Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Mock #13: Post-FA 2 Rounder w/ trades
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> 2015 NFL Mock Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JagsFanInNY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: 2014 Mock #13: Post-FA 2 Rounder w/ trades Reply with quote

ROUND #1
1. HOU: Blake Bortles QB UCF -- I have said it already, but Blake Bortles, based purely on his college career, is not worth the #1 pick in my mind. He is not the best QB in the draft, and that alone makes it hard to put him as the top pick. However, I am actually not opposed to this pick for two reasons. First and foremost, it leaves the possibility of the Jaguars getting the best QB in the draft. Reason #2 is that you draft not only based on how good a player is but rather how good he can be, and Bortles presents a higher upside in my opinion than Teddy Bridgewater with regard to excelling under Bill O'Brien.

***TRADE: New York (G) moves up to #2 overall, in exchange for #12, #43, and 2015 3rd round pick

2. NYG: Jadeveon Clowney DE South Carolina -- I like #2 as a spot to move up for Clowney, and having lost Tuck and JPP being a question mark in terms of health and future performance, I thought it might be interesting to have the Giants make the jump up for the best player in the draft. If JPP returns to form and Clowney becomes the player he can become if he applies himself, this defense will go from bottom of the pack in sack totals to probably a top 3 team every year.
3. JAX: Teddy Bridgewater QB Louisville -- I do not really like to think free agent signings greatly impact draft plans of teams with so many needs, but I think the Jaguars' focus on the defensive line in free agency could slightly sway them to grab Teddy Bridgewater right here, as opposed to a guy like Mack (or even Clowney if he was available). Re-signing Henne and naming him the starter might suggest otherwise, but Henne was the worst starting QB last year and just presents this team a true 'bridge' option should the rookie not be ready to start come Week 1.
4. CLE: Sammy Watkins WR Clemson -- I had this pick as Manziel because of how desperate the team is to get a QB early in the draft. I just did not feel comfortable putting him so high, so I opted to give the Browns the best WR in the class, who paired with Gordon on the outside will make this offense really deadly when/if they find a quality QB to throw the ball.
5. OAK: Mike Evans WR Texas A&M -- I really would prefer to go with an offensive tackle given the value, but I just saw the amount of money Austin Howard was just given by the Raiders, and my jaw dropped. I think they are extremely confident with Howard locking down the RT spot, which means I envision they go forward with Menelik Watson, who I admittedly like, on the left side. I just do not see them taking a tackle. What I could see them doing is grabbing the big and physical WR from Texas A&M to help out this offense.
6. ATL: Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo -- With the signing of Soliai, I think the 3-4 aspects of the defense will be emphasized more moving forward, and that makes Mack a better fit in my mind than Clowney for this defense. Mack is an all around good player, be it as a pass rusher or as a guy dropping into coverage.
7. TB: Eric Ebron TE North Carolina -- I really struggled with this pick because the free agent signings of the Buccaneers left me with either reaching a bunch to fill a major hole or going more with a value pick that does not fill a hole. Having just signed Brandon Myers, TE is not such a pressing need, but the deal is only 2 years and frankly Ebron should be a much better receiving option.
8. MIN: Anthony Barr OLB UCLA -- I definitely think that Barr might project better long term as an OLB in a 3-4 defense, but I think Barr could do extremely well as a SAM in a 4-3, and with Mike Zimmer at the helm in Minnesota, I really like this fit. I am not entirely certain the transition will be entirely smooth, but I think if given time, Barr could turn into a very good player for this defense.
9. BUF: Greg Robinson T Auburn -- With Cordy Glenn seemingly having a chokehold on the blindside, this pick is all about upgrading the right tackle position, and I think as a player, Robinson fits nicely on this offensive line.
10. DET: Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State -- The Lions could use a cornerback, and I think Gilbert is the best one in the class (unless you are looking specifically for a press CB, and I do not know what the intention is moving forward with the new DC).

***TRADE: Cincinnati moves and surrenders a 3rd round picks in both 2014 ( #88 ) and 3rd and 6th rounders.

11. CIN: Jake Matthews T Texas A&M -- With Collins no longer on the team, Whitworth could move back outside, but this offensive line is probably best off keeping him inside and trying to grab a young guy who could be the franchise LT of this team for the next 10+ years.
12. STL: Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State -- Finnegan is out and as of right now no one is in to replace him. Dennard seems like a good fit to fill the hole.
13. STL: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix FS Alabama -- It is not a secret that the Rams could use an upgrade at FS. Grabbing the best one in the class makes sense right here.
14. CHI: Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh -- A safety could be the pick here, but I just think Donald is better than the next best safety (Pryor) and if Melton is not back the hole at DT is greater than it would be otherwise.
15. PIT: C.J. Mosley ILB Alabama -- The way I see things, this draft falls pretty poorly for Pittsburgh from the standpoint of not needing to reach to fill a major need. However, the Steelers could definitely stand to continue strengthening their defense, and ILB is a spot that could definitely stand to be upgraded. Mosley is the best ILB in the class and has the potential to significantly boost the play of the Steelers linebackers.

***TRADE: Carolina jumps up in a deal exchanging first rounders at the additional cost of their 3rd round pick (#92) and a 2015 6th round pick.

16. CAR: Taylor Lewan T Michigan -- The left tackle retired and the right tackle could be upgraded should the right opportunity present itself. With the 3rd best tackle in the class, and final prospect in that top tier of tackles, available here, the Panthers jump up for the talented but 'rough around the edges' Lewan.
17. BAL: Zack Martin G/T Notre Dame -- With Monroe coming back, the need for a left tackle is obviously not really existent, but the RT spot is wide open as it stands and grabbing a talented and versatile lineman like Martin to fill the spot could make a lot of sense.
18. NYJ: Marqise Lee WR USC -- I am not one to strongly buy into pre-draft 'interest' but Lee and the Jets seem like a good match. A tandem of Lee and Decker could go a long way toward helping Geno develop into a better QB.

***TRADE: Minnesota moves up from their second round selection (#40) and gives up their 3rd (#72) and 4th (#104) rounders to do so.

19. MIN: Derek Carr QB Fresno State -- I would not put it past the Cardinals to take a guy like Carr of mold him into the franchise QB they could use. Minnesota (and Cleveland) would possibly know this too and could try to jump up to grab him. In this scenario I went with Minnesota as the team jumping, because of the track record of the GM and the fact that I sense Cleveland still might secretly prefer Manziel, who in my mind would not be coveted by Bruce Arians and so would make it past Arizona.

**TRADE: New England jumps up at the expense of their 4th (#126) and 6th (#190) round picks

20. NE: Ra'Shede Hageman DT Minnesota -- The need to bolster the interior of the defensive line will be further compounded if Wilfork ends up released. Hageman has tremendous upside and could fit extremely well in the Patriot defense.
21. GB: Calvin Pryor FS/SS Louisville -- The safety spots are really pitiful as it stands and adding a talented and versatile player like Pryor should be a step toward fixing that situation.
22. PHI: Dee Ford OLB Auburn -- Both the best player available and a guy who fills a need, the talented and explosive pass rusher fits nicely at this pick.
23. KC: Odell Beckham Jr. WR LSU -- I have not looked into the specifics, but apparently Emmanuel Sanders almost signed with the Chiefs. This only further cements the idea in my mind that the Chiefs will covet a WR like OBJ to slot opposite Dwayne Bowe.
24. TEN: Louis Nix III NT Notre Dame -- Ray Horton would probably like to go into 2014 with a guy he can pencil in to the NT spot. That is where Al Woods can come into play. However, Nix is a gargantuan individual who could be the long term solution at NT for this defense if he gets the proper coaching.
25. SD: Jason Verrett CB TCU -- The Chargers really could use more talent at CB and Verrett while a but undersized is definitely not lacking talent.
26. CLE: Johnny Manziel QB Texas A&M -- The QB of the future is here?
27. NO: Brandin Cooks WR Oregon State -- Both a speed demon and a great route runner, Cooks could greatly help make this offense even more formidable.
28. DAL: Kony Ealy DE Missouri -- By my count Spencer and Ware are out and Jeremy Mincey is in. That speaks to a need at DE, which is where Ealy could fit in nicely.
29. ARI: Xavier Su'a-Filo G UCLA -- This might not be super popular, but other than Jonathan Cooper, who frankly is still a question mark with him coming off the injury, there is not much at G and adding a guy like Su'a-Filo could really help out this offensive line.
30. SF: Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech -- The 49ers need to get better CBs onto this roster and Fuller is borderline first round material. Not a bad idea for the Niners to snatch him up here if they do not move up for one of the top CBs (Dennard/Gilbert)
31. DEN: David Yankey G Stanford -- Beadles is in Jacksonville, and a replacement could be had here in the very talented (although still pretty raw from a pass protection standpoint) guard out of Elway's Alma Mater.
32. SEA: Kelvin Benjamin WR Florida State -- I can't get the idea of a receiver with the size and potential of Benjamin in the Seahawk offense out of my mind.

ROUND #2

1. HOU: Kyle Van Noy LB BYU -- Van Noy is just a good all around LB who could probably fit at any LB spot in a 3-4. He can rush the passer, play the run, and drop into coverage well and should carve a niche in this defense.
2. WAS: Cyrus Kouandjio T Alabama -- The attempt by the Redskins to sign Bruce Campbell makes it fairly obvious to e at least that the right tackle position is very much up for grabs. Kouandjio should come in and lock down the job almost immediately. He is a first round talent who had a bad bowl game and combine. However, he still has shown throughout his collegiate career he can be a very effective football player.
3. CLE: Morgan Moses T Virginia -- While I do think Mitchell Schwartz could stay at right tackle, with the top guards off the board, I think grabbing a player like Moses and then shifting Schwartz inside could be the best move at this point for Cleveland.
4. OAK: Jimmy Garoppolo QB Eastern Illinois -- Outside of Johnny Football, I feel like Garoppolo is the QB I have heard the most mixed reviews about. Some people think he is potentially a late 1st round player. Others won't grab him until the 3rd round. I am more of a fan, although I think the key with him is not rushing him and really trying to improve his game when facing pressure.
5. ATL: Jace Amaro TE Texas Tech -- Do I think the Falcons needs to take a TE so high? Probably not, although it just so happens a TE is the best player available and is a guy who should be able to greatly contribute on offense.
6. TB: Scott Crichton DE Oregon State -- Michael Johnson is a nice add, but the Bucs could still use another pass rush option behind him seeing as Bowers and Clayborn have not really panned out the way people thought they would.

***TRADE: The Jets move up 10 spots in round 2, and as a result surrender a 4th but receive a 7th round pick in return.

7. NYJ: Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE Washington -- With little chance of the 3rd TE in the class falling to their pick, the Jets decide to jump the other suitors and grab another weapon for their young QB.
8. MIA: Gabe Jackson G Mississippi State -- Brandon Albert is a nice addition, but the Dolphins are still far from being done revamping that line. They continue the process by adding the talented guard from Mississippi State.
9. BUF: Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt -- A trio of Matthews/Woods/Johnson would be a very good one to move forward with. E.J. Manuel would definitely be pleased.
10. TEN: Jeremiah Attaochu OLB Georgia Tech -- The defense continues to be the focus as the Titans grab a good pass rusher who should fit nicely in Horton's defense.
11. STL: Antonio Richardson T Tennessee -- If Saffold ends up at G, it is entirely possible the Rams still want to get a tackle early on in the draft.
12. STL: DaVante Adams WR Fresno State -- The Rams hope they just found a true '#1 WR' for their offense.
13. DET: Terrence Brooks FS Florida State -- Delmas is gone and no one on the roster seems like a viable replacement. Brooks on the other hand is a guy who could step in and play at a sufficient level as a rookie.
14. PIT: Bradley Roby CB Ohio State -- The Steelers need to get more talent at CB. Roby is coming off an overall bad 2013, but is a very good player who should help out in Pittsburgh.
15. DAL: Stephon Tuitt DT Notre Dame -- Adding Terrell McClain was a decent move, but there is still a need for more upgrading at DT and Tuitt should end up better than his 2013 season suggests.
16. BAL: Marcus Martin C USC -- The Ravens MUST get a better center soon. Martin has risen as of late and could just prove to be the best center in the class. He should help this offensive line get better.
17. JAX: Ryan Shazier OLB Ohio State -- Pretty far and away the best player available, Shazier should come in and immediately upgrade the level of play at WILL linebacker.
18. MIA: Tre Mason RB Auburn -- This team just cannot seem to find a RB who can be the 'workhorse' of their running game. Mason, at least to me, is the best overall RB and could be just the guy this team needs to lead their rushing attack.
19. CHI: Deone Bucannon SS Washington State -- Pardon me is I do not feel M.D. Jennings and Ryan Mundy are the answers this team so desperately needed at the safety spots.
20. ARI: Trevor Reilly OLB Utah -- A good edge rusher, the only major downside to this guy is his age, but I still see him being young enough that his career can be long enough and productive enough to warrant this selection.
21. GB: Weston Richburg C Colorado State -- Now that Evan Dietrich Smith has left town, the Packers once again need to find a center. It is possible they find one elsewhere, specifically already on the roster, but Richburg is definitely not a bad option if they choose to look in the draft.
22. PHI: Marcus Roberson CB Florida -- Good value right here, Roberson might quickly replace Fletcher or Williams as a starter.
23. CIN: Trent Murphy DE Stanford -- Michael Johnson is gone and the Bengals could look to replace him relatively early in the draft. Murphy is a good player who should be alright transitioning from an OLB in a 3-4 to more of a traditional 4-3 DE.
24. SF: Cyril Richardson G Baylor -- I think the 49ers would be foolish to think they will be able to retain all their guys when they hit free agency. One guy who I think they should kind of expect to part ways with is Mike Iupati who will probably get a lot more money than he actually deserves when he does end up a free agent. Grabbing a guy like Richardson now with the intention of him replacing Iupati would be very smart.
25. SD: Allen Robinson WR Penn State -- I think Robinson could be Keenan Allen 2.0 in that his talent will dictate he should go higher than he will end up going. San Diego could be the lucky beneficiary both times.
26. NO: Jackson Jeffcoat OLB Texas -- The inconsistency of Jeffcoat is frustrating, but if he is on his game, he is a very dynamic player. I think Rob Ryan might be able to tap into the potential and get Jeffcoat playing at a high level as a 'rush LB' in this defense.
27. IND: Lamarcus Joyner CB/FS Florida State -- In my mind, this guy is a poor man's Honey Badger. He is talented and versatile enough to play multiple positions in the secondary.
28. CAR: Jarvis Landry WR LSU -- So the Panthers REALLY need a WR (or two or three) and Landry is a very good one who might fall because of his poor 40 time and the overall talent of the WR class.
29. SF: Donte Moncrief WR Mississippi -- 6'2 with 4.4 speed, Moncrief could be that 'stretch the field vertically' WR this team needs.
30. NE: Troy Niklas TE Notre Dame -- Hernandez is in jail and Gronk seems to never be 100% healthy. This is not a good thing when you consider how much Brady loves his TEs. Hopefully Niklas can be a productive player for Brady and this Patriot offense.
31. DEN: Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska -- Seattle beat Denver in the Super Bowl with a defense that greatly benefited from having 2 big and physical CBs on the outside. Denver could look to copy them with Talib and SJB as the new starters at CB.
32. SEA: Joel Bitonio G/T Nevada -- The Seahawks could stand to find a new LG and RT. Bitonio is good enough and versatile enough to start at either spot.
djw4bucs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ew
Rather have Robinson in the 1st and ASJ or Robinson/Landry

Caaddy24 wrote:
SappDaddyDance wrote:

Huge fan of Brett Smith Part of me thinks this is the potential franchise QB...

lol sorry I had to laugh there
JagsFanInNY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djw4bucs wrote:
Ew
While only 9 of the 30 is guaranteed, the contract handed out to Collins makes me think this team will be more than comfortable moving forward with him and Dotson as the tackles on this team. I agree Robinson is the better value, but I think with the moves to upgrade the OL, there just is not any room for Robinson. As for round 2, I obviously am not going to double up on TE, and both WRs would be much more of a reach than adding the pass rusher in Crichton.
djw4bucs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JagsFanInNY wrote:
djw4bucs wrote:
Ew
While only 9 of the 30 is guaranteed, the contract handed out to Collins makes me think this team will be more than comfortable moving forward with him and Dotson as the tackles on this team. I agree Robinson is the better value, but I think with the moves to upgrade the OL, there just is not any room for Robinson. As for round 2, I obviously am not going to double up on TE, and both WRs would be much more of a reach than adding the pass rusher in Crichton.

We Put him at OG
Collins-Nicks-Smith-Robinson-Dotson

Caaddy24 wrote:
SappDaddyDance wrote:

Huge fan of Brett Smith Part of me thinks this is the potential franchise QB...

lol sorry I had to laugh there
Jachue Jones

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that all it takes to move up from 12 to 2. Bad, just bad.

Haha at 13, no, way to high for him. Other two picks OK but that trade Shocked
JagsFanInNY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djw4bucs wrote:
JagsFanInNY wrote:
djw4bucs wrote:
Ew

We Put him at OG
Collins-Nicks-Smith-Robinson-Dotson
If you want him to play G, well that right there kills his value and does not make him worth the pick. The guy is an elite tackle prospect and taking him so high to play guard would be like shelling out money for some fancy cut of meat only to turn it into a hamburger. You can get what you need for a lot less.
JagsFanInNY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jachue Jones wrote:
Is that all it takes to move up from 12 to 2. Bad, just bad.

Haha at 13, no, way to high for him. Other two picks OK but that trade Shocked
Well, 12 to 3 last year cost a 2nd round pick so a 2nd and a future 3rd is not terribly off to move to #2.
minutemancl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably spend the rest of draft night dancing if we somehow landed Clowney. I agree with Jachue jones though, the trade value seems a little off. Maybe 12, 43, and 2015 2nd.

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
devils1854

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atlanta doesnt take bpa, they take bpa at a top need, and we have no free safety at the moment. That trumps a tight end.

#JDI
Jason_Bengal_Fl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of Jake Matthews is enticing, but the Bengals very rarely trade up in 1. I only remember one.
holeman1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle Fuller over File for the first round pick for the cardinals

im not sure about Trevor going in the second, would rather take BPA

Logan Thomas, QB, Arizona Cardinals:
1st preseason game:
11/12, 120 yards total, 1 touchdown, 133 QBR
SOCalBearsFan54

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donald and Bucannon for the Bears is fantastic.

2014 Adopt a Bear: WR Brandon Marshall #15
Rec- Yards- TDs- Yac-
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must also be a Bills fan because holy crap would I be happy if we got Robinson at 9. I can definitely get on board for Mathews in the 2nd also.

I'm all about my BILLS, I'm on my Stevie Johnson .... I mean Sammy Watkins.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is beautiful for the Titans. Trading back to pick up a 3rd would be amazing and I'm assuming you meant to give us a 3rd and 6th in 2015 draft as well? Getting both Nix and Attaochu would give us a very good young defense especially in the front 7.
badgers0821

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I like how you give the top team the player you think is not worth the first pick so your team can grab the player you want, you lost all your integrity right off the bat.

For the Packers:

Good first pick, Pryor and Burnett would make a good duo.

Second round pick, not so good. We are projected to have JC Tretter start there, the coaches are very high on him. Borland, Nicklaus, Robinson or Murphy would be better there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> 2015 NFL Mock Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: