Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ben Garland to start?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul-mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Ben Garland to start? Reply with quote

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25412887/broncos-ben-garland-contender-replace-left-guard-zane?source=most_viewed

Must admit it would disappoint me to start a guy that has never played an NFL snap and was a pass rusher this time last year. I'm not 100% sure why this guy is still on the roster tbh

Fify.
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ben Garland to start? Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25412887/broncos-ben-garland-contender-replace-left-guard-zane?source=most_viewed

Must admit it would disappoint me to start a guy that has never played an NFL snap and was a pass rusher this time last year. I'm not 100% sure why this guy is still on the roster tbh

I don't get the feeling this guy is even going to be in contention. I think they want to see if he could play there in case injuries decimate the position and they need a body. I cannot fathom a situation where they go into the season with Garland at OG.

Thanks, Tzimisce
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"He's got a chance to come in and compete..."

Yep, moving on

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never even heard of this guy before. Doubt he's important.

Team Stylish
paul-mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Welker wrote:
I've never even heard of this guy before. Doubt he's important.

McDaniels picked him up as an undrafted free agent out of Air Force after the 2010 draft but then he dropped out of the team to go do his pilot training. He eventually came back for the 2012 training camp and has been a practice squadder the last two years but switched from the defensive line to offensive line last summer.

Fify.
eddie mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's been a DT, then a guard, then back to DT and seemingly back to Guard again now.

Sig by Lil Uno thanks bro.
mke1010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Garland. Who wouldn't?
But exactly how does this help our running game? We need another "Vasquez" on the inside. A tough physically strong dominant Guard so we can open up running lanes on both sides of the O Line!
This is the only way we can make our offense the dual threat capable enough to run in critical situations when our passing game is limited. I don't mind Ben as depth but as a starter, this would be underwhelming and a downgrade from Beadles when we needed an upgrade.

Last edited by mke1010 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
elliot878

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
I like Garland. Who wouldn't?
But exactly how does this help our running game? We need another "Vasquez" on the inside. A tough physically strong dominant Guard so we can open up running lanes on both sides of the O Line!

Oh you mean Orlando Franklin?

They're giving Garland every shot they can, for good reason, but I doubt he ever makes it.

That said AKRNA did have a glowing report last year of how Garland was developing on the OL, so I guess there's a shot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if/when Garland fails, fully justifies cutting him.

And doesn't moving Franklin inside make sense....can't remember, does he excel at the run or the pass ? Either way, he's a mauler and would have to take on speed rushers anymore.

Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.
mke1010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franklin is a beast of a run blocker. Struggles a bit in pass protection but has gotten better.
Seriously this Franklin situation is starting to remind me of the Nate Irving dilemma at MLB.

We all know that even with some initial growing pains, Orlando will be a beast at Guard. But the team just does not seem to want to move him there. Franklin, Ramirez and Vasquez on the inside would have the strength to maul opposing Defensive Tackles and open up huge running lanes.

Best scenario seems to be to move Franklin inside. Draft both a Tackle and a Guard for depth. Let Painter, Clark and draft pick battle for the starting RT position.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franklin has the power to be a mauling OG. But, we use our LG to pull all the time. I strongly disagree with anyone that thinks Franklin could fit at LG if we run the same offense as last season, which relied on a mobile LG that was making 2nd level blocks and pulling.

Some will counter that we can kick Vasquez to LG, but I hate the idea of moving a All Pro caliber player.

IMO we need a LG that can do what Beadles did in terms of mobility but has a stronger anchor, and simply keep Franklin at RT.
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never understood the fascination with moving Franklin to LG.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ben's wife asked him to start the car this morning. Does that count as starting?
broncos_fan _from _uk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
IMO we need a LG that can do what Beadles did in terms of mobility but has a stronger anchor, and simply keep Franklin at RT.

This is exactly whim excited to see what Garland can do in camp this year. Last year in the couple of amp practices I got to go to it was obvious garland had the lightest feet of all the OL not named Clady. In the one 1on1 drill I saw him in (matched up against sly) he anchored very well. His problem was in technique. It was horrible. But he worked with Gibbs every day after practice last year to improve it. I have a gut feeling he could be this years Duke Ihenacho.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think every Broncos fan would love Garland to succeed, it's just hard to see it with the fact he's a 4 year man and hasn't played a snap yet. If he's been getting the same tutorials as Painter then that's a reason to be optimistic.

Fify.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: