Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jared Allen signs 4 year deal w/ Bears
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLCbear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
SLCbear wrote:
Hey bro, can you break down JAs decline for me?

*Is it due to injury/playing through injury?
*At what point did you first notice any decline?
*How much does he have left?
*Can he still be dominate all four downs(full-time starter rep load)? Make another run for the sack title? Or will he only dominate rotationally??

You see him 16-20 times a season. I only see him twice<<<<but saw a significant decline this past season>>>>and in a contract season!
*Was this past season more of an aberration?
*Was he playing injured?
*Did you guys change to a scheme that didn't really suit his strengths????

I am VERY nervous about what I saw! His motor is still insane and uncontainable, but I am worried nonetheless!

Jared's "decline" is a relative term, because even though last year was considered a down year for him, he still got 11.5 sacks and put a lot of pressure on QB's. so if that's a down year, then obviously he's still got some juice left.

things about Jared Allen, that should still be current:

Arrow insane competitor. never gives up, not on a single play.
Arrow never wants to come out and take a down off, so he'll have to adjust to that somewhat if CHI coaches are asking him to. they'll learn they can't ask him to, he'll say no. they'll have to demand it.
Arrow very motivated to increase his career sack total, keeps a list of who's ahead of him on his locker. because of that, he's always going after the sack and a shifty runner can get by him.
Arrow but... you'll also see Jared make tackles 20 yards downfield, he stays with the play if it gets past him. once again, he never gives up on the play.
Arrow has some trick play versatility, that is fun if coaches use it. can line up at the line and fake he's going for the backfield but then drop back in to coverage and a linebacker replaces him on the rush. he's gotten INT's this way. will also line up on a goal line play at times as an extra TE and has caught a couple of TD passes this way. can also be the team's 2nd long snapper if the regular one gets injured during a game.
Arrow Jared's style is all about power and balance and speed and finesse. he's quite an artist at how he maneuvers a LT around. many times he won't disengage with the lineman, just push him in to the QB. one of his BEST sacks was just last year when a LT had his arms all over him and Jared kept pushing him back. then with just one arm Jared reaches in and grabs the QB and pulls both him and the LT down at the same time. that's what i mean about his style being about balance, it's almost like a close quarters Judo kind of thing where he's using the weight of his opponent against him.
Arrow if he gets 10-20 sacks in one season, he'll have three times that in almost sacks that are just a micro-second away from him taking the QB down. you can see it on replays, he'll be just inches away.
Arrow injuries do not seem to affect him in the least. he played most of the 2012 season with a shoulder injury that wouldn't allow him to sleep at night. still was a monster, and then got surgery in the off season.
Arrow LOVES to get the home crowd pumped up, really feeds off it. great teammate.
Arrow what's he have left in the tank? i'd say two years, maybe three. the contract your guys put together is very sensible.

Hey yo great great stuff!
<<Much obliged
Hope to return the favor someday(if so maybe should hmu through personal message so I get an email alert ha). Away from the site sometimes>>

Anyways, relative or otherwise there is some noticeable decline and this highlighted section is where I saw it most. A seemingly shocking decline! And over the course of just one season Exclamation He would stumble through moves and appear to not have his usual power from time to time.

Is this worth stressing over? Do you remember him playing hurt against us this past season, more hurt than usual ha! He's played like 165 games straight!

ADOPT-A-BEAR #23KyleFuller

Last edited by SLCbear on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:31 am; edited 20 times in total
G08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkokot wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Wow. So we really just signed him for 1yr $3mil and we take a $1mil cap hit by cutting him next offseason. What an incredible signing by us.

Also leads me to believe that after freeing up the $5mil from Cutler that we still have plenty of room for another starter in FA.

No. The 11.5 million dollar bonus is guaranteed if Allen is on the Bears roster as of April 9th of this year (ie. in 12 days).

Its a 2 year 15.5 million dollar guaranteed deal.
Ahhhh. Gotcha. That's strange. Still not the worst contract.

I think they did it to avoid a signing bonus spread over multiple seasons, instead a roster bonus just counts in the season its earned - and this way its guaranteed money.

Bears are trying to do 'Pay as you Go' as much as they can I'd guess.

How much of that cap hit is this year? Not sure if the bonus is split evenly between this year and next year or what.

3 million this year, 12.5 million next year if I am not mistaken. That accounts for the 15.5 guaranteed.

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.
SLCbear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to be able to just relax and enjoy the signing, but unless we acquire an anchor for the interior we are a Jay Ratliff injury away from disaster, possibly decimation. I love Nate Collins as a rotational/pinch-starter, and cannot believe! how disrespected he is around here sometimes. Stephen Paea is a solid rotation guy<<a far fricking cry from 2nd Round Royalty>>
So two nice rotational pieces and an aging starter Evil or Very Mad

I like Louis Nix III <<as of this post ha>> He is a run-stuffing lane-clogging Week 1 Starter(esp. with the elite talent combos that we can now put around him). My thought is to trade down for him and to then trade up <if necessary> for Kelcy Quarles, take them both!

Quarles could even be there for our second pick as many believe that his stats are overly inflated; benefitting from Clowney's dominance.

Last edited by SLCbear on Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:05 am; edited 16 times in total
SLCbear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^

Think of the Carolina Panthers drafting Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short #1 and #2 to line up with Greg Hardy and Charles Johnson, and how that turned out; despite their having a much worse secondary than what we currently have>
Carolina's LBs are probably a cut above ours, but ours are still quite good when healthy>

Two young bulls, up front and center is sounding better and better the more I think about it> The only greater scenario that I can realistically envision is to draft Justin Gilbert and Kelcy Quarles with our picks straight up Cool

bkokot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
bkokot wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Wow. So we really just signed him for 1yr $3mil and we take a $1mil cap hit by cutting him next offseason. What an incredible signing by us.

Also leads me to believe that after freeing up the $5mil from Cutler that we still have plenty of room for another starter in FA.

No. The 11.5 million dollar bonus is guaranteed if Allen is on the Bears roster as of April 9th of this year (ie. in 12 days).

I think they did it to avoid a signing bonus spread over multiple seasons, instead a roster bonus just counts in the season its earned - and this way its guaranteed money.

How much of that cap hit is this year? Not sure if the bonus is split evenly between this year and next year or what.

3 million this year, 12.5 million next year if I am not mistaken. That accounts for the 15.5 guaranteed.

Didn't we free up like 11.5 million this year by restructuring Cutler's deal?

I wonder if there's still another notable signing in the works.....
HuskieBear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkokot wrote:
G08 wrote:
bkokot wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:

Didn't we free up like 11.5 million this year by restructuring Cutler's deal?

I wonder if there's still another notable signing in the works.....

We freed up about 4M from Cutlers deal. With the cap room we did have, restructuring cutler, and cutting bennett, our cap was left roughly at 11.5 mil. Factor in JA's 3-4 mil cap hit this year, as well as the fact that we still need to sign our rookie class, plus any FA's during the year. I think emery is done with FA this year and will focus now on the draft, unless some vet gets cut that really interests them.
shruj

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTdRXMKh7VI

forgot about this. haha.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shruj wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTdRXMKh7VI

forgot about this. haha.

Amazing Laughing
IronMike84

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't gotten a chance to comment on this yet.

Great signing. I think if the Bears get a decent year or two out of Allen with 8-15 total sacks across that year or two, it will be well worth it. I don't expect much more than that.

Different player than Julius Peppers. Peppers is a introverted freak athlete. Allen is an outspoken high-motor guy. I have no idea what each guy is like in the locker room, but I get the impression that Allen may have a bigger impact than Peppers in that regard.
jspiel24

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno if anyone watched the press conference but he's definitely a smooth talker to the media. He knows what he's doing.

He'll be a star in Chicago if he plays well, for sure.

DaMike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspiel24 wrote:
Dunno if anyone watched the press conference but he's definitely a smooth talker to the media. He knows what he's doing.

He'll be a star in Chicago if he plays well, for sure.
I normally try and not get excited about any added player but I get the same feeling I had about Alshon Jeffery when thinking about Allen can do. I think in this system he can play back up at 270ish and be that big time impact DE. I think he can go for 10+ sacks. Possibly even more. I also think he's going to bring a big swagger with him. Allen, Houston and Young as pass rushers give us a lot to be excited about.
Athelite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really believe he will be in the top 5 all time sack leaders when he retires.

^Takeonme^
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athelite wrote:
I really believe he will be in the top 5 all time sack leaders when he retires.

His energy and excitement to be a Bear is contagious. The reality of Jared Allen aligns much more closely with the sentiments of Vikings fans who, on the whole, have been very gracious about both his departure and his joining a division rival.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: