Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The More Philbin Talks The More I Believe He Should Go
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maddogg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: The More Philbin Talks The More I Believe He Should Go Reply with quote

His backyard dog and pony show has worn thin on myself. The words that come from his mouth seem more corporate non speak than anything. Myself, I'm done with him and so should the Dolphins be also.

Not to be mean, but I'll chip in a few bucks so he could buy a clue.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24499993/joe-philbin-i-believe-strongly-in-dolphins-locker-room

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games 1 Tackles 3
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The More Philbin Talks The More I Believe He Should Go Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
His backyard dog and pony show has worn thin on myself. The words that come from his mouth seem more corporate non speak than anything. Myself, I'm done with him and so should the Dolphins be also.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24499993/joe-philbin-i-believe-strongly-in-dolphins-locker-room

Man, whatever!! If Miami wins 12 games you will be singing a different tune. Just let him do what he came to Miami to do. I swear so many fans just want change for the sake of change when consistency is what makes a team successful.
Manic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt have a problem with that interview. What's he supposed to say? We have a bunch of low character guys, I didnt even want half of them, and look forward to us sucking this season too?

I will just hope with a new gm and oc we can make some improvements and get into the playoffs or atleast have a winning season. Unless we totally bomb next year I think id give phil and hick a few years and see where we are then.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The More Philbin Talks The More I Believe He Should Go Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
Maddogg wrote:

Man, whatever!! If Miami wins 12 games you will be singing a different tune. Just let him do what he came to Miami to do. I swear so many fans just want change for the sake of change when consistency is what makes a team successful.

I haven't been a fan since day 1. Mostly, I have remained quiet, now I find his interviews akin to nails going across a blackboard. I'll take the under on a 12 win 2014 season.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games 1 Tackles 3
bpastermack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a great interview. Much better than any Bill Bellychick ever did

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Let's be honest, guys, every offseason since I've been coaching and I'm going into my 31st year, you always think of ways you can do your job better," he said. "As I examined some of the things that as the head coach of the Dolphins I can do better, I think the visibility factor can be a difference. That's one of the things I'm going to do. It's not that I've never been but I think what happens sometimes to coaches is you're conflicted with, 'Should I watch that blitz tape. Gosh, I got to get that third down film watched.' And sometimes it's better use of a head coach's time to walk through the training room, walk through the locker room, walk through the hallways. It's not that I've never done that stuff, but it's fair to say I'm going to do it more.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2014/03/joe-philbins-talks-at-the-nfl-annual-meeting.html

I liked what he said here.

For me Year 1 was a pass by default.

Year 2 some of his flaws become very apparent and he didn't seem to have nearly as many positive traits, IMO. Lack of preparation for games, stubborn commitment to certain personnel, the "my way or you get cut" attitude towards big locker room guys, constantly playing down to our competition and disappearing remarkably during big games & "easy games" alike.

IF our new OL coach can give us a half decent line, IF Lazor can run a better offense than Sherman did, IF Coyle pulls his head out of his rear and IF Tannehill can show growth for the 2nd consecutive season, Philbin might stand a chance.
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not want to turn this into a Stephen Ross thread but this is why I like him as a owner. The fact that he did not fire Philbin under media pressure. The fact he did not "fire" Ireland from the organization. He understands the importance of consistency. Unless the players totally tune Philbin out his year I think Miami should stay with him. I am tired of having a new coach every 3-4 years. I want consistency. Same goes for QB. Tanney is a work in progress but I have seen enough to know there is something worth building.

I want Philbin to man the ship.
Phinsnation84

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty, Philbin looked calm and upbeat during the interview and not like a robot like last year. I feel like everything was scripted for him last year and this year he is free.

Olivier Vernon
2014 Stats: 1 SACK 3 TCKLs 0 FF
Gubbi007

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I swear so many fans just want change for the sake of change when consistency is what makes a team successful.

I don't mean to be rude Mr. Lover, but that is misguided. Consistency in organisational leadership does not by itself provide success. Consistency is the effect of succesful leadership, not the other way around.

I also have never been enamored with Philbin, and it baffles me that Ross didn't wait until after the Wells report and then clean house to start over.

You are right about one thing though, if Philbin had gotten us 12 wins last season, I would be singing a different tune. Here's the thing though....he didn't. Philbin steered this ship in the wrong direction in year 2 of his leadership and that should not be condoned by ownership through votes of confidence.

As an organisation I think the Dolphins are at an all time low when it comes to reputation, and I'm afraid it will hurt us (and has hurt us). It doesn't appear to effect our ability to attract player talent, but I definately think we are having difficulties attracting coaching and front office talent.
Russ57

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am conflicted.

Philbin comes across as devoid of personality and passion. I can't picture him giving an inspiring pre-game talk that would cause me to play to new heights. He appears to have a "my way or the highway" attitude. That seems at odds with his make up. You almost think it is because he is so weak that he feels threatened by alpha male types.

Yet I sense an inner strength in his quiet and calm demeanor. I think he wants to do well as a coach. I think he is capable of change if he sees his natural inclinations are not working. I see a shrewd chess player.

I'd be the first to admit that I don't care for overly loud, arrogant, and boisterous people. I'm terrible at politics and always felt that knowledge and performance are what one should be judged on. Over time my role has envolved but once I would have said my guys would walk through hell and back for me. It wasn't because I gave pretty speechs. It was because I had their back at all times. It was because I demostrated that I knew what do in a crisis. It was because if anyone was going to take a bullet it was me first.

Different people command respect in different ways. There are managers of people and there are leaders. I suspect it will take Philbin a little time to grow into his role and win the respect and admiration of his team. I suspect he would never be the right leader for a room full of Incognitos. Lord knows I wouldn't want Richie on a job that required unified strict adherance to the gameplan.
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gubbi007 wrote:
Quote:
I swear so many fans just want change for the sake of change when consistency is what makes a team successful.

I don't mean to be rude Mr. Lover, but that is misguided. Consistency in organisational leadership does not by itself provide success. Consistency is the effect of succesful leadership, not the other way around.

I also have never been enamored with Philbin, and it baffles me that Ross didn't wait until after the Wells report and then clean house to start over.

You are right about one thing though, if Philbin had gotten us 12 wins last season, I would be singing a different tune. Here's the thing though....he didn't. Philbin steered this ship in the wrong direction in year 2 of his leadership and that should not be condoned by ownership through votes of confidence.

As an organisation I think the Dolphins are at an all time low when it comes to reputation, and I'm afraid it will hurt us (and has hurt us). It doesn't appear to effect our ability to attract player talent, but I definately think we are having difficulties attracting coaching and front office talent.

Applause

Consistency is only of value if you have the right guys in the right places. Consistency with the wrong guys is foolish. Those calling for consistency need to make a case for Philbin beyond staying the course for the courses sake. If we wanted consistency we could have stayed the course with Cam Cameron and we could still have Chad Henne at the helm.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no issue with anything Philbin said during this coverage. He verbally and publicly accepted responsibility for the locker room, and that's the right answer.

He keeps it boring and obvious, and that is exactly what I like to hear from Dolphins coaches, executives, and players.

While I haven't seen anything that shows Philbin is the guy, I haven't seen anything showing that he can't be. I have plenty of questions about Philbin, but the only one that matters is, " Can he LEAD us to the postseason and sustain that success "? I don't know the answer, but I suppose that he should get another season for evaluations sake.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have no clue who the "right guys" are. Your just mad that we haven't won in over 20 years. And in total disregard for logic, you act like the people in place now where here for the whole 20 years. How do I know ? You told me yourself when before game one you turned on him. We had no business winning 8 games with the roster we fielded last season, and your biggest gripe is the same demeanor that Tony Dungy has ?

Viruses to all your computers. Your thought process is unbearable.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only a few things that are gonna happen here.

1. Philbin wins enough games to temporarily satiate you. And you (because you have zero accountability) will say he won you over. Not that you where wrong.

2. He will win a Super Bowl and you will give all the credit to Hickey and Lazor.

3. He will lose and you will be even that much more annoying

4. The next guy will come in and you will either give him the reasonable time it takes if he's a celebrity or

5. Give him the Philbin treatment if he's an unknown.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ57 wrote:
I am conflicted.

Philbin comes across as devoid of personality and passion. I can't picture him giving an inspiring pre-game talk that would cause me to play to new heights. He appears to have a "my way or the highway" attitude. That seems at odds with his make up. You almost think it is because he is so weak that he feels threatened by alpha male types.

Yet I sense an inner strength in his quiet and calm demeanor. I think he wants to do well as a coach. I think he is capable of change if he sees his natural inclinations are not working. I see a shrewd chess player.

I'd be the first to admit that I don't care for overly loud, arrogant, and boisterous people. I'm terrible at politics and always felt that knowledge and performance are what one should be judged on. Over time my role has envolved but once I would have said my guys would walk through hell and back for me. It wasn't because I gave pretty speechs. It was because I had their back at all times. It was because I demostrated that I knew what do in a crisis. It was because if anyone was going to take a bullet it was me first.

Different people command respect in different ways. There are managers of people and there are leaders. I suspect it will take Philbin a little time to grow into his role and win the respect and admiration of his team. I suspect he would never be the right leader for a room full of Incognitos. Lord knows I wouldn't want Richie on a job that required unified strict adherance to the gameplan.

Great post!

I also think Philbin has a good head on his shoulders. I blame our offensive ineptitude to a complete lack of an offensive line, which I blame on Ireland. He now has his own guy at GM so let's see what happens next season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: