Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why does everyone say OL?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  

OL or Skill Player at #2?
OL (Robinson or Matthews)
25%
 25%  [ 6 ]
Khalil Mack OLB
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Sammy Watkins WO
29%
 29%  [ 7 ]
Jadaveon Clowney DE
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 24

jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
kgarrett12486 wrote:
Flatlyner wrote:
cover2man_flats wrote:
I think Clowney would excel under the tutelage of Fisher (Has the ability to get the best of out his lineman) and Long (who will make sure he isn't taking plays off, along with Lil Animal).

I also agree with the assessment of, as far as drafting WR's, we have been less than stellar. Tavon is about the only exception. Pettis would be like a poor man's Ricky Proehl IMO. Givens is a good 3rd option, but that's about it. Watkins is a true #1 WR, with serious RAC ability.

Having said that, I'd like to see us draft Clowney at 2, and use the 13 to trade up to grab Watkins. Somehow, I think we are going to trade out of the 2 to Atlanta (unless they trade with Houston) and set up more picks in the middle rounds, and use the 13 to get the BPA.

I disagree. I think Bailey displayed that he can be an effective WR for us next year. Would not be surprised to see him as a starter day one next season. I loved what I saw from him last year.

I wouldn't write off Chris Givens either. He had a horrendous sophomore slump, but Torry Holt was on local radio the other day talking about how impressed he's been with Givens this off-season and the work that he's putting in...

He thinks he'll bounce back nicely and I can't go against a HOF WR sharing his thoughts on a WR...

I'm usually of the same mind, but Givens hasn't even put on pads yet this year. What could Torry be observing that makes him think that? The number of pull-ups he can do?

Maybe he's working with Holt on route running?

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Golden_Knight5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been thinking on our #2 overall and all this bogus trade talk especially in many mock drafts now....I don't think it is going to be traded prior to the draft as we did in 2012. My reasoning is simple: Jadaveon Clowney. I feel like Snead would have already traded it, especially knowing his relationship with Atlanta, but Fisher won't allow it. This is because Fisher wants to know exactly who Houston picks at #1, which we wont until May 8. If it is Bortles or Manziel, the Rams will keep the pick and get JC. I believe that is the reason it hasn't been moved. It isn't a situation like in 2012 where the first pick was for sure. Now if Houston came out and made it clear theyre taking clowney(which it seems they wont) the pick would be traded shortly.

Back to the WR classes, we really havent had a chance to get any of the guys in recent years like Calvin, AJ Green or Julio. The only solid one we had a shot at was Blackmon, and Fisher was pissed off in his "war room" when the Jags picked him 2 picks ahead. Best thing that ever happened though, cuz we got those pix from the skins and Blackmons a perennial F up. It is unfortunate we havent found any gems/steals in the later rounds but thats what it is. Typically the best receivers in today's NFL are high draft picks, alah Dez, Calvin, Julio, AJ, Demerius, Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, Fitzgerald, Bowe. Some exceptions are Jordy, Jeffery, Cobb(2nd rounders) and Brandon Marshall (4th). Most of the receivers weve picked in the last few years have been 3rd-7th rounders. Unfortunately those just don't hit very often, especially with our lackluster WR scouting department. Just a few thoughts of mine..
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden_Knight5 wrote:
Ive been thinking on our #2 overall and all this bogus trade talk especially in many mock drafts now....I don't think it is going to be traded prior to the draft as we did in 2012. My reasoning is simple: Jadaveon Clowney. I feel like Snead would have already traded it, especially knowing his relationship with Atlanta, but Fisher won't allow it. This is because Fisher wants to know exactly who Houston picks at #1, which we wont until May 8. If it is Bortles or Manziel, the Rams will keep the pick and get JC. I believe that is the reason it hasn't been moved. It isn't a situation like in 2012 where the first pick was for sure. Now if Houston came out and made it clear theyre taking clowney(which it seems they wont) the pick would be traded shortly.

How is this trade talk bogus? There is a very legit chance that we're going to be moving back. It's at least a 50/50 chance of it happening (IMO it's higher than that). even with Clowney on the board at #2...

IDOG_det on the sig...
RIP "El Fenomeno" - Oscar Taveras
Picked4td

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden_Knight5 wrote:

Back to the WR classes, we really havent had a chance to get any of the guys in recent years like Calvin, AJ Green or Julio. The only solid one we had a shot at was Blackmon, and Fisher was pissed off in his "war room" when the Jags picked him 2 picks ahead. Best thing that ever happened though, cuz we got those pix from the skins and Blackmons a perennial F up. It is unfortunate we havent found any gems/steals in the later rounds but thats what it is. Typically the best receivers in today's NFL are high draft picks, alah Dez, Calvin, Julio, AJ, Demerius, Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, Fitzgerald, Bowe. Some exceptions are Jordy, Jeffery, Cobb(2nd rounders) and Brandon Marshall (4th). Most of the receivers weve picked in the last few years have been 3rd-7th rounders. Unfortunately those just don't hit very often, especially with our lackluster WR scouting department. Just a few thoughts of mine..

it hasnt been traded yet because no one knows who the Texans are taking. The Falcons or any other team wanting Clowney isnt gonna trade a bunch of picks over 1 month before the draft and sit there and hope Clowney falls to them, cuz if he doesnt it was a huge waste. Same can be said for teams wanting to move up for a QB. If Clowney goes 1st, QB needy teams dont have as big a need to trade up because the top 3 QBs would still be remaining. Or if a team is wanting to trade up for a certain QB and that QB goes 1st, again it would be a waste. The pick not being traded yet has little if nothing to do with the rams desire to or not to trade the pick or other teams desire to trade up
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Texans are taking a QB

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
Golden_Knight5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
How is this trade talk bogus? There is a very legit chance that we're going to be moving back. It's at least a 50/50 chance of it happening (IMO it's higher than that). even with Clowney on the board at #2...

I don't see the Rams passing on Clowney if he's there at 2. Even though I still think Watkins would be more beneficial to the teams success NEXT year, Clowney is probably a safer pick over the span of the next 5 years. My thinking is the Rams are not gonna trade the pick until #1 overall has been picked by the Texans, because I believe they have real interest in Clowney if he falls. And I would say less than 50% chance we move back, nobody wants to break the bank IMO on any of these qbs because they are not Luck/RG3 caliber. All just heresay, as of now of course...
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is very unlikely that the pick is traded PRIOR to the draft. Its because of the situation we are in, is very different than the one with Luck/Griffin.

When the Redskins Traded up for #2, they were for all intents and purposes trading up for Griffin. But, in the crazy scenario that the Colts would have passes on Luck, to take RG3, they would have been just as fine with the trae (heck they would have won the trade then)

This year, its not 2 elite QB prospects, its for one guy, Jadeveon Clowney, who still has a chance to be taken #1 overall (either by the Texans or some other trade up). If that were to happen, then the Whomever moved up to #2 would be SOL and traded up for no reason assuming Clowney was their target.

Im sure we will have a few legit offers for the pick going into draft night. ANd I be we will have best offers ready to take regardless of who the #1 pick is. If its a QB, I believe we will have a Deal with ATL ready to go. If its Clowney, Im sure someone will be looking to jump up to get their QB (a much less return on the trade) as it seems most teams have their preference and dont see the Top 3/4 as all on the same consensus.

At this point, its very unlikely we keep the pick.
Golden_Knight5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Rams are very likely interested in trading down regardless of what Fisher says, but any potential deal likely won't happen until the draft. Fisher did suggest St. Louis could pass on Sammy Watkins if it holds onto the No. 2 overall pick, and hasn't dismissed the possibility of taking Jadeveon Clowney. (Not that coachspeak about draft prospects means anything this time of year.) OT Greg Robinson is another strong possibility if the Rams stay put. Mar 29 - 2:32 PM

-Roto. I honestly don't know if Fisher suggesting the pass on Watkins would be a smokescreen or not. I don't know how to tell. Now I think it will be Clowney if he is there. Wouldn't mind Matthews or Lewan if we trade down though, it would really solidify our line for the future, and I've embraced that. Lewan is really a well smoken, smart guy, Ive been really impressed with him.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id much rather have Robinson or Matthews because they could play LG. Especially inside the top ten id be really mad if Lewan was the pick.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
FRO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather put Matthews at RT than LG. He is so good in space and on the edge. I think you don't fully utilize his athleticism on the inside in the box.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRO wrote:
I would rather put Matthews at RT than LG. He is so good in space and on the edge. I think you don't fully utilize his athleticism on the inside in the box.

I completely agree, but Im just saying at least he has the ability to play OG, whereas Lewan is stuck at OT.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
FRO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
FRO wrote:

I completely agree, but Im just saying at least he has the ability to play OG, whereas Lewan is stuck at OT.

I agree with that.

I think we should get our LG in the second. Great prospects like Su'a-Filo, Yankey, and Jackson would give us a very good LG options for years to come.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRO wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:
FRO wrote:

I agree with that.

I think we should get our LG in the second. Great prospects like Su'a-Filo, Yankey, and Jackson would give us a very good LG options for years to come.

Also all good with that. Robinson is my guy, but I would never be mad at Matthews playing RT and one of those guys at LG.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
Jachue Jones

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Clowney is there at #2, which he wont be, you take him no doubt. Since he'll be gone you obviously attempt a trade, if not that it has to be Matthews or Robinson.

If we cant trade or get Clowney it'll suck. Matthews or Robinson will fall to 6 or 7. An OL at #2 will be a great pick for us for need, but not great value (in terms of the players in this draft) IMO.

BPA > Need always, even if it is a QB.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jachue Jones wrote:
If Clowney is there at #2, which he wont be, you take him no doubt. Since he'll be gone you obviously attempt a trade, if not that it has to be Matthews or Robinson.

If we cant trade or get Clowney it'll suck. Matthews or Robinson will fall to 6 or 7. An OL at #2 will be a great pick for us for need, but not great value (in terms of the players in this draft) IMO.

BPA > Need always, even if it is a QB.

But he will be there sooo

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: