Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What to do about the draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DCRED


Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 3969
Location: USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyler735 wrote:
big44dog wrote:
I doubt they will trade up but I do think they will use either 34 or 66 on a WR with size. Gruden wants himself some weapons, and what better way to make nice nice with your star QB than getting him more weapons. Just makes sense


I really hope we don't trade up. I'd rather keep our picks and take BPA, which in a loaded draft like this should get us some good quality players. That said there are a ton of great WR's, and Gruden will likely draft 1 early, so RG3 should finally have a good set of weapons to work with after this draft/offseason is completed.


Agree 100% with You Sir Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sassan11


Joined: 05 Aug 2010
Posts: 1212
Location: DMV
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyler735 wrote:
big44dog wrote:
I doubt they will trade up but I do think they will use either 34 or 66 on a WR with size. Gruden wants himself some weapons, and what better way to make nice nice with your star QB than getting him more weapons. Just makes sense


I really hope we don't trade up. I'd rather keep our picks and take BPA, which in a loaded draft like this should get us some good quality players. That said there are a ton of great WR's, and Gruden will likely draft 1 early, so RG3 should finally have a good set of weapons to work with after this draft/offseason is completed.


The money, you have to take the money into consideration. That extra year is a big deal. Just look at our situation with Orakpo. If we had to tag him last year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big44dog


Joined: 08 Jan 2009
Posts: 930
Location: New York
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sassan11 wrote:
tyler735 wrote:
big44dog wrote:
I doubt they will trade up but I do think they will use either 34 or 66 on a WR with size. Gruden wants himself some weapons, and what better way to make nice nice with your star QB than getting him more weapons. Just makes sense


I really hope we don't trade up. I'd rather keep our picks and take BPA, which in a loaded draft like this should get us some good quality players. That said there are a ton of great WR's, and Gruden will likely draft 1 early, so RG3 should finally have a good set of weapons to work with after this draft/offseason is completed.


The money, you have to take the money into consideration. That extra year is a big deal. Just look at our situation with Orakpo. If we had to tag him last year.


I'm not crazy about trading up just for an extra year on the deal. Say this WR, we'll call him Ricecake, is a total bust. With the extra year we have to keep him on that much longer. Say Ricecake tears the nfl up day 1, he's a WR, he'll cry for a new deal even though per league rules he can't get one and just become a problem anyway.
Now, if their scared a couple teams in front of them might go WR also, then I see no problem moving up a couple spots. They could always trade down in round 3 and recoup the pick. It won't kill them
_________________
. Mike23md on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 64619
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big44dog wrote:
Sassan11 wrote:
tyler735 wrote:
big44dog wrote:
I doubt they will trade up but I do think they will use either 34 or 66 on a WR with size. Gruden wants himself some weapons, and what better way to make nice nice with your star QB than getting him more weapons. Just makes sense


I really hope we don't trade up. I'd rather keep our picks and take BPA, which in a loaded draft like this should get us some good quality players. That said there are a ton of great WR's, and Gruden will likely draft 1 early, so RG3 should finally have a good set of weapons to work with after this draft/offseason is completed.


The money, you have to take the money into consideration. That extra year is a big deal. Just look at our situation with Orakpo. If we had to tag him last year.


I'm not crazy about trading up just for an extra year on the deal. Say this WR, we'll call him Ricecake, is a total bust. With the extra year we have to keep him on that much longer. Say Ricecake tears the nfl up day 1, he's a WR, he'll cry for a new deal even though per league rules he can't get one and just become a problem anyway.

Now, if their scared a couple teams in front of them might go WR also, then I see no problem moving up a couple spots. They could always trade down in round 3 and recoup the pick. It won't kill them
You don't have to keep the player. The 5th year is a "team option" on first round players.

So, it works out to the teams benefit. If they like a player but don't want him to hit free agency, they can use the 5th year option on his contract.

Players can complain all they want, in the end, they either play or don't get paid.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
zeebs


Joined: 16 Jan 2014
Posts: 843
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

top 3 choices guys?

Who is the best option for the Redskins at #34?

Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois
CJ Mosley, ILB, Alabama
Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood
Haha Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama
Ryan Shazier, ILB, Ohio State
Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State
Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida
Other(Post in comments)

http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/3/21/5531200/redskins-mock-draft-roundup-5-0

For me it would be
!) ha ha
2) cj mosley
3) kelvin benjamin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 20454
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big44dog wrote:
I'm not crazy about trading up just for an extra year on the deal. Say this WR, we'll call him Ricecake, is a total bust. With the extra year we have to keep him on that much longer. Say Ricecake tears the nfl up day 1, he's a WR, he'll cry for a new deal even though per league rules he can't get one and just become a problem anyway.
Now, if their scared a couple teams in front of them might go WR also, then I see no problem moving up a couple spots. They could always trade down in round 3 and recoup the pick. It won't kill them


Ricecake can kvetch to his heart's content, but it won't change the fact that he cannot renegotiate his rookie contract until after his third year in the league. Doesn't matter if he is drafted in the first round or the second or the seventh.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MKnight82


Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 7946
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeebs wrote:
top 3 choices guys?

Who is the best option for the Redskins at #34?

Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois
CJ Mosley, ILB, Alabama
Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood
Haha Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama
Ryan Shazier, ILB, Ohio State
Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State
Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida
Other(Post in comments)

http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/3/21/5531200/redskins-mock-draft-roundup-5-0

For me it would be
!) ha ha
2) cj mosley
3) kelvin benjamin
From that group it would be Clinton-Dix. I don't think he will be there at 34 though. I would prefer Shazier over Moseley simply because Alabama LBers haven't faired well in the NFL lately.
_________________

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 24 tackles, 5 PD, 2 FF, 2 TFL, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 21 catches, 190 rec yards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 20454
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
You don't have to keep the player. The 5th year is a "team option" on first round players.

So, it works out to the teams benefit. If they like a player but don't want him to hit free agency, they can use the 5th year option on his contract.


So, let's take Ryan Kerrigan as an example.

https://www.nflplayers.com/About-us/CBA-Download/

Article 7, Section 7, (a):
Quote:
Exercise Period. A Club has the unilateral right to extend from four years to five years the term of any Rookie Contract of a player selected in the first round of the Draft (the "Fifth-Year Option"). To do so, the Club must give written notice to the player after the final regular season game of the player's third season but prior to May 3 of the following League Year (i.e., year four of the contract).


So, assuming that we exercise Kerrigan's option between now and May 3, we get Kerrigan for an extra year. He cannot fight the option, but he can renegotiate a new contract.

Since he was drafted outside of the top ten, Article, Section 7, (f), i applies:
Quote:
F or any other Drafted Rookie selected in round one, the Paragraph 5 Salary for the player's Fifth-Year Option shall equal an amount that would apply in the fourth League Year of the Rookie Contract if one calculated the Transition Tender for that League Year by using the same methodology as set forth in Article 10, Section 4, but using the applicable third through twenty-fifth highest Salaries (as "Salary" is defined in Article 10) (as opposed to the ten highest Salaries) for players at the position at which the Rookie participated in the most plays during his third League Year. No other Salary (other than the minimum offseason workout per diem and compensation for community relations/sponsor appearances or promotional activities (subject to the maximum amounts permitted in Section 3 (b)(iv) above)) is permitted for the Fifth-Year Option.


The amount is calculated on players right now. Per Spotrac:
Quote:
3 Paul Kruger 7,000,000
4 Tamba Hali 6,250,000
5 Chad Greenway 5,500,000
6 Philip Wheeler 5,000,000
6 Trent Cole 5,000,000
8 Lance Briggs 4,750,000
9 Connor Barwin 4,300,000
10 Ahmad Brooks 4,250,000
11 Erik Walden 4,000,000
12 Kevin Burnett 3,375,000
13 Jerod Mayo 3,250,000
14 Von Miller 3,238,688
15 John Abraham 3,000,000
15 Robert Mathis 3,000,000
17 Sean Weatherspoon 2,831,250
18 LaMarr Woodley 2,500,000
19 Aldon Smith 2,336,454
20 Rey Maualuga 2,250,000
20 DeAndre Levy 2,250,000
22 Russell Allen 1,975,000
23 Manny Lawson 1,800,000
24 Koa Misi 1,725,000
25 Brandon Graham 1,670,500


That gives Kerrigan $3.532M salary for 2015. It's a significant raise in his 2014 salary of $1.562M, but that's significantly cheaper than what the franchise tag would be in 2015. It also means we can tag him 2016 if we need.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 64619
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeebs wrote:
top 3 choices guys?

Who is the best option for the Redskins at #34?

Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois
CJ Mosley, ILB, Alabama
Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood
Haha Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama
Ryan Shazier, ILB, Ohio State
Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State
Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida
Other(Post in comments)

http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/3/21/5531200/redskins-mock-draft-roundup-5-0

For me it would be
!) ha ha
2) cj mosley
3) kelvin benjamin
I'd agree with that. Tough call between Shazier, Mosses & Benjamin though.

The other one I'd throw in there is Hageman or Tuitt. I still wouldn't mind having another young pass rushing 3-4 DE
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group