Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Are the Pats putting all their eggs into Dobson's basket?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekstanggt wrote:
ConnPatFan wrote:
derekstanggt wrote:
The Pats have had a top 10 offense for, what, the last 8 years? Has it translated into a Super Bowl? I don't think saying "We have a top 10 offense, it's ok" should ever make anyone feel better.

so the fact our fantastic offenses(or anyone else's)haven't won a Super Bowl means we should be worried that our offense may not be fantastic?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. A top 10 offense is fantastic, sure. But that doesn't mean the team should rest on their laurels and not try to improve. I'm not saying that they aren't, but I was only responding to some posts that basically were saying "We have a top 10 offense, we're good. Stop worrying about Dobson."

ConnPatFan wrote:
It will be good enough, probably better than last year with a year of experience on the WRs and hopefully not quite as much missed time from injuries.

Based on what? The impeccable durability history of Gronk, Amendola, Edelman, Vollmer and to a lesser degree, Dobson? The string of fluke injuries last year were to the defense, guys that are typically durable. The offensive injuries have pretty much been par for the course. I know it's impossible to project injuries, but perfect health can't be assumed, and trends have to be accounted for.

Based on HOPE, you know, like he said.

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
derekstanggt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
derekstanggt wrote:
ConnPatFan wrote:
derekstanggt wrote:
The Pats have had a top 10 offense for, what, the last 8 years? Has it translated into a Super Bowl? I don't think saying "We have a top 10 offense, it's ok" should ever make anyone feel better.

so the fact our fantastic offenses(or anyone else's)haven't won a Super Bowl means we should be worried that our offense may not be fantastic?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. A top 10 offense is fantastic, sure. But that doesn't mean the team should rest on their laurels and not try to improve. I'm not saying that they aren't, but I was only responding to some posts that basically were saying "We have a top 10 offense, we're good. Stop worrying about Dobson."

ConnPatFan wrote:
It will be good enough, probably better than last year with a year of experience on the WRs and hopefully not quite as much missed time from injuries.

Based on what? The impeccable durability history of Gronk, Amendola, Edelman, Vollmer and to a lesser degree, Dobson? The string of fluke injuries last year were to the defense, guys that are typically durable. The offensive injuries have pretty much been par for the course. I know it's impossible to project injuries, but perfect health can't be assumed, and trends have to be accounted for.

Based on HOPE, you know, like he said.

Touche Very Happy
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all the talk of Dobson and the health of the receiving unit, the D worries me a lot more right now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
For all the talk of Dobson and the health of the receiving unit, the D worries me a lot more right now.

I agree. I see holes at DT, 3rd DE, LB depth and S.
renndawg37

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Are the Pats putting all their eggs into Dobson's basket Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
renndawg37 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Quote:
The Pats are lacking a true #1 guy. Now I know BB probably doesn't see his WRs as #1, #2, #3, etc, but that's how many opposing defenses are schemed.

So you're saying the Patriots don't have Calvin Johnson? A guy like Jordy Nelson isn't "changing defenses". There's only a couple of players in the NFL who could be described like that.

Quote:
Just looking around the league, it's hard not to find a big, fast, physical WR on almost every team.

Seattle, St. Louis, Tennessee, the New York Jets, the New York Giants, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, Minnesota, San Diego, Carolina - those are all teams off the top of my head that do not have such a player. San Francisco and New Orleans are debatable. Its really harder to find such a player than to not find them.

Having one of the best WRs in the NFL on your team is obviously a good thing. Its also not a necessity. And Dobson doesn't have to be that to be a success. He just has to be decent. Which is what Edelman and Amendola already are.

Hunter, Hill (to a lesser extent), Randle, Patterson? Even Cooper and Marlon Moore have an argument.

Marlon Moore is 6'0 190. He's a tiny bit smaller and slower than Kenbrell Thompkins (using Pro Day/Combine numbers). How does he have an argument that he's a "big, fast, physical" receiver?

My mistake. Mixed him up with somebody else I suppose.

Zach Brown
George Wilson
Patsfan01

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The same sentiment shared by probably 30 other teams about their individual draft picks, though many will not live up to expectations. Chad Jackson looked like the answer, until injuries derailed his career.

Since when did Chad Jackson ever look like the answer? Because this forum looked at him like the next Jerry Rice when we drafted him? That right there makes him look like the answer... His best performance as a Patriot was 2 catches for 42 yards and a TD against the Jets in week two of his NFL career. I counted six different games this season that Dobson put up a better overall performance. Nobody is saying that Dobson is going to turn into the next Randy Moss for us. But to compare him to Chad Jackson is downright stupid.

Quote:

I once again never said anything about this. This whole topic is about worrying if Dobson is "the guy" or if our offense is putting all their eggs in his basket. The fact that people are worrying about our offense is dumb. I absolutely think saying "We have a top 10 offense, it's ok" should make people feel better when this whole topic is based off worrying about our offense. I think we need to be far more concerned about the defense and filling the holes that we still need to fill.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patsfan01 wrote:
Quote:
The same sentiment shared by probably 30 other teams about their individual draft picks, though many will not live up to expectations. Chad Jackson looked like the answer, until injuries derailed his career.

Since when did Chad Jackson ever look like the answer? Because this forum looked at him like the next Jerry Rice when we drafted him? That right there makes him look like the answer... His best performance as a Patriot was 2 catches for 42 yards and a TD against the Jets in week two of his NFL career. I counted six different games this season that Dobson put up a better overall performance. Nobody is saying that Dobson is going to turn into the next Randy Moss for us. But to compare him to Chad Jackson is downright stupid.

Quote:

I once again never said anything about this. This whole topic is about worrying if Dobson is "the guy" or if our offense is putting all their eggs in his basket. The fact that people are worrying about our offense is dumb. I absolutely think saying "We have a top 10 offense, it's ok" should make people feel better when this whole topic is based off worrying about our offense. I think we need to be far more concerned about the defense and filling the holes that we still need to fill.

The comparison of Dobson to Jackson is obviously based on expectations and draft status (both 2nd round picks). I'd say it's somewhat apt. Both guys were brought in with the expectation that they'd be a starting quality WR. Jackson was derailed by injury and rumored playbook issues. Dobson had injury issues and was generally marginal. I think there's plenty of reason to think Dobson could fail to meet expectations as Jackson did.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: