Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Antonio Cromartie signed on a one year deal
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Antonio Cromartie signed on a one year deal Reply with quote

Adam Schefter Reporting:

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m
Former Jets CB Antonio Cromartie reached agreement on a one-year deal with the Arizona Cardinals, per ESPN source.
mtdowner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an offseason so far. Can't wait to see what we do in the draft.
Plucky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love the move, 2 interesting things come from this.

first is what do we do with powers? Cut him save 2.75 mil? I still think if Fuller is there at 20 we should draft him

Second, I wan't to see the numbers and how much of a cap hit he is. But in doing so, I suspect we have little to no room to roll over to next year for Larry which pretty muchs means pay cut or bye bye.
mtdowner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plucky wrote:
love the move, 2 interesting things come from this.

first is what do we do with powers? Cut him save 2.75 mil? I still think if Fuller is there at 20 we should draft him

Second, I wan't to see the numbers and how much of a cap hit he is. But in doing so, I suspect we have little to no room to roll over to next year for Larry which pretty muchs means pay cut or bye bye.

I think cutting Powers and drafting a CB is an excellent strategy. Even if it's a mid round guy it gives him an opportunity to play the #4 and ST's in 2014 and if he pans out we won't have to worry about re-signing Cromartie in 2015.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Powers should stay one more year, especially with the uncertainty around Mathieu and the fact Cromartie didn't play well last year. Plus Powers is better suited as a slot CB anyway so I'm expecting his play to improve and be more consistent.
mtdowner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollo14000 wrote:
I think Powers should stay one more year, especially with the uncertainty around Mathieu and the fact Cromartie didn't play well last year. Plus Powers is better suited as a slot CB anyway so I'm expecting his play to improve and be more consistent.

Lot of money for a slot CB.

Plus TM32 (assuming he's healthy) covers the slot in nickel packages. Getting him closer to the football is ideal.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtdowner wrote:
apollo14000 wrote:

Plus TM32 (assuming he's healthy) covers the slot in nickel packages. Getting him closer to the football is ideal.

You're ignoring some pretty big question marks. Cromartie has a lot of talent but didn't play well last year and is recovering from a hip injury. Mathieu is recovering from a pretty bad from multiple ligament tears. There's no guarantee either will stay healthy or play up to their ability next year.
mtdowner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollo14000 wrote:
mtdowner wrote:
apollo14000 wrote:

You're ignoring some pretty big question marks. Cromartie has a lot of talent but didn't play well last year and is recovering from a hip injury. Mathieu is recovering from a pretty bad from multiple ligament tears. There's no guarantee either will stay healthy or play up to their ability next year.

I guess you're right. I just assume they will come back 100% after their injuries. But Cromartie is supposedly already healed up. I'm guessing he checked out pretty nicely with our medical staff. TM32 is a freak who supposedly is in the Cards facility 24/7.

If we're keeping Powers on for insurance reasons, why not just use a draft pick on a CB and save some money?
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bang bang

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtdowner wrote:
apollo14000 wrote:
mtdowner wrote:
apollo14000 wrote:

I guess you're right. I just assume they will come back 100% after their injuries. But Cromartie is supposedly already healed up. I'm guessing he checked out pretty nicely with our medical staff. TM32 is a freak who supposedly is in the Cards facility 24/7.

If we're keeping Powers on for insurance reasons, why not just use a draft pick on a CB and save some money?

Because Powers is a known quantity and I honestly think he'll do much better next year in a reduced role. Plus if we keep him, we won't be forced to take a CB in the draft. As I see it, we only have 1 major need on D right now and that's SS. Impact 3-4 OLB is a pretty big need as well but we have a lot of depth there.
mtdowner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollo14000 wrote:
mtdowner wrote:
apollo14000 wrote:
mtdowner wrote:
apollo14000 wrote:

Because Powers is a known quantity and I honestly think he'll do much better next year in a reduced role. Plus if we keep him, we won't be forced to take a CB in the draft. As I see it, we only have 1 major need on D right now and that's SS. Impact 3-4 OLB is a pretty big need as well but we have a lot of depth there.

Kent Somers says you're right. Powers isn't going anywhere. I lose.

Anyways, we're going to be in excellent position going into the draft. Don't really have to worry about needs. Just draft talent.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtdowner wrote:
apollo14000 wrote:
mtdowner wrote:
apollo14000 wrote:
mtdowner wrote:
apollo14000 wrote:

Anyways, we're going to be in excellent position going into the draft. Don't really have to worry about needs. Just draft talent.

Exactly which is why I love Keim's approach to FA. Fill a lot of needs so you can pick BPA in the draft.
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this signing because it's one year - I have concerns about his hip, but since it's only one year there's no long term risk. This is very much like the Dansby signing - had a position in need with a guy potentially out in the first part of the season and brought in a vet who has previously been a pro-bowl level player hoping to prove himself on a one year deal.

By the way - the fact that Cromartie went to a pro bowl last year is a joke - he was not a pro-bowl level player last season. The fact that he fought through his injury to play is impressive however.

Also I concur about Jerraud Powers - his experience and level of play is definitely worth 2.75M this season with the risk we are assuming at the CB position. That risk includes Cromartie too - even if he checked out well medically, he's had more than one season dealing with hip problems - good to have a solid backup like Powers just in case.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because we haven't cut Powers now doesn't mean we wont later. This could set up for us drafting say, Stanley Jean-Baptiste, a very raw corner to develop for a year at the #4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
Just because we haven't cut Powers now doesn't mean we wont later. This could set up for us drafting say, Stanley Jean-Baptiste, a very raw corner to develop for a year at the #4

True. In any event, if it does happen, it will be after the draft but before June 1st.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: