Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who would you rather have in the middle of our D?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who would you rather have in the middle?
CJ Mosley
37%
 37%  [ 10 ]
Kyle Van Noy
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Ryan Shazier
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
Chris Borland
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Christian Jones
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Shayne Skov
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Yawin Smallwood
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Carl Bradford
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Other prospect
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 27

iLikeDefense

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
Well this thread is going well.

When does it ever not go well Laughing

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ihatepotholes wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Well... Depending on who's there at #31, I would rather wait till the 2nd or 3rd round for a guy like Borland or Smallwood. Being able to partner Smallwood in the 3rd with someone like Timmy Jernigan in the 1st and Marcus Roberson in the 2nd, I would rather that.

Lets draft a Joe Mays 2.0 who can't cover anyone on passing downs Rolling Eyes

out of context too?

Yawin Smallwood is nothing like Joe Mays. I wish you followed college football more that spew garbage like this out.

And Borland isn't? Laughing

Let me dumb it down for you a bit, so you could understand what we meant. The team needs 3 down mlb who can cover TEs and RBs. Neither t-Rex Borland and Smallwood can be effective in coverage. My garbage is more informative than anything you have provided. Very Happy

Borland may struggle some in anything after short yardage coverage but where specifically did you get the idea that Smallwood will struggle that way? He's not the same player as Borland in that regard...

Thanks, Tzimisce
germ-x

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Well... Depending on who's there at #31, I would rather wait till the 2nd or 3rd round for a guy like Borland or Smallwood. Being able to partner Smallwood in the 3rd with someone like Timmy Jernigan in the 1st and Marcus Roberson in the 2nd, I would rather that.

out of context too?

Yawin Smallwood is nothing like Joe Mays. I wish you followed college football more that spew garbage like this out.

Let me dumb it down for you a bit, so you could understand what we meant. The team needs 3 down mlb who can cover TEs and RBs. Neither t-Rex Borland and Smallwood can be effective in coverage. My garbage is more informative than anything you have provided. Very Happy

Borland may struggle some in anything after short yardage coverage but where specifically did you get the idea that Smallwood will struggle that way? He's not the same player as Borland in that regard...

The only thing i can think of is his 40 time of a 5.01. Though, he pulled up lame halfway through and wasn't able to participate in the 40 at his combine because of it. The little i have seen of him he definitely doesn't seem that slow.
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:

out of context too?

The only thing i can think of is his 40 time of a 5.01. Though, he pulled up lame halfway through and wasn't able to participate in the 40 at his combine because of it. The little i have seen of him he definitely doesn't seem that slow.

He's not that slow at all. You can tell Borland is a slower player even by game tape. He's not Alec Ogletree. Smallwood plays faster though, and like you said, he pulled up lame during his 40. I'd say he's a 4.7 guy.

This speed infatuation at MLB is getting excessive. I think it's worth considering Shazier in a LB/SS hybrid role honestly. I'd say that fits him better than MLB.

Thanks, Tzimisce
germ-x

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
germ-x wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:

out of context too?

He's not that slow at all. You can tell Borland is a slower player even by game tape. He's not Alec Ogletree. Smallwood plays faster though, and like you said, he pulled up lame during his 40. I'd say he's a 4.7 guy.

This speed infatuation at MLB is getting excessive. I think it's worth considering Shazier in a LB/SS hybrid role honestly. I'd say that fits him better than MLB.

I think Shazier could be a solid fit for Denver at MLB. But i do agree, i think the entire infatuation with Shazier is primarily built around his 4.37 40. Had the guy ran a 4.6 (which is still a good time for an LB) i don't think these conversations would be happening. As i posted in the draft thread, Danny Trevathan has proven to be a heck of an LB and his measurables are poor nearly all the way around. Based on his measurables, he isn't big, fast, or explosive, yet he is still an every down LB.
ihatepotholes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:

out of context too?

He has even less mobility than Borland, stiff as hell. Saw him play when uconn came to rutgers, he was pretty ineffective until garbage time. There's noway he can cover a RB in the open let along TEs. If Jawan Jamison could run all over him, he has no hope.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
germ-x wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:

out of context too?

I actually love this idea. Hes not a MLB, in my opinion obviously, but can be a good STAR (as some teams call it). Auburn runs a 4-2-5 defense and the "5th safety" is exactly what you're projecting him. He can be a rover. Stay in the box to help in run support and drop back to cover TE's or RB's.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really should find a way to draft Wolverine Justice out of Oregon he's the next Ray Lewis Cool

Props to Joe_Is_The_Best
elliot878

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't studied many prospects at all but i actually went with Christian Jones. The length and athleticism to run with TE's down field should be of big concern to the coaching staff, Jones can do this. Takes sound angles, plays fast, and is highly athletic.

He's played every LB position, as well as DE. I think he'll go higher than people think (top 50).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I watch Mosley he sits and waits too much for me and he also runs himself out of the play quite often. I am concerned he will be average in the league as far as MLBs are concerned. If we take him I hope I am wrong.

Props to Joe_Is_The_Best
thebestever6

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Shaziers range and work ethic. I get what people mean by mike not being his natural position but I like his upside. I think people hype up Mosley way too much. To me he is riskier than Shazier even though mike is his natural position. Alabama players haven't translated to the NFL well for quite some time. The Sec has great competition but, Alabamas d has been so talented the last couple of years it seems to mask players flaws.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: McCray Reply with quote

What about Lerentee McCray? Does he have what it takes? He is as big as a lot of the guys that play MLB in the league.
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: McCray Reply with quote

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
What about Lerentee McCray? Does he have what it takes? He is as big as a lot of the guys that play MLB in the league.

Maybe, but I doubt it. He plays the exact same role as Von does. I don't believe he has ever played MLB.

Thanks, Tzimisce
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: McCray Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:

Maybe, but I doubt it. He plays the exact same role as Von does. I don't believe he has ever played MLB.

Yeah, hes a strongside linebacker. He's much like Nate Irving to be honest. Both are stout in the run game but lack athleticism and instincts to flourish in sideline-to-sideline systems.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-15 years ago, I would have picked Borland hands down. But I don't think he has the length or speed to cover today's tight ends. CJ Mosely is the same size as Woodyard, with a similar injury history, and will have the same problems holding up at MIKE that WW did. Shazier would be playing out of position, and seems too lanky to play MIKE. Honestly, I'm not sure if this year's draft has anybody that is "the guy" that we can just plug in and expect to make an immediate impact in the middle. Can we just trade our first 2 or 3 picks for Kuechly? Lol.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: