Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

BigTime's Mock Draft

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BigTimePatsFan9


Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 1233
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: BigTime's Mock Draft Reply with quote

I'm pretty darn bored at school right now, so I've been watching a LOT of college tape and thinking a lot about the draft and I figured I would churn out a quick mock draft. It goes against what BB typically does, but I think we would really benefit from this kind of a draft. Anyway, here goes nothing.

Round 1) Louis Nix III, DT, Notre Dame

I've heard a lot of mixed opinions about Nix on these forums. Some think he's a bum, some think he's a stud, some think he's average. I, for one, think that he is a stud. If you watch some of his 2012 tape, Nix was an absolute monster. He single handedly plugged the middle of the ND defensive line to stuff the run and pushed the pocket much more than you would expect for a man of his size. I think he would be the perfect replacement for Wilfork (either now or down the road, pending how that situation works out). Not only is he a fantastic player, but he has a great personality and is extremely coachable and well-liked. He just seems like the perfect fit to me and he should fall right into our laps.

Round 2) TRADE---Pick 61, 93, and future 7th to Baltimore for Pick #48

I know BB isn't really known to trade up unless he really really loves a player, but hear me out. The Pats essentially have 2 4th round picks with the compensatory, so I feel like they wouldn't mind giving up their 3rd rounder to get someone who could really have a huge impact on the team and wouldn't have been there at #61

And with #48, the Patriots select: Weston Richburg C Colorado State

If you haven't watched any game tape on this guy, I highly suggest it. He absolutely fires off the snap and stonewalls his opponents before they even have much of a chance to move. He's extremely technically sound and very mobile, which is huge for getting to the second level in the run game. Many people see him as the first or second interior linemen getting selected and frankly, he would be a steal at this point. I could foresee Richburg being a Pro Bowl caliber player from Day 1 and we could really use his help on the interior OL

Round 4) Kenny Ladler SS Vanderbilt

After running in the mid 4.5's at his pro day, Ladler addressed the concern that he didn't have enough closing speed or range to be effective at the pro level. I have watched Ladler play for 3 years now and I think that he's a complete strong safety. He has solid range, good ball skills, and fantastic tackling ability and technique. He could give Harmon a real run for his money at the SS spot and could be the piece of the puzzle that takes our secondary to that truly elite level

Round 4 Compensatory) Ben Gardner DE Stanford

Before injuring himself, Gardner was having a pretty great season. He has the strength to hold up very well against the run, but also has a pretty good set of pass rushing moves to boot. I think he could be one of the real steals of the draft due to his injury and I could realistically see him challenging Ninkovich or at the very least great depth behind him.

Round 6) Gator Hoskins TE/H-back Marshall

About 10 or 15 pounds undersized to be a true TE, Hoskins had a very solid year for Marshall. He's a fantastic athlete and his size/speed combo allows him to be moved all over the field and create matchup problems. I could see BB getting creating with Hoskins much like he did with Hernandez before that whole thing went south.

Round 6) (from Eagles) Gabe Ikard OG/C Oklahoma

Much needed depth on the interior OL. Played well at Oklahoma and should be a good reserve.

Round 7) Caleb Lavey ILB Oklahoma State

Replacement for Fletcher as a STer and reserve linebacker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
m haynes


Joined: 29 Jan 2011
Posts: 813
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: BigTime's Mock Draft Reply with quote

BigTimePatsFan9 wrote:
I'm pretty darn bored at school right now, so I've been watching a LOT of college tape and thinking a lot about the draft and I figured I would churn out a quick mock draft. It goes against what BB typically does, but I think we would really benefit from this kind of a draft. Anyway, here goes nothing.

Round 1) Louis Nix III, DT, Notre Dame

I've heard a lot of mixed opinions about Nix on these forums. Some think he's a bum, some think he's a stud, some think he's average. I, for one, think that he is a stud. If you watch some of his 2012 tape, Nix was an absolute monster. He single handedly plugged the middle of the ND defensive line to stuff the run and pushed the pocket much more than you would expect for a man of his size. I think he would be the perfect replacement for Wilfork (either now or down the road, pending how that situation works out). Not only is he a fantastic player, but he has a great personality and is extremely coachable and well-liked. He just seems like the perfect fit to me and he should fall right into our laps.

Round 2) TRADE---Pick 61, 93, and future 7th to Baltimore for Pick #48

I know BB isn't really known to trade up unless he really really loves a player, but hear me out. The Pats essentially have 2 4th round picks with the compensatory, so I feel like they wouldn't mind giving up their 3rd rounder to get someone who could really have a huge impact on the team and wouldn't have been there at #61

And with #48, the Patriots select: Weston Richburg C Colorado State

If you haven't watched any game tape on this guy, I highly suggest it. He absolutely fires off the snap and stonewalls his opponents before they even have much of a chance to move. He's extremely technically sound and very mobile, which is huge for getting to the second level in the run game. Many people see him as the first or second interior linemen getting selected and frankly, he would be a steal at this point. I could foresee Richburg being a Pro Bowl caliber player from Day 1 and we could really use his help on the interior OL

Round 4) Kenny Ladler SS Vanderbilt

After running in the mid 4.5's at his pro day, Ladler addressed the concern that he didn't have enough closing speed or range to be effective at the pro level. I have watched Ladler play for 3 years now and I think that he's a complete strong safety. He has solid range, good ball skills, and fantastic tackling ability and technique. He could give Harmon a real run for his money at the SS spot and could be the piece of the puzzle that takes our secondary to that truly elite level

Round 4 Compensatory) Ben Gardner DE Stanford

Before injuring himself, Gardner was having a pretty great season. He has the strength to hold up very well against the run, but also has a pretty good set of pass rushing moves to boot. I think he could be one of the real steals of the draft due to his injury and I could realistically see him challenging Ninkovich or at the very least great depth behind him.

Round 6) Gator Hoskins TE/H-back Marshall

About 10 or 15 pounds undersized to be a true TE, Hoskins had a very solid year for Marshall. He's a fantastic athlete and his size/speed combo allows him to be moved all over the field and create matchup problems. I could see BB getting creating with Hoskins much like he did with Hernandez before that whole thing went south.

Round 6) (from Eagles) Gabe Ikard OG/C Oklahoma

Much needed depth on the interior OL. Played well at Oklahoma and should be a good reserve.

Round 7) Caleb Lavey ILB Oklahoma State

Replacement for Fletcher as a STer and reserve linebacker


I not a fan of taking a nose in the 1st round and I do not want to lose picks in this draft. I would prefer to get additional picks. However if I can't make a trade in the 1st I would take Weston Richburg. A player you have the Pats trading 3 picks for. I don't care if some feel he's a reach. You get the guy that IMO will help improve our OL tremendously.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FakingInjuries


Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 543
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT
TE
C

and we're good!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 24853
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FakingInjuries wrote:
DT
TE
C

and we're good!


No LB?

The Pats #4 LB is Ja'Gared Davis. That's scary.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
m haynes


Joined: 29 Jan 2011
Posts: 813
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
FakingInjuries wrote:
DT
TE
C

and we're good!


No LB?

The Pats #4 LB is Ja'Gared Davis. That's scary.
Who do you like. What players would fit the Pats system.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattyl13


Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 123
Location: Exiled in Maine
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m haynes wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
FakingInjuries wrote:
DT
TE
C

and we're good!


No LB?

The Pats #4 LB is Ja'Gared Davis. That's scary.
Who do you like. What players would fit the Pats system.


At first I wanted the Pats to pick a DT, but it appears that there may not be one that fits their needs with their first round pick. Lately Ive been thinking more along the lines of a DE/LB. Knowing they have some versatility with their current group, it would allow them to select, for example, a DE and know that he could work in rotation with the current DEs and would allow them to move Nink around if need be. Or if they select a LB, perhaps Collins or Hightower could play more on the line if needed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
m haynes


Joined: 29 Jan 2011
Posts: 813
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattyl13 wrote:
m haynes wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
FakingInjuries wrote:
DT
TE
C

and we're good!


No LB?

The Pats #4 LB is Ja'Gared Davis. That's scary.
Who do you like. What players would fit the Pats system.


At first I wanted the Pats to pick a DT, but it appears that there may not be one that fits their needs with their first round pick. Lately Ive been thinking more along the lines of a DE/LB. Knowing they have some versatility with their current group, it would allow them to select, for example, a DE and know that he could work in rotation with the current DEs and would allow them to move Nink around if need be. Or if they select a LB, perhaps Collins or Hightower could play more on the line if needed.


I don't see any DT/DE, LB worth a 1st round pick for the Pats. The different mocks show Tuitt, Hageman, Jernigan and Nix going to the Pats I am not impressed with any of them.

There is one player that I have seen but IMO there is no way he will be there. Kony Ealy*, DE, Missouri. I have only seen a few mocks with him available at 29. If we get him at 29 I will be one happy camper.

I rather Collin drop back in coverage, not up at the line.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadpulse


Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 9365
Location: Boston MA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m haynes wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
FakingInjuries wrote:
DT
TE
C

and we're good!


No LB?

The Pats #4 LB is Ja'Gared Davis. That's scary.
Who do you like. What players would fit the Pats system.


For mid round LB's I like Jordan Tripp and Preston Brown. Maybe Shane Skov if the value is right as a 2 down player in the late 5th or 6th
_________________

Sigs-Taking Requests
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
derekstanggt


Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 1168
Location: Austin
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job on the mock. I would have liked to see a TE and LB drafted higher, and I don't think this is the year to trade up and give up additional picks, but I like the focus on linemen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Patsdood...1


Joined: 26 Jan 2011
Posts: 201
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like the effort with the mock draft for the Pats... I always enjoy reading them, especially when they have proposed trades.

I don't like the idea of getting rid of picks, I would rather obtain more... If the first round targets are off the board... Acquire more picks please.

As for your picks, I can't really complain... But I will praise one of them especially...

I love the Ben Gardner pick... We need pass rush help, and he has size and skill at the position, and is under the radar due to his injury. I think though he lacks a certain amount of athleticism, he brings a grit and a motor to the position (that label always gets put on less than stellar athletes) and is well coached. I really want them to draft this kid. He also looks sturdy enough to move inside on passing downs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
m haynes


Joined: 29 Jan 2011
Posts: 813
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patsdood...1 wrote:
Really like the effort with the mock draft for the Pats... I always enjoy reading them, especially when they have proposed trades.

I don't like the idea of getting rid of picks, I would rather obtain more... If the first round targets are off the board... Acquire more picks please.

As for your picks, I can't really complain... But I will praise one of them especially...

I love the Ben Gardner pick... We need pass rush help, and he has size and skill at the position, and is under the radar due to his injury. I think though he lacks a certain amount of athleticism, he brings a grit and a motor to the position (that label always gets put on less than stellar athletes) and is well coached. I really want them to draft this kid. He also looks sturdy enough to move inside on passing downs.
I just watch tape on him. Nice pick later in the draft.

Quote:
lacks a certain amount of athleticism
I saw the opposite. He looked smooth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group