Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Are the Pats putting all their eggs into Dobson's basket?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 25301
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
dhunt2402 wrote:


It's no one's "fault".. They just have to figure it out.


It's Bradys fault when the ball lands out of bounds, Dhunt, which it does on several occasions in the links provided on the previous page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmigvzWm_HU

Tom Bradys touch throws have some INSANE tailing to the outside as evidenced above. That throw looks like it belongs in that commercial with Deion Sanders and matthew Stafford. He has got to get that under control. It has nothing to do with Aaron Dobson.


Bet you could find equally ugly passes for every QB in the NFL. Which isn't to say Brady throws a great deep ball, but ugly passes - especially low percentage passes as long balls are - aren't anything special to Brady. Every QB has plenty of ugly long passes.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 25301
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a lot of hope for Dobson but he didn't really show me much last year. He had one good game and a few other nice plays sporadically throughout the year.

Blame it on Brady all you want, but when a QB and WR "lack chemistry" it's usually because the WR isn't where the QB needs and expects hm to be. And there is little blame for Brady for some of Dobson's egregious drops.

For a guy who is supposed to have a pretty decent sized catch radius, he did a pretty terrible job hauling in passes which didn't hit him in the hands (and dropped a few of those).

I'm also mildly concerned with his litany of nicks and nagging injuries. It's tough for a WR to ever get in sync with the QB/offense if he's off the field a lot.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patsfan25


Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 5615
Location: CenCal
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
I still have a lot of hope for Dobson but he didn't really show me much last year. He had one good game and a few other nice plays sporadically throughout the year.

Blame it on Brady all you want, but when a QB and WR "lack chemistry" it's usually because the WR isn't where the QB needs and expects hm to be. And there is little blame for Brady for some of Dobson's egregious drops.

For a guy who is supposed to have a pretty decent sized catch radius, he did a pretty terrible job hauling in passes which didn't hit him in the hands (and dropped a few of those).

I'm also mildly concerned with his litany of nicks and nagging injuries. It's tough for a WR to ever get in sync with the QB/offense if he's off the field a lot.


Those are legitimate concerns with him. He showed a lack of toughness and seemed to be nerve-wrecked most of the time. It's most likely a rookie thing, and if he gets over it, his potential will seep through.
_________________

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:


Deadpulse Ink.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
terbo559


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 3219
Location: California
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dobson definitely needs better chemistry with Brady, but Brady's has been horribly inaccurate with his throws, especially deep balls, nowadays too so it's going to be tough to see if Dobson will work out well. Dobson said he was going to workout with Brady in the offseason so hopefully they develop a good chemistry by next season. I think Dobson can become the guy for our offense though. He's been showing improvements throughout the past season until his foot injury.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NextBigThing


Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Posts: 22782
Location: Beat Of My Own Drum
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Bet you could find equally ugly passes for every QB in the NFL. Which isn't to say Brady throws a great deep ball, but ugly passes - especially low percentage passes as long balls are - aren't anything special to Brady. Every QB has plenty of ugly long passes.


Of course. & I am not calling out Brady either. But most other QB's don't have his all time great touch, anticipation, and accuracy with pretty much every non deep pass. Brady is more than capable of making those throws.

Quote:
I still have a lot of hope for Dobson but he didn't really show me much last year. He had one good game and a few other nice plays sporadically throughout the year.


Receiver is also a position which traditionally takes a bit to figure out. Dobson showed more promise than any Patriots rookie receiver that I can recall, and I am not referring to the plays he made. The physical gifts are all blatantly obvious.

Frankly, I don't think the Pittsburg game is even his best game. Dobson completely abused Dee Miliner in the week 2 Jets game. His hands and concentration looked very poor, but he was getting open all over the field practically at will. Catching the football will come as comfort increases.

Quote:
Blame it on Brady all you want, but when a QB and WR "lack chemistry" it's usually because the WR isn't where the QB needs and expects hm to be. And there is little blame for Brady for some of Dobson's egregious drops


Of course Dobson deserves blame for dropped balls just as Brady deserves blame for errant throws. I would say their lack of chemistry falls evenly.

There is just no excuse for out of bounds throws on plays where Dobson is behind the entire secondary. Throw the ball so that he either he catches up to it or he doesn't (meaning nobody does). There is no risk of interception. The ones against the Jets and the Buccaneers especially were just ugly.

My analysis of Brady to Dobs is they left an enormous amount of yardage on the field. I think both sides should improve their play next year and both will benefit as a result.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patsfan25


Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 5615
Location: CenCal
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
dhunt2402 wrote:


It's no one's "fault".. They just have to figure it out.


It's Bradys fault when the ball lands out of bounds, Dhunt, which it does on several occasions in the links provided on the previous page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmigvzWm_HU

Tom Bradys touch throws have some INSANE tailing to the outside as evidenced above. That throw looks like it belongs in that commercial with Deion Sanders and matthew Stafford. He has got to get that under control. It has nothing to do with Aaron Dobson.


Bet you could find equally ugly passes for every QB in the NFL. Which isn't to say Brady throws a great deep ball, but ugly passes - especially low percentage passes as long balls are - aren't anything special to Brady. Every QB has plenty of ugly long passes.


Throws being as ugly doesn't also mean Brady hits them as consistently as other NFL Quarterbacks. From the top of my head, I remember Brady connecting on maybe two deep pass last season; The 81 yarder to Dobson and Vereen in the Houston game. KT bailed him out on what was a horrible and stupid throw with that jump ball in the Falcons game.

Here's Thad Lewis:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap2000000302942/QB-Lewis-to-WR-Woods-57-yd-pass

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000261444/Lewis-40-yard-TD-pass

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000261149/Lewis-47-yard-pass

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000236000/Lewis-goes-deep-to-Easley-for-the-touchdown

Case Keenum:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap2000000276218/QB-Keenum-to-WR-Johnson-41-yd-pass-TD

Matt Cassel:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap2000000299107/QB-Cassel-to-WR-Jennings-57-yd-pass-TD

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000298127/Jarius-Wright-42-yard-catch

Geno Smith:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000248624/Hill-51-yard-TD-reception

EJ Manuel:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap2000000283939/QB-Manuel-to-WR-Goodwin-43-yd-pass-TD

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap2000000253208/QB-Manuel-to-WR-Woods-42-yd-pass-TD

These are marginal NFL QBs making throws you hope Brady can make in one season.
_________________

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:


Deadpulse Ink.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
NextBigThing


Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Posts: 22782
Location: Beat Of My Own Drum
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
You realize a lot of those throws are throwaways first and chances second. That's one of the reasons Brady is a mistake free QB, he doesn't just throw it out there and hopes his WR makes a play (except with Moss but Moss is a GOAT) he instead doesn't see a clear throw so he throws it towards the sideline. If the WR can adjust and make the catch, great, bonus yards. It is done to be either the WR makes a great catch or no one does. Which, again comes down to a lack of chemistry and trust.


Honestly, I think you are completely wrong and giving Brady way too much credit here. We have all seen Tom Brady throw the ball up to random guys dozens of times.

Billy Spikes posted a gif of the shot at the youtube link, and everybody was saying "Brady is so smart, he threw the ball behind him", which was utterly stupid and completely absurd. Yes, he is TFB, but he can and does make terrible throws at times. Sorry, I don't think Brady is "throwing it away" and that is why the ball lands out of bounds. Look at the insane tail on the throw in the video. You are out of your mind if you think that is intentional. Brady is just making a god awful pass.

And regardless, if Brady really was 'throwing it away' on some of the plays, he is an idiot, because Dobson is 2 or 3 yards behind the defense. Brady needs to be throwing it IN FRONT OF him so that either Dobson - or nobody, as nobody is closer to the spot than AD - makes the catch.

But I highly doubt it is intentional. We are basically talking about making the same pass he made for the long td vs. Pittsburg, but to the other side of the field.

It's ok, guys. Brady can have very weak touch on his deep throws up the right side line. Its ok to admit.


Ok NBT, whatever you say.


I am sorry, but I just do not understand you're thought process.

Brady is purposely throwing it to the sideline on plays where Aaron Dobson is 3 yards behind everybody, like these ones?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MYu3CUQlMQ&t=0m08s
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MYu3CUQlMQ&t=0m21s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYkoKgX2Zz0&t=2m22s

Brady needs to throw ball out in front of him exactly like he did on the long Steelers touchdown. I don't know what you are talking about when you say he is trying to throw it to the side lines so it might not be intercepted? If the ball is in front of him, nobody will be intercepting it. Either Dobson gets to the ball or nobody gets to the ball. Not sure what is so difficult to grasp or errant in logic.

And that is the right decision to make?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 25301
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:


Of course. & I am not calling out Brady either. But most other QB's don't have his all time great touch, anticipation, and accuracy with pretty much every non deep pass. Brady is more than capable of making those throws.


Yes you are, and if you've watched Brady closely you'd know that while he is "more than capable of making those throws" he doesn't make them all that often. They're low percentage plays for most QB's and Brady is probably about average for a starting QB in making those throws.

Quote:

Of course Dobson deserves blame for dropped balls just as Brady deserves blame for errant throws. I would say their lack of chemistry falls evenly.


I don't see how their lack of chemistry falls evenly at all. Brady runs the offense. The receivers need to be where he thinks they're going to be. If Brady makes an errant throw, so be it. But many of the misses between the two seemed to be more on Dobson not being where Brady expected exactly when it was expected. Does Brady deserve some blame for making bad throws? I guess, but that's true of every WR with whom he works. He made some bad throws to every one of his receivers but Dobson was the guy with whom he had the worst chemistry. I don't know how you can evenly assign blame. Brady is going to make bad throws. I don't see that as a chemistry issue in most occasions.
Quote:

There is just no excuse for out of bounds throws on plays where Dobson is behind the entire secondary. Throw the ball so that he either he catches up to it or he doesn't (meaning nobody does). There is no risk of interception. The ones against the Jets and the Buccaneers especially were just ugly.


Excuse? No. But it's going to happen and while it's very frustrating, it's far more understandable than a WR dropping a ball that hits him in the hands or a WR not running the right route or a WR not reading the defense correctly.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patsfan25


Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 5615
Location: CenCal
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
You realize a lot of those throws are throwaways first and chances second. That's one of the reasons Brady is a mistake free QB, he doesn't just throw it out there and hopes his WR makes a play (except with Moss but Moss is a GOAT) he instead doesn't see a clear throw so he throws it towards the sideline. If the WR can adjust and make the catch, great, bonus yards. It is done to be either the WR makes a great catch or no one does. Which, again comes down to a lack of chemistry and trust.


Honestly, I think you are completely wrong and giving Brady way too much credit here. We have all seen Tom Brady throw the ball up to random guys dozens of times.

Billy Spikes posted a gif of the shot at the youtube link, and everybody was saying "Brady is so smart, he threw the ball behind him", which was utterly stupid and completely absurd. Yes, he is TFB, but he can and does make terrible throws at times. Sorry, I don't think Brady is "throwing it away" and that is why the ball lands out of bounds. Look at the insane tail on the throw in the video. You are out of your mind if you think that is intentional. Brady is just making a god awful pass.

And regardless, if Brady really was 'throwing it away' on some of the plays, he is an idiot, because Dobson is 2 or 3 yards behind the defense. Brady needs to be throwing it IN FRONT OF him so that either Dobson - or nobody, as nobody is closer to the spot than AD - makes the catch.

But I highly doubt it is intentional. We are basically talking about making the same pass he made for the long td vs. Pittsburg, but to the other side of the field.

It's ok, guys. Brady can have very weak touch on his deep throws up the right side line. Its ok to admit.


Ok NBT, whatever you say.


I am sorry, but I just do not understand you're thought process.

Brady is purposely throwing it to the sideline on plays where Aaron Dobson is 3 yards behind everybody, like these ones?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MYu3CUQlMQ&t=0m08s
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MYu3CUQlMQ&t=0m21s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYkoKgX2Zz0&t=2m22s

Brady needs to throw ball out in front of him exactly like he did on the long Steelers touchdown. I don't know what you are talking about when you say he is trying to throw it to the side lines so it might not be intercepted? If the ball is in front of him, nobody will be intercepting it. Either Dobson gets to the ball or nobody gets to the ball. Not sure what is so difficult to grasp or errant in logic.

And that is the right decision to make?


Some guys in here will defend Brady to the brink of death, no matter the criteria. All they see are the perfect Uggs fitment and basking in the sun.
_________________

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:


Deadpulse Ink.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Deadpulse


Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 9617
Location: Boston MA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
You realize a lot of those throws are throwaways first and chances second. That's one of the reasons Brady is a mistake free QB, he doesn't just throw it out there and hopes his WR makes a play (except with Moss but Moss is a GOAT) he instead doesn't see a clear throw so he throws it towards the sideline. If the WR can adjust and make the catch, great, bonus yards. It is done to be either the WR makes a great catch or no one does. Which, again comes down to a lack of chemistry and trust.


Honestly, I think you are completely wrong and giving Brady way too much credit here. We have all seen Tom Brady throw the ball up to random guys dozens of times.

Billy Spikes posted a gif of the shot at the youtube link, and everybody was saying "Brady is so smart, he threw the ball behind him", which was utterly stupid and completely absurd. Yes, he is TFB, but he can and does make terrible throws at times. Sorry, I don't think Brady is "throwing it away" and that is why the ball lands out of bounds. Look at the insane tail on the throw in the video. You are out of your mind if you think that is intentional. Brady is just making a god awful pass.

And regardless, if Brady really was 'throwing it away' on some of the plays, he is an idiot, because Dobson is 2 or 3 yards behind the defense. Brady needs to be throwing it IN FRONT OF him so that either Dobson - or nobody, as nobody is closer to the spot than AD - makes the catch.

But I highly doubt it is intentional. We are basically talking about making the same pass he made for the long td vs. Pittsburg, but to the other side of the field.

It's ok, guys. Brady can have very weak touch on his deep throws up the right side line. Its ok to admit.


Ok NBT, whatever you say.


I am sorry, but I just do not understand you're thought process.

Brady is purposely throwing it to the sideline on plays where Aaron Dobson is 3 yards behind everybody, like these ones?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MYu3CUQlMQ&t=0m08s
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MYu3CUQlMQ&t=0m21s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYkoKgX2Zz0&t=2m22s

Brady needs to throw ball out in front of him exactly like he did on the long Steelers touchdown. I don't know what you are talking about when you say he is trying to throw it to the side lines so it might not be intercepted? If the ball is in front of him, nobody will be intercepting it. Either Dobson gets to the ball or nobody gets to the ball. Not sure what is so difficult to grasp or errant in logic.

And that is the right decision to make?


This is why I don't bother debating with you. You throw out 2 or 3 examples and then act like that is what happens every time expecting Brady to be perfect. Yes, those 2 plays trended too far to the sideline. DOESNT CHANGE THE FACT THAT HE PURPOSELY THREW IT TO THE SIDELINE, because that is where those balls should go. Did he over do it a few times. YES. It doesn't matter that Dobson had a few steps or not, the ball should still go to the sideline when you don't trust the WR and it was OBVIOUS all year that Brady and Dobson werent on the same page. So again, yes Brady isn't perfect and over did the sideline throw but it doesn't change the fact that he threw it that was on purpose due to a lack of trust in Dobson. More often than not, the balls were catchable but Dobson didnt make the play on the sideline.
_________________

Sigs-Taking Requests
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patsfan25


Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 5615
Location: CenCal
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
You realize a lot of those throws are throwaways first and chances second. That's one of the reasons Brady is a mistake free QB, he doesn't just throw it out there and hopes his WR makes a play (except with Moss but Moss is a GOAT) he instead doesn't see a clear throw so he throws it towards the sideline. If the WR can adjust and make the catch, great, bonus yards. It is done to be either the WR makes a great catch or no one does. Which, again comes down to a lack of chemistry and trust.


Honestly, I think you are completely wrong and giving Brady way too much credit here. We have all seen Tom Brady throw the ball up to random guys dozens of times.

Billy Spikes posted a gif of the shot at the youtube link, and everybody was saying "Brady is so smart, he threw the ball behind him", which was utterly stupid and completely absurd. Yes, he is TFB, but he can and does make terrible throws at times. Sorry, I don't think Brady is "throwing it away" and that is why the ball lands out of bounds. Look at the insane tail on the throw in the video. You are out of your mind if you think that is intentional. Brady is just making a god awful pass.

And regardless, if Brady really was 'throwing it away' on some of the plays, he is an idiot, because Dobson is 2 or 3 yards behind the defense. Brady needs to be throwing it IN FRONT OF him so that either Dobson - or nobody, as nobody is closer to the spot than AD - makes the catch.

But I highly doubt it is intentional. We are basically talking about making the same pass he made for the long td vs. Pittsburg, but to the other side of the field.

It's ok, guys. Brady can have very weak touch on his deep throws up the right side line. Its ok to admit.


Ok NBT, whatever you say.


I am sorry, but I just do not understand you're thought process.

Brady is purposely throwing it to the sideline on plays where Aaron Dobson is 3 yards behind everybody, like these ones?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MYu3CUQlMQ&t=0m08s
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MYu3CUQlMQ&t=0m21s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYkoKgX2Zz0&t=2m22s

Brady needs to throw ball out in front of him exactly like he did on the long Steelers touchdown. I don't know what you are talking about when you say he is trying to throw it to the side lines so it might not be intercepted? If the ball is in front of him, nobody will be intercepting it. Either Dobson gets to the ball or nobody gets to the ball. Not sure what is so difficult to grasp or errant in logic.

And that is the right decision to make?


This is why I don't bother debating with you. You throw out 2 or 3 examples and then act like that is what happens every time expecting Brady to be perfect. Yes, those 2 plays trended too far to the sideline. DOESNT CHANGE THE FACT THAT HE PURPOSELY THREW IT TO THE SIDELINE, because that is where those balls should go. Did he over do it a few times. YES. It doesn't matter that Dobson had a few steps or not, the ball should still go to the sideline when you don't trust the WR and it was OBVIOUS all year that Brady and Dobson werent on the same page. So again, yes Brady isn't perfect and over did the sideline throw but it doesn't change the fact that he threw it that was on purpose due to a lack of trust in Dobson. More often than not, the balls were catchable but Dobson didnt make the play on the sideline.


That's ridiculous. Look at the samples I provided to get a better perspective on where the ball needs to be. How about over the top, where the receiver has a chance?
_________________

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:


Deadpulse Ink.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
CP3MVP


Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Posts: 437
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekstanggt wrote:
CP3MVP wrote:

But in general the position of WR is perhaps the most overrated in team sports. Who were the pats WR's when they won 3 in 4 years? You probably can't name the receivers on Seattle and their the best team in the league


That's certainly a point to consider. However, something you didn't mention is that those teams all had elite defenses and very good run games. If the Pats' defense becomes as good, or close to Seattle's, and the run game looks as good as it did the last couple games of last year, then I'll be much less concerned with WR development. Very Happy


Well If healthy, I expect the patriots to have a top 5 defense or right out side the top 5.

The offense was rolling with gronk healthy with dobson and edleman
_________________
Jaguarfan wrote:
Steelerspower wrote:
He is very good.....in garbage time

.......Which is all the time when you're the Raiders.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NextBigThing


Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Posts: 22782
Location: Beat Of My Own Drum
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Yes you are, and if you've watched Brady closely you'd know that while he is "more than capable of making those throws" he doesn't make them all that often. They're low percentage plays for most QB's and Brady is probably about average for a starting QB in making those throws.

I don't see how their lack of chemistry falls evenly at all. Brady runs the offense. The receivers need to be where he thinks they're going to be. If Brady makes an errant throw, so be it. But many of the misses between the two seemed to be more on Dobson not being where Brady expected exactly when it was expected. Does Brady deserve some blame for making bad throws? I guess, but that's true of every WR with whom he works. He made some bad throws to every one of his receivers but Dobson was the guy with whom he had the worst chemistry. I don't know how you can evenly assign blame. Brady is going to make bad throws. I don't see that as a chemistry issue in most occasions.


IMO drops and missed open receivers are equally frustrating. Perhaps you are saying that I am expecting too much out of the quarterback, but the bolded, in my opinion, fits evenly alongside receivers are going to drop balls. The most frustrating of both drops & errant passes are the easier ones.

The problem which applies to Tom Brady's misfires to Aaron Dobson which doesn't apply to his poor throws to everybody else is they are of the deep variety. While those throws are, as you mentioned, lower percentage throws, they're far from impossible & many teams complete far more regularly than qb does. More importantly, the impact and in-game difference completing one of the deep throws makes - when compared to the shorter underneath ones - is much greater. Case in point, we lost this game in overtime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYkoKgX2Zz0&t=2m22s

Tom Brady has GOT to throw a pass that his receiver can at least make a play on in that situation. That is not a case of not knowing where the receiver would be because that would mean Brady anticipated Dobson being out of bounds. Missing on what it is very likely a touchdown is very different than missing on any other normal pass because is cost us the game. Even if Dobson fails to score, we are in field goal range and never go to overtime. Maybe this is merely personal preference which it very well may be, but Brady has less margin for error on deep balls like the ones posted above.

Furthermore, everybody says these are lower percentage throws, but that does not mean they are more difficult throws to make. Brady is not threading a needle on these plays, he is supposed to be picking a spot down the field and throwing the football to that spot, with the thinking being his receiver will run to that spot and make the catch. Hardly rocket science & exactly what he did in the Pitt game long that long touchdown.

It's one thing to say it is a low percentage play when Brady throws a catchable pass and the coverage is just good. However, "it is a low percentage play" does not give Brady a pass when the receiver is clearly open and Brady throws a ball with such poor touch and accuracy that the receiver cannot make a play on the ball.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NextBigThing


Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Posts: 22782
Location: Beat Of My Own Drum
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
This is why I don't bother debating with you. You throw out 2 or 3 examples and then act like that is what happens every time expecting Brady to be perfect. Yes, those 2 plays trended too far to the sideline. DOESNT CHANGE THE FACT THAT HE PURPOSELY THREW IT TO THE SIDELINE, because that is where those balls should go. Did he over do it a few times. YES. It doesn't matter that Dobson had a few steps or not, the ball should still go to the sideline when you don't trust the WR and it was OBVIOUS all year that Brady and Dobson werent on the same page. So again, yes Brady isn't perfect and over did the sideline throw but it doesn't change the fact that he threw it that was on purpose due to a lack of trust in Dobson. More often than not, the balls were catchable but Dobson didnt make the play on the sideline.


So your point is basically

A) Tom Brady is throwing the ball towards the side line instead of more up field because

B) Tom Brady does not trust Aaron Dobson

Right.

Honestly, I think you are completely wrong on every point. I do not think Brady is throwing the ball to the side line because he doesn't trust Dobson, I do not think Brady is supposed to be throwing the ball to side line because he does not trust his receiver.

I think Brady is trying to make the same exact throw he makes here, where he throws it out infront and lets Dobson go get the pass-



The only difference being in the links above, Brady makes a poor throw while in the gif, he makes a great one.

To summarize, even if he is actually trying to do what you say (throw to sideline rather than up field), he is completely wrong because he needs to be doing what he did against the Steelers - throwing the ball out infront of him. Of course, I do not think he is trying to throw the ball to the sideline, I think he just making a very poor throw.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadpulse


Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 9617
Location: Boston MA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those sideline throws are because it is one of his final reads and he doesn't trust Dobson to make the play. If it is his first or second read on the play he has the time to make a good throw down field. If it is one of the last reads his internal clock goes off, he makes a throw to the sideline quickly to where Dobson SHOULD be. Not every play is designed for Dobson.
_________________

Sigs-Taking Requests
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group