Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How Would You Feel About Logan Ryan at Safety?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigTimePatsFan9

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: How Would You Feel About Logan Ryan at Safety? Reply with quote

I've seen a couple of articles tossing this around and the more that I think about it, the more it makes sense. You always want your best players on the field and while Ryan is a great corner, he would see the field much more as a safety on the field every play as opposed to a nickel corner.

He has range, ball skills, reads plays very well, and is a pretty solid tackler from what I have observed. Now, it should be noted that neither Ryan or McCourty would be playing a SS role, where they have their nose in the box a little more. Our scheme with Browner and Revis pressing would allow the LB's to patrol the middle and both of our safeties to play over the top.

What do you guys think? I'm all for it honestly. And if someone gets hurt in the secondary, Ryan could then fill in anywhere and we have Harmon as insurance. Not half bad.

Heres a link to one of the articles: http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2014/03/patriots_may_take_look_with_logan_ryan_at_safety
bluemushrooms

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's something I'd be willing to give a shot...I think he could have success at safety.
Sciz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It made at least a little sense to me up until it said that Ryan would be at FS with McCourty at SS. The whole point of adding a guy like Revis is that it helps you get away with having only one deep safety, and I don't see why you'd take McCourty out of that role.
patsfan25

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan needs to stay at CB where he is destined to be a top 10 NFL CB. While I do think he has the tools to be a Safety, he is missing the physicality and size to excel.

Aite,

peace.
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't see the need to be honest. McCourty, Harmon and the Wilson twins is not a terrible group of safeties.

Depth at corner is must in the modern NFL. Revis/Browner/Dennard/Arrington/Ryan is the best corner group they've had in years (on paper). I'm in no hurry to break it up. I'd much rather give Ryan a training camp learning from Revis/Browner and have him ready to start in 2015 in the event Revis leaves.

Quote:
Well, I'm the President of the Howdy Doody Circus Army!
Richter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad. Would move McCourty to more of an in-the-box role, which plays away from his strengths.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
Bad. Would move McCourty to more of an in-the-box role, which plays away from his strengths.

This. I think it's pretty clear that Belichick is going to give Harmon the chance to win the other starting safety job, they just don't need a stud strong safety there with Revis on one half of the field and McCourty covering deep. It would be great to have a Kam Chancellor type guy, but players like that don't grow on trees and they wouldn't make as big of a difference for our defense as an impact player on the defensive line would.

Deadpulse on the sig
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:

But wouldn't it be Logan Ryan who plays in the box and McCourty deep in this scenario? Ryan looks like a solid run support guy despite being smallish (could provide at least what Gregory did in that dept.), and his game seems like it could translate well in theory vs. tight ends (he's physical, quicker than fast).

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Richter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Richter wrote:

But wouldn't it be Logan Ryan who plays in the box and McCourty deep in this scenario? Ryan looks like a solid run support guy despite being smallish (could provide at least what Gregory did in that dept.), and his game seems like it could translate well in theory vs. tight ends (he's physical, quicker than fast).

No, it wouldn't be. Ryan's skills are pretty much exclusively suited for a free safety role. McCourty is the better hitter and tackler of the two.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I'm just happy Gregory's gone.

Thanks to Tzimisce

bannanasrUSC wrote:
I guess I am a massive troll homer. Smile
rabbisson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither safety would be in the box. The Patriots want to play with two cover safeties now. Guregian reported it last week.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
Richter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbisson wrote:
Neither safety would be in the box. The Patriots want to play with two cover safeties now. Guregian reported it last week.

You mean conjectured, not reported, as there is no way she has any information on the matter at this point. And even if it was true, that must mean they have a hell of a plan to bolster the front seven if they're going to play without a safety in the box regularly, because right now, their run defense is a disaster waiting to happen without some serious reinforcements up front and no safety that can be a force in run support.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
rabbisson wrote:

You mean conjectured, not reported, as there is no way she has any information on the matter at this point. And even if it was true, that must mean they have a hell of a plan to bolster the front seven if they're going to play without a safety in the box regularly, because right now, their run defense is a disaster waiting to happen without some serious reinforcements up front and no safety that can be a force in run support.

Why do you say that? Because we have no depth at LB or DL?

Our run D suffered last season because we didn't have Wilfork, Kelly or Mayo. I think we'd be pretty solid against the run actually
ctpatsfan77

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruschidawg wrote:
Honestly, I'm just happy Gregory's gone.

I half-expect to see Gregory return later this offseason on a cheap(ish) contract.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTimePatsFan9 wrote:
Richter wrote:
rabbisson wrote:

Why do you say that? Because we have no depth at LB or DL?

Our run D suffered last season because we didn't have Wilfork, Kelly or Mayo. I think we'd be pretty solid against the run actually

Of course it's because there's no depth. They're not going injury free, and they need guys to rotate in up front. Can't play all the snaps with the same seven guys. Plus, we don't know how Wilfork or Kelly will respond, and the DT position is a disaster.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: