Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jake Long Question from a Steeler Fan
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Jake Long Question from a Steeler Fan Reply with quote

Good Afternoon FFF Rams fans:

What is the status or deal with Jake Long? I know that there was some back and forth with Roger Saffold and many so called experts are mocking the Rams selecting Auburn's LT Greg Robinson. I thought with Long, the Rams would be set at LT.

What happened? I went to the Rams website and under the depth chart, Jake Long isn't even listed. http://www.stlouisrams.com/team/depth-chart.html

Jake is listed as being on the roster, but wow! While he may not be the second coming of Orlando Pace, I think he is probably considered a top 10 LT.

I know the Steelers made a desperate attempt to try to convince Jake to come to Pittsburgh last year despite being salary cap strapped. Is he available? Is he in the Rams plans? I am miffed at what happened with Long. Thanks for the response.

Curious Steelers fan.

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!

Last edited by Steeler Hitman on Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He tore his ACL. He will be back.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He played at a pro-bowl level and then tore his knee apart. We're hoping he will be ready to start at LT for us in week 1.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, he is just rehabbing. Hopefully he will be ready for week 1, but I am not going to hold my breathe on that. He was definitely the Rams best signing last year.

That depth chart you are referring to his from last season for the one game when he was put on IR. It hasn't been updated, Williams and Smith play LG for the Rams according to it.
FRO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
He played at a pro-bowl level and then tore his knee apart. We're hoping he will be ready to start at LT for us in week 1.

This
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I was not aware that he tore his knee up. Is all the mocks for Greg Robinson because of Long's injury or are the Rams simply looking to get a younger LT? If Jake is going to be back, why would there be so much emphasis on drafting another LT?

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I was not aware that he tore his knee up. Is all the mocks for Greg Robinson because of Long's injury or are the Rams simply looking to get a younger LT? If Jake is going to be back, why would there be so much emphasis on drafting another LT?

A lot of the Greg Robinson to the Rams connection is because we still have a hole at LG. Robinson has shown to be a dominant road-grader and could come in and play LG/RG from day one...

Eventually, he could be groomed to take over for Jake Long as the LT of the future...

IDOG_det on the sig...
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:

Well, its interesting. Most people put him there for one or two reasons, either because of Longs injury and for the future OR for the RT spot which most dont realize how well our RT (Barksdale) played.

Robinson still makes sense however for either of those reasons, but mostly to fill the LG spot for now.
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:

Partly because we need a starting LG. Then there is the insurance for Long staying healthy. Also Barksdale was RT last year, his first year he was able to hold on to a job and he's a free agent next year. Longs contract is also set up so that if he continues to have injury problems it's easy for the Rams to get out of it and doesn't create a lot of dead money for us to eat.

Long answer short, Robinson and Matthews are great OT prospects who can play LG until they're needed at RT/LT. But can start at LG and be very good there in the mean time.
Golden_Knight5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder this as well. Long played pro bowl level last year, blocking for an inept, average quarterback. I don't know why everyone insists Robinson/Matthews in the top 10 when we could snag a solid OG in the 2nd round. Plus, there about 70-80 mill in the line just in Saffold/Long as it is.
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden_Knight5 wrote:
I wonder this as well. Long played pro bowl level last year, blocking for an inept, average quarterback. I don't know why everyone insists Robinson/Matthews in the top 10 when we could snag a solid OG in the 2nd round. Plus, there about 70-80 mill in the line just in Saffold/Long as it is.

But it makes sense to take Clowney so that when we renew Quinn we'll have more than that in the DLine. Our defensive starters are all coming back for 2014. Our offense starters are all coming back except a guard. We can take one of the best linemen in the draft and plug that last starting spot with a great player. Matthews and Robinson will both be better at guard than any guard prospect in the draft and will be able to kick out to play tackle. With the injury history in the players we have starting on the Oline I wonder why it isn't clear we need to draft for it.
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden_Knight5 wrote:

The factor you're overlooking is that Jake Long has failed to play 16 games the last three consecutive seasons and is coming off a major knee injury. While most of us think he'll be fine and return to form, it's not a sure thing...

When you "assume" is when you can really hurt you're team...

IDOG_det on the sig...
jjab360

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden_Knight5 wrote:

Well, that was completely irrelevant and unnecessary..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjab360 wrote:
Golden_Knight5 wrote:

Well, that was completely irrelevant and unnecessary..

This made me laugh pretty hard.

And reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec7rCsNFn30

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden_Knight5 wrote:

The reason why most fans aren't equipped to call the shots in the draft(beyond the obvious lack of film, medical, character, etc. information) is because most fans cannot think strategically into the future.

You are not drafting for one year. You are not just drafting for 2014. When drafting, you have a greater plan in mind than just what they'll do as a rookie. Because the truth is that most rookies don't contribute that much.

Where Matthews plays in 2014 is irrelevant. They're drafting for more than 2014.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: