Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Now that we've signed Jared Allen ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Our secondary is the biggest weakness on this team right now.

Incompetence at safety.
Age and injuries at CB.

It is a toss up for me between Donald, HCD, and Dennard

Yup. Almost want to go Dennard if Donald is gone...

Love me some press man.

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTD wrote:
I'm not seeing where adding a DE satifies the need we have at UT. Allen is a very good player but is still a rotational DE at this stage of his career. Its a great signing because it gives us 3 starter grade DE that can rotate to stay fresh. The DT / UT position still needs a starter unless you are using Collins. So imo DT is still on the draft board very early along with CB and S.

It's definitely still on the list but I think it's behind the corner and safety now. We have added six free agents along the defensive line and all we have done to address our terrible secondary is bring in two guys who may not even be starters at safety and re-sign Charles Tillman going into his 13th season. To me safety is now by far the biggest need on our defense, and I think that cornerback is a close second given the age of the guys we have and virtually no depth behind them.

It's worth noting that our defensive line did not start giving up absurd rushing totals until after Briggs and Williams both got hurt. That also includes a time. Where Ratliff was not even yet on the team. Our current guys at DT are competent professionals at least even if they are not spectacular but now that they are also surrounded by good players on the outside and have competent healthy linebackers behind them they should be adequate if called upon to start for us.

With that said I do agree that we will add another DT at some point in the draft.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
RTD wrote:
I'm not seeing where adding a DE satifies the need we have at UT. Allen is a very good player but is still a rotational DE at this stage of his career. Its a great signing because it gives us 3 starter grade DE that can rotate to stay fresh. The DT / UT position still needs a starter unless you are using Collins. So imo DT is still on the draft board very early along with CB and S.

It's definitely still on the list but I think it's behind the corner and safety now. We have added six free agents along the defensive line and all we have done to address our terrible secondary is bring in two guys who may not even be starters at safety and re-sign Charles Tillman going into his 13th season. To me safety is now by far the biggest need on our defense, and I think that cornerback is a close second given the age of the guys we have and virtually no depth behind them.

It's worth noting that our defensive line did not start giving up absurd rushing totals until after Briggs and Williams both got hurt. That also includes a time. Where Ratliff was not even yet on the team. Our current guys at DT are competent professionals at least even if they are not spectacular but now that they are also surrounded by good players on the outside and have competent healthy linebackers behind them they should be adequate if called upon to start for us.

With that said I do agree that we will add another DT at some point in the draft.

It is simply amazing how adding one player can impact the flexibility of your draft. Allen has done just that. Given Houston's versatility and adding Allen, we still have DL need, but not a gaping hole. S/CB/DT are all interchangeable options with the first three picks...and even then, we are not locked into any of those positions if someone falls to us that we believe will be a major impact player.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
I go corner for sure. The CB market in the NFL right now is getting a ton of money. Draft Tillman's replacement for next year.

I'm not opposed to the idea of going CB in the 1st of the value is there.. I just don't know how I feel about drafting a guy in the 1st who's going to sit behind and learn from someone for a year.

Ideally you want an immediate impact starter from day 1 with that pick.

He can play Nickel year one and still be an immediate impact player.

I'd be fine with a solid CB prospect starting off at FS for this season if it keeps Conte off the field.

So if we have Dennard or Gilbert, start them at FS. If we go nickel formation then let him slide up to nickel and put the next best player at safety.

Honestly I think with us facing Rodgers and Stafford twice a year each, I think a NB will be on the field for over 50% of the defensive snaps. Plenty of reps to make a major impact in itself. But I would love to get them as much time on the field as possible, just depends on how quickly they can digest their assignments, coverages, and everything.
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
I go corner for sure. The CB market in the NFL right now is getting a ton of money. Draft Tillman's replacement for next year.

I'm not opposed to the idea of going CB in the 1st of the value is there.. I just don't know how I feel about drafting a guy in the 1st who's going to sit behind and learn from someone for a year.

I'd be fine with a solid CB prospect starting off at FS for this season if it keeps Conte off the field.

So if we have Dennard or Gilbert, start them at FS. If we go nickel formation then let him slide up to nickel and put the next best player at safety.

Honestly I think with us facing Rodgers and Stafford twice a year each, I think a NB will be on the field for over 50% of the defensive snaps. Plenty of reps to make a major impact in itself. But I would love to get them as much time on the field as possible, just depends on how quickly they can digest their assignments, coverages, and everything.

I think this is 100% true. But, I don't see a rookie corner getting better at corner by playing safety. Don't know that I've ever seen it that way. If we take a CB at 14 I expect they'll play outside in nickel with TJ kicking inside.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
SLCbear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
RTD wrote:

You are both right. A dominate DT like Sheldon Richardson, in addition to what we now have on the outside, will make everyone behind them all the more potent. Is Donald, Jernigan or even Nix this guy??
A true#1 Lockdown Corner takes elite WRs out of the game as we are moving toward a more hybrid approach on D>>is Dennard or Gilbert this guy?
A dominate Safety could vastly improve our fortunes here as well Exclamation Is Pryor or Ha Ha this guy Question

The bottom line is that we must come out of this draft with two starters on D(DT &DB), a slot receiving threat(TE or SR) and a Punter. We have seven picks to get all four. Very doable but very little room for error. My answer at #14 is which of the above 7 is the greatest football player/man.

ADOPT-A-BEAR #23KyleFuller *INT3 / PD6 / FF3 / COMB33

Last edited by SLCbear on Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:03 am; edited 3 times in total
SLCbear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:

It's the other way around. You draft a S with cover skills to help out <not take a rookie and throw him into the fire at a new position> Right now, Chris Conte would perform far better at safety than any college corner playing out of position> Pryor can cover the slot pretty well, Clinton-Dix maybe as well.

And as your post implies, there will be plenty of reps for a rookie CB at his natural position anyway.

ADOPT-A-BEAR #23KyleFuller *INT3 / PD6 / FF3 / COMB33

Last edited by SLCbear on Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:06 am; edited 2 times in total
MonsterCityGHS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: hmmm.... Reply with quote

Bears54 wrote:
If it was me I would definetly draft Aaron Donald at #14 and wait and see if HaHa and Pryor fall past the #20 pick. If they do I would pull the trigger and trade up to draft either HaHa or Pryor. Would probably have to give up our 2nd, 4th and a 2015 draft pick to do it but I would be all for it. We would have fixed our defense in one season.

1st round- Aaron Donald
1st round- Haha or Pryor
3rd round- best available Corner
5th round- best available Center
6th round- best available corner
7th round- best available QB
Genius although you have 1st round twice Bears take Aaron Donald aka big Don in my 2 pac in juice voice and 2nd round best S would be next.

Last edited by MonsterCityGHS on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sugashane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLCbear wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:

It's the other way around. You draft a S with cover skills to help out in Nickel, not take a rookie and throw him into the fire at new position. Right now, Chris Conte would perform far better at safety than any college corner playing out of position> Pryor can cover the slot pretty well, Clinton-Dix maybe as well.

And as your post implies, there will be plenty of reps for a rookie CB at his natural position anyway.

I have to completely disagree here. Mathieu barely played any safety at all at LSU (then had a year away from football) and there are other safety prospects who played corner in college.
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: hmmm.... Reply with quote

MonsterCityGHS wrote:
Bears54 wrote:
If it was me I would definetly draft Aaron Donald at #14 and wait and see if HaHa and Pryor fall past the #20 pick. If they do I would pull the trigger and trade up to draft either HaHa or Pryor. Would probably have to give up our 2nd, 4th and a 2015 draft pick to do it but I would be all for it. We would have fixed our defense in one season.

1st round- Aaron Donald
1st round- Haha or Pryor
3rd round- best available Corner
5th round- best available Center
6th round- best available corner
7th round- best available QB
Genius although you have 1st round twice Bears take Aaron Donald aka big Don in my 2 pac in juice voice and 2nd round best S would be next.

Adopted Bear: LB DJ Williams
Christmas List
Sack of Aaron Rodgers
Sack of Matthew Stafford
Tackle Adrian Peterson for loss

TFL: SACK: INT: FF: FR:
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTD wrote:

We are assuming that signing allen shifts Houston in to UT, where he is probably better suited. If they plan to use Willie Young as just a situational guy, and have Houston at LE, then UT is still most definitely a huge need.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TankWilliams wrote:
RTD wrote:

We are assuming that signing allen shifts Houston in to UT, where he is probably better suited. If they plan to use Willie Young as just a situational guy, and have Houston at LE, then UT is still most definitely a huge need.

If Donald and Clinton-Dix are both there at 14 and Emery doesn't pick either of them this place is going to go bonkers.

GRRLacher wrote:
Athelite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply put the Allen signing gives us a lot more flexibility with the first pick.

^Takeonme^
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athelite wrote:
Simply put the Allen signing gives us a lot more flexibility with the first pick.

I think if we stay at #14 we are down to 3 options…Donald, Gilbert, HaHa…in that order IMO...we still badly need inside help on that Dline even with Allen here.
topwop1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:

Well I don't expect that to happen after reading this.

Brad Biggs wrote:
Coach Marc Trestman said Wednesday that Kelvin Hayden, who sat out all last season after suffering a torn hamstring in the first week of August during a practice at Soldier Field, will compete with Isaiah Frey for the role when OTAs begin this spring.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: