Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Now that we've signed Jared Allen ...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IotaNet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Now that we've signed Jared Allen ... Reply with quote

... do we go for a Stud safety (HCD or Pryor) at 14 or do we stay with the previous conventional wisdom and pick Aaron Donald?

When I first saw the signing, my immediate thinking was:

1) Best Safety available
2) Best CB available
3) Best D lineman available
4) Best D lineman available
5) Developmental QB (or best Running back available)
6) BPA
7) BPA

I just read this article however: http://nflmocks.com/2014/03/26/chicago- ... red-allen/ and it got me thinking.

I suppose it boils down to how close you think Deone Bucannon/Jimmie Ward are to HCD/Calvin Pryor in their ability to be NFL impact players because if you take Donald at 14, you'll have to 'settle' for "War-cannon" in round 2.

Thoughts?
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking we either go with Haha, or try to trade down and pick up Hageman.

RE: Allen
UT: Houston
NT: Hageman
LE: Young

That could potentially have as much turnaround as the OL did last season.
Bears54

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: hmmm.... Reply with quote

If it was me I would definetly draft Aaron Donald at #14 and wait and see if HaHa and Pryor fall past the #20 pick. If they do I would pull the trigger and trade up to draft either HaHa or Pryor. Would probably have to give up our 2nd, 4th and a 2015 draft pick to do it but I would be all for it. We would have fixed our defense in one season.

1st round- Aaron Donald
1st round- Haha or Pryor
3rd round- best available Corner
5th round- best available Center
6th round- best available corner
7th round- best available QB
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way I'm trading up in this draft. The defense still has way too many holes, and not nearly enough young players in development to give up picks in this draft.

Adopt-a-Bear Kyle Long

PFF Grade through Regular-Season Game 3: 2.7 (20th in NFL) Highest rated rookie OL

Highest rated OL in the Pre-Season
jspiel24

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
There is no way I'm trading up in this draft. The defense still has way too many holes, and not nearly enough young players in development to give up picks in this draft.

Agreed. We aren't trading up unless it's an astoundingly good deal/value.

While I do believe we're going to draft a defensive back in the first round, I'd be more than warm to the idea of drafting Donald to bolster the defensive line even further. None of the safeties "stand out" to me really. Not that I'm opposed to drafting one of them, that is.

WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our secondary is the biggest weakness on this team right now.

Incompetence at safety.
Age and injuries at CB.

It is a toss up for me between Donald, HCD, and Dennard
DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TankWilliams wrote:
I'm thinking we either go with Haha, or try to trade down and pick up Hageman.

RE: Allen
UT: Houston
NT: Hageman
LE: Young

That could potentially have as much turnaround as the OL did last season.
That's a good looking 3rd and long D but can we stop talking about Hageman being drafted to play NT? It's just stupid.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go corner for sure. The CB market in the NFL right now is getting a ton of money. Draft Tillman's replacement for next year.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
topwop1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
I go corner for sure. The CB market in the NFL right now is getting a ton of money. Draft Tillman's replacement for next year.

I'm not opposed to the idea of going CB in the 1st of the value is there.. I just don't know how I feel about drafting a guy in the 1st who's going to sit behind and learn from someone for a year.

Ideally you want an immediate impact starter from day 1 with that pick.
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:

I'm not opposed to the idea of going CB in the 1st of the value is there.. I just don't know how I feel about drafting a guy in the 1st who's going to sit behind and learn from someone for a year.

He can play Nickel year one and still be an immediate impact player.

Adopt-a-Bear Kyle Long

PFF Grade through Regular-Season Game 3: 2.7 (20th in NFL) Highest rated rookie OL

Highest rated OL in the Pre-Season
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:

True, but considering our safeties, I think that that would be a much higher impact player for year one. Not necessarily saying we should go with safety over CB, just playing devils advocate. I say we go trade down and go BPA between DT, S, and CB at around pick 20.
IotaNet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TankWilliams wrote:
... considering our safeties, I think that that would be a much higher impact player for year one ...
Do we even have a starting safety on the squad right now?

This is my ultimate concern. We need a safety -- a stud -- a playmaker. Do we need to draft HCD or Pryor to make that happen or can "War-cannon" get it done? I'm not enough of a talent evaluate to be able to say but we definitely cannot have another Brandon Hardin situation. Shame on you

Last edited by IotaNet on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
RTD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not seeing where adding a DE satifies the need we have at UT. Allen is a very good player but is still a rotational DE at this stage of his career. Its a great signing because it gives us 3 starter grade DE that can rotate to stay fresh. The DT / UT position still needs a starter unless you are using Collins. So imo DT is still on the draft board very early along with CB and S.
MidwestMonsters

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This move coupled with all the other have shifted my mock. Previously I wanted Donald at 14 but now I'm more interested in getting Pryor if he's there. I think he's an impact talent and the guys we currently have at safety just aren't very ideal. Draft Pryor in the first, DT/CB or vice versa in the 2nd and 3rd.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:

What I'm basically advocating for is eliminating a hole for the long term. Sure he isnt going to start over Tillman right now(although Tillman probably wont be every single game). But he isnt going to be back here next year and Tim Jennings is going to be over 30. Your creating a little bit of flexibility for yourself in free agency and the draft next year. Does anybody feel like paying huge money to a corner in free agency?

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: