Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mike Brown: A.J. Greenís option buys time.........
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
Hokie wrote:
If Brown gives Dalton an extension based on the previous three seasons then he's even more inept that I thought.

Dalton needs to be playing for a contract next season.

That's the problem though 'Hokie' right there isn't it ?

You see 0 for 3 in January; The Bengals and Daltons agent see 30-18 and 3 play-off berths in his first 3 years.

I wouldn't dismiss Brown as being 'inept' just yet on this. He will have a value for Dalton in his head; and this may just be his 'leverage' to decide what to do with him. If Dalton wants so much it precludes extending Green and Burfict, he maybe has until May to decide on a possible long term Dalton replacement plan.

This is just Brown playing poker in public......

Every member of the national media will see 0-3 in January as well. The only people who will get on board with a Dalton extension are Bengal homers who will blindly support the team no matter what. Peter King has already said he believes signing Dalton to an extension before the season would be a mistake, and lead editor at Cincy Jungle Josh Kirkendall (who is a bit of a homer IMO) even agrees with him (as does virtually every fan who commented on the article).

I'm all for letting Dalton prove everyone wrong this season, but it would be senseless to lock ourselves into having a (possibly) mediocre quarterback for the next several seasons.

That's all I have to say about the matter, as I don't have any desire to have "Andy Dalton Debate V15.0" on here.

Extensions can be misleading though. You can extend a guy and have him be just as cut-able after the fact. Just don't leave any dead money at the end of the contract.

I'm ok with a Dalton extension if all the money is up front and he can be cut before the extension portion takes hold without dead money. Or however they want to structure it to make sure he's not uncut-able. In other words, not a Sanchez extension (that one forced the Jets to keep him last year).

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
Hokie wrote:
If Brown gives Dalton an extension based on the previous three seasons then he's even more inept that I thought.

Dalton needs to be playing for a contract next season.

That's the problem though 'Hokie' right there isn't it ?

You see 0 for 3 in January; The Bengals and Daltons agent see 30-18 and 3 play-off berths in his first 3 years.

I wouldn't dismiss Brown as being 'inept' just yet on this. He will have a value for Dalton in his head; and this may just be his 'leverage' to decide what to do with him. If Dalton wants so much it precludes extending Green and Burfict, he maybe has until May to decide on a possible long term Dalton replacement plan.

This is just Brown playing poker in public......

Every member of the national media will see 0-3 in January as well. The only people who will get on board with a Dalton extension are Bengal homers who will blindly support the team no matter what. Peter King has already said he believes signing Dalton to an extension before the season would be a mistake, and lead editor at Cincy Jungle Josh Kirkendall (who is a bit of a homer IMO) even agrees with him (as does virtually every fan who commented on the article).

I'm all for letting Dalton prove everyone wrong this season, but it would be senseless to lock ourselves into having a (possibly) mediocre quarterback for the next several seasons.

That's all fine and dandy; except the people who really matter in this debate; (Bengals coaches and front office); evidently want a long term deal with him.

The reason I started this post 'Hokie' was not to debate Dalton over and over as a player, but to assess whether Brown; (in unusually going public on a players contract); is trying to get leverage over Daltons people before May, so maybe he can draft a young guy if Daltons sticker price is too high.

Seems to me this was worth posting, as this info potentially should be 'music to the ears' of guys who want to move on from Dalton.
poorbytehshore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an outsider (and Browns fan) looking in, having a decent, competent QB is nothing to smirk at. However, I don't envy the position that you guys are in with Dalton. I don't believe he will ever be able to go all the way in the Playoffs and I definitely think he is a major part of what is holding you back late in the year.

But it's hard to justify to the fanbase letting him go unless there is an obvious improvement ready to take over. Can't see you guys drafting early anytime soon so it's an awkward one. I wouldn't pay him though.
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poorbytehshore wrote:
As an outsider (and Browns fan) looking in, having a decent, competent QB is nothing to smirk at. However, I don't envy the position that you guys are in with Dalton. I don't believe he will ever be able to go all the way in the Playoffs and I definitely think he is a major part of what is holding you back late in the year.

But it's hard to justify to the fanbase letting him go unless there is an obvious improvement ready to take over. Can't see you guys drafting early anytime soon so it's an awkward one. I wouldn't pay him though.

Same position everyone thought the Ravens were in. They managed to get one super bowl. Now everyone doubts they'll get another.

I dunno, i guess we'll see how it plays out. I'm still on the side that thinks there's an outside shot they can win some playoff games with Dalton. But i also don't disagree with your point. It certainly is a pickle.

MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Mike Brown says he was looking to give Dalton a contract extension, now hes saying hes not sure. And before that he was saying he would of rather drafted Kaepernick and Mallet over Dalton for that matter too.

The good thing about this is now they can use the Franchise tag on Dalton next year if they want to or not. I don't really see how Dalton would want to leave the Bengals, unless the Fans decide to go like the Matt Schaub Texans fans route. So really its up to the team if they want to pay him the money or not. Get one more year out of him and see if he can finally win a playoff game or not.

A QB needs to be drafted though in like the 4th round or something, even though I don't think its a guarantee now with the Jason Campbell signing.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCincinnati wrote:
A QB needs to be drafted though in like the 4th round or something, even though I don't think its a guarantee now with the Jason Campbell signing.

I think Campbell is going to be here for one year only, unless he somehow overtakes Dalton. I think the team is locking in on Aaron Murray or another similar QB by the fourth round. he will be groomed to take over for Campbell in two seasons and possibly start if the team and Dalton part ways, though in that scenario, I could see Campbell sticking around a bit longer. Maybe Mike Brown wants Mallett to hit the open market. Laughing
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:

I think Campbell is going to be here for one year only, unless he somehow overtakes Dalton. I think the team is locking in on Aaron Murray or another similar QB by the fourth round. he will be groomed to take over for Campbell in two seasons and possibly start if the team and Dalton part ways, though in that scenario, I could see Campbell sticking around a bit longer. Maybe Mike Brown wants Mallett to hit the open market. Laughing

Mallet will be a guy that I can honestly see Brown making a run for in Free Agency should Dalton struggle. But until I see Dalton get benched a start, I don't think they will make a big run for any other bigger name QB's.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree. Andy is here as long as he wants.
theJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotrac's prediction on Dalton's contract.

http://www.spotrac.com/premium/research/nfl/contract-forecast-andy-dalton-438/

Quote:
Spotrac's Prediction: 5 years, $94,066,451
Average annual salary $18,813,290, estimated $31,800,000 guaranteed

Good gravy that seems expensive.

ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:

Quote:

please no. he is not worth that money

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:

Quote:

No way. i'd rather start one of us on this site than pay that type of cash to him. He is good at best, but nowhere near elite.
Anonymous3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would squat a brick if we gave Dalton an extension like that. Unless it's basically all non-guaranteed, it would be one of the most mind-numbing contracts ever.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:

Quote:

Wow...... Now I generally like Dalton and what he's achieved so far, but not that much. he isn't worth that sort of gravy.

But, I bet those ARE the sorts of numbers Daltons agent is suggesting.

I understand now why Mike Brown is suggesting Daltons sticker price may be too high in potentially stopping deals for others, and wants this done before May so he can maybe look @ QB high in the draft.
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:

Quote:

No F-ing way thats gonna happen.

If his average salary is close or above that, I will personally order every Bengal fan on here a free Jersey of there choice. This is not a joke.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCincinnati wrote:
theJ wrote:

Quote:

No F-ing way thats gonna happen.

If his average salary is close or above that, I will personally order every Bengal fan on here a free Jersey of there choice. This is not a joke.

If you buy everyone on this board a jersey, I'll pwersonally take you to a game to help you feel better

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: