Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wilfork stays with Patriots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Deadpulse


Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 9365
Location: Boston MA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So from what I have read it looks like his cap hit for this season is 3 mil, but through incentives which might fall under that roll over to next years cap he can make up to 8 mil.

I think the biggest bonus to this deal is if he completely falls of in terms of production and play, they can cut the cord and not pick up his option.
_________________

Sigs-Taking Requests
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patsfan25


Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 5546
Location: CenCal
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
So from what I have read it looks like his cap hit for this season is 3 mil, but through incentives which might fall under that roll over to next years cap he can make up to 8 mil.

I think the biggest bonus to this deal is if he completely falls of in terms of production and play, they can cut the cord and not pick up his option.


So if his cap hit was 11m before, did this free up 8m in cap space?
_________________

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:


Deadpulse Ink.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Naq


Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Posts: 8333
Location: Westeros
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
Good. He deserves the cash.


Whether or not he deserves it remains to be seen. You don't get paid for what you have done but what you will do.


Wilfork played for well below market value for a number of years.

I doubt he plays out the entire deal, though, barring a legit return to form.

That's irrelevant you pay for what they can do for you during the contract not what they did.


boo hoo, Wilfork is fam. #PAYTHEMAN!!!

But for real glad to see the big guy stay on the team. A 70% Wilfork is better than what we currently have.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Medula Amendola


Joined: 14 Mar 2013
Posts: 117
Location: MA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious to see the language of the re-do. If the 2 extra years are options, it doesn't seem like there was part of his salary converted to a signing bonus to spread the cap out, just base salary changed to incentives. I'm not 100% sure on the rules, but if the incentives are marked LTBE, I think the money for those gets automatically charged to the cap this year, and will come back next year as a credit if they're not reached. So I'm not sure how much salary cap room this will actually open up this year. But that's just speculation on my part without the details.
_________________
2013 Adopt-A-Pat Danny Amendola

Rec: 63
Yds: 624
TDs: 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadpulse


Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 9365
Location: Boston MA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
So from what I have read it looks like his cap hit for this season is 3 mil, but through incentives which might fall under that roll over to next years cap he can make up to 8 mil.

I think the biggest bonus to this deal is if he completely falls of in terms of production and play, they can cut the cord and not pick up his option.


So if his cap hit was 11m before, did this free up 8m in cap space?


Possibly, it depends on how they classify the incentive bonuses.
_________________

Sigs-Taking Requests
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NinjaZX6R


Joined: 05 Jun 2011
Posts: 9225
Location: Columbus, Ohio
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote


_________________
"Let's show some toughness. Yeah...Toughness and go makes some plays"
-Tom Brady
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PatriotsWin!


Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 18573
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Wilfork is staying. Hope he regains his All-Pro form and the Pats keep up his option, I want him to retire a Patriot.
_________________

Mack on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grachuus


Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 25288
Location: Thanks for the Sig Deadpulse!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medula Amendola wrote:
I'm curious to see the language of the re-do. If the 2 extra years are options, it doesn't seem like there was part of his salary converted to a signing bonus to spread the cap out, just base salary changed to incentives. I'm not 100% sure on the rules, but if the incentives are marked LTBE, I think the money for those gets automatically charged to the cap this year, and will come back next year as a credit if they're not reached. So I'm not sure how much salary cap room this will actually open up this year. But that's just speculation on my part without the details.


The way the cap is now LTBE being charged this year isn't much of a big deal if they get it back next.
_________________

Mark Twain wrote:
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

QBvsDefensiveQuality
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naq


Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Posts: 8333
Location: Westeros
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grachuus wrote:
Medula Amendola wrote:
I'm curious to see the language of the re-do. If the 2 extra years are options, it doesn't seem like there was part of his salary converted to a signing bonus to spread the cap out, just base salary changed to incentives. I'm not 100% sure on the rules, but if the incentives are marked LTBE, I think the money for those gets automatically charged to the cap this year, and will come back next year as a credit if they're not reached. So I'm not sure how much salary cap room this will actually open up this year. But that's just speculation on my part without the details.


The way the cap is now LTBE being charged this year isn't much of a big deal if they get it back next.


Wait... am I seeing stuff... is that really Grachuus?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
terbo559


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 3166
Location: California
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how much cap room we have after of the extension?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigTimePatsFan9


Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 1233
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naq wrote:
Grachuus wrote:
Medula Amendola wrote:
I'm curious to see the language of the re-do. If the 2 extra years are options, it doesn't seem like there was part of his salary converted to a signing bonus to spread the cap out, just base salary changed to incentives. I'm not 100% sure on the rules, but if the incentives are marked LTBE, I think the money for those gets automatically charged to the cap this year, and will come back next year as a credit if they're not reached. So I'm not sure how much salary cap room this will actually open up this year. But that's just speculation on my part without the details.


The way the cap is now LTBE being charged this year isn't much of a big deal if they get it back next.


Wait... am I seeing stuff... is that really Grachuus?


Been quite a while
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NinjaZX6R


Joined: 05 Jun 2011
Posts: 9225
Location: Columbus, Ohio
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terbo559 wrote:
Does anyone know how much cap room we have after of the extension?


They had around 6m IIRC.
So...add 3m to that.
_________________
"Let's show some toughness. Yeah...Toughness and go makes some plays"
-Tom Brady
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Third Rider


Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 10290
Location: Running up the score on your favorite team
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt he finishes that contract but I am glad we have him back for a least one more season. Smile
_________________
If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you won't be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
derekstanggt


Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 1168
Location: Austin
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very glad Fork is "back", even though I really couldn't see him leaving. No way another team was going to pay him more than 5m/yr coming off an injury like that, he knew he was staying the whole time.

I don't know that he'll ever be an all-pro again, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a pro bowler a couple more times. His age is when linemen are at their strongest, right around 30-32. His game isn't dependent on quick twitch moves and cuts either, so I see him returning to a very good starting level DL. I'm happy for him, and happy for the defense. Can't wait to see the Wilfork-Kelly tandem. Still wouldn't be surprised to see a big DT drafted early though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naq


Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Posts: 8333
Location: Westeros
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekstanggt wrote:
His age is when linemen are at their strongest, right around 30-32.


Confused
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group