Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFCE Discussion Corner 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 97, 98, 99  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadway Joe

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
Poloc2289 wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

And every Giant fan on this forum trying to pawn him off or talking about trading him every chance they got was a sign of how great he was?

When was this?

FFMD's.
They were trying to get rid of him for peanuts

FFMD isn't as popular on the Giants forum as it is for other teams. It's run by a few posters who I presume are young. They took Justin Gilbert 12th overall a week after the Giants signed DRC and Walter Thurmond in real life. And I believe they tried to trade Prince for no other reason than there is not enough playing time for 4 corners, and they wanted additional picks. The fact that Maddhatter is basing his analysis of a player off of what a few people tried to do in FFMD, is very telling.

And to wrap up the whole debate, "good" is a pretty general term. My definition of what is a "good" player is probably a little more lax some of yours. It's hard for people to believe that Aaron Ross and Mathias Kiwanuka were once good players, because at this point they are long in the tooth. But in his prime, Kiwanuka had a 8 sack season, and two 6 sack seasons. In 2011 he had 84 tackles. He was part of the 4 DE passrush that was so feared for many years. I would say that's more than a "marginal impact".

And that's good... For a 2nd-3rd rounder.

Thanks to Braylon4MVP for the sig!
Gmen

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadway Joe wrote:

Well he was the 32nd overall pick, so he was close to being a second round pick. Regardless, he was a better player than 10 of the players drafted before him in that first round. And he was better than all but probably 8 players that went in the second round of that draft. So considering position, and the players that went around him, it was a good pick IMO. If we took him in the top 15, would I have higher expectations? Certainly.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Jroc04

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case, even with a loose understanding of "good", good player =/= good pick.

Mathias having been once considered "good", even by Gmen's lax definition, still doesn't make it a good pick. He never started and never had sustained success at a high level as a first rounder should.

I hate having discussions about players of opposing teams with forum members of said teams. It's like trying to convince a father his kid is ugly.

Your kid is ugly.

Phire sig - 808 avy
808 wrote:
Jroc offers a voice of reason, and that's why I care about him so much.
Gmen

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jroc04 wrote:
In this case, even with a loose understanding of "good", good player =/= good pick.

Mathias having been once considered "good", even by Gmen's lax definition, still doesn't make it a good pick. He never started and never had sustained success at a high level as a first rounder should.

I hate having discussions about players of opposing teams with forum members of said teams. It's like trying to convince a father his kid is ugly.

Your kid is ugly.

He never started? He started 71 games. Including all 16 at RE when Osi went down in 2008. You think the Giants would keep a player incapable of starting for 8 years?

And my kid has inner beauty!

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

Jroc04

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
Jroc04 wrote:

Your kid is ugly.

He never started? He started 71 games. Including all 16 at RE when Osi went down in 2008. You think the Giants would keep a player incapable of starting for 8 years?

And my kid has inner beauty!

I stand corrected.

I guess starting due to injury and spot starting is still starting. I looked at him as rotational more than a starter.

Phire sig - 808 avy
808 wrote:
Gmen

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Giants did him a disservice by asking him to lose weight and play LB. But when you have Strahan, Tuck and Osi, that was kind of the only way to get him onto the field at that time.

Anyway, Giants are picking a HOFer at 12. As soon as you hear the name, start carving his bust for Canton. Laughing

Jroc04

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
I think the Giants did him a disservice by asking him to lose weight and play LB. But when you have Strahan, Tuck and Osi, that was kind of the only way to get him onto the field at that time.

Anyway, Giants are picking a HOFer at 12. As soon as you hear the name, start carving his bust for Canton. Laughing

Which makes me question the pick even more. But that's a good point.

And your kid at 12 will still be ugly.

Phire sig - 808 avy
808 wrote:
Broadway Joe

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
Broadway Joe wrote:

Well he was the 32nd overall pick, so he was close to being a second round pick. Regardless, he was a better player than 10 of the players drafted before him in that first round. And he was better than all but probably 8 players that went in the second round of that draft. So considering position, and the players that went around him, it was a good pick IMO. If we took him in the top 15, would I have higher expectations? Certainly.

And Mike Patterson was the 31st and contributed more still we consider him a meh pick. I think your definition of good pick is: Not a complete bust.

Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what the Redskins were busy with since they had no first round pick:

http://tracking.si.com/2014/05/09/redskins-send-lavar-arrington-cease-desist-letter/
Tom Brady Tribute
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin was a great pick for Cowboys... ugh really wish they took JFF instead.

Thrilled with Giants pick though, can't believe they passed up on Donald. OBJ was the 3rd best WR in my eyes, but at 12 that was pretty damn early. Would have been a decent pick still if not for the fact they could have had Donald.

~Bird Watch 2014 | Nick Foles~
1,628 yards, 10 TDs, 7 INTs, 82.0 Passer Rating
Hammertime52

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:

http://tracking.si.com/2014/05/09/redskins-send-lavar-arrington-cease-desist-letter/

They must have been sooo bored
nlesthought

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:

Get em!

psn: nlesthought l Peppers90 on the sig

Bird Watch '13 - Placekicker #6 - Alex 'the podiatrist' Henery.
22/27 LNG 51yds; 42 XPs; 1 KOR TD given up.
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:

Thrilled with Giants pick though, can't believe they passed up on Donald. OBJ was the 3rd best WR in my eyes, but at 12 that was pretty damn early. Would have been a decent pick still if not for the fact they could have had Donald.

Agreed

I didn't see the WR corps as a huge need going into this. I figured they would take a receiver to replace Nicks eventually in the draft but not in the first. Randle and Cruz are solid starters and with Manningham and Jernigan they had decent depth. If it was Evans at 12 I could understand passing on Donald because we lack a big target. But adding another average height receiver just seems vexing.

"Sundown, you better take care... if I find you been creepin' round my back stairs"
Broadway Joe

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:

Agreed

I didn't see the WR corps as a huge need going into this. I figured they would take a receiver to replace Nicks eventually in the draft but not in the first. Randle and Cruz are solid starters and with Manningham and Jernigan they had decent depth. If it was Evans at 12 I could understand passing on Donald because we lack a big target. But adding another average height receiver just seems vexing.

I like OBJ and I wish he wasn't drafted by a rival. But he is just to similar to Cruz IMO, thought they'd go for a different style.

Then again, this might be a McAddoo style of player.

Iron Eagle

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:

That is pretty damn ridiculous on the Skins part.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 18 of 99

Jump to: