Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock 5.0
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DatDudeKB3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Mock 5.0 Reply with quote

Keep in mind that I try to predict what we will do, and keep it as realistic as possible.

With us making our first few signings and the Draft nearing closer and closer, I will be cutting the offseason part out of my mocks now. I don't see much more happening than a rotational DE and another vet OL, if that. This mock will not account for any of those moves.

NFL Draft
**NOTE** I will not be predicting UDFAs.

Round 1: Bradley Roby, CB, THE Ohio St

A bad 2013 season has hurt Roby's draft stock pretty badly. Once a consensus top-ten pick, he has some technique issues that need fixing. Roby's upside is tremendous, and he without a doubt can end up being the best corner in this draft. With plus coverage skills, world-class speed, solid ball skills, and being sound in run-support, he has all the tools in the world to work with. If he lands with the right coaches, he could become a lockdown #1 corner. With Joseph and Carrier coaching our DBs, and being in a situation where we don't have to start him right away, Roby is a very possible candidate for the 24th pick.

Round 2: Brandon Thomas, OG/OT, Clemson

LG is a real question mark with Clint Boling tearing his ACL late in the season. Thomas offers the versatility we covet, playing both LT and LG at Clemson. Athletic, very strong, and long-armed, the undersized Thomas could get some looks to remain at OT, but his better fit is at OG. Very good at pulling, and solid in both pass and run protection, Thomas should not only be able to step in for Boling on Day 1, but keep the starting job after Boling returns, giving us very solid depth at OG.

Round 3: Christian Jones, LB, Florida St

Versatile LB who could play all 3 spots in our defense. Fantastic athlete with the ability to rush the passer and cover TEs, and yes, at times, even slot receivers. Very lengthy and a solid tackler. Would be a perfect fit as a SAM backer in our defense. Would be a pretty good value at this point.

Round 4: Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia

A guy we have shown a lot of interest in, I believe this pick totally depends on what happens with Dalton. If Andy isn't extended before the Draft, or at least semi-close to be extended, Mike Brown has made it seem the will prepare to move on. In that case, I think a guy like Mettenberger or Garropolo will be selected in the 2nd or 3rd round. I do believe something will be worked out with Andy though, and if so, I don't see a QB being taken before the 4th. Murray is a 4-year starter who produced quality performances in the SEC. An accurate passer with adequate arm strength, Murray is very experienced in a pro-style offense, and is athletic enough to gain some yards with his legs. Would be a very good backup for Dalton, and may even push for a starting spot in the future if Andy continues to struggle in big games.

Round 5: Aaron Lynch, DE, South Florida

With Margus Hunt being drafted in the 2nd last year, and Geathers returning from injury, I could see the team waiting until the mid-rounds to address DE if they feel comfortable with those two and Gilberry. As for Lynch, all the potential in the world, question is, does he want it bad enough? The team has shown interest in Lynch, and I could see him being the pick here. Can become a dominate pass-rusher and every-down starter if he wants to (which is a big if). Has the versatility to kick inside on passing downs. We either get the steal of the Draft, or waste a 5th rounder. Worth the risk.

Round 6: Matt Patchan, OT, Boston College

Another guy with tons of potential, the injury bug has hit him and hit him hard. Was able to stay healthy last season and put together a good year. Had a really good Combine performance, and could end up being a starter down the road. Would compete with Marshall Newhouse for a spot on the 53 as our swing tackle.

Round 6 (Comp): Trey Millard, H-B, Oklahoma

Ridiculously talented H-B who can block, run, and catch (not to mention hurdle). Falls to us here because of the posisiton being undervalued in today's league, and he is coming off of an ACL injury. Hue is all smiles. Very Happy

Round 7: John Brown, WR, Pittsburg St

Another guy we have shown interest in, Brown has elite speed and is dangerous in space. As an undersized guy, he has small hands which will cause him to drop some, but he routinely makes impressive catches. He can be lined up in the slot, in the backfield, and is an effective KR and PR on teams. A 3-time team captain, he has been commended as a leader on and off the field as a guy with great character.

Round 7 (Comp): George Atkinson III, RB, Notre Dame

Atkinson has an impressive combination of size and speed at 6'1, 218, running a 4.39 40. Sets up his blocks well, and has been a solid runner in limited action. Decent receiver out of the backfield, and also brings ability as a KR to the table. Would get some reps in camp and pre-season games, while probably finding a home on the PS.

53 Man Roster

QB: Andy Dalton, Jason Campbell, Aaron Murray

RB: Gio Bernard, BJGE, Ced Peerman, Rex Burkhead

H-B: Trey Millard

WR: AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mo Sanu, John Brown, Dane Sanzenbacher, Cobi Hamilton

TE: Jermaine Gresham, Tyler Eifert, Orson Charles

OT: Andrew Whitworth, Andre Smith, Matt Patchan

OG: Kevin Zeitler, Brandon Thomas, Clint Boling, Tanner Hawkinson

C: Mike Pollak, TJ Johnson

DE: Carlos Dunlap, Wallace Gilberry, Margus Hunt, Aaron Lynch, Robert Geathers

DT: Geno Atkins, Domata Peko, Brandon Thompson, Devon Still

SAM: Christian Jones, Sean Porter

MIKE: Rey Maualuga, Vinny Rey

WILL: Vontaze Burfict, Emmanuael LaMur

CB: Leon Hall, Terence Newman, Adam Jones, Dre Kirkpatrick, Bradley Roby

S: Reggie Nelson, George Iloka, Shawn Williams, Taylor Mays

K: Mike Nugent

P: Kevin Huber

LS: Clark Harris

Practice Squad

- Bruce Taylor

- Chris Lewis-Harris

- Onterio McCalebb

- Larry Black

- George Atkinson III

- UDFA OL

- UDFA DE

- UDFA WR
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty happy overall

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, I like it. I think Roby would be the pick if he interviews with our coaches well and they think they can get him straightened out. Thompson and Jones fill needs and offer great value. Murray is the easiest pick to mock this late in the draft for us. The draft wouldn't be complete if we didn't roll the dice on someone like Lynch. Brown could potentially replace almost everything hawkins did for us.

I guess I really like it overall, plus your 53 man roster. I know I am in the minority, but somehow I think Moch sticks around, if only for special teams. he is fast enough to play gunner, and at that size, just wipes people out. I saw him take four blockers out in a preseason game on one play once Laughing
DatDudeKB3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
Overall, I like it. I think Roby would be the pick if he interviews with our coaches well and they think they can get him straightened out. Thompson and Jones fill needs and offer great value. Murray is the easiest pick to mock this late in the draft for us. The draft wouldn't be complete if we didn't roll the dice on someone like Lynch. Brown could potentially replace almost everything hawkins did for us.

I guess I really like it overall, plus your 53 man roster. I know I am in the minority, but somehow I think Moch sticks around, if only for special teams. he is fast enough to play gunner, and at that size, just wipes people out. I saw him take four blockers out in a preseason game on one play once Laughing

As for Moch, I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Dunlap, Gilberry, Hunt, Moch, and Geathers or a FA is what our DE rotation is this season.
wrminning

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the Roby pick, I see it as reaching, Roby is not a 1st round pick, his play this year was a major step back. Also I don't see him as a fit with the Bengal's man to man style which he failed to adjust too last year in a big way. I believe Roby should now be a 3rd round pick. I realize someone will reach for him before the 3rd, I just hope it's not the Bengal's!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrminning wrote:
I hate the Roby pick, I see it as reaching, Roby is not a 1st round pick, his play this year was a major step back. Also I don't see him as a fit with the Bengal's man to man style which he failed to adjust too last year in a big way. I believe Roby should now be a 3rd round pick. I realize someone will reach for him before the 3rd, I just hope it's not the Bengal's!!!!

Which is why I see his interviews as such a big piece to his draft status.
Hokie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made another mock yesterday but haven't had time to do some analysis on it yet. This mock is spooky similar. I also went Roby 1st (even though I'm not crazy about the pick), OG in the 2nd, Murray in the 4th, and even took John Brown with 6B. Get out of my head!

I do like this mock. There's other prospects I like more than Roby but I think he's a strong candidate for 24 and if he keeps his head straight, he could be a very good NFL corner.

Only two (very minor) complaints:

1. I really don't like Aaron Lynch. At all. But for a 5th round pick, I agree that he may be worth the risk. He has a ton of potential but I don't think he'll ever realize any of it. Guy just isn't dedicated to his craft and is one of the most immature prospects I've ever came across. I wouldn't be shocked if he's out of the league in 2-3 years. But again, there is that small chance the light bulb comes on and if so, he could be a stud.

2. George Atkinson III is terrible, trust me. VT alum but have always been a Notre Dame fan, so I watch a lot of both teams. Atkinson has great track speed but offers little else. He fell to 3rd/4th on the RB depth chart by the end of the year (beaten out by a freshman and a white guy power back). He only came out because he knew he wouldn't be any higher than 4th on Notre Dame's RB depth chart next season. Good straight light speed, but it takes him an hour to get going (his acceleration is terrible) and he doesn't have quick feet.

But it's a 7th round pick, so hard to complain too much. I just know more about him than I should. Laughing

Overall, very solid draft.
sparky151

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see much chance of Roby in the first. He's probably the 5th best CB if we're being generous (behind Gilbert, Dennard, Verrett, and Fuller) and isn't a top 24 player. Roby himself might be on the board at 55 and if not there will be a decent CB prospect there. A new CB would come in as CB5 for the team behind Hall, Newman, Jones, and Kirkpatrick so it's actually not a tremendous need in 2014.
HangOnSloopy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky151 wrote:
I don't see much chance of Roby in the first. He's probably the 5th best CB if we're being generous (behind Gilbert, Dennard, Verrett, and Fuller) and isn't a top 24 player. Roby himself might be on the board at 55 and if not there will be a decent CB prospect there. A new CB would come in as CB5 for the team behind Hall, Newman, Jones, and Kirkpatrick so it's actually not a tremendous need in 2014.

I'm as hard on Roby as anyone, but I guarantee he doesn't come close to 55. Roby would see the field with ease this year in Stripes.

"Work Hard, Play Hard"
daboyle250 on the sig!
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I counted 52 players on your roster, so you can still add one more. Another guy at RB or CB would be what I would do.

I can agree with most of it. I think the team would be more suited with a FB that's not a rookie though.
sparky151

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HangOnSloopy wrote:
sparky151 wrote:

I'm as hard on Roby as anyone, but I guarantee he doesn't come close to 55. Roby would see the field with ease this year in Stripes.

Roby was a presumed first rounder going into the 2013 season. He had a pretty bad season with off field incidents, injuries, and bad games. So it's not hard to see him falling into or even through the second round.
wrminning

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
wrminning wrote:

Having a player that talks the talk is good, having one that can walk the walk is better. Last year Roby failed to walk the walk, teams moved the ball consistently against him, he played off and teams picked him short and he was still beat long. He was so bad that Urban pulled him at times in the fourth Qt. I agree he could still be there at 55, on film he should be, but I think someone will take a gamble on him earlier in the second. Roby could turn it around and return to his 2012 play but I think he has bust written all over him. He's my least favorite 1st round pick for any team not from Pittsburg or Baltimore!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But he fits Marvin's need for a reclamation project as well. I'm not saying I'd do it, just that given this team's history, it's possible
HangOnSloopy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrminning wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:
wrminning wrote:

Having a player that talks the talk is good, having one that can walk the walk is better. Last year Roby failed to walk the walk, teams moved the ball consistently against him, he played off and teams picked him short and he was still beat long. He was so bad that Urban pulled him at times in the fourth Qt. I agree he could still be there at 55, on film he should be, but I think someone will take a gamble on him earlier in the second. Roby could turn it around and return to his 2012 play but I think he has bust written all over him. He's my least favorite 1st round pick for any team not from Pittsburg or Baltimore!!!

It's well documented Roby had a down year. But from all accounts it was more of a scheme issue than a talent issue. And I challenge you to find one instance where Roby was pulled due to performance and not injury late in a game. That is just flat out inaccurate. Was he disinterested in playing for the Buckeyes this past season, probably. He had one foot out the door after his record setting Soph. season. I believe hes the type of player that will flourish in the Pro game. Just my opinion though. For the record, I do like Dennard and Gilbert better. Roby sits ahead of Verrett and Fuller for 3rd though.

"Work Hard, Play Hard"
daboyle250 on the sig!
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky151 wrote:
HangOnSloopy wrote:
sparky151 wrote:

Roby was a presumed first rounder going into the 2013 season. He had a pretty bad season with off field incidents, injuries, and bad games. So it's not hard to see him falling into or even through the second round.

Not keen at all about Roby in the 1st.. CB yes, Roby no.

Do any of you Ohio guys know if there is a problem @ Ohio State in terms of late graduation ceremonies precluding on time reporting to camp ?

I seem to recall there being a problem, but this may have just been for one specific year, rather than a annual problem. Can anyone clarify ?

Who was the last Ohio State guy we drafted ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: