Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Post FA Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Post FA Mock Reply with quote

Now that most things have been settled in free agency we have a better idea of what our most pressing needs are going to be in this year’s draft so here it is…

Free Agents…

QB…Shaun Hill…6-3” 220lbs…

The backup QB in this system simply has to be a game manager who is smart with the ball and will understand that his role is to simply get the ball into the hands of the playmakers around him…Hill is an experienced campaigner who gives us a steady backup presence.

OT…Eben Britton…6-6” 310…

Britton was a solid and versatile option for us last year showing ability as a swing tackle as well as a blocking TE when needed…he would come back and fill the exact same role this year…still young enough to even challenge Mills at RT.

WR…Jacoby Ford…5-9” 190lbs…

After releasing both Bennett & Weems we not only got rid of two receiving options but also two guys who could have been in the running to take over kick returning duties from Devin Hester…Ford has had his injury problems but he is electric with the ball in his hands…at vet min he is worth the risk.

LS…Patrick Mannelly...6-5" 265...

If Mannelly still wants to play then we should still want him as our long snapper.

Draft…

Round 1…

UT…Aaron Donald…6-1” 288lbs…Pittsburgh…

When it comes to building a defence I’m a firm believer that you have to build from front to back…regardless of how good your DBs are there is very few who are going to be able to consistently cover NFL WRs for 5-8 seconds without their Dline applying pressure on the QB…finding upgrades on our Dline has to be the #1 goal this offseason…we have made a good start by adding Lamarr Houston & Willie Young to the mix but while that provides somewhat of an upgrade it mainly just offsets the loss of Peppers & Melton…add in the fact that both guys are slated to take over DE positions and we desperately need an upgrade at the DT spot…getting Ratliff helps but he is aging and injury prone…Paea is talented but injury prone…Collins is coming of an ACL and is nothing more than a backup talent…finding that outstanding UT who can really apply pressure on the inside is of paramount importance…and Donald is the perfect candidate to fill that role…Donald is just a natural pass rusher with an unmatched busts out of his stance he uses his natural leverage to put guards at a massive disadvantage…his combination of both ability and power means when he gets level with a guards shoulder the contest is over as he gives them no chance to recover…he shows a variety of moves to keep linemen off guard and has the closing speed to get the QB to the ground…his production was outstanding at Pitt…in his final three seasons he had 27.5 sacks & 63 TFL…the guy simply lives in the backfield of opposing defences and as much as he is undersized his TFL show that he effects the running game…he isn’t going to hold up double teams but by playing the run as he rushes he forces RBs out of the holes that the play was designed to go to…I truly believe that this guy is going to be special at the next level and when you combine his production, the athletic ability he showed at the combine, his leadership & work ethic & the importance of the position he plays we will be lucky to get him at #14…I think if he was 3” taller he would be a top 5 pick…adding him would add the playmaking ability Emery craves and give us a centre piece to build this D around for years to come.

Round 2…

DE…Kareem Martin…6-6” 273lbs…North Carolina…

More help for the most important unit on the defensive side of the ball with this pick…having added Houston & Young some will think we could bypass the DE this early but I’m not 100% sold that Houston & Young bring enough to the position to not make a move for another talented rusher…Houston will be an every down play at LE on early downs before moving inside to DT on passing downs…Young tho I don’t see as a real every down option…I think he will play a high number of snaps but if we can use him at the right times rather than on every downs I think he would be more effective for us so going into the draft to find an every down RE should still be a priority…when Emery talked about what he was looking for in DEs he could have been describing Martin…at 6-6” 273” with near 35” arms he has the measurable that Emery wants…his athletic ability is impressive for a man his size showing the ability to accelerate out of his stance, dip to get around the corner & close to take down the QB…he has some work to do on his technique and could stand to develop more pass rushing moves but the tools are there to do that and with some more experienced coaching staff now on the team they could teach him how to use his size & length to a greater extent…Martin is however a very good run defender at this point in his career…he hold the POA as well as any 4-3 DE in this year’s draft and has the ability to then shed and make the play himself…I think adding Martin to Donald & Houston along with Ratliff gives us a good starting four.

Round 3…

FS…Ed Reynolds…6-1” 208lbs…Stanford…

Unlike Jerry Angelo Phil Emery has never gave me any reason to think that he is a liar…he has spoken this offseason about getting heavier and longer at the DE position and he went ahead and did that with Houston & Young…one of the other things he spoke about this offseason was Chris Conte and wanting to give him the opportunity to compete to retain his starting FS job…I think Emery knows that Conte’s confidence was shot last year and as badly as he played there was too much put on his play due to the terrible play of our front seven so the more I think about it the more I think we by pass safeties in the top two rounds then bring in a talent to compete with Conte for that starting spot…Reynolds is a safety who has gotten lost in the shuffle this year but after his sophomore campaign many had him pegged as a 1st round pick…Reynolds has good size for the FS spot and plays with a physical nature attacking the LOS from deep centre field where he lines up most of the time for Stanford…his instincts allow him to close on ball carries in a hurry and his tackling technique is good enough where he won’t miss many…in pass coverage Reynolds shows savvy in reading and even baiting QBs into thrown balls they really shouldn’t…he has the range to play over the top and stop deep routes from developing into big plays…as a sophomore he showed good ball skills which is something we need at the position…Reynolds is a smart guy who will pick up any scheme quickly and slot into his role with ease…I think he would beat out Conte because he is much more physical.

Round 4…

CB…Pierre Desir…6-1” 205…Lindenwood…

Cornerback was a need coming into last season let alone this one…with Jennings now resigned and hopefully in this scenario getting Tillman, Bowman & McManis back we still need to find some new talent at that spot to develop for the future and Desir is exactly the type of CB you need in today’s NFL…he may not be very well known now but after the combine plenty of teams will be interested which will push him up into the 3rd round…at 6-1” 205lbs he has the size & length to match up with bigger WRs…those physical traits allow him to play in press coverage but he also shows the athletic traits to play any coverage…he was recruited as a RB and was used on kick-off returns early in his career and ran in the 4.5s at the combine…he looks comfortable in man but zone is where he really excels…his biggest question mark will be the level of competition that he has been facing but as much as the step up to the NFL level would be a big one he has the traits to do it…Desir is also a good tackling CB who doesn’t shy away from contact…the most impressive part of his game tho is his play making ability when the ball is in the air…he has 25 career INTs…Emery will be intrigued by his size, length, athletic ability & playmaking ability that he has shown.

Round 5…

WR…Bruce Ellington…5-9” 198lbs…South Carolina…

Fifth round and time for some offensive help…we are in a great position on offence because he can take talent who fit specific roles…Ellington is a similar player to De’Anthony Thomas or Dri Archer in terms of playmaking ability…I like Ellington the most of the 3 because he has a very think build similar to a Steve Smith type of frame and he has been lining up at WR for most of his career whereas Thomas & Archer has played more as RBs…Ellington would come in and compete with Marquess Wilson as our 3rd receiver…he is a much more explosive player with outstanding speed and COD skills in the open field which means he is the perfect complement to the giants we have on the outside…his ability to make explosive plays also lends well to him taking over as our kick and punt returner as well which is something else I think he could excel at.

Round 6…

NT…Ryan Carrethers…6-1” 338lbs…Arkansas State…

Carrethers is a football player…he was never going to wow anyone at the combine in shorts but his playing strength makes him an outstanding development NT behind Jay Ratliff…he shows the ability to not only hold the POA against double teams but to also shed those blocks and make the tackle himself…one of the most impressive stats in college football last year was the fact that Carrethers facing constant double teams and at 338lbs had 93 tackles in just 13 games…not many NTs are that active when it comes to actually making plays…he showed the ability to get into the backfield as well with 8 TFL & 4 sacks…I think considering the NT spot in a 4-3 D isn’t of great importance he may have the ability to develop into a starter down the road but even early on he could play on run downs in the rotation.

Round 6…

P…Pat O'Donnell…6-4” 220lbs…Miami…

O’Donnell has just transferred to Miami from Cincinnati…not only does he have a big leg averaging just over 47 YPP but he is also a quality athlete reportedly running a 4.6 forty with a 10-yard split of 1.53…355-pound bench, broad jumps 9’2” (backed all of that up at the combine)…we need a punter who can change field position and help our D out.

Key UDFA Pickups…

QB…Bryn Renner…6-3” 220lbs…North Carolina…

Renner is a guy who was once slated to go higher than this but fell off toward the end of his career due to injury and scheme change…the guy had a tough time at NC with them seemingly changing offensive scheme year in year out but he clearly has some arm talent…give him to Trestman and see what he can do.

RB…Lorenzo Taliaferro…6-0" 230…Coastal Carolina…

Taliaferro is a big back who would replace Bush in some short yardage situations but he also has a pretty solid all round skill set showing that he can pass protect as well as catch the ball out the backfield…he is never going to run away from people but he would be a steady hand as a #2 back.

TE…Ted Bolser…6-6” 258lbs…Indiana…

Bolser is a solid yet unspectacular all round TE in the mold of a Kevin Boss type…he lines up at multiple spots for Indiana and shows soft hands as an intermediate target in the passing game…his run blocking needs some work like most TEs are don’t line up strictly in line but as a #2 he would be better an Rosario.

TE…Evan Wilson…6-6” 255lbs…Illinois…

Wilson is a big athletic body who has a solid all round skill set…I feel he was underused at Illinois and could have his best football ahead of him…he would compete with Onobun, Rosario & probably another couple of UDFA TEs for a roster spot.

Depth Chart…

QB…Jay Cutler…Shaun Hill...Bryn Renner
RB…Matt Forte…Lorenzo Taliaferro…Michael Ford
FB…Tony Fiammetta
WR…Brandon Marshall…Marquess Wilson
WR…Alshon Jeffery…Dominik Hixon
Slot…Bruce Ellington…Jacoby Ford
TE…Martellus Bennett…Ted Bolser…Evan Wilson
LT…Jermon Bushrod
LG…Matt Slauson…James Brown
C…Roberto Garza…Taylor Boggs
RG…Kyle Long
RT…Jordan Mills…Eben Britton

LE…Lamarr Houston…David Bass
UT…Aaron Donald…Stephen Paea…Israel Idonije
NT…Jay Ratliff…Ryan Carrethers
RE…Kareem Martin…Willie Young
SLB…Jon Bostic…Shea McClellin
MLB…DJ Williams…Jordan Senn
WLB…Lance Briggs…Khaseem Greene
NB…Isaiah Frey…Kelvin Hayden
CB…Charles Tillman…Pierre Desir
CB… Tim Jennings…Sherrick McManis
SS…Ryan Mundy…Craig Steltz…Danny McCray
FS…Ed Reynolds…Chris Conte

K…Robbie Gould
P…Pat O'Donnell
LS…Patrick Mannelly
DaMike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same first 2 picks for a while. I'd be happy if we got Donald and Martin.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather we draft a TE over a WR in round 5 after signing Ford (who I like for us) and wouldn't draft a punter, but other than that I'd be good with this. I've mocked Martin to is in the 2nd a few times now and Reynolds is a good value in the 3rd. I'm not thrilled with Donald at 14 which you already know but it wouldn't upset me.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
blkwdw13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this except I wouldn't sign Ford or Mannelly, I would just find their replacements and much cheaper ones in the draft or as UDFA's.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
I'd rather we draft a TE over a WR in round 5 after signing Ford (who I like for us) and wouldn't draft a punter, but other than that I'd be good with this. I've mocked Martin to is in the 2nd a few times now and Reynolds is a good value in the 3rd. I'm not thrilled with Donald at 14 which you already know but it wouldn't upset me.

Talent wise I think the WR class is so strong that a WR in the 5th of this draft may be like taking WR in the 3rd of most drafts…talent wins out over need here…I think we need to get the best punter possible to help this D out…adding an extra 10-15 yards to an offences starting position might be enough for this D to do something to keep them in field goal range rather than given up TDs.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blkwdw13 wrote:
I like this except I wouldn't sign Ford or Mannelly, I would just find their replacements and much cheaper ones in the draft or as UDFA's.

Ford would be a vet min pick up given that his market seems to have been pretty much so non-existent…Mannelly has been so good for so long that getting him back means we don’t have to worry about the spot.
blkwdw13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
blkwdw13 wrote:

Ford would be a vet min pick up given that his market seems to have been pretty much so non-existent…Mannelly has been so good for so long that getting him back means we don’t have to worry about the spot.

Yes Ford would be a vet min salary but he has played 22 games in the last 3 seasons, and Mannelly is easily replaced and it has been shown multiple times now his vet minimum almost a million is over priced for the position.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blkwdw13 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
blkwdw13 wrote:

Yes Ford would be a vet min salary but he has played 22 games in the last 3 seasons, and Mannelly is easily replaced and it has been shown multiple times now his vet minimum almost a million is over priced for the position.

There is no doubt Ford has had injury problems but he would come in here mainly for his return skills…not as a receiver so the limited reps would help keep him healthy…when it comes to Mannelly it’s a position that many see as easy but when a long snap goes wrong it goes badly wrong and usually leads to points for the other team…I just don’t like the risk attached to not having the best we can at that spot.
blkwdw13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
blkwdw13 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
blkwdw13 wrote:

There is no doubt Ford has had injury problems but he would come in here mainly for his return skills…not as a receiver so the limited reps would help keep him healthy…when it comes to Mannelly it’s a position that many see as easy but when a long snap goes wrong it goes badly wrong and usually leads to points for the other team…I just don’t like the risk attached to not having the best we can at that spot.

And everytime Mannelly has been injured he has been replaced just fine and by the likes of guys like Clutts. And what you just said about Ford you can find in the draft and Ellington who is in your draft would be good for that.
MemphisBear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be stoked on this draft. Although I don't think Desire will last until our 4th.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blkwdw13 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
blkwdw13 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
blkwdw13 wrote:

And everytime Mannelly has been injured he has been replaced just fine and by the likes of guys like Clutts. And what you just said about Ford you can find in the draft and Ellington who is in your draft would be good for that.

Clutts was never a full time LS…some of the guys we have brought in have done a solid job and if I thought we could get a longer term option I would take it but as I said it’s just a position where if it goes wrong it hurts so badly that having the best option is worth the extra money…Ellington would be our #3 WR…not so sure I want him playing on special teams too much given that we lined up in 3 receiver sets well over 50% of the time last year.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MemphisBear wrote:
I would be stoked on this draft. Although I don't think Desire will last until our 4th.

I think the CB class is so strong this year that even if a guy like Desir is gone there will still be plenty of talent on the board which is why we can hold off until the 4th to grab one.
blkwdw13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
blkwdw13 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
blkwdw13 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
blkwdw13 wrote:

Clutts was never a full time LS…some of the guys we have brought in have done a solid job and if I thought we could get a longer term option I would take it but as I said it’s just a position where if it goes wrong it hurts so badly that having the best option is worth the extra money…Ellington would be our #3 WR…not so sure I want him playing on special teams too much given that we lined up in 3 receiver sets well over 50% of the time last year.

That is exactly the point, Clutts came in during the game and did just as good as Mannelly. And Ellington and Wilson would split the #3 WR duties along with M. Bennett so there is plenty of room for him on STs.
MemphisBear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
MemphisBear wrote:

I think the CB class is so strong this year that even if a guy like Desir is gone there will still be plenty of talent on the board which is why we can hold off until the 4th to grab one.

Just out of curiosity, which corner(s) would you take there if he is gone?
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blkwdw13 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
blkwdw13 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
blkwdw13 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
blkwdw13 wrote:

That is exactly the point, Clutts came in during the game and did just as good as Mannelly. And Ellington and Wilson would split the #3 WR duties along with M. Bennett so there is plenty of room for him on STs.

You can’t really compare a bit of a game to year after year of consistency…if we have the money remaining I would rather just pay Mannelly for the peace of mind…and yeah both Ellington & Wilson would take snaps as the #3 WR but I still don’t like the idea of having front line players playing on special teams.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: