Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jrry32 New Scenario Mock Draft - 3/21/14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l3lind golfer wrote:
Give me the first five picks of the draft in this scenario and I'll tell you who we should pick at #6.

Scenario #1
1. Bortles
2. Clowney
3. Bridgewater
4. Watkins
5. Robinson

Or

Scenario #2
1. Bortles
2. Clowney
3. Mack
4. Bridgewater
5. Robinson

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scenario 1, Matthews

Scenario 2, Watkins

1. Marcus Mariota
2. Jameis Winston
3. Brett Hundley
Picked4td

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
l3lind golfer wrote:
Yeah, I don't want a LG with the 6th overall pick. If we want to target a LG we need to take one at #13 or in the 2nd (or later) round.

So no Jonathan Ogden? The extent of your foresight is what position the guy will be playing as a rookie. No, it does not matter that drafting a guy like Matthews would be with the plan that he would eventually play LT(as if that freaking matters). The extent of the strategic planning is where he will be as a rookie.

Yea, that's the problem with most fans. They have no foresight. All about instant gratification. When the reality is that most rookies are not quality starters. They develop into quality starters as they gain more experience. But year after year, fans convince themselves that they must draft player X or player Y and can't draft player Z purely on the basis of current needs and where they currently fit.

And then they are disappointed and angry when player X only offers a minimal impact as a rookie.

Take Robert Quinn, for example, we drafted him when we had a #2 overall pick at LDE coming off a strong year and a veteran RDE coming off a 10.5 sack season. Robert Quinn spent his rookie year as rotational DE, only starting 1 game. What a waste of a pick.

"I'm not using a 1st round pick on a backup DE. We can find one later."

Would those have been your words at the time? Or might it be worth thinking a little further into the future than just the 2014 season?

I doubt that when the Rams FO is "looking into the future" they are planning to need a new LT (or RT) in a year. I'd bet they are hoping Barksdale has another solid year and they lock him up for another 4yrs or so after the season, and that Long comes back from his injury and has another solid 3-4+ years worthy of his contract.

I'm not saying passing on Mathews at 6 if clowney, watkins, and robinson are all gone is the 100% correct decision, but you're stupid if you think the Rams would draft Mathews (or Robinson for that matter) with the thought process of '"yea, he will only play LG for one year then he will be moved to LT/RT." Personally I think it would only be smart to draft Robinson or Mathews if the Rams strongly believe they could be a very good guard for multiple years. Otherwise it would be better to look at someone else or try and trade back and address the LG situation later in the draft
RamPackFan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jrry32 New Scenario Mock Draft - 3/21/14 Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
This is a new scenario that I've been pondering after reviewing film on some players. While the first couple picks are typical of my mock, after that, it changes quite drastically. Some may like, some may not.

Trade
Rams trade:
Pick #2

Falcons trade:
Pick #6
Falcons 2nd(#37)
2015 2nd

Rams trade:
Rams 2nd(#44)

49ers trade:
49ers 2nd(#61)
49ers 3rd(#94)

Rams trade:
Rams 3rd(#75)
Rams 4th(#106)

Patriots trade:
Patriots 2nd(#62)

Analysis: I still think the Falcons make the most sense as a trade partner. I think we'll have a hard time getting that future 1st out of them so we settle for a future 2nd here. We decide to trade down from our mid 2nd with San Francisco who trades up for a CB or WR that has fallen since they have multiple picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. We then trade up from our 3rd with New England for the pick right after the San Francisco pick we acquired.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #6 - Jake Matthews OT/OG/C Texas A&M
Analysis: With Saffold coming back, that's a very large weight lifted. Still, I think Saffold stands a better chance to stay healthy at RG than he does at LT so I'd rather us keep him at RG. Drafting Jake gives us a player that can step in at LT if Long isn't ready(I think he will be) and play LG at a VERY high level if Long is ready. Matthews is incredibly technically sound, smart, and has top notch intangibles. His hand use, natural bend, and punch timing are all what you'd expect from a top tier NFL LT. He's also a great athlete who has underrated strength, excellent balance and impressive coordination. Matthews can play any position on the OL, is a plug and play guy from Day 1, and is a durable player who should have a long career in the NFL.

Round 1 Pick #13 - Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
Analysis: He's a mainstay in my mock drafts for a reason. Donald is a special player at the UT spot in the NFL. His ability to penetrate and disrupt plays is unrivaled in this draft. While undersized at 6'1" 285, Donald has freakish athleticism for a DT and is a technically refined player that plays with a very high motor. He was very arguably the best defensive player in college football in 2013. His hand use, use of leverage, lower body strength, and explosion off the snap make him a lethal pass rusher. He also has the anchor, balance, ability to stack blocks, and lateral agility to be an effective run stopper in the NFL. Donald has the ability to be a Rod Coleman, La'Roi Glover, and dare I say it John Randle type force in the middle of a defense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMmpIKvvnV4

Round 2 Pick #5 - Jimmie Ward FS Northern Illinois
Analysis: Every time you watch Ward play, he flashes. The guy is just all over the field. He always seems to be around the ball. Ward possesses top tier instincts, is a reliable tackler in space, and has the natural cover skills to match-up man to man on the slot WR. He also possesses the range and athleticism to make plays out of center-field as a safety. Him and LaMarcus Joyner are game changers imo at the FS spot. Those two guys are just incredible natural football players. Ward will struggle to get off blocks in the box and isn't the biggest hitter but as a FS in our scheme, that shouldn't be an issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UWCnNiM8wk

Round 2 Pick #29 - Phillip Gaines CB Rice
Analysis: Gaines lit it up at the combine by posting a 4.34 time in the 40, 6.62 3 Cone Drill, and a 4.04 Short Shuttle all at nearly 6'0.5" 193 pounds. His senior season at Rice, Gaines allowed only 13 receptions on 40 targets. Watching his film, I really liked what I saw of Gaines's cover skills. He's fluid mover with quick-twitch athleticism and quick feet. He possesses the loose hips to turn and run with WRs out of press coverage and the long speed to cover just about anyone. He also uses his length well and transitions out of his backpedal effectively. He has the athleticism and cover skills to be an excellent CB in the NFL with improved technique. While watching him, I also noticed that he's a pile watcher that doesn't really play that physically. He doesn't fight off WR blocks well, doesn't play with a lot of strength, and doesn't tackle consistently well. So you have to take the good with the bad, great cover skills but I'd call him soft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY5uFG16O4E

Round 2 Pick #30 - Jared Abbrederis WR Wisconsin
Analysis: This pick might come as a bit of a surprise to some of you but after reviewing Abbrederis's film again, I really like what I saw. He's an INCREDIBLE route runner for a college WR that uses subtle fakes, route stems, changing of speed, and double/triple moves to setup CBs and get them out of position. If there was a record for forcing DBs to turn the wrong direction prior to making your break, making DBs loose their footing, and getting DBs to bite on double moves...I think Abbrederis would have broken the college record. It seemed whenever you watched him, he was selling his routes so well that he just created miles of separation coming out of his breaks. His route running ability might just be better than Keenan Allen's was last year. He sells his routes like a savvy 10 year NFL veteran. Can't wait to see what he does with NFL Coaching. He's a former walk-on QB so he's a really heady guy too and rarely ever drops passes. He also ran a 4.44 40 time at the combine and plays fast on film. The negatives I see in his game are that he's not physically strong and struggles to get off jams at times because of it, lacks bulk(6'1" 195), and isn't great at coming down with contested passes like a Mike Evans is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xHrHJ0EZEo

Round 3 Pick #30 - Charles Sims HB West Virginia
Analysis: With Stacy's tendency to get nicked up and our lack of 3rd down options at HB on the roster, I think Sims would be a nice pick-up here. Sims possesses natural hands out of the back-field(203 receptions in his college career) and runs excellent routes for a HB. He also is a good pass protector. He should, at minimum, earn reps as a 3rd down HB for the Rams. Sims also possesses the speed to take it to the house(4.47 40 at the combine), is a HB with impressive wiggle, and is a decisive runner that does a nice job of getting up-field. He would be a nice lightning combination to Stacy's thunder. Plus, if Stacy does get injured, Sims has the size(6'0" 215) to carry the load for the mean time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_ZLITZeRZ4

Round 5 Pick #13 - Trai Turner OG LSU
Analysis: Turner gives us additional depth on the interior OL. He came out a little too early as a sophomore but he's a 6'3" 310 pound OG despite his young age with very good athleticism for his size and solid power. There's definitely plenty of potential here for a guy like Boudreau to build on. And hopefully, Turner will be able to sit as a rookie and be coached up. Developmental OL pick here with a lot of upside.

Round 6 Pick #12 - Kevin Pierre-Louis OLB Boston College
Analysis: Aggressive, athletic OLB that should be able to contribute to the Rams as a nickel LB and special teamer. KPL had an exceptional combine and an impressive senior season. On tape, he's athletic and instinctive kid that plays a lot more effectively than you'd expect downhill. He's a bit undersized at 6'0" 232 but he's not afraid to throw his body around. Still, he'll struggle disengaging from the blocks of TEs and OLs in the NFL.

Round 7 Pick #11 - Trey Millard FB Oklahoma
Analysis: Millard is a hyper athletic FB from Oklahoma. He can lead block, catch the ball out of the back-field and run with it effectively. He appeared to be well on his way to being a 4th round pick due to his freakish athleticism for a 6'2" 255 pound FB but he tore his ACL during the 2013 season. Still, he has a lot of potential as a weapon and lead blocker in the NFL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnMmWYG0zlw

Round 7 Pick #26 - Tahj Boyd QB Clemson
Analysis: Before someone complains that Boyd won't be here, this is just a name holder pick. We'd more likely draft a QB in this mock with one of our 6th round comp picks which is where we'd select Tahj Boyd or Tom Savage but I didn't feel like dealing with all the comp picks in this mock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1tv-HmWPH8

Projected Starters
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Zac Stacy
FB: Trey Millard
XWR: Jared Abbrederis
ZWR: Tavon Austin
SLWR: Stedman Bailey
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Jake Long
LG: Jake Matthews
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Kendall Langford
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
SLCB: Phillip Gaines
FS: Jimmie Ward
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker

What do you guys think?

worst mock i have ever seen
jjab360

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Jrry32 New Scenario Mock Draft - 3/21/14 Reply with quote

RamPackFan wrote:

You can't just say something like that and then not say why..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked4td wrote:
I doubt that when the Rams FO is "looking into the future" they are planning to need a new LT (or RT) in a year. I'd bet they are hoping Barksdale has another solid year and they lock him up for another 4yrs or so after the season, and that Long comes back from his injury and has another solid 3-4+ years worthy of his contract.

Yea, Long has three years remaining on his contract and there's no guarantee he'll see all three. I highly doubt we bring him back after the contract.

So planning to need a new LT NEXT YEAR? Maybe not. But they'll likely need one in 2016 or 2017.

Quote:
I'm not saying passing on Mathews at 6 if clowney, watkins, and robinson are all gone is the 100% correct decision, but you're stupid if you think the Rams would draft Mathews (or Robinson for that matter) with the thought process of '"yea, he will only play LG for one year then he will be moved to LT/RT." Personally I think it would only be smart to draft Robinson or Mathews if the Rams strongly believe they could be a very good guard for multiple years. Otherwise it would be better to look at someone else or try and trade back and address the LG situation later in the draft

1. I'm a lot of things, stupid isn't one of them. Watch the insults.
2. I never said I think that. I said that they would be drafted with the idea that they're our LT of the future...whether that is in 2 years, 3 years or hell, 4 years.
3. Matthews and Robinson are by far the best LGs in this draft. That would be part of the reason why you take them.

RamPackFan wrote:

Oh you. You flatter me.

l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the problem with trading down to #6, I don't want Jake Matthews. If we trade down we still need to be able to get Watkins.

Watkins or bust.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l3lind golfer wrote:
That's the problem with trading down to #6, I don't want Jake Matthews. If we trade down we still need to be able to get Watkins.

Watkins or bust.

Screw the Watkins or bust garbage. This is one of the deepest WR drafts in a number of years.

Jake Matthews is a stud. I'd take him over Watkins in a heart-beat. I can come up with a better Jake Matthews/WR tandem(either at #13 or in the 2nd or in the 3rd) than a Sammy Watkins/OL tandem.

Jake Matthews/Mike Evans >>>>> Sammy Watkins/Taylor Lewan
Jake Matthews/Jordan Matthews > Sammy Watkins/David Yankey
Jake Matthews/Jared Abbrederis > Sammy Watkins/Joel Bitonio

DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
l3lind golfer wrote:

Watkins or bust.

Screw the Watkins or bust garbage. This is one of the deepest WR drafts in a number of years.

Jake Matthews is a stud. I'd take him over Watkins in a heart-beat. I can come up with a better Jake Matthews/WR tandem(either at #13 or in the 2nd or in the 3rd) than a Sammy Watkins/OL tandem.

I agree with the first one, but not the 2nd or 3rd.

1. Marcus Mariota
2. Jameis Winston
3. Brett Hundley
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
l3lind golfer wrote:

Watkins or bust.

I agree with the first one, but not the 2nd or 3rd.

Your loss. Laughing

Flatlyner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
l3lind golfer wrote:

Watkins or bust.

I agree 100%. Matthews is, IMO, far and away the 2nd best Olineman in the draft, and could be argued he is better today then Robinson. There are lots of WR's that could make an impact on our team up until the 4th round even. Once we are out of the 1st round, there area scant few lineman that would make a solid impact on our team next season.

I'll take a dominate LT over a Dominant WR every day. Throw in the sheer depth of the position in the draft and the relative lack of depth in the LT position, and it makes it that much easier.

This is no slight on Watkins at all, I'm actually a fan.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, screw the whole "Watkins or bust" thing-- I agree with because for me its more...

Clowney/Robinson or bust

1. Marcus Mariota
2. Jameis Winston
3. Brett Hundley
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
Eh, screw the whole "Watkins or bust" thing-- I agree with because for me its more...

Clowney/Robinson or bust

That I could get behind. Probably the 2 top prospects in this draft.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatlyner wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
l3lind golfer wrote:

Watkins or bust.

I agree 100%. Matthews is, IMO, far and away the 2nd best Olineman in the draft, and could be argued he is better today then Robinson. There are lots of WR's that could make an impact on our team up until the 4th round even. Once we are out of the 1st round, there area scant few lineman that would make a solid impact on our team next season.

I'll take a dominate LT over a Dominant WR every day. Throw in the sheer depth of the position in the draft and the relative lack of depth in the LT position, and it makes it that much easier.

This is no slight on Watkins at all, I'm actually a fan.

Agreed.

I have nothing against Watkins. I just believe in value. And this draft is way too deep at WR for the Watkins or bust attitude.

Especially when a top tier OL will make a greater difference imo.

But I do disagree with you and Dee on Robinson. Matthews is the safer pick and the better player right now. He doesn't get nearly enough credit for how talented he is.

People treat the guy like he's some super NFL ready prospect but only has average upside/physical talent. When the reality is that he's a super NFL ready prospect with elite upside and great physical talent.

Deemo55

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watkins is arguably the 2nd best prospect in the draft and the best WR prospect since the elite Green and Jones. I don't why some are so strongly against him at #2 overall.

From all the mocks I've seen and my own personal opinion, if the Rams pass on a OL at 2, it's much more likely Watkins is off the board before either of the tackles. Isn't there a reason for this?

You can't really go wrong with Watkins at 2. He offers so much. Both tackles are elite level also but the Rams biggest need up front is on the interior. There are plenty of good inside guys to be had.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: