Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3 surprising prospects who could be in play at pick 27…

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: 3 surprising prospects who could be in play at pick 27… Reply with quote

Don’t be shocked if one of these 3 prospects ends up as the Saints selection at 27…

1. Demarcus Lawrence [DE/OLB; Boise State]

Lawrence is an intriguing pass rusher that is soaring up draft boards right now… heading into the draft process Lawrence was considered a mid-3rd round prospect by most but as more and more teams continue their evaluation on the Boise State pass rusher, the more he stands out. Lawrence possesses a great combination of size, power and quickness and is an underrated athlete. He was misused during his time with the Broncos and in time will prove to be a much better Pro than a college player. Lawrence would convert to the outside linebacker position in Ryan’s defense allowing the Saints DC to utilize Lawrence’s unique skill set to its maximum potential.

NFL Comparison: DeMarcus Ware, Broncos
Like Ware, Lawrence will be a former college defensive end who doesn’t possess great straight line speed but his athletic ability, quickness and ability to get after the quarterback off the edge are elite.

2. Xavier Su’a-Filo [OG; UCLA]

The Saints offense puts a tremendous value in the guard position which is why two of the teams highest paid players currently occupy those two positions but both of those players are getting up in age and at some point the Saints may be forced to make some tough financial decisions with either one or both ot them in the near future. Su’a-Filo is a tremendous athlete at the guard position who possesses the physical tools to be a multi pro-bowler during his career. If the Saints are truly in a position to take the best player available with the 27th pick and with the way they value the guard position… Su’a-Filo has to be in the conversation.

NFL Comparison: Evan Mathis, Eagles
Like Mathis, Su’a-Filo is a tremendous athlete and extremely versatile as he could be a perennial all pro at either guard or the center position.

3. Jimmy Garoppolo [QB; Eastern Illinois]

We’ve all though it once or twice… admit it! Jimmy Garoppolo surely is a Payton favorite but it’s a lot more than simply hailing from the same Alma-Ata, Garoppolo is actually a very talented young quarterback with a very quick release and athletic build whose game translates very well to the next level. Sure his origin likely has a soft spot in the heart of our head coach but that’s no reason to bash the kid if he indeed ends up the Saints pick. With Drew Brees turning 35 this season the window of opportunity is quickly closing on the greatest player in Saints history so don’t expect the Saints to not at least consider the idea of preparing for life after Brees. The orginazation itself also has to make sure that Sean Payton himself is interested in remaining in the Big Easy post Drew Brees and allowing him (if he wants) to hand pick a guy like Garoppolo at 27 would all but ensure that!

NFL Comparison: Aaron Rodgers, Packers
Like Rodgers, Garoppolo possesses a tight quick accurate release and is a much better athlete than given credit for.

Just saying…

WHODAT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
unfsaint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can by into Lawrence. I think that he may be a good fit at SOLB. He looks like he is big enough to anchor the strong side in under sets. Has good pass rush ability. Coverage is a question mark...but Ryan would probably just request that his SOLB drops into shallow zones anyway.

I am a huge Garoppolo. I believe that the Saints will make a play at him in the 1st or 2nd. I don't think that the Saints will want to part with their 1st rounder...as that will be needed to land their top CB on the board. I think that the Saints trade back into the 1st round ala Mark Ingram to snag Garoppolo.

I don't see any possible way that the Saints get an OG. Unless he can play C at a pro bowl level...not going to happen.

~Sir William Osler
Porter22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could live with both Lawrence and Garopolo, would like to trade down though.

For Su'a Filo, can he play C for one year? It seems like, he is playing center on the picture and would fill a need here. we could play him there for one season and then move him to guard next year.

QB Drew Brees - 1,203 YDs ; 7 TD ; 3 INT ; 71.4% Pct

DB Patrick Robinson - 12 Tackles, 3 PDefs, 1 INT
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porter22 wrote:
Could live with both Lawrence and Garopolo, would like to trade down though.

For Su'a Filo, can he play C for one year? It seems like, he is playing center on the picture and would fill a need here. we could play him there for one season and then move him to guard next year.

Su'a-Filo can be a pro-bowler at any interior line position... RG, LG & OC

He's that talented!

QB Connoisseur

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we take Garoppolo in the first round I'm going to be very angry Confused
Harper41

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB Connoisseur wrote:

Why? I'm sure Packers fans were mad about Rodgers...But I'd say that worked out pretty well.

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
QB Connoisseur

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
QB Connoisseur wrote:

Why? I'm sure Packers fans were mad about Rodgers...But I'd say that worked out pretty well.

Jimmy Garoppolo is not Aaron Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers was held in high regards as a prospect, and people were surprised that he fell that far. Jimmy Garoppolo is Christian Ponder from 2011 as far as I'm concerned.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB Connoisseur wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
QB Connoisseur wrote:

Jimmy Garoppolo is not Aaron Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers was held in high regards as a prospect, and people were surprised that he fell that far. Jimmy Garoppolo is Christian Ponder from 2011 as far as I'm concerned.

This is a great debate and your opinion could be a valid one on comparison but I think your underrating Garoppolo's quick release and accuracy. Both of which I feel are far and away better than Ponder coming out of FSU. What hurts Garoppolo is his level of competition in college and had he played at a school like Cal or FSU maybe Garoppolo whould have been held in the same high regard Rodgers was but at the end of the day I really don't think your college program or how scouts regard you coming out of college truly matters. It's your physical talent, work ethic and drive that sets the good ones apart, then fit that makes the good one great.

Harper41

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB Connoisseur wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
QB Connoisseur wrote:

Rodgers was in contention for the top pick but had he gone to a small school, that would've changed. Much like Jimmy. Jimmy has all the makings of a great QB, especially with an offensive guru like Sean Payton.

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
spanky3801

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically what will happen is...
Round 1. Jimmy Garapollo QB Eastern Illinois
Round 2. DeMarcus Lawrence OLB Boise St
Round 3. Keith McGill CB Utah
Round 3. TRADE- 4th and 1st 5th for a spot back in the 3rd. Pick- Jeremy Hill RB LSU
Round 5b. Brandon Coleman WR Rutgers
Round 6. De'Anthony Thomas RB Oregon
MPjeffryred

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do realize that we are just chewing the fat here, but I am against choosing any QB in the early rounds.
We do have other needs that are more important such as C, CB and OLB. If a QB is to be taken in this draft, how about Brett Smith from Wyoming. I think he should be available in the fifth. Besides, some other team may wish for us to trade down into the early second and pick up some picks. Maybe they covet Garoppolo at #27. I also do not see taking a running back in this draft, unless it happens to be a Darren Sproles replacement. We are competent at RB and just extended Thomas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: