Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FFMD '15 - Owners Meeting
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what's already been posted is here is great evidence of why I'm 100% against a continuous mock for FFMD. The idea alone has already deterred some of the best posters in this forum, which is the last thing FFMD needs.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
I think what's already been posted is here is great evidence of why I'm 100% against a continuous mock for FFMD. The idea alone has already deterred some of the best posters in this forum, which is the last thing FFMD needs.

Tell those people there is a forum here for mock offseasons in which they can run a continuous mock, but not nearly enough people are interested enough to do it for FFMD.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Tell those people there is a forum here for mock offseasons in which they can run a continuous mock, but not nearly enough people are interested enough to do it for FFMD.
I actually did before they even opened the discussion page for it in the GM Mock Draft forum (which is now at like 15 pages). I told them that interest would die if it were made a continuous mock because it over complicates things and it also would deter so many people because you have to work with what the past GM's and staff did. Like, if we had to have Justin Gilbert carry over onto next year's FFMD roster, I probably wouldn't participate because I'm not a fan of him at all in the 1st round.

I'll go find what I posted about it in that thread, because I think the method I posted would be far better than the continuous mock.

R.I.P. Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

A MOD came in and essentially shutdown this revamp thing. Not sure why as the point was for them to debate ideas. Just goes to show you it is a mess.

Quote:
OK guys. This thread is going in way too many different directions. I've spoken with ny92jefferis, and come to the conclusion that we are going to postpone all future official plans for FFMD until closer to the actual start date. This thread was initiated to get your feedback, not for several different competing plans for FFMD to emerge. If you guys would like to continue to use this thread to bring up and discuss what you liked/didn't like/think should be done in FFMDs to come, feel free to do so, and it will be reviewed when the time comes. I don't know where the impetus came for all of the competing "official" plans I'm seeing in this thread, but consider it shelved as of now. If it continues, this thread will have to be locked, and no one wants that. Stick to the discussion. Thanks guys.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be great to get thoughts on the post I pasted below. It would be great if different people could share their opinions on this.

khodder wrote:
Just going to throw out a few thoughts here; Take them or leave them, but as someone who has been involved in either a participation role, as a GM or running this event since its inception I feel that I have some background here;

Continuous vs Each Off Season is Fresh.

The idea of making FFMD as continuous process is one that is very new, and one that while it has merits, is not something that I feel we should look at.

1 - It creates its own set of new complications on a year to year basis.
2 - If we are going to re-allocate GM's every season how does this fit with the "building my team" thought process that usually keeps dynasty type leagues alive.
3 - I think a major part of FFMD that generates excitement is being able to work with the team they just watched play an NFL season using the exact resources that team has; creating a continuous process eliminates that.

Free Agency

This is a brilliant development in FFMD's as the process has moved on. It has however also been the bane of the people running FFMD's existence. I have had a shot at running this process once and it ended up in record deals being handed out willy nilly, I was in charge of the talent agency when Tracy Porter signed his record deal.

My thought process was - If a team was the be idiots and commit that much money to a poor player that is their prerogative. Let them screw themselves into a wall. This process proved to be flawed due to the fact that teams simply did not care about anything past the here and now.

I now think going back to the future is the way to go we need to sacrifice realism for simplicity. KISS, keep it simple stupid. NFL contracts are some of the most complex and confusing legal documents around, and we are sitting here, with our day jobs trying to run something on the side that is going to involve such a high level of complexity, this inevitably leads to mistakes, mistakes lead to unrest, unrest leads to more unrest and ultimately loss of interest.

Here is one of if not the original talent agency. One thing to pay special attention to is the simplicity of the contract structures. Teams were given two options. All FA's were signed to three year deals that were either evenly distributed or heavily front loaded. We were not worried about option bonuses and signing bonuses and roster bonuses and incentives. I think moving back towards this kind of a process is going to A] Make the entire FA process more fun, less convoluted and easier to understand both for those running FFMD and those GM's looking to sign FA's. B] We avoid salary cap issues based around backloaded contracts and C] It takes less micro-management.

If nothing else around free agency hits home for the next edition of FFMD let it be this; MAKE THE PROCESS, SIMPLE, EASY, UNDERSTANDABLE AND FUN. If you do that people will be far more inclined to want to participate.

The Heads of State

The biggest FFMD issues of late have derived from a lack of organization at the top. I have been guilty of this in the past; those who commit to running FFMD need to stick out the entire process. They need to get their ducks in a row early and make sure that there are no loopholes in rules. Proof read rules two or three times before posting them, get second or third opinions from within the FFMD team on the rules. MAKE SURE WHAT IS PUT OUT THERE STICKS. DON'T COMMIT TO SOMETHING THAT YOU CANNOT MAKE WORK.

I also think you need to have complete separation of duties; Tatupu this year was trying to run FFMD and also be a member of the Seahawks team. Ultimately the reason he left his post was because of this dual role.

The reason for FFMD

There has always been discussion around this; why was FFMD instituted, why did it come of being; was it a tool to drive forum activity, was it a tool to get a realistic GM Mock Draft, was it a tool for people to have fun.

The reality is that it was just a guy, or maybe a couple of guys had an idea, or saw something similar on another forum and wanted to transfer it to this site. Since then it has grown like Barry Bond's head, but the bottom line, FFMD is meant to be fun, if it is not fun people will not play.

Well that is my inital thought dump. I might come back for more, I might not.

I think khodder made a great post here and I think it's something that shouldn't be overlooked. His post embodies a lot of how I feel about FFMD should be ran.

R.I.P. Stylish
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything said in that post. I have always thought if people wanted more in depth mocks, run them on their own like others do. It's definitely too complicated now.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: