Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Draft
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Zithers


Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 2152
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: The Draft Reply with quote

There's not a general draft thread so... here we go. This is a list of dudes I know we've talked to, either at the Combine, Senior Bowl, or in private.

QB:
Tahj Boyd - Clemson
Brett Smith - Wyoming
Stephen Morris - Miami
Garrett Gilbert - Southern Methodist

WR:
Marqise Lee - Southern Cal
Brandin Cooks - Oregon St.
Odell Beckham Jr. - Louisiana St.
Jordan Matthews - Vanderbilt
Jarvis Landry - Louisiana St.
Cody Latimer - Indiana
Jared Abbrederis - Wisconsin
Kevin Norwood - Alabama
Corey Brown - Ohio St
Rob Herron - Wyoming

TE:
Eric Ebron - UNC

OT:
Morgan Moses - Virginia Tech
Brandon Thomas - Clemson
Billy Turner - North Dakota St.
Cameron Fleming - Stanford

OG:
Dakota Dozier - Furman

C:
Marcus Martin - Southern Cal

DL:
Justin Ellis - Louisiana Tech

DE:
Kony Ealy - Missouri
Scott Crichton - Oregon St.
Larry Webster - Bloomsburg

LB:
Telvin Smith - Florida St.
Chris Borland - Wisconsin
Adrian Hubbard - Alabama

CB:
Jason Verrett - TCU
Pierre Desir - Lindenwood
Brock Vereen - Minnesota
Ross Cockrell - Duke

S:
HaHa Clinton-Dix - Alabama
Dion Bailey - Southern Cal

Also our head scout guy was at the FSU pro day. Not sure if that means we're taking a really hard look at someone (Benjamin?) but there you have it. And we were at the Ole Miss Pro Day (Moncrief).

Looks like we're all over the place as far as 1st round goes. Ebron, Moses, Verrett are all 1st rounders or maybe 2nd rounders.
_________________


Last edited by Zithers on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:18 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Panthers11


Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 24894
Location: FSU: Go Noles
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign some secondary help, and draft offense, offense, offense.....
_________________

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boondock


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 21259
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
Sign some secondary help, and draft offense, offense, offense.....


Agreed. Secondary help tends to get better with age; I'd rather sign 2-3 vets to fill our secondary than draft guys that are going to take a few years to develop anyways.

OL and WR are our main concerns in the draft this year.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lasus83


Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 1712
Location: Charlotte, NC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
Panthers11 wrote:
Sign some secondary help, and draft offense, offense, offense.....


Agreed. Secondary help tends to get better with age; I'd rather sign 2-3 vets to fill our secondary than draft guys that are going to take a few years to develop anyways.

OL and WR are our main concerns in the draft this year.


agreed.

Maybe some slipping secondary or LB help... but only late late late in the draft.

It would really have to be someone like clowney falling into the 20's for us to think anything besides offensive heavy draft picks for the first 3-5 rounds.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
johnydtarheel


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 4207
Location: Charlotte NC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindenwood CB Pierre Desir worked out today for Panthers per JJones
_________________

Thanks CK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boondock


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 21259
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnydtarheel wrote:
Lindenwood CB Pierre Desir worked out today for Panthers per JJones


He's a good 3rd/4th round draft pick.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zithers


Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 2152
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Sirius XM Jordan Matthews says he's meeting the Panthers.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zithers


Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 2152
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Brandin Cooks!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lasus83


Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 1712
Location: Charlotte, NC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Ellington should be considered if he's there in the 4th... projected as a 3ed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
boondock


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 21259
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasus83 wrote:
Bruce Ellington should be considered if he's there in the 4th... projected as a 3ed.


Spoke to a guy this weekend about Bruce Ellington, he was a USC fan and had some "inside" knowledge of the situation. He told me one of the reasons that he came out early was because he was told by many NFL teams that his draft stock would never get any higher and would be a late 4th or 5th round guy regardless if he came out this year or next. Rather than stay in school, he came out as he did not want to risk major injury and have no career.

I believe he's an athlete more so than anything, sometimes it can be hard to coach up athletes, but I could see him emerging into a 3rd WR or slot guy. I probably wouldn't take him until at least the 5th.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lasus83


Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 1712
Location: Charlotte, NC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
Lasus83 wrote:
Bruce Ellington should be considered if he's there in the 4th... projected as a 3ed.


Spoke to a guy this weekend about Bruce Ellington, he was a USC fan and had some "inside" knowledge of the situation. He told me one of the reasons that he came out early was because he was told by many NFL teams that his draft stock would never get any higher and would be a late 4th or 5th round guy regardless if he came out this year or next. Rather than stay in school, he came out as he did not want to risk major injury and have no career.

I believe he's an athlete more so than anything, sometimes it can be hard to coach up athletes, but I could see him emerging into a 3rd WR or slot guy. I probably wouldn't take him until at least the 5th.


If the WR situation stays the way it is, and we all know that's a big IF (projecting 2+ months out), than we'll be dealing with a lot of un-polished talent (save cotchery, of course).

I watched this guy in college. He can make the big play. He's short, that's the #1 knock on the guy, but he positions his body well, has good lateral quickness and has excellent ability to look the ball into his hands. He won't be there in the 5th, imho.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
boondock


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 21259
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasus83 wrote:
boondock wrote:
Lasus83 wrote:
Bruce Ellington should be considered if he's there in the 4th... projected as a 3ed.


Spoke to a guy this weekend about Bruce Ellington, he was a USC fan and had some "inside" knowledge of the situation. He told me one of the reasons that he came out early was because he was told by many NFL teams that his draft stock would never get any higher and would be a late 4th or 5th round guy regardless if he came out this year or next. Rather than stay in school, he came out as he did not want to risk major injury and have no career.

I believe he's an athlete more so than anything, sometimes it can be hard to coach up athletes, but I could see him emerging into a 3rd WR or slot guy. I probably wouldn't take him until at least the 5th.


If the WR situation stays the way it is, and we all know that's a big IF (projecting 2+ months out), than we'll be dealing with a lot of un-polished talent (save cotchery, of course).

I watched this guy in college. He can make the big play. He's short, that's the #1 knock on the guy, but he positions his body well, has good lateral quickness and has excellent ability to look the ball into his hands. He won't be there in the 5th, imho.


I'm on board with Ellington as a late round pick. I think he's one of those guys that can find a way to get open, but he's not going to dominate anyone.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TROJANPANTHER


Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 1273
Location: NM
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000336039/article/in-the-green-room-with-oregon-state-wr-brandin-cooks?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cb

Reading this article makes me like Brandin Cooks even more. He sounds like the type of person that JR loves, in addition to being a great prospect.
_________________

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toughguy77


Joined: 04 Sep 2009
Posts: 1977
Location: South Cackalack
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TROJANPANTHER wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000336039/article/in-the-green-room-with-oregon-state-wr-brandin-cooks?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cb

Reading this article makes me like Brandin Cooks even more. He sounds like the type of person that JR loves, in addition to being a great prospect.

Great article, could be the next Steve Smith imo, huge shoes to fill though
_________________

*2013 NFC South Champions* Panthers
Gamecocks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Panthers11


Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 24894
Location: FSU: Go Noles
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TROJANPANTHER wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000336039/article/in-the-green-room-with-oregon-state-wr-brandin-cooks?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cb

Reading this article makes me like Brandin Cooks even more. He sounds like the type of person that JR loves, in addition to being a great prospect.


His height just worries me. We need size for Cam.
_________________

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 1 of 35

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group