 yds 7tds 2int 100.1 QB Rating Yeah that's not MVP @ all
Quote:
LE'VEON BELL TRACKER
688 Total Yards
460 yds Rushing 1 td
228 yards receiving (9.5 yard avg)
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenderRodriguez wrote:
I am a bandwagon jumper, now is about when I jump on. Are they going to go for broke.

And now is when we kick your butt off!!! Wink Don't be that guy! Always cheer for them or don't cheer at all.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
BenderRodriguez

Location: #SteelerNation-We have six Lombardie's and you don't. Haters Hate
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JK I just don't like baseball, but its nice too see them being relevant. Hopefully no one will jump off a bridge if they win a playoff game in Pittsburgh.

BIG BEN 122/177 68.9 comp % 1365 yds 7tds 2int 100.1 QB Rating Yeah that's not MVP @ all
Quote:
LE'VEON BELL TRACKER
688 Total Yards
460 yds Rushing 1 td
228 yards receiving (9.5 yard avg)
stillersenat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2147022-pirates-run-into-double-play-on-the-bases-after-drawing-a-walk?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=cnn-sports-bin&hpt=hp_bn15

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
Evil or Very Mad

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2147022-pirates-run-into-double-play-on-the-bases-after-drawing-a-walk?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=cnn-sports-bin&hpt=hp_bn15

Yeah that was awful! I'll let it slide though. They had won 8 of 11 until yesterday and have won series against the Dodgers and Giants.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: