Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Worm’s Updated Saints Mock: 04/14/14
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Worm’s Updated Saints Mock: 04/14/14 Reply with quote

Round 1: Jeremiah Attaochu [DE/OLB; Georgia Tech]

Every year it seems certain prospects get pegged as sure fire 1st rounders (mostly through the media) but it’s actually the NFL front office personnel feeding the talking heads with bad information in the hopes of better players falling further in the draft so they can be selected by said teams sending out that bad info and every year many of us fall for it hook, line and sinker.

This year will be no different as many of us will be considered shocked to see prospects we were sure to see go within the top 32 picks fall into the 2nd and 3rd round as other more suprising selections are made in the top round.

Jeremiah Attaochu to me is one of those prospects teams will be hoping to see fall as they talk up other more less talented players at his position to the media. Many of us will be surprised to see how high Attaochu goes off the board but in this mock I have him slotted for the Saints 27th selection.

In my opinion, Jeremiah Attaochu is the 2nd overall DE/OLB combo player in this draft behind Buffalo’s Kahlil Mack. I feel he’s much more athletic and versatile than Auburn’s Dee Ford and possesses more upside than UCLA’s Anthony Barr. Boise State’s Marcus Lawrence is 3rd on my list at this position but isn’t as explosive as Attaochu. Watching Georgia Tech games, Attaochu is consistently impacting the game. He’s a violent player with a great motor and athleticism. His short area quickness is on par to that of Ford but he’s much more fluid in open space like Mack. Attaochu is also raw in many ways, meaning that he has yet to reach his maximum potential as he’s only 21 years old. I liken Attaochu’s game to that of another former Yellow Jacket and Saints pass rusher Pat Swilling, however I feel Attaochu possesses much more potential as a run defender than Swilling did.

The Saints are in a great position with a veteran like Prays Haralson already onboard to mentor the young Attaochu who could become the missing piece towards developing this Saints defensive front seven into one of the NFL’s elite.

Round 2: Jordan Matthews [WR; Vanderbilt]

You know you have an extremely deep receiver class on your hands if you can honestly suggest that a talent such as Jordan Matthews might be available with the 58th selection but that’s exactly what I see playing out here. While Matthews possesses everything you want in a NFL receiver, this class is so deep that he likely won’t hear his named called until midway through the 2nd round. In New Orleans, Matthews would be an ideal fit opposite Marcus Colston allowing Kenny Stills to continue operating in the slot. Matthews possesses the big body, college production and work ethic that Sean Payton likes at the position and would be a great value selection here.

Round 3: Terrance West [RB; Towson]

Here’s my shocker selection for the Saints!

I know what most of ya’ll are thinking but personally I feel there are a lot of question marks surrounding the running back position in New Orleans. Pierre Thomas was brought back on a team friendly two year extension but his time in the Big Easy could eventually end up becoming much shorter lived than that. Mark Ingram has pretty much been a bust to this point after the Saints selected him in the 1st round a few years back not to mention the fact that he’s heading into a contract year and may not be around much longer as well. Khiry Robinson was a revelation last season as a undrafted free agent and seems to have a bright future with the Saints but his running style (much like Chris Ivory) will always cause for concern over his ability to stay healthy over the course of a full NFL season.

Enter Terrance West… While West would benefit from developing behind the above mentioned backs for a season on the Saints roster, he could very well pay HUGE dividends down the line as he possesses featured franchise back potential. Built in the mold of an Ingram, West is a squatty but powerfully built back who was super productive on the college level. Unlike most other backs entering the draft, West also excels in both pass protection and the receiving game as well. So, while the Saints may seems set at this position… I tend to think that might not be the case.

TRADE
This wouldn’t be a Mickey Loomis draft without an aggressive trade thrown into the mix! Here I have the Saints packaging their 4th & 5th round selection they received from the Eagles via the Darren Sproles trade to move back up into the bottom of the 3rd round.

Round 3 via Trade Up: Pierre Desir [CB; Lindenwood]

The signing of veteran Champ Bailey this offseason was a stroke of genius by the Saints front office. Bailey’s experience will only make a solid defensive secondary that much stronger but the organization needs to take advantage of this future hall of famers presence by selecting a physically talented but raw developmental prospect like Desir to develop behind him for a year or two.

Desir is a small school prospect who held his own when he arrived in Mobile, AL for the Senior Bowl. He possesses the size (6’1” 204lbs) Rob Ryan likes and displays great length and fluidity in his movements. I fully expect Champ Bailey to have a bounce back season for the Saints but his time in New Orleans is likely at a two year max. A player like Desir is worth the trade to have ready to take the reins once Bailey calls it a career.

Round 5: Tyler Larsen [OC/OG; Utah State]

The Saints have been poking around a lot of center prospects lately but I still don’t see them valuing the position prior to the 5th round. With Tim Lelito onboard, I expect the Saints to add a talented young prospect at this point in the draft to compete with him for the starting position.

Tyler Larsen is an underrated prospect who is very durable and battled tested. He’s surprisingly athletic and possesses a powerful punch and mean streak. He’s definitely a player that would give Leltio a fierce battle in training camp and also possesses the versatility to play guard if beat out by Lelito at center.

Round 6: Khyri Thornton [NT/DT; Southern Mississippi]

Brodrick Bunkley accepting a pay cut this offseason was admirable but it will be short lived as I expect this to be the last season in the Big Easy for him. Jon Jenkins is the future at the position but I also expect the Saints to look to address the depth at the position along the defensive line with another versatile defender.

Thornton is an absolute bull on the interior who possesses a stout powerful build and has tons of experience at the “0” tech as well as the “5”. In the Golden Eagles contest against Arkansas, Thornton faced off who many NFL personnel feel is this drafts top center prospect in Travis Swanson and Thornton absolutely owned him from the first snap to the last lining up directly over the future top 100 pick all game long. In New Orleans, Thornton would provide a valuable rotation at the nose with Jenkins and Bunkley but also offers enough versatility to be used elsewhere across the defensive line.

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o

Last edited by whodatworm23 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:01 am; edited 8 times in total
FLOODx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mock.. Love Hill, but a 3rd power back doesn't make much sense to me. I'm a fan of all the other prospects

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
spanky3801

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good, but I'd prefer Ole Miss' Donte Moncrief over Vandy's Mathews. I believe Moncreif has Josh Gordon type potential.

I see you have mocked Keith McGill to us, again. He is a massive CB, but can he flip hips and cover guys like Julio and Roddy? Not to say he's a bad pick, but is he quick enough?

I like the fact that you have us taking two WRs, but will the Saints actually do it.

Jeremy Hill- awesome pick. Why another power back, Flood? Because, Mark Ingram hasn't proven that he shouldn't be replaced. He's always had potential, but I we wouldn't avoid Hill because Ingram may or may not show up.

JC Copeland- nice, but FBs are so distant from today's game. I we must take a FB though, he should be the one.

Trading back from the 1st. Possible but unlikely from this staff. Personally, I'd like to land a 1st in 2015. In 2015, Dorial Green Beckham will declare for the draft, and he will be the next Megatron. Moncrief and DGB would be WOW...
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Worm’s Updated Saints Mock: Reply with quote

UPDATED:

unfsaint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of trading up at the expense of our 3rd and 5th rounder...especially for a position other than QB.

I like Mosley a ton...but I feel that 3rd round pick will have considerable value. I also believe that there will be someone there good at #27.

I like your selections though. If we are going with ODB or Cooks in round one...I could see the appeal of Moncrief thereafter. I am still a big fan of Jarvis Landry and feel that he would be an excellent split end day one...but Moncrief has the upside, no question.

~Sir William Osler
kelsobob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moncrief and Purifoy would be awesome
Not too high on the trade up. Mosley has the potential to be a good LB but I dont see greatness when I watch him. He has knee concerns also.
spanky3801

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for mocking us Moncrief...Spanky happy.

All jokes aside, I like the player from the trade, but I feel it's too much in a draft as deep as this one. I would love to sit back at 27 and take Kony Ealy. The concerns about Ealy are the same that Aldon Smith had coming out. That worked out well for SF.

If you believe we need another inside guy, look no further thsn Yasmin Smallwood in the later rounds. Smallwood and Ealy would be better than Mosely and Hubbard. Plus it wouldn't cost us our 3rd and fifth.
unfsaint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Christian Jones could also be the best ILB from this draft class. Very well rounded....can cover, can blitz, stop the run as well as most of the other WILB, actually has a frame to put on weight.

~Sir William Osler
spanky3801

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about Christian Jones. Good point unfsaints. Either way though, trading up for Mosely is too much.
krewebrees

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see why you did it and if Payton and Loomis do this in the draft i can get with it, but I don't agree with it. My concern isn't the 2014 LB corps it's the 2015. I don't think anyone has an issue with Lofton, but honestly Hawthorne impressed me just as much as Lofton did last season. The problem is their salaries, especially Lofton's, in 2015 could cause them to both be cut before next season. We need a Mike and will for 2015 and we don't want to be forced into taking one or even worse both. So I understand getting an ILB this year even with a high pick and I do like Mosley, but I agree with nearly everyone else were trading up a lot to get him. And there's a chance he doesn't start until his second year (not saying he won't but I don't think it's as likely as everyone would expect). Not only will the third and fith give us two more high quality players, but we can get a solid future ILB at 27 Shazier, Van Noy, or in the second or third Smallwood, Jones. And with Lofton and Hawthorne on the team for another season they don't have to and likely won't even if they could start for another season.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krewebrees wrote:
I see why you did it and if Payton and Loomis do this in the draft i can get with it, but I don't agree with it. My concern isn't the 2014 LB corps it's the 2015. I don't think anyone has an issue with Lofton, but honestly Hawthorne impressed me just as much as Lofton did last season. The problem is their salaries, especially Lofton's, in 2015 could cause them to both be cut before next season. We need a Mike and will for 2015 and we don't want to be forced into taking one or even worse both. So I understand getting an ILB this year even with a high pick and I do like Mosley, but I agree with nearly everyone else were trading up a lot to get him. And there's a chance he doesn't start until his second year (not saying he won't but I don't think it's as likely as everyone would expect). Not only will the third and fith give us two more high quality players, but we can get a solid future ILB at 27 Shazier, Van Noy, or in the second or third Smallwood, Jones. And with Lofton and Hawthorne on the team for another season they don't have to and likely won't even if they could start for another season.

I knew that most would not only dislike the idea of trading away draft picks but disagree with the selection on Mosley but here's my reasoning for it...

Your right, this is actually a move made with an eye towards the future. Mosley would likely come in as our nickel backer behind Lofton and Hawthorne as a rookie with an eye towards taking over for Hawthorne when he's cut next season due to cap reasons (I firmly believe this will happen).

Also, It's just my personal belief (I understand most may disagree) but I see Mosley as a special player. I don think he's heads and shoulders above all the other ILB prospects mentioned on here and will be an impact player in the NFL who would excel in Ryan's scheme.

It's my belief that Mosley would be worth the price but that's just me... #8th overall on my big board at the 16th pick is great value even with the trade.

Harper41

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfsaint wrote:
I think that Christian Jones could also be the best ILB from this draft class. Very well rounded....can cover, can blitz, stop the run as well as most of the other WILB, actually has a frame to put on weight.

Erm. Mosley is a far superior prospect to Jones. Jones is super soft, slow to react, and he's a very average pass rusher. People assume because FSU put him at DE that he's some great pass rusher at ILB, but he sucks at it.

I liked Jones but every time I watched him play I came away unimpressed.

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
Raves

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I'd want Mosley. Just seems like a carbon copy of Lofton at ILB and I might be more inclined to someone that might be a little quicker and more agile so Lofton can focus more on stuffing at the line while the other LB can pass protect, go sideline to sideline, or just be a better blitzer due to their speed.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
I'm not sure if I'd want Mosley. Just seems like a carbon copy of Lofton at ILB and I might be more inclined to someone that might be a little quicker and more agile so Lofton can focus more on stuffing at the line while the other LB can pass protect, go sideline to sideline, or just be a better blitzer due to their speed.

You obviously have not watched much of Mosley then... He's nothing like Lofton much less a carbon copy. Mosley's game is predicated on instincts and speed, his range is excellent and is a sideline to sideline defender and sure tackler. If your referring to Shaizer when you mention someone quicker and more agile, I'd disagree. While Shaizer is the better athlete of the two... Mosley is the superior linebacker.

Raves

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Raves wrote:

You obviously have not watched much of Mosley then... He's nothing like Lofton much less a carbon copy. Mosley's game is predicated on instincts and speed, his range is excellent and is a sideline to sideline defender and sure tackler. If your referring to Shaizer when you mention someone quicker and more agile, I'd disagree. While Shaizer is the better athlete of the two... Mosley is the superior linebacker.

I actually wasn't referring to Shazier, but when I have seen Mosley I just never got that impression from him. Truthfully in the games I have watched of Alabama's I don't really remember noticing him at all. Granted I think I only watched maybe 2 or 3 games of Alabama this year so maybe I missed something compared to years past but that's just me.

I still prefer we get a WR in the 1st round, at least as long as it's not Marquis Lee. I'm also really high on Allen Robinson as some others are as well as Jordan Matthews and think the two of them would do wonders on the team. I would almost go as far as saying we could disregard our defense till the 3rd round after signing Byrd and look to go 1st and 2nd round offense.

If we could end up going Allen Robinson into Jordan Matthews... we would be in a pretty good position with Colston/Robinson/Matthews/Stills/Toon and Robinson/Matthews/Stills/Toon for the future letting Colston be expendable.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: