Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bengals Sign Newhouse
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Bengals Sign Newhouse Reply with quote

Saw on twitter

personally not a fan

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
DatDudeKB3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm good with it if he's our new swing tackle. Graded out as the 5th best pass blocking OT by PFF in 2012.

If the plan is to have him at OG, I'm not very happy. He was BAD as a OG.

They must have liked him during the meeting though, and I trust the organization.
Macc_Aviv

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packers fan here. Newhouse is at his best at Left Tackle. He's not good enough to be a starting left tackle. He looks lost at pretty much every other position on the O-Line. Was awful in his right tackle reps this year. Better at pass blocking than run blocking. Supposedly a high-character player, but he's as soft as they come.
DatDudeKB3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macc_Aviv wrote:
Packers fan here. Newhouse is at his best at Left Tackle. He's not good enough to be a starting left tackle. He looks lost at pretty much every other position on the O-Line. Was awful in his right tackle reps this year. Better at pass blocking than run blocking. Supposedly a high-character player, but he's as soft as they come.

Thanks for the insight Macc.
sparky151

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an ok signing. Probably a short term deal for minimal pay. We need some insurance in case Whitworth is hurt or has to play LG. Boling and Hawkinson were LTs in college but haven't shown any signs of the necessary quickness. Newhouse will probably offset Ghee in the comp pick calculations.
Willink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DatDudeKB3 wrote:
Macc_Aviv wrote:

Thanks for the insight Macc.

Yeh he's a decent swing/rotational guy who can give you reps at LT in the case of injury, but not a strong guy and better suited as a pass protector. Will get bullied by power rushers and doesn't contribute much in terms of run blocking.

Seems like a nice guy so hope he works out well for you, but kind of a disappointment based on the reps he got here.

Quote:
If I have not lost my mind I can sometimes hear it preparing to defect
DatDudeKB3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky151 wrote:
It's an ok signing. Probably a short term deal for minimal pay. We need some insurance in case Whitworth is hurt or has to play LG. Boling and Hawkinson were LTs in college but haven't shown any signs of the necessary quickness. Newhouse will probably offset Ghee in the comp pick calculations.

Yeah, nothing to get excited about, but nothing to be upset over either. It's an alright depth move.

Let's see what he can do in camp.
DatDudeKB3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And even if he did have a bad 2013, nothing wrong with bringing in camp competition. Especially a guy with starting experience.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others have said, fringe roster spot guy. He is a guy who can lose you a game in a hurry, he doesn't really have the feet for LT, cant handle the speed rushers on the outside. His effort/passion grade will make you steaming mad. Dude has reps out there where he wont even get his hands on the rusher! That drives me nuts. It's too bad because I think he is a nice enough guy, but just softer than baby ----. Cheap insurance incase something would go horribly wrong, but you will always want to upgrade him.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
DatDudeKB3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
Like others have said, fringe roster spot guy. He is a guy who can lose you a game in a hurry, he doesn't really have the feet for LT, cant handle the speed rushers on the outside. His effort/passion grade will make you steaming mad. Dude has reps out there where he wont even get his hands on the rusher! That drives me nuts. It's too bad because I think he is a nice enough guy, but just softer than baby ----. Cheap insurance incase something would go horribly wrong, but you will always want to upgrade him.

Thanks for the insight MN.
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was our left tackle practically all of 2011 when Rodgers threw 45 TD's and we went 15-1 with Clifton injured pretty much the entire year.

Average pass protector, sub par run blocker at LT. Can get you out of some games, not a complete liability, could do worse.

Looked horrible at RT this year, gave up some just disgusting sacks and pressures, horrible in the run game too.

Now that I got the PC part out of the way.

Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing

One guy along with MD Jennings who will not be missed in GB. Get us a sweet comp pick out of this and we'll love you forever.

I wouldn't expect more than a 1 year, 1-1.5 million contract though.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
Hokie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFT says he sucks... but he does have experience playing multiple positions for a winning team, so that's something. He adds depth; I'm hoping we still take an offensive lineman early in the draft.

He's young as well, so there's room for him to get better.
DatDudeKB3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie wrote:
PFT says he sucks... but he does have experience playing multiple positions for a winning team, so that's something. He adds depth; I'm hoping we still take an offensive lineman early in the draft.

I'm sure we'll still draft a guy in the first 4 rounds. Doubt Newhouse changes are plans.

Most likely camp competition. If he shows something, great, if not, he gets cut and it's nbd.
theJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre004 wrote:
Get us a sweet comp pick out of this and we'll love you forever.

If you got even a 7th rounder i'd be surprised. Won't be a big contract and he'll likely not play. IMO he's a bubble TC cut in my mind right now.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
sparky151

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie wrote:

PFF had him as the 5th best pass blocking tackle in the league in 2012. The Packers moved him to guard in 2013 and he was one of the worst.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: