Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Greg Robinson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitmire25

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Greg Robinson Reply with quote

Why does everyone want him so bad? I know he has potential but at times he looks lost and half of the time in Auburns scheme he is not even asked to block anyone. He was a few "wow" plays every game but I do not see where he is a top 10 pick.

Adopt-A-Falcon: JacQuizz Rodgers and Stansly Maponga
coors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not very familiar with him at all, personally. I watched a lot of Auburn games this past season, the only games I didn't see were their games against Washington State, Arkansas State, and the Florida Atlantic game. I was still living in Atlanta during last years football season, and a good amount of my friends are either Auburn students, alums, or just fans.. which is why I saw so many of their games being around them on Saturdays the Tigers were always on. Going into the year, I didn't know that much about how that team was going to fair especially coming off of how awful they were the season before not even winning a single SEC game. As the season progressed, I got to know that team pretty well, offense and defense alike.. almost by osmosis. The thing that gets me though.. is that during the entire season.. this Greg Robinson guy was not at any point on my radar.. I couldn't have even told you what position this guy played if somebody asked me, and I saw 10+ games of theirs. Sure, he's an OT.. and those guys don't get much pub. I get that. Sure, the offense they run doesn't necessarily require your OL to be big maulers or anything.. but I literally didn't know who this guy was until after the season was over and it started becoming "draft season" as opposed to the regular college football grind. Maybe this kid is good.. maybe he's arguably one of the top OTs available in this draft.. but it would scare the [inappropriate/removed] out of me if we or anybody was to take this kid so high when in my own eyes he personally seemed to come out of nowhere and didn't notice the kid during the entire season, just learn about him when the pads finally come off and everybody is running around doing drills trying to look good for scouts.

Just my own $0.02..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldnt mind him, but Mathews is clearly the better pass protector and more refined player right now.

Seems like most of the people enamored with him around here are so because people mention his name a lot. Would really like a breakdown on why they feel he is so special.
tech2186

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robinson is a monster in the run game. He also is very athletic to be such a big guy. He is more of a prospect with huge potential which is why analysts and pundits are so high on him. He came out of that Auburn Offense which isn't a passing Offense so the tape on his pass blocking is limited. I like Jake Matthews better as a prospect because he has played both RT and LT and excelled at both. He is also a better pass protector and an above average run blocker. I think Matthews is the safer pick between the two but that doesn't mean Robinson doesn't deserve some of the glamor he is receiving.

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
mjmiller

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its more of the potential that everyone sees in him then what everyone saw on the field. he should play G and be a very dominate one. but as of LT, Matthews is def the better option, atleast for right now.
Olympia Martin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Robinson is probably the most physically dominant mover given his size at the offensive tackle position in a decade. The potential is through the roof with this kid. They just don't walk out in April with 6'6" 330 pound guys that move like he does. Outstanding feet and leverage. Mauler in the run game. Better than Joe Thomas & Jake Long when they declared from a run blocking perspective only. Where the question marks lie with Robinson is can he be put on an island in the NFL and deal with speed rushers? He was not asked to do this at Auburn and Auburn does not run a NFL blocking scheme. He is going to have a learning curve. He needs pass pro technique work but all the tools are there. This kid is an elite left tackle prospect. There is no reason given his athletic ability he can't be coached to greatness. He is everything you wanted and thought Andre Smith would be if he went to the weight room coming out of Alabama. However, the key here is prospect. He is not fine tuned yet. He'll require coaching but his skill set, current ability and athleticism make him one of the great OT's to come out. If a team like St. Louis puts him at right tackle in a run based offense he is going to be an animal. That plays exactly to his strengths right now. Perfect situation for him to learn from a guy like Jake Long and move to LT in 2 years.

A guy like Jake Matthews is the total opposite. You know exactly what you are getting with Matthews. Matthews is a elite technician. His arm length is suspect but when you don't make mistakes you can overcome that. Right now Jake Matthews is more NFL ready and gets the tag for safer prospect because of his experience and blood lines. He was probably breaking down edge rushers in 4th grade. The difference is Robinson has the tools to be an Orlando Pace type player. He is not there yet but ala guys like Jason Pierre-Paul and Dontari Poe in recent years you roll the dice when the upside is so significant. HOF potential doesn't walk around often. That is what those elite prospects are. Sure fire impact immediate pro-bowl level talents where if they put it all together and play 12+ years they can walk to Canton, OH. I'd say Jake Matthews and Greg Robinson are those types of guys, the elites of the past 10 years or so. Robinson just has better upside.
Jgoldiscool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh, if OM is right I wouldn't mind just drafting Robinson and having a really good RT. Just let Baker play until we can cut him or keep him if he plays well. That is if Mack And Clowney aren't there at 6.

XBL GT: l JGOLD l

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: