Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFCE Discussion Corner 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 97, 98, 99  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gmen

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Injuries happen. But aside from David Wilson, in the past ten years, you can't point to a single first round pick by the Giants and say that he was a bad player.

2004 Eli Manning - GOAT. No explanation needed.

2006 Mathias Kiwanuka - Not spectacular. But that fact that he's on the team 8 years later says something.

2007 Aaron Ross - Had multiple good years in two separate stints with the Giants. Big contribution as a rookie in the 2007 SB run.

2008 Kenny Phillips - Had one great year and on the verge of becoming a probowler before the knee issue.

2009 Hakeem Nicks - Had two very good seasons. Set the record for receiving yards in 2011 playoffs (at the time). Wouldn't have won the SB without him.

2010 Jason Pierre Paul - Had the most dominating single season by a DE I have ever seen. And the Giants have had some good ones. Injuries have hurt him lately.

2011 Prince Amukamara - Has played at a #1 CB caliber the last two years.

2012 David Wilson - A self proclaimed HOF.

2013 Justin Pugh - Had a very good rookie year.

So 8 out of 9 first round picks have been a good player. I like our odds. Picking at 12, that's our highest draft position in the Eli / Coughlin era. In a good draft, I expect we'll get a good player.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Jroc04

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love the homer view on that.

"Player X had two good years so that means it was good."

I'd like to see you grade these picks one at a time. Then I'll tell you if your blue and red undies are on too tight.

808 avy
808 wrote:
Jroc offers a voice of reason, and that's why I care about him so much.
Broadway Joe

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
Injuries happen. But aside from David Wilson, in the past ten years, you can't point to a single first round pick by the Giants and say that he was a bad player.

2006 Mathias Kiwanuka - Not spectacular. But that fact that he's on the team 8 years later says something.

2007 Aaron Ross - Had multiple good years in two separate stints with the Giants. Big contribution as a rookie in the 2007 SB run.

2008 Kenny Phillips - Had one great year and on the verge of becoming a probowler before the knee issue.

2009 Hakeem Nicks - Had two very good seasons. Set the record for receiving yards in 2011 playoffs (at the time). Wouldn't have won the SB without him.

2010 Jason Pierre Paul - Had the most dominating single season by a DE I have ever seen. And the Giants have had some good ones. Injuries have hurt him lately.

So 8 out of 9 first round picks have been a good player. I like our odds. Picking at 12, that's our highest draft position in the Eli / Coughlin era. In a good draft, I expect we'll get a good player.

I don't think it's 8 out of 9. You are obviously being a homer if you count limited contributions like Kiwanuka, Phillips, Ross as good players since it was only for a very limited time.

The Giants are damn good drafters but you are reaching by calling 8 out of 9 as good players. I understand your optimism and it's granted but your comment about effectiveness it's a bit exaggerated.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:

That's actually a pretty crappy list. Seems like all of your guys get washed up really quick.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Small d = pastry
McNabbMcFadden

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:

All solid players, but I can't say any of them have been very consistent. Still I'll give you this, you guys have drafted better than Andy that's for sure. Starting in 2012 I believe Andy was no longer the lead drafter, Howie took over that responsibility more or less.
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
Gmen wrote:

That's actually a pretty crappy list. Seems like all of your guys get washed up really quick.
That was my initial thought, but then you look at our last 9 and gain some perspective...

2003 Jerome McDougle

2004 Shawn Andrews

2005 Mike Patterson

2006 Brodrick Bunkley

2009 Jeremy Maclin

2010 Brandan Graham

2011 Danny Watkins

2012 Fletcher Cox

2013 Lane Johnson

:-&... at least Andy's gone

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arguably just as good. I mean, if you grade as Gmen would. It's easily comparable. IMO.

The glaring difference is the franchise QB. That's head and shoulders the better crop just because of Eli.

His Kiwi explanation can be used for Fat Pat but really, would anyone consider Fat Pat a good first rounder?

808 avy
808 wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's close, but I'd break it down as such

Good Picks
Eagles- 4 (Maclin, Cox, Lane, Shawn)

Giants- 5 (Eli, JPP, Prince, Pugh, Nicks)

Meh Picks
Eagles- 3 (Graham, Bunkley, Patterson)

Giants- 3 (Kiwanuka, Kenny, Ross)

Bad Picks
Eagles- 2 (McDougle, Watkins)

Giants- 1 (Wilson)

Seasons of high level starter play
Eagles- 4 (Shawn Andrews/3, Maclin/1)

Giants- 9 (Eli Manning/4, Nicks/2, JPP/1, Kenny/1, Prince/1)

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good breakdown RMIB

Hammertime52 wrote:
I laughed way too hard at this Laughing they talked about the Dane like Robert Downey Jr talked about The Hulk in The Avengers

"We have the Dallas forum"
"We have a Dane"
Art_Vandalay

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was Graham not a BAD pick? Especially considering we traded up 11 spots to get him and the next 11 picks looked like this:

14. Earl Thomas
15. JPP
16. Derrick Morgan
17. Mike Iupati
18. Maurkice Pouncey
19. Sean Weatherspoon
20. Kareem Jackson
21. Jermaine Gresham
22. Demaryius Thomas
23. Bryan Bulaga
24. Dez Bryant

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:

LOLWUT?

Ross - sucks
Prince - bad

That's just two off the top of my head

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, what's the criteria?

If you draft a stud but he happens to be injury prone and can't stay on the field. And then is off the team by year 3 or 4 is that a good pick. If you got a year and a half of pro bowl level play out of him and he's off the team a few injury riddled years later, was that better than a backup that played ok for a decade.

Are we judging by drafting talent or how that talent performed in the NFL?

Like Andrews was a clear first round talent. And because of his back (rap career and lack of ambition, really) his career was derailed and ended. Thus, to me, making him a bust. But the guy who drafted him had a good read on him. Would that go against your grading? Or is that considered a good pick?

I'd much rather have Patterson's career than Andrews'.

And Graham was a bad pick.

And I would consider value very important. Even though Kiwi has had a serviceable career for the Giants, he isn't a first round talent. And even though he's been productive, that doesn't mean that's a good 1st round pick.

808 avy
808 wrote:
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Gmen wrote:

LOLWUT?

Ross - sucks
Prince - bad

That's just two off the top of my head

You really think Prince is bad? I don't really know how to rank CB's. Doesn't seem to be one all encompassing stat to look at. But just messing around on google.

http://wp.advancedfootballanalytics.com/defenderstats.php?year=2013&pos=CB&season=reg

He seems to be middle of the pack on most of those. Seems like his overall numbers are pretty on par with Patrick Peterson for the 2013 season (no I am not saying Prince is better then Peterson) just perspective. Is there a CB you typically go by?

Ross is absolutely garbage though.

"A lion roars in the darkness only he holds the key, a light to free me from my burden and grant me life eternally"
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jroc04 wrote:
And I would consider value very important. Even though Kiwi has had a serviceable career for the Giants, he isn't a first round talent. And even though he's been productive, that doesn't mean that's a good 1st round pick.

I guess to really know we would need a study of 1st round picks and their average career span and how many "good" years. Which "good" is highly subjective so there's no way we could truly ever have an unbiased study.

"A lion roars in the darkness only he holds the key, a light to free me from my burden and grant me life eternally"
Art_Vandalay

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 16 of 99

Jump to: