Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who would you rather have in the middle of our D?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who would you rather have in the middle?
CJ Mosley
37%
 37%  [ 10 ]
Kyle Van Noy
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Ryan Shazier
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
Chris Borland
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Christian Jones
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Shayne Skov
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Yawin Smallwood
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Carl Bradford
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Other prospect
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 27

broncos67

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
You can teach a LB how to play the run, you can't teach him how to cover properly.

Think about it, Shazier is the PERFECT middle linebacker for the Denver Broncos. Even if he isn't ready to be that run stuffer in year 1, we can go find another Keith Brooking or Paris Lenon, those guys are a dime a dozen, but he will be a fantastic cover linebacker on third down. I believe he is a day one three down man though, given that Kuechly was a top 10 pick we may need to trade a lot to get Shazier.

But I thought Denver was only drafting impact starters with their first rounder? Which is it, because it can't be both. What you described above is not an impact starter, it's a situational player, and frankly if we're going to draft a situational LB it should be Kyle Van Noy.

Thanks, Tzimisce
paul-mac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our main defense is nickel so your argument is invalid
broncos67

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:

No, our main defense is a 4-3. We play nickel a fair amount, but we also play hybrid 4-3 and 3-4 looks.

Thanks, Tzimisce
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ihatepotholes wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Well... Depending on who's there at #31, I would rather wait till the 2nd or 3rd round for a guy like Borland or Smallwood. Being able to partner Smallwood in the 3rd with someone like Timmy Jernigan in the 1st and Marcus Roberson in the 2nd, I would rather that.

Lets draft a Joe Mays 2.0 who can't cover anyone on passing downs Rolling Eyes

out of context too?

Have to agree with this. We have to guess that the Broncos are going to be playing from a lead most of the time, and with more and more teams have a quality receiving TE and RB's coming out of the backfield, it would be nice to have a 4.3 Linebacker to keep up with those guys. Hell, at 4.3, he can cover a WR.

Plus, consider this. There are more and more mobile quarterbacks in the lead and 4.3 speed should be able to take down that quarterback looking to move out of the pocket...I mean, they would have to get passed Von first, but if they do...SHAZIER takes that fool out.
Winder23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like Preston Brown from Louisville. Has great shed and tackle ability. In my opinion he is the best 4-3 MLB candidate in this draft.

It remains to be seen if he can drop and cover, but he did show good awareness and burst in underneath coverage. He rarely let's someone get by him. Good tackler and makes plays in the backfield.
BullsandBroncos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sexy pick is Moseley, but I think Shazier would perform the best.

I think he'll be a Wesley Woodyard who's better against the run.

With Knighton and Vickerson/Williams in front of him, I think he'll have enough protection in front of him as well.

I'm right about LeBron regressing. Blasphemy to suggest his stats wouldn't improve & was a worse defender. My prediction that turned out true.
I think you're schizophrenic. Seek help.
howie102

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:

Good god man, who are you to say that someone's arguement is invalid? Especially after you've come out with a statement of the "You can teach a LB how to play the run, you can't teach him how to cover properly." ilk. Who are you to say what our coaches can and cannot coach?

D's clearly have to be versatile now. You can't just go with a player because we play a certain look some of the time.

To my mind, we need someone to take charge in the middle, someone who can handle leadership duties. I don't follow college football particularly closely, but a kid who has the necessary intangibles to take on the responsibility. Obviously one who can cover next-gen TEs would be nice, but they don't grow on trees.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ihatepotholes wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Well... Depending on who's there at #31, I would rather wait till the 2nd or 3rd round for a guy like Borland or Smallwood. Being able to partner Smallwood in the 3rd with someone like Timmy Jernigan in the 1st and Marcus Roberson in the 2nd, I would rather that.

out of context too?

Yawin Smallwood is nothing like Joe Mays. I wish you followed college football more that spew garbage like this out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:

out of context too?

Yawin Smallwood is nothing like Joe Mays. I wish you followed college football more that spew garbage like this out.

And Borland isn't? Laughing

Let me dumb it down for you a bit, so you could understand what we meant. The team needs 3 down mlb who can cover TEs and RBs. Neither t-Rex Borland and Smallwood can be effective in coverage. My garbage is more informative than anything you have provided. Very Happy
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Let me dumb it down for you a bit, so you could understand what we meant.

I really appreaciate your posts. You show a great ability to accept others ideas and do not in any way hone in on a single issue and continually post about it.

As for our interior, there are just so many directions we could go.

The two main variables are this - Does the Front Office see Nate Irving as a possible solution? If so, do they see him as a 2 down Thumper, a nickle LB or a 3 down guy.

The other variable isnt talked about as much but hear me out; could the Front Office possibly see Duke Ihenacho as an option as our nickle LB? He played well enough last season to remain in our rotation and playing as a nickle LB would maximize his strengths while minimizing his weaknesses. If they do see him as the nickel guy, we may only be targeting a late round Thumper.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

I really appreaciate your posts. You show a great ability to accept others ideas and do not in any way hone in on a single issue and continually post about it.

The two main variables are this - Does the Front Office see Nate Irving as a possible solution? If so, do they see him as a 2 down Thumper, a nickle LB or a 3 down guy.

The other variable isnt talked about as much but hear me out; could the Front Office possibly see Duke Ihenacho as an option as our nickle LB? He played well enough last season to remain in our rotation and playing as a nickle LB would maximize his strengths while minimizing his weaknesses. If they do see him as the nickel guy, we may only be targeting a late round Thumper.

I had actually thought about Ihenacho myself. He's obviously not a starter anymore but I think he can cover TEs and RBs
ihatepotholes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

Thought about it, but nah, other ideas suck. Next.
howie102

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

I had actually thought about Ihenacho myself. He's obviously not a starter anymore but I think he can cover TEs and RBs

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Duke isn't the smoothest of coverage players. Not sure I'd fancy him up against the "next-gen" ilk of TE.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Duke isn't the smoothest of coverage players. Not sure I'd fancy him up against the "next-gen" ilk of TE.

As a Nickel LB, he would mostly either play short/medium zone defense or run with a guy in man for a short period of time (10 yards or so) before giving him up to the FS or SS. He is arguably good enough in coverage to play Nickle LB. Its a whole new position though, so its not a given that he would adapt to the spot.

How many times did we see WW or Danny get stuck on a TE running a deep route? Very few. Duke would (probably) be fine.
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this thread is going well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: