Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jared Allen signs 4 year deal w/ Bears
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre004 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
BrettFavre004 wrote:
I heard its moreorless a 2 year 15.5 million contract.

Anyone know how the dead money for Peppers + Allen compares financially over the next two year to just keeping Peppers.

If at all close, probably a better move for year, feel like you need that speed on the edge for your D and Peppers was starting to lose that, can still definitely be successful in this league, but 4-3 in your D probably isn't his best fit anymore.

Although I feel like Allen was always a huge benefactor playing on inside in Minny, hope you keep that field in better conditions for him. Probably the biggest worry I'd have for him, playing 8 more times on grass.
The differences between Peppers and Allen are night and day. Peppers wasn't good enough anymore and we were rotating in young guys who just werent good enough either. Peppers had no chance of playing here next season because his play on the field just isnt good enough.

You did a nice job taking a backhanded shot at the Packers talent there while talking up your new player, however you did little to answer my question.
No shot at all at the talent on GB. You guys have talent. Just stating that the Peppers contract was terrible and you will realize that sooner rather than later. Peppers would be our #4 if he was still here. If Peppers was still a starting caliber player he would be a perfect fit for our scheme. You're the one that mentioned Peppers.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
BrettFavre004 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
BrettFavre004 wrote:

Anyone know how the dead money for Peppers + Allen compares financially over the next two year to just keeping Peppers.

If at all close, probably a better move for year, feel like you need that speed on the edge for your D and Peppers was starting to lose that, can still definitely be successful in this league, but 4-3 in your D probably isn't his best fit anymore.

Although I feel like Allen was always a huge benefactor playing on inside in Minny, hope you keep that field in better conditions for him. Probably the biggest worry I'd have for him, playing 8 more times on grass.
The differences between Peppers and Allen are night and day. Peppers wasn't good enough anymore and we were rotating in young guys who just werent good enough either. Peppers had no chance of playing here next season because his play on the field just isnt good enough.

You did a nice job taking a backhanded shot at the Packers talent there while talking up your new player, however you did little to answer my question.
No shot at all at the talent on GB. You guys have talent. Just stating that the Peppers contract was terrible and you will realize that sooner rather than later. Peppers would be our #4 if he was still here. If Peppers was still a starting caliber player he would be a perfect fit for our scheme. You're the one that mentioned Peppers.

Just from an overall perspective, GB's defense was not far behind the Bears in being bad. Given the talent we have added on paper, we have leapfrogged them, thus far. Whether or not that translates on the field will remain to be seen. Also, injuries, coaching, and the draft will still have plenty of impact, one way or the other.
DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
DaMike wrote:
BrettFavre004 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
BrettFavre004 wrote:

Just from an overall perspective, GB's defense was not far behind the Bears in being bad. Given the talent we have added on paper, we have leapfrogged them, thus far. Whether or not that translates on the field will remain to be seen. Also, injuries, coaching, and the draft will still have plenty of impact, one way or the other.
The have Matthews at one OLB spot. Then Nick Perry and Neal who can play elephant. Why bring in Peppers and back up the Brinks truck to take reps away from young talent? Especially when you're hoping that a position change will help Peppers actually care about being good again.
ForteOz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TankWilliams wrote:
VeniceBearsFan wrote:
I'm not too crazy about this signing...

I think its getting hyped up more than it should be, but I really see this move as a way to give us more flexibility in the draft. Now we could take a safety with the top pick and I wouldn't be too concerned with defensive line play for next season. Also lets us have some more time to develop guys like Cornelius Washington and some other rookies from this years draft and hope they become something.

It is being hyped because it is big news at this point in the free agency season and no one even thought the Bears were in play until they moved that cap space from Cutler's contract. Not to mention that he will be playing for a division rival.

I think your perspective on the impact to our roster (flexibility in the draft, buys us time to get and develop a younger option) are dead on.

People thinking he will have the impact Peppers had for us when we brought him in, well...
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForteOz wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:
VeniceBearsFan wrote:

I think its getting hyped up more than it should be, but I really see this move as a way to give us more flexibility in the draft. Now we could take a safety with the top pick and I wouldn't be too concerned with defensive line play for next season. Also lets us have some more time to develop guys like Cornelius Washington and some other rookies from this years draft and hope they become something.

It is being hyped because it is big news at this point in the free agency season and no one even thought the Bears were in play until they moved that cap space from Cutler's contract. Not to mention that he will be playing for a division rival.

I think your perspective on the impact to our roster (flexibility in the draft, buys us time to get and develop a younger option) are dead on.

People thinking he will have the impact Peppers had for us when we brought him in, well...

Expecting him to have the impact of Peppers, when he was brought in.....not a reasonable expectation. Expecting him to have considerably more impact than Peppers would have had for us if we had kept him on the roster, quite reasonable and probable.
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't feel this way about the signing, but I found this in the Jared Allen thread on Reddit. Thought it was pretty funny.

SLCbear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Emery: “We are extremely happy for Jared, his wife Amy, our fans and the Chicago Bears that Jared has agreed to terms.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/26/bears-sign-jared-allen/

Hey bro, can you break down JAs decline for me?

*Is it due to injury/playing through injury?
*At what point did you first notice any decline?
*How much does he have left?
*Can he still be dominate all four downs(full-time starter rep load)? Make another run for the sack title? Or will he only dominate rotationally??

You see him 16-20 times a season. I only see him twice<<<<but saw a significant decline this past season>>>>and in a contract season!
*Was this past season more of an aberration?
*Was he playing injured?
*Did you guys change to a scheme that didn't really suit his strengths????

I am VERY nervous about what I saw! His motor is still insane and uncontainable, but I am worried nonetheless!

<<I am a huge Celtics fan, the Truth is my favorite player of all time and love KG(fellow SCarolina boy)so no dis intended whatsoever. Brooklyn gave us 3 first round picks for these guys(&Jason Terry), adding them to all-stars Brook Lopez, Joe Johnson, and Deron Williams to take out the Heat>>but Brooklyn is a mess and I cannot think about this Allen signing without going here. Please help set my mind at ease Idea

ADOPT-A-BEAR #23KyleFuller *INT3 / PD6 / FF3 / COMB33
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on signing Jared Allen, Bears fans! He may not be quite the player he was 2-3 years ago, but he has kept himself in excellent shape and I'm sure he has PLENTY left in the tank. He should be a great player for you.

Aout wrote:
What is wrong with all these Packer fans insulting and raging all the time?
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLCbear wrote:
Hey bro, can you break down JAs decline for me?

*Is it due to injury/playing through injury?
*At what point did you first notice any decline?
*How much does he have left?
*Can he still be dominate all four downs(full-time starter rep load)? Make another run for the sack title? Or will he only dominate rotationally??

You see him 16-20 times a season. I only see him twice<<<<but saw a significant decline this past season>>>>and in a contract season!
*Was this past season more of an aberration?
*Was he playing injured?
*Did you guys change to a scheme that didn't really suit his strengths????

I am VERY nervous about what I saw! His motor is still insane and uncontainable, but I am worried nonetheless!

Jared's "decline" is a relative term, because even though last year was considered a down year for him, he still got 11.5 sacks and put a lot of pressure on QB's. so if that's a down year, then obviously he's still got some juice left.

things about Jared Allen, that should still be current:

Arrow insane competitor. never gives up, not on a single play.
Arrow never wants to come out and take a down off, so he'll have to adjust to that somewhat if CHI coaches are asking him to. they'll learn they can't ask him to, he'll say no. they'll have to demand it.
Arrow very motivated to increase his career sack total, keeps a list of who's ahead of him on his locker. because of that, he's always going after the sack and a shifty runner can get by him.
Arrow but... you'll also see Jared make tackles 20 yards downfield, he stays with the play if it gets past him. once again, he never gives up on the play.
Arrow has some trick play versatility, that is fun if coaches use it. can line up at the line and fake he's going for the backfield but then drop back in to coverage and a linebacker replaces him on the rush. he's gotten INT's this way. will also line up on a goal line play at times as an extra TE and has caught a couple of TD passes this way. can also be the team's 2nd long snapper if the regular one gets injured during a game.
Arrow Jared's style is all about power and balance and speed and finesse. he's quite an artist at how he maneuvers a LT around. many times he won't disengage with the lineman, just push him in to the QB. one of his BEST sacks was just last year when a LT had his arms all over him and Jared kept pushing him back. then with just one arm Jared reaches in and grabs the QB and pulls both him and the LT down at the same time. that's what i mean about his style being about balance, it's almost like a close quarters Judo kind of thing where he's using the weight of his opponent against him.
Arrow if he gets 10-20 sacks in one season, he'll have three times that in almost sacks that are just a micro-second away from him taking the QB down. you can see it on replays, he'll be just inches away.
Arrow injuries do not seem to affect him in the least. he played most of the 2012 season with a shoulder injury that wouldn't allow him to sleep at night. still was a monster, and then got surgery in the off season.
Arrow LOVES to get the home crowd pumped up, really feeds off it. great teammate.
Arrow what's he have left in the tank? i'd say two years, maybe three. the contract your guys put together is very sensible.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Arrow Jared's style is all about power and balance and speed and finesse. he's quite an artist at how he maneuvers a LT around. many times he won't disengage with the lineman, just push him in to the QB. one of his BEST sacks was just last year when a LT had his arms all over him and Jared kept pushing him back. then with just one arm Jared reaches in and grabs the QB and pulls both him and the LT down at the same time. that's what i mean about his style being about balance, it's almost like a close quarters Judo kind of thing where he's using the weight of his opponent against him.

here's the one armed sack with the LT between him and the QB, it's on Eli Manning. watch him reaching out with his arm when he's still a step or two away from Manning. Allen knew just what he was trying to do and how to accomplish it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uHbBqVo5Mg

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt realize Jared Allen liked Jay Cutler so much. Part of the reason he signed here and not Oakland is the stable QB situation. Same with Houston apparently.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
MonsterCityGHS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So juiced man this D Line is a real freaking monster, and it gets deeper with the Bears future additions from this draft. The haters can keep hating the hardcore fan could care less. NFL scouts keep saying this draft class is deepest they have seen in 30 years. We've been waiting on this Bears fans the Monsters of the Midway are back baby!!!!!! Cool
CBears019

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the signing from the beginning, but wasn't planning on getting too hyped up over it. The more and more I read about him, the more hyped I'm getting. Laughing

It's a good contract, so really nothing bad can come from it.

Adopt-a-Bear: Martellus Bennett, TE
Rec: 36 Yds: 364 TD: 4

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
I must also say kudos to Vikings fans...been very nice about this whole thing. Going to be weird for their fans to see Allen in a different uniform.

yeah, it will be. definitely. as will be seeing Peppers in green and gold.

when Jared Allen the Chicago Bear is introduced at a home Minny game, i am sure he will get a lot of cheers.

you know, Alan Page played the last three years of his career as a Bear too.

Wink
Page was one of the best Bears pickups in my memory. He played very well for the time he was here. I met the guy once up in Minneapolis and shook his hand. He and Ditka had the biggest, softest hands I ever shook. Page probably would have been a successful TE had he tried the position. This pickup has been my dream and I think it will help the Bears like no other next year.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeniceBearsFan wrote:
Allen was tied for seventh in sacks last year. This signing alone makes the Bears dline better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: