Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Convince Me Otherwise
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> 2015 NFL Mock Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Convince Me Otherwise Reply with quote

Mock Draft

Round 1

Houston Texans select Blake Bortles, QB, UCF
-I’ve been steadfast throughout that draft prospects that the Texans were favoring Clowney in this spot, until today. The speculation started with Bill O’Brien’s hiring. Touted as a quarterback whisperer, he was surely brought in to groom whichever signal caller was set to replace the maligned (and now estranged) Matt Schaub. The hiring of George Godsey as quarterbacks coach should of tipped me off considering he occupied the same position at UCF. The final nail in the coffin came today, when the team officially decided to move on with Matt Schaub. I was one of the few who thought O’Brien could rehabilitate Schaub into a respectable passer in this league again. Apparently, Texans GM, Rick Smith, and coach O’Brien didn’t feel the same way. There are just too many undeniable links that tie Bortles to UCF at this point. While I don’t think Bortles is the number one guy in this draft (or even at his position) in terms of talent, I think his best chance of achieving his ceiling is with O’Brien and the Texans.

TRADE: Atlanta Falcons select Jadaveon Clowney, DL/LB, South Carolina
-Similarly to how Houston has been tied to Bortles throughout this offseason, the bread crumbs lead to Altanta making a move for Clowney if he becomes available at two. Not only is Thomas Dimitroff not shy about moving up for a top prospect (Julio, anyone?) but he also is familiar with former Falcon’s scout and current Ram’s GM, Les Snead. To top it off, Clowney himself admitted to ESPN that Atlanta would trade up for him. Your wish, is my command, Jadaveon. Clowney would be a steal at anywhere except number one (and he’d arguably be a steal there). I find his talent exceptional and I don’t believe his tape is as damning as some are declaring. He is a game-changing force of defense.

Jacksonville Jaguars select Khalil Mack, DL/LB, Buffalo
-Pretty much the rest of these picks come with a bit less assuredness than the ones at one and two—including this one. Mack has been paraded as the “sleeper” pick to go as high as number one overall. While I don’t prescribe to that ideology, his tape is undeniable. Mack is a defensive force who can play just about any linebacking spot and defensive end if needed. That kind of versatility and ability would have a defensive coach, like Gus Bradley, salivating.

Cleveland Browns select Sammy Watkins, R, Clemson
-Of all the top 10 picks (even the trades), this pick is the one I’m the least confident about. Ray Farmer’s comments make it seem like quarterback is not being targeted with this pick. I also this part of the draft puts them in an awkward spot where it wouldn’t be equally hard and ill-advised to trade back from. Watkins would make for a lethal receiving corps between himself an Josh Gordon. And although three’s no indication that the Browns are interesting in a receiver this early in the draft, the next “best” non-quarterback prospect is arguably the two premier tackles: Greg Robinson and Jake Matthews. I don’t think the team is ready to make that kind of investment on a position of strength. Watkins fits here almost by default.

TRADE: Detroit Lions select Mike Evans, R, Texas A&M
-The Lions are an intriguing team, considering where I thought they’d be mid-season last year, and where they ended up in this draft. There’s no doubting the talent on offense (which got better with the signing of Golden Tate), the team can make a huge splash with a viable number two across from Calvin Johnson. Rumors are about that the team is enamored with Sammy Watkins, and with him potentially off the board, Evans makes sense here. The trade would leap-frog four potential suitors (five if you count Oakland) that would entertain Evan’s services. I consider Evans as being every bit the prospect Watkins is, and he’d be a day-one boon to an already potent offense.

St. Louis Rams (f/ATL) select Greg Robinson, OL, Auburn
-Les Snead, Jeff Fisher, and the Rams have played the draft like a fiddle in the past few years. Compiling picks high in the draft wouldn’t mean anything if you can’t hit on players (Browns, ahem), and they’ve proven they can. Robinson is arguably a top five player in this draft so getting him at six is a borderline steal. Yes, it may not be the biggest need with the return of Saffold, but his best place would be at guard. Also, the team must consider Jake Long’s health issues, which compromised their investment in Sam Bradford.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
-Finally, a quarterback off the board! Even though Bucs’ coach Lovie Smith expressed that recent signing, Josh McCown, is his “guy,” he also said he wouldn’t rule out drafting a quarterback with the number seven pick. Bridgewater is clearly the best signal caller in this draft, so getting him at seven would be a major steal here. The pick would be mutually beneficial, too, considering Bridgewater would have a ready-to-win roster to go with his ready-to-win skills.

Minnesota Vikings select Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
-How’s this for off the beaten path. The Vikings don’t need a tight-end, but Ebron would immediately make the offense more dangerous. I trust that Norv Turner can come up with some creative sets with Ebron and Rudolph no matter who is under center for the team next season. This isn’t to say they won’t address the quarterback position early in this draft (that comes soon), but I believe Vikings GM, Rick Spielman, may be a little gun-shy about drafting a guy this early who hasn’t answered if he’s a first round guy on film (see: Christian Ponder).

Buffalo Bills select Jake Matthews, OL, Texas A&M
-I, personally, consider Jake Matthews as this draft’s best tackle as he was the best player of an elite contingent that kept Manziel clean. The Bills should consider Matthews despite having a respectable left tackle already in Cordy Glenn. Matthews could step in, day-one, to left, while Glenn can either overtake the average Pears at right, or even address a bigger need at left guard--his natural position. Perfect match.

Oakland Raiders (f/DET) select Aaron Donald, DL, Pittsburgh
-The Raiders have been active participants in free agency. The team underwent wholesale changes at the hands of third year GM, Reggie McKenzie. Although he addressed just about every position of need (read: all), one was left conspicuously absent, the defensive interior line. Aaron Donald shows the kind of aggressiveness and ability give quarterbacks fits around the league. If the Raiders are motivated to win now--and all indications are that they are--they'll want to get a guy who can disrupt Peyton Manning's offense that terrorized the AFC West last year.

Tennessee Titans select Anthony Barr, DL/LB, UCLA
-Barr was once considered as a player who had every bit the defensive prowess of Khalil Mack. Though it's doubtful that his stock truly "dropped," he suffers the misfortune of being in a draft wrought with talent at the top of the first round. The Titans and new defensive coordinator, Ray Horton, will need a pass rushing edge-rusher as the team transitions to an attacking 3-4 defensive alignment. Barr may not posses the versatility that Mack does, he does fit very well as a ear-pinned pass rusher.

TRADE: Dallas Cowboys (f/NYG) select Louis Nix, DL, Notre Dame
-While the media indulges in Jerry Jone's use of a flip-phone at last year's Arizona State versus Notre Dame game, pundits may want to pay more attention to the main reason why he was there--to play GM. Nix is arguably the draft's best defensive tackle, and if he's not, he definitely commands the most attention from guards and centers. Weighing in at a scale crushing 342 lbs. and displaying impressive quickness for that size, Nix is exactly the type of defensive lineman that Cowboys need as they reimagine their front. Jones has shown he will liberally trade up to get the player he wants (see: Claiborne), especially with the threat of Pittsburgh and Chicago potentially being in the market for Nix' services.

St. Louis Rams select Justin Gilbert, DB, Oklahoma State
-Two top 15 picks in the top ten is quite a feat, but getting two players arguably at the top of their respective positions is even more impressive. With the departure of Finnegan (which was probably inconsequential to this pick), the Rams will need a proper number one corner to line up opposite Janoris Jenkins. Gilbert fits the mold of a physical defensive back that Jeff Fisher covets.

Chicago Bears select HaSean Clinton-Dix, DB, Alabama
-It was uncomfortable to see the role reversal the Bears endured last year. While the offense enjoyed very good production and emerging stars, the defense succumbed to injury, age, inexperience, and straight up bad play. While a defensive tackle like Nix would be ideal to clog up a pours interior front (moving Houstin inside could help), Clinton-Dix is the best defender available and would address the second-most need at safety. He and Mundy would be a nice start to reversing the fortune of a forgettable 2013 for the unit.

Pittsburgh Steelers select Darqueze Dennard, DB, Michigan State
-Although Kevin Colbert isn't as bullish as I am regarding this draft based on it's "inexperience," he may find solace in draft senior defensive back, Darqueze Dennard. The experienced starter has proven his merit both on the field and in the pre-draft process as he continues to dominate field drills and testing. Dennard would be a good first step in addressing an aging secondary.

New York Giants (f/DAL) select Taylor Lewan, OL, Michigan
-The Giants have been active in acquiring starter level talent in free-agency. A clear weakness last year has been the offensive line, as Eli Manning showed he isn't the same player when he isn't protected like he should be. Although legal issues form his past have resurfaced in recent indictments, Lewan remains one of the best talents in this draft. I don't think Giant's GM, Jerry Reese, and coach Coughlin, will be scared off by what will be no worse than misdemeanor chargers (though they suggest serious character concerns).

Baltimore Ravens select Zach Martin, OL, Notre Dame
-The Ravens seemed on the brink of a rebuilding project as they were able to resign Monroe and land Steve Smith this offseason. The team still has holes to address and I imagine that GM, Ozzie Newsome, stays true to his best-player-available approach and picks exactly that in Zach Martin (no, I don't have insider information on the Raven's big board). Martin is a versatile offensive lineman that is suited to plug the holes that may emerge along the Raven's offensive line next season, though if all goes as planned, I imagine he'll play right tackle.

New York Jets select Brandin Cooks, R, Oregon State
-If there's one thing that rings true when looking at the talent in this draft, it's that quality talent at receiver is abundant. Cooks has been a guy who's seen a surge in popularity in mock drafts around the web. The Jets have taken noticed as well, as he compares favorably to last year's receiver darling, Tavon Austin. Cooks fits well within Jets offensive coordinator, Marty Mornhinweg's, pass happy offense. Cooks shows absurd quickness that is akin to an NFL player of another position, Darren Sproles.

Miami Dolphins select C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama
-Despite Miami's tumultuous offseason, they seem to have come out the other side with a string of nice signings. Even with the acquisition of Brandon Albert, the team would ideally want to address the opposite side of the offensive line here, there is no tackle I believe would be realistically considered here. The team's resigning of guard John Jerry and acquisition of Shelley Smith suggest a starting caliber interior lineman, like UCLA's Xavier Su'a-Filo, would fit here, either. The team may want to, instead, face the previous regimes underperforming duo of Philip Wheeler and Dannell Ellerbe. Although Mosley has faced some pre-draft scrutiny regarding his health, he was arguably Alabama's best defensive player the past two seasons there.

Arizona Cardinals select Dee Ford, DL/LB, Auburn
-Bruce Arians and the Cardinals surprised just about everyone with a 10-6 finish. The team owed lots of it's success to veteran talent (Palmer, Fitzgerald, Campbell, Dockett, Abraham, etc.) and will need to build upon their established young players. Ford mouthed off a bit when comparing himself to Jadaveon Clowney during the combine, but there's some substance behind his words. Ford would fit right into the Cardinals scheme and should find a place as a rusher on passing downs early on.

TRADE: Oakland Raiders (f/GB) select Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
-The Raiders sent a revealing convoy to Derek Carr's pro day yesterday. The GM, head coach, offensive coordinator, and quarterbacks coach were all present for Carr's showcase. By all accounts, he impressed, though he still does have a number of questions that only game experience can answer. The Raiders are prepared to move into the 2013-14 season whether or not Carr proves ready to start day one (even though I believe Schaub may be the starter no matter what). If McKenzie has his way, he'll have Carr sit much like Rodgers did, then unleash him when he's ripened and ready.

Philadelphia Eagles select Timmy Jernigan, DL, Florida State
-Although the Eagles surged into the second half of the season with a vastly improve defense, they were able to play well in spite of some obvious shortcomings. Aside from spotty defensive backfield play (that has been somewhat addressed in the offseason), the team lacked the interior pass rush to put fear into opposing quarterback's eyes. Jernigan is a capable five-technique able to be a disrupter in both the run and pass game.

Kansas City Chiefs select Odell Beckham, R, LSU
-Alex Smith did an admirable job as the unquestioned starter last season for the Chiefs. What's more impressive is the lack of targets he threw to to get his production. Dwayne Bowe is a nice target, but hardly the type of player that alters the dynamic of the passing game on a play-by-play basis. Luck for coach Andy Reid, because he'll likely have an impressive roster of available receiver to choose from come May. Beckham is perhaps of the available lot in this scenario, in my opinion. He displays the type of precision route-running and overall play-making ability (also in the return game) that is needed with the departure of Dexter McCluster.

Cincinnati Bengals select Kyle Fuller, DB, Virginia Tech
-The Bengals are perhaps the toughest team for me to project. They have a well formed roster and can go in a number of different directions. Cornerback is one of their most pressing needs, and Fuller is a good player who has raised eye brows throughout the process, but I'm not convinced that owner Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis wouldn't want to make a more impactful pick. Either way, this pick will continue to confound me until the Bengals turn in their cards on May 8th.

San Diego Chargers select Kony Ealy, DL/LB, Mizzouri
-The Chargers were (ironically) able to overcome a roster that is relatively talent poor, and turned in a playoff season with a win in the dance for good measure. Unlike the team they beat in the playoffs, the Bengals, they can go a number of different ways here not because of a lack of apparent holes, but because they have so many. Perhaps the most important thing for the team to do is aim their sights directly at Peyton Manning. I'm of the mindset that Kony Ealy--predominately a 4-3 end at Missouri--can stand up and make an impact early in his career as a pass rusher. Hopefully the Chargers can get back a healthy Melvin Ingram and a revitalized Dwight Freeney to pair with the newcomer.

Cleveland Browns select Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois
-So the Browns do get their guy, and I suspect it's not who many expect. While I think their ideal choice would be Carr at the is spot, I have the Raiders sniping him from their grasps. Garoppolo is a healthy fall back. He displays a quick release and the eye manipulation that exemplify his uncanny maturity as a quarterback from an FBS school. There will likely be two competent veterans in front of him that he can learn form and participate in healthy competition with.

New Orleans Saints select Marcus Smith, DL/LB, Louisville
-Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan achieved a fairly impressive feat least season but drastically improving the historically bad Saints defense of two seasons ago. The most impressive part about his job and that he lacked the personnel that would normally fit his 3-4 shame. Louisville's Smith is an immense talent that would land in an ideal spot for his skills if picked here. Based on his ability as a natural pass rusher and teams playing catchup with Drew Brees and co., he'd be a smart pick for defensive rookie of the year.

Carolina Panthers select Kelvin Benjamin, R, Florida State
-Panthers GM, Dave Gettleman, drew a lot of ire from juvenile fans when he decided to let Steve Smith go. Thinking rationally, and it isn't hard to blame him for being preemptive and keeping his team young and talented. Benjamin showed his dominance in college football by imposing his 6'5" 240 lbs. frame upon collegiate defensive backs. Cam Newton has never had a receiver that uses his body and size quite like Benjamin does, and it could prove to be dangerous combination for years to come.

New England Patriots select Xavier Su’a-Filo, OL, UCLA
-New England have been active participants in free agency this year. Although they aggressively approached revamping their defensive backfield, we shouldn't forget how tough it was to watch the offense as they struggled to gain traction early in the season. The best course of action may be for the team to address protecting Brady, and Xavier Su'a-Filo is just about as good as it can get at this point in the draft. It should be noted that Belichik isn't shy (and perhaps also most successful. See: Mankins, Solder) to address offensive line with his first pick.

San Francisco 49ers select Jason Verrett, DB, Ohio State
-Offseason rhetoric about the 49ers has been mostly about 4" and Harbaugh rumors. As the free agency muck clears, the 49ers have a gaping hole and cornerback(s). Chris Cook didn't cut it for Minnesota and he likely won't for San Francisco. Verrett isn't a guy I imagine will be impactful day-one, but the team has pretty much forced themselves into this position.

Denver Broncos select Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State
-The Super Bowl runner-ups have been aggressively addressing their defense this offseason in free agency, and I expect that trend to continue in the draft. Namely, the one area in free agency that the Broncos haven't addressed (yet) is linebacker. Shazier is an athletic phenomenon only a pro day like Ohio State's can produce (I kid, UCLA's can too). Truthfully, Shazier is a capable, sideline-to-sideline, linebacker who fits well within what should be an intriguing Bronco defensive mash-up.

Seattle Seahawks select Marqise Lee, R, USC
-A season ago, Lee may have been regarded as a potential top ten pick, much like Watkins in now. In this receiver heavy draft, it may be tough for him to remain a first round pick, let alone top ten. Coach Pete Caroll is familiar with Lee and should be able to capitalize on what should be a massive chip on his shoulder after seeing receiver after receiver get picked ahead of him.

Last edited by Rich7sena on Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 5th corner in the first round? eh.

Thanks Kilty
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Was the dog eating the child?
JPeezy55

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nailed it for the Steelers

Welcome to Sixburgh.
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
A 5th corner in the first round? eh.

EDIT: I forgot to put in Jernigan. I project him to the Eagles (so 4 CBs in round 1).

Okay, not convince me Laughing .
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im happy

new sig... sorry alex
Kiltman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the package the Raiders sent to GB?
Only reason I ask is I'm sure the Eagles would also be willing to trade down.

I don't think it's impossible we take a 3-4 end/DL like Jernigan....if he's BPA to them , but I think it's farthest from a need standpoint you can go on our defense.

We need pass rush from our OLBs, a true Nose, another safety, and all the other positions are not settled long term really.
Fletcher Cox and Cedric Thornton are perfectly good starters going forward and they are both very young.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiltman wrote:
What's the package the Raiders sent to GB?
Only reason I ask is I'm sure the Eagles would also be willing to trade down.

I don't think it's impossible we take a 3-4 end/DL like Jernigan....if he's BPA to them , but I think it's farthest from a need standpoint you can go on our defense.

We need pass rush from our OLBs, a true Nose, another safety, and all the other positions are not settled long term really.
Fletcher Cox and Cedric Thornton are perfectly good starters going forward and they are both very young.

Haven't figured that out yet, but I think McKenzie's Green Bay ties may facilitate things more easily between the Raiders and Packers.
AQuintus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say there's very, very little chance that the Vikings take a TE at all in this draft with Rudolph, Rhett Ellison, and Chase Ford already on the roster.

There's absolutely ZERO chance that they take a TE in the 1st, let alone in the top 10.

The pick in this case, assuming no trade down, would likely either be Carr or Gilbert.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont get me wrong, I really like Mack but he is my #3 guy and #1 is Teddy who you have use passing on. So id much rather have Teddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Dont get me wrong, I really like Mack but he is my #3 guy and #1 is Teddy who you have use passing on. So id much rather have Teddy

Based on what you've been hearing, do you think the Jaguars covet Teddy with the first pick?
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AQuintus wrote:
I'd say there's very, very little chance that the Vikings take a TE at all in this draft with Rudolph, Rhett Ellison, and Chase Ford already on the roster.

There's absolutely ZERO chance that they take a TE in the 1st, let alone in the top 10.

The pick in this case, assuming no trade down, would likely either be Carr or Gilbert.

I figured Vikings fans would take issue with this pick. I have a strong sense that Spielman will take an impact offensive player in the first (and not potentially reach for a QB). Also, I'm not totally prescribed to the thought that Ponder won't be given another shot to succeed there (although I do see a quarterback being taken in the first 2 rounds). I do not see a viable trade down situation in this scenario.
TheMachONE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good pick for the cards

[quote="Childish Gambino"]Funny the day you born that's really your death sentence[/quote]
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for the Chiefs to go big in round #1, as is Ried's history. There is plenty of WR depth for day 2 and 3. OG or DE.

J

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Matthews would likely start at RT but good pick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnesota Vikings select Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina

At first I was completely against it, but after reading your explanation I find it an interesting selection. I'd still rather them address more pressing needs, but you never know.

Edit: Shakes tiny fist at Tampa. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> 2015 NFL Mock Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: