Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruschidawg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: My Mock Reply with quote

Just like every year, I do what I think Belichick will do. Not exactly what I want. Nor gonna lie though, the BC guys MAY be a stretch. Tear it up.

1.) Deone Buchannon - SS Washington State - need that hitter in there are I've heard some talk about this kid being the guy. It would be one of Bill's "What The!?!?!" picks.

2.) Troy Niklas - TE Notre Dame - we NEED a TE behind Gronk and Hooman is not the answer.

3.) Ego Ferguson - DT LSU - good rotational Player. I think that the fresher we can keep everyone, the better out D Line will be.

4.) Anthony Steen - G Bama - we could REALLY use an upgrade for Connoly so Bill turns to his buddy, Saban.

4.) Andre Williams - RB BC - replacing Blount is needed and Williams is a load that runs violently. I think he'd be a good fit.

6.) Kevin Pierre-Louis - LB BC - I love our starting trio but there's NOTHING after that. I think KPL is a perfect fit as a Dane Fletcher replacement for special teams and coverage LB. It's no secret that I think this kid is going to be an absolute steal like Dennard was for us.

6.) Aaron Lynch - DE USF - good value for a pass rusher.

7.)Michael Campanero - WR Wake Forest - the guy just gets open and can take a hit. Screams Patriot to me.

Thanks to Tzimisce

bannanasrUSC wrote:
I guess I am a massive troll homer. Smile
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't see the attraction people have to Andre Williams or Kevin Pierre-Louis. I have to think it's based on their attending a local school. Because, as players, the former seems like a poor fit and the latter seems like a special teams only guy.

Andre Williams and is useless in the pass game. He has 10 career receptions and 0 last year. He might have some upside as a runner but guys with such 1 dimensional skill sets are found pretty easily in the very late rounds and UDFA (see BenJarvus Green-Ellis). They would have been better off just keeping Blount if they want that style of player.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that he's not a receiver. I was thinking strictly a clock killing back. As far as KPL, why just a special teamer? The guy can cover and he can blitz, has put up numbers in a major conference, and was dominant at the Combine. What else does he need to do?

Thanks to Tzimisce

bannanasrUSC wrote:
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruschidawg wrote:
I agree that he's not a receiver. I was thinking strictly a clock killing back.

I don't see how a guy who can't be useful in the pass game is a good draft pick. His value is so one dimensional at this point that it's very difficult to think they can't find a better value. I know some people like Williams as a 3rd or 4th rounder, but IMO he's not worth drafting at all. He's way too limited. And you can find 1 dimensional guys in UDFA or in low-cost trades (e.g. Green-Ellis).

Quote:
As far as KPL, why just a special teamer? The guy can cover and he can blitz, has put up numbers in a major conference, and was dominant at the Combine. What else does he need to do?

His ability to cover and blitz in college isn't really relevant. You have to look at how he projects to do those things in the pros. The guy is 6'1 232 and runs a 4.5 40. He's not a LB and he's not a S.

Look at his body, he's a "small" 6'1 232. He's narrow and lacks the frame to bulk up. So as a LB? He's never going to be able to hold up in the pros. He had issues at the POA in college and gets washed out in traffic because of his lack of power and size. I see absolutely no future for him as a LB except as a Tracy White type fast coverage LB who drops back on every play. As a blitzer in the pros? No way. He lacks the power to get through blockers. In college he struggled a lot getting washed out of plays any time he had to go across the field or get through blockers. He looks like a defensive back in that regard.

As for the idea of converting him to safety - it's probably in his best interest but the Pats don't really use a traditional SS role and I don't think Pierre-Louis is going to project to a coverage type player in the defensive backfield. It's one thing to succeed covering college TE's and RB's. It's another thing to have to face NFL WR's and the new breed of athletic TE's. He also lacks the bulk (as a LB) to cover the better TE's in the league. He'd have the same problems a lot of safeties do.

His upside IMO is Don Davis. High end special teamer, great character guy and marginal situational defensive value. As a 6th or 7th rounder, I wouldn't object. But it's really a special teams throwaway type pick. Selecting him as an answer to the LB depth issues is a big mistake, as is selecting him with the idea that he will contribute on defense.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do you feel the same way about Shazier (6-1 237) and Mosley (6-2 234)?

Shazier - 144 tackles, 7 sacks, o ints, 14 games

Mosley - 108 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 ints, 13 games

KPL - 108 tackles, 6 sacks, 1 int for TD, 13 games

Thanks to Tzimisce

bannanasrUSC wrote:
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruschidawg wrote:
So do you feel the same way about Shazier (6-1 237) and Mosley (6-2 234)?

Shazier - 144 tackles, 7 sacks, o ints, 14 games

Mosley - 108 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 ints, 13 games

KPL - 108 tackles, 6 sacks, 1 int for TD, 13 games

Mosley is a different style of player and has the frame to bulk up a bit more. He's not going to get drafted to be a coverage player so him adding weight shouldn't affect his value.

I have similar reservations about Shazier than I do about Pierre-Louis except Shazier is a more talented player and does a better job getting through traffic than Pierre Louis. I think Shazier will be overdrafted and I don't really like him as a Patriots fit, but there are some schemes in which he'd succeed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the "getting through traffic" thing but we're talking about taking him MUCH later than either of these other two players. Who would rather see as a LB drafted by us? What's your opinion of the other picks that I have there?

Thanks to Tzimisce

bannanasrUSC wrote:
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't be a big fan of this. Bucannon in the first would be a reach, Niklas is OK, but Steen is terrible and Williams is a very poor mans LeGarrette Blount.

Deadpulse on the sig
bluemushrooms

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre Williams isn't comparable to Legarette Blount...different styles Evil or Very Mad After watching some more Williams film I've noticed that he ran behind a beastly O-line (or the teams they played were terrible) but had very good awareness of what was going on.
He hits holes extremely fast and when he makes a decision on where to run he does it at full speed. My concern is his mediocre blocking, lack of catching ability, and ball security because he has a violent running style like Ridley and tends to swing the ball loosely around while carrying it.

Would also like to mention that he has a pretty nasty stiff arm.
I think he'd be worth taking in round 6 and maybe 5; he's a pure downhill runner that would be able to take advantage of a solid O-line and if a team wanted to just have him smash into piles he'd probably perform at a decent level.
Touchdowns: Sad
bluemushrooms

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
bruschidawg wrote:
I agree that he's not a receiver. I was thinking strictly a clock killing back.

I don't see how a guy who can't be useful in the pass game is a good draft pick. His value is so one dimensional at this point that it's very difficult to think they can't find a better value. I know some people like Williams as a 3rd or 4th rounder, but IMO he's not worth drafting at all. He's way too limited. And you can find 1 dimensional guys in UDFA or in low-cost trades (e.g. Green-Ellis).

He's worth drafting because he has playmaking ability. Green Ellis can't run fast enough to pull off big runs...Williams can. Green Ellis was a 1 dimensional back who had good vision, mediocre or subpar speed/acceleration, and good ball security. I'd say Williams has good vision, slightly above average speed, good acceleration, and poor ball security. They're both 1 dimensional but have different skillsets....

Also, I'm not one to have a problem with one-dimensional players so that could be it also Laughing
Touchdowns: Sad
terbo559

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Deone Bucannon a lot and I hope we draft him. He's one of those guys where his stock is rising fast so you won't know where he'll actually go. I hope we can grab him with a second round pick though.
patsfan25

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the prospects of Deonne Bucannon. He was the best player on a horrible defense. Too slow, too stiff. Whiffs horrible and throws his body around erratically while trying to lay big hits. He leaves a lot to be desired in coverage. Good size and strong at the POA, he can make his presence felt if he gets his hands on you, but most of the time he wouldn't be able to catch you. He will be an okay pick with our 3rd as the highest reach. The value at #29 overall is very bad IMO.
Forced Fumbles:1
PDs2:
INTs:1
Pick 6s:
ICB 45

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't mind your mock. It is a little out there, which is why most people are criticizing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

I'm also a big fan of SS in the first round. Personally, Jimmie Ward would be a better prospect in my book, but I'm fine with Bucannon. Belichick is clearly putting an emphasis on the secondary this year the same way he completely retooled the WR position in 2007 after he saw how big of a disaster Gaffney/Caldwell/Gabriel could be. It kind of baffles me that people are confident in Harmon after that pick was ripped to absolute shreds on this forum last year and he definitely did not show enough to warrant a top pick. We need an enforcer at the safety position and this would do it for. People can say this isn't "value" at 29, but Logan Mankins wasn't a first round "value" either in his draft. Wouldn't surprise me.

I'm fine with Niklas/Ferguson/Steen. Fit needs and good players, I like them.

I see Andre Williams as a pretty similar player to Blount and getting the best college RB in this draft in the 4th round is pretty good value, although I would prefer if one of the higher ranked RB fell to this round. He is pretty reliant on blocking up front, but I think he would be a good fit for our system.

I agree with your need assessment of LB and haven't seen enough of KPL to give an honest opinion of him, but this works for me. Not really sure people can complain about a sixth rounder.

Campanero is a pretty interesting pick, I have seen a lot of him, the kid is a gamer. Good punt returner and he was a great player and put up tons of production despite being on a bad team. Definitely worth a flyer in the 7th round.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the mock is kinda out there. It's not really who I'd want to see the Pats take but I'm just trying to guess what Bill is going to do. As far as the KPL thing, I think it's laughable that people almost get offended that I have us taking a kid in the 6th round. Yes, he has faults and weaknesses but he's a 6th rounder for god's sake! With later picks, I always want production at the college level.

Thanks to Tzimisce

bannanasrUSC wrote:
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Ego and Niklas but would like to see better and multiple upgrades to the interior offensive line. Even as a Bama fan Steen is the same caliber of the guys we have. We need to upgrade that line in these last few years of a Brady and beyond.

AAP-Chandler Jones-12 tkls, 2 sax, 1 FF & 1 TD
Wk 2 AFC POTW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: