Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My go at a post FA mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul-mac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: My go at a post FA mock Reply with quote

This is based on what I think Elway might do, not what I personally want

Picks
1-31
2-63
3-95
4-131
5-171
6-207
7-246

With the 31st pick in the 2014 NFL draft, the Denver Broncos select Xavier Su'a-Filo, Guard, UCLA
p-mac's take: This, like our entire draft, is going to be a BPA pick. It helps to kill two birds with one stone because it allows us to leave Orlando Franklin out at Right Tackle.

Denver trades the 63rd and 131st picks to Miami for the 50th pick, and with the 50th pick select Keith McGill, CB, Utah
I can really see John Elway falling in love with Keith McGill. He's the perfect tall, physical corner for our system and will come in to compete with Kayvon Webster for the starting RCB role.

With the 95th pick, Denver selects Yawin Smallwood, LB, Connecticut
Good value pick by the Broncos here because Smallwood's combine has caused his stock to slide a little, but he has the upside of an every down LB.

Denver trades next year's 3rd round pick to Jacksonville for the 114th pick, and with that pick they select Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin
Wes Welker is likely finished next year and who knows if Emmanuel Sanders and Andre Caldwell will ever be more than average WR's? This pick will more than anything benefit the Broncos in the Osweiler era.

Denver trades Chris Clark to the Carolina Panthers for the 128th pick and a conditional mid-round pick in 2015, with the 128th pick Denver selects Marcus Martin, C, USC
With the Su'a-Filo pick and the fact Painter is ready to be the 3rd OT Clark could be used as a trade chip to whoever fails to land their franchise left tackle in the early rounds. Martin is a development pick since Manny Ramirez is over 30 and is in the last year of his contract.

With the 171st pick, Denver selects Brett Smith, QB, Wyoming
Elway believes in drafting a QB almost every year, he is rumoured to love Brett Smith who will challenge Dysert for the 3rd spot.

With the 207th pick, Denver selects DeAnthony Thomas, RB, Oregon
DAT's stock has nosedived, but we could use a kick returner.

With the 246th pick, Denver selects Kevin-Pierre Louis, LB, Boston College
He can backup Danny Trevathan and provide another option on nickel downs.

Free agents

Glasco Martin, RB, Baylor
Always pick up a RB in undrafted FA. Martin could push Hillman and Anderson to be the #2.

Final 53
QB: Manning, Osweiler, Dysert
RB: Ball, Hillman, Anderson, Martin
WR: Thomas, Caldwell
WR: Sanders, Abbrederis
WR: Welker
TE: Thomas, Tamme, Green, Robinson
LT: Clady, Painter
LG: Su'a-Filo
C: Ramirez, Martin
RG: Vasquez, Garland
RT: Franklin

DE: Ware, Smith
DT: Knighton, Unrein
DT: Vickerson, Williams
DE: Wolfe, Jackson
SLB: Miller, McCray
MLB: Smallwood, Irving, Johnson
WLB: Trevathan, Louis
CB: Talib, Harris
CB: McGill, Webster, Carter
S: Moore, Bolden, Bruton
S: Ward, Ihenacho

K: Prater
P: Colquitt
LS: Brewer
KR/PR: Thomas

Practice Squad
QB Brett Smith
RB Jeroldis Williams
WR Greg Wilson
TE Cameron Morrah
G Ryan Miller
DE John Youboty
LB Jerell Harris
S John Boyett

Fify.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is based on what you think Elway would do? Thats quite a perplexing thought paul.

1. I strongly dislike trading up in the middle rounds of this draft, especially trading a 4th round pick. The depth in the 2nd-4th round is amazing. No need to reach for anyone. Theres strong players and developmental players all throughout the middle rounds.

2. Trading future picks is not Elways philosophy. Never has and never will be. Teams that trade future higher round picks are desperate. The Broncos arent.

3. I think the Clark trade is very likely, that is if Elway thinks that an OG in the 1st round is something he wants to do. I dont know how much I am for trading Chris Clark to be honest. The way he replaced Clady last year makes me think hes much more valuable than he gets credit for.

4. I love the Su'a-Filo and Smallwood picks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be thrilled with this draft, but it would be solid and there wouldn't be much complaints from me. It is also a draft that i could see John Elway making. In his 3 years he has addressed the trenches with everyone of his 1st picks, so Su'a Filo would make sense. He's also stated that he likes size at CB, where McGill would fit in.

I think you bring up an interesting point with the trade of Chris Clark. As i mentioned in the FA thread, one of my biggest questions heading into the draft and offseason is where Denver is actually at in regards to the OL. I mean, if Denver feels comfortable moving Franklin to LG, then i don't see the team moving Chris Clark. If they want to keep Franklin at RT, add a starting caliber Center or LG, and feel Vinston Painter is ready to step up and be a backup then Chris Clark would be a player that could be moved. His value will probably never be higher than it is right now and is on an excellent contract based on his play from last year. It could definitely be something Denver has up their sleeves, again, depending on how they feel about the direction of the OL.
TrentWilliamson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trading up hasn't been Elways style, but i think it is very possible this year. We should be getting a few decent compensatory picks next year, so we'll be in good shape if we part with some of next years picks. Every pick seems reasonable, with the exception of Pierre-Louis, he'll probably go around rd 5.
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus Martin would be a steal at that point to say the least but great pick. You get Martin and Su'a-Filo in the same draft, the offensive line will not be a problem for years.

Solid mock.
oldunclemark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good effort....

..but there is no chance of trading Chris Clark who is signed at a low rate

..with Clady coming off injury...

That simply isnt going to happen
paul-mac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldunclemark wrote:
Good effort....

..but there is no chance of trading Chris Clark who is signed at a low rate

..with Clady coming off injury...

That simply isnt going to happen
Depends how Clady's injury looks, also the fact we brought back Justice and the glowing reports about Painter and Garland suggest that Clark could be on the block on draft day

Fify.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think after the way Chris Clark played last year, that the Broncos are really going to see how he would do at RT, and move Orlando to Guard. And, if they did trade Chris Clark, I think he is WAY more valuable than a 128th pick. Offensive Tackles are at a premium these days and Chris played as well as any OT did last year...I think the Broncos get a least a high 3rd and something else in return for Chris.
broncodad313

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would Take Stanley Jean Baptiste over Mcgill but i would like to see that big bruisin OG
eddie mac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the 1st rd pick but I dont want any part of a 25 yr old CB in a trade up at 50. I wouldn't touch him before our own 3rd rd pick regardless of those that love his size.

Martin would be a superb pick in the late 4th but that is never gonna happen. OC's are at a premium in this draft and there's only 2 good ones in Richburg and Martin and both will be gone by the time the 1st 3rd rd pick comes on the clock. Look for the Patriots, Saints, Giants and Ravens to look early at both those guys. Infact there's general buzz that the former Ram could sneak into the 1st rd.

Really like the Smallwood, Abbrederis, Smith and KPL picks.

Dont think we'll trade Clark though, Franklin IMHO would be put on the block way before him given his value, stage of his contract and recent twitter outbursts.

Sig by Lil Uno thanks bro.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: