Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Should the Redskins trade for Jeremy Zuttah -Tampa center
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Doc Draper


Joined: 18 Dec 2012
Posts: 701
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Should the Redskins trade for Jeremy Zuttah -Tampa center Reply with quote

I always liked this guy. Natural center who is strong and fast. Would be a huge upgrade over what we have at center now, which is next to nothing. I think we could get this 27 year old who turns 28 in June for a 7th round pick or wait and take our chances he may be released. I'd even trade a 6th for him as he would start day 1.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big44dog


Joined: 08 Jan 2009
Posts: 926
Location: New York
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Should the Redskins trade for Jeremy Zuttah -Tampa cente Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
I always liked this guy. Natural center who is strong and fast. Would be a huge upgrade over what we have at center now, which is next to nothing. I think we could get this 27 year old who turns 28 in June for a 7th round pick or wait and take our chances he may be released. I'd even trade a 6th for him as he would start day 1.


I guess for a 7 I wouldn't be mad at it. At 6'4" 308 he's more what they're looking for up front. Let him and Kory duke it out in camp for the starting gig. Thing is when Zuttah wins what to do with Kory lol.
_________________
. Mike23md on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62177
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather not trade for him. His cap hit is:

2014: $4.5 million
2015: $4.25 million

There's no way he's worth that, if he was, the Bucs would keep him.

I say we wait it out, it's likely no one will trade for him with those large cap #s and he'll be cut, then we can sign him.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4836/jeremy-zuttah

Quote:
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Buccaneers are "open to listening to offers" for C/G Jeremy Zuttah.
Zuttah's $4.5 million base salary will be prohibitive, especially when interested clubs know the Buccaneers will likely just wind up releasing him. The Bucs' entire line took a step back last season, and GM Jason Licht has prioritized overhauling it. Zuttah, 27, has generally been a quality NFL starter. Mar 16 - 8:00 PM

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Preseason 10; Final Cuts 33; Reg Season 41
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED


Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 3622
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I'd rather not trade for him. His cap hit is:

2014: $4.5 million
2015: $4.25 million

There's no way he's worth that, if he was, the Bucs would keep him.

I say we wait it out, it's likely no one will trade for him with those large cap #s and he'll be cut, then we can sign him.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4836/jeremy-zuttah

Quote:
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Buccaneers are "open to listening to offers" for C/G Jeremy Zuttah.
Zuttah's $4.5 million base salary will be prohibitive, especially when interested clubs know the Buccaneers will likely just wind up releasing him. The Bucs' entire line took a step back last season, and GM Jason Licht has prioritized overhauling it. Zuttah, 27, has generally been a quality NFL starter. Mar 16 - 8:00 PM

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter


Didn't we just pay more for a questionable G?
I would argue that C is more important, but maybe it's just me. I would stretch the wallet for an upgrade at C though, just depends on how much of an upgrade he is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tyler735


Joined: 12 Aug 2007
Posts: 1576
Location: Minnesota
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
I'd rather not trade for him. His cap hit is:

2014: $4.5 million
2015: $4.25 million

There's no way he's worth that, if he was, the Bucs would keep him.

I say we wait it out, it's likely no one will trade for him with those large cap #s and he'll be cut, then we can sign him.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4836/jeremy-zuttah

Quote:
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Buccaneers are "open to listening to offers" for C/G Jeremy Zuttah.
Zuttah's $4.5 million base salary will be prohibitive, especially when interested clubs know the Buccaneers will likely just wind up releasing him. The Bucs' entire line took a step back last season, and GM Jason Licht has prioritized overhauling it. Zuttah, 27, has generally been a quality NFL starter. Mar 16 - 8:00 PM

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter


Didn't we just pay more for a questionable G?
I would argue that C is more important, but maybe it's just me. I would stretch the wallet for an upgrade at C though, just depends on how much of an upgrade he is.


Or we could just draft a guy like Weston Richburg in the draft who has a ton of talent and not worry about overpaying a guy that may get cut.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaiphoon


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 14096
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyler735 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
I'd rather not trade for him. His cap hit is:

2014: $4.5 million
2015: $4.25 million

There's no way he's worth that, if he was, the Bucs would keep him.

I say we wait it out, it's likely no one will trade for him with those large cap #s and he'll be cut, then we can sign him.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4836/jeremy-zuttah

Quote:
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Buccaneers are "open to listening to offers" for C/G Jeremy Zuttah.
Zuttah's $4.5 million base salary will be prohibitive, especially when interested clubs know the Buccaneers will likely just wind up releasing him. The Bucs' entire line took a step back last season, and GM Jason Licht has prioritized overhauling it. Zuttah, 27, has generally been a quality NFL starter. Mar 16 - 8:00 PM

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter


Didn't we just pay more for a questionable G?
I would argue that C is more important, but maybe it's just me. I would stretch the wallet for an upgrade at C though, just depends on how much of an upgrade he is.


Or we could just draft a guy like Weston Richburg in the draft who has a ton of talent and not worry about overpaying a guy that may get cut.


^^ This. Younger AND cheaper
_________________


Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doc Draper


Joined: 18 Dec 2012
Posts: 701
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
tyler735 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
I'd rather not trade for him. His cap hit is:

2014: $4.5 million
2015: $4.25 million

There's no way he's worth that, if he was, the Bucs would keep him.

I say we wait it out, it's likely no one will trade for him with those large cap #s and he'll be cut, then we can sign him.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4836/jeremy-zuttah

Quote:
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Buccaneers are "open to listening to offers" for C/G Jeremy Zuttah.
Zuttah's $4.5 million base salary will be prohibitive, especially when interested clubs know the Buccaneers will likely just wind up releasing him. The Bucs' entire line took a step back last season, and GM Jason Licht has prioritized overhauling it. Zuttah, 27, has generally been a quality NFL starter. Mar 16 - 8:00 PM

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter


Didn't we just pay more for a questionable G?
I would argue that C is more important, but maybe it's just me. I would stretch the wallet for an upgrade at C though, just depends on how much of an upgrade he is.


Or we could just draft a guy like Weston Richburg in the draft who has a ton of talent and not worry about overpaying a guy that may get cut.


^^ This. Younger AND cheaper


But you have to consider the opportunity cost of the draft pick you are using into the total value/benefit. With 6 these are prescious especially2-4 where we have reasonable chances for starters in years 2-5.and our needs are large for a play-maker at WR, S, DL, T, C, Olb, ILB, TE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tyler735


Joined: 12 Aug 2007
Posts: 1576
Location: Minnesota
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
tyler735 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
I'd rather not trade for him. His cap hit is:

2014: $4.5 million
2015: $4.25 million

There's no way he's worth that, if he was, the Bucs would keep him.

I say we wait it out, it's likely no one will trade for him with those large cap #s and he'll be cut, then we can sign him.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4836/jeremy-zuttah

Quote:
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Buccaneers are "open to listening to offers" for C/G Jeremy Zuttah.
Zuttah's $4.5 million base salary will be prohibitive, especially when interested clubs know the Buccaneers will likely just wind up releasing him. The Bucs' entire line took a step back last season, and GM Jason Licht has prioritized overhauling it. Zuttah, 27, has generally been a quality NFL starter. Mar 16 - 8:00 PM

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter


Didn't we just pay more for a questionable G?
I would argue that C is more important, but maybe it's just me. I would stretch the wallet for an upgrade at C though, just depends on how much of an upgrade he is.


Or we could just draft a guy like Weston Richburg in the draft who has a ton of talent and not worry about overpaying a guy that may get cut.


^^ This. Younger AND cheaper


But you have to consider the opportunity cost of the draft pick you are using into the total value/benefit. With 6 these are prescious especially2-4 where we have reasonable chances for starters in years 2-5.and our needs are large for a play-maker at WR, S, DL, T, C, Olb, ILB, TE


I have thought about this extensively as far as value/benefit. A center that has the potential to be a good/elite starter (Weston Richburg) for years to come that can possibly be drafted in the 3rd round seems like a great way to use one of our limited resources.

We do need another WR (Number 2), which we surely can get in the draft. We already signed Andre Roberts who can be a decent number 2 (he is better than Hankerson, so we already have upgraded from last season), or he can be a very solid number 3 for us.

At Safety that is not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. First off part of the problem last season was we had no penetration from our D-line most of the season. Baker showed at the end of the season he was one of the only lineman that could create collapse the pocket. Thankfully we resigned him. By starting him at nose tackle, we can move Cofield out to DE where he will be much more effective at rushing the passer/getting into the backfield. Then we also signed Hatcher who specializes in getting into the backfield/sacking the QB. This means that we should have much better D-line play this season, which will take a lot of pressure off the rest of the defense, and make it easier for the CB's/Safety's since they won't have to cover as long since we should be getting to the QB faster this season.

On top of that we get a very talented guy back from injury in Phillip Thomas. Last year the draft had a TON of Safety depth, he was considered to be a 2nd round prospect before the draft, but fell because there were so many good safety's. He likely should be able to be a starter for us at SS this season. If not Gumbs is another guy that is young that could potentially help us out. He has great athletic tools and size for the position, so he does have some potential. Rambo is another guy that is young, and has ability, but as we saw last season he did have some flaws as well that he needs to work on. Thankfully a players career is not determined by how they perform in their rookie season, so maybe we should at least give him more than a year before we write him off...We are in talks with Ryan Clark right now who can be a stop gap at FS for us. He is coming off one of his best seasons statistically, so he still has enough left in the tank to help out for a year or two. If we don't sign him we can always go back to Brandon Merriweather who can play either Safety position. As mentioned before the safety play should be improved this year with the D-line getting to the QB faster. If the Safety play doesn't improve this season then we definitely will need to use a high draft pick, or sign a quality free agent to address the spot, but for now I want to see what our young talent can do now that they have some NFL experience.

I don't view DL as much of a need at this point. We have 3 guys that should all be effective starters plus Jenkins is another year removed from knee surgery and isn't starting the year off with a suspension, so he could very well improvel since he is still young. Between Cofield, Hatcher, Baker, and Jenkins we are set for this season. We could add depth, but we definitely aren't hurting anywhere on the line at this point. Next offseason we could look to start developing another young lineman, but right now it is hardly a need anymore.

As for outside linebacker, we have 2 very good starter, and could sign another depth guy, but we also have Jenkins who has some talent as well, so we really only need to add another depth guy there. Not really a pressing need for us.

Inside Linebacker is a need for us, but there is plenty of depth in the draft to grab a guy in the 4th round, so we shouldn't have an issue finding one. Plus if Keenan Robinson stays healthy, he was considered to be one of the top 4 ILB's in 2012 by many draft sites, and watching him for years at Texas makes me think he would be a solid starter next to Riley. Plus we signed Sharpton who filled in as a starter for an injured Brian Cushing last season, and had 80+ tackles. He isn't great in coverage, but was pretty solid against the run last season.

Tight End is somewhat of a luxury need. We do have a very talented starter in Reed, but he has had some injury concerns. I'm not sure where we stand as far as signing Owen Daniels who just visited with us, but if we sign him Tight End will not be a need at all for us anymore.

At right tackle we are looking to sign Donald Penn, and even if we don't sign him, Polumbus was our 2nd best OL last season. RT is a position where we can get by with a guy that is average. This season RG3 will have that bulky knee brace off and will be another year removed from surgery, so he will be able to escape from defenders much more effectively like he did as a rookie. RG3 can see the pressure coming from the right side since it isn't his blind side, so having an average guy there like Polumbus, or a slight upgrade in Penn won't be that bad.

As for Center, I don't have a lot of faith in Kory L. playing there after watching struggle terribly last season, and feel that since he is moving to Center we definitely should have another option to go with. Instead of trading one of our draft picks (limited resources) for a guy that may get cut, we should use a draft pick on a guy like Richburg who is younger cheaper, and more talented. The Bucs wouldn't be cutting the guy if he was talented, so I'd much rather take one of the top Centers in the draft.

So basically our main needs going into the draft are:
WR
Center
ILB
Punter
Kick Returner
Guard
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PSID412


Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 1382
Location: Bristol England
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The talks is Zuttah will likely to get cut so I would look into picking up if he does so yeah
_________________

^ Awesome sig by Mike23md
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62177
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
I'd rather not trade for him. His cap hit is:

2014: $4.5 million
2015: $4.25 million

There's no way he's worth that, if he was, the Bucs would keep him.

I say we wait it out, it's likely no one will trade for him with those large cap #s and he'll be cut, then we can sign him.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4836/jeremy-zuttah

Quote:
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Buccaneers are "open to listening to offers" for C/G Jeremy Zuttah.
Zuttah's $4.5 million base salary will be prohibitive, especially when interested clubs know the Buccaneers will likely just wind up releasing him. The Bucs' entire line took a step back last season, and GM Jason Licht has prioritized overhauling it. Zuttah, 27, has generally been a quality NFL starter. Mar 16 - 8:00 PM

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter


Didn't we just pay more for a questionable G?
I would argue that C is more important, but maybe it's just me. I would stretch the wallet for an upgrade at C though, just depends on how much of an upgrade he is.
I haven't seen the final #s and how the contract breaks down.

On the surface, the deals look similar, but the Bucs OL took a step back last year. If the Bucs believed Zuttah had a good year, they wouldn't be shopping him
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Preseason 10; Final Cuts 33; Reg Season 41
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Doc Draper


Joined: 18 Dec 2012
Posts: 701
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyler735 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
tyler735 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
I'd rather not trade for him. His cap hit is:

2014: $4.5 million
2015: $4.25 million

There's no way he's worth that, if he was, the Bucs would keep him.

I say we wait it out, it's likely no one will trade for him with those large cap #s and he'll be cut, then we can sign him.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4836/jeremy-zuttah

Quote:
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Buccaneers are "open to listening to offers" for C/G Jeremy Zuttah.
Zuttah's $4.5 million base salary will be prohibitive, especially when interested clubs know the Buccaneers will likely just wind up releasing him. The Bucs' entire line took a step back last season, and GM Jason Licht has prioritized overhauling it. Zuttah, 27, has generally been a quality NFL starter. Mar 16 - 8:00 PM

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter


Didn't we just pay more for a questionable G?
I would argue that C is more important, but maybe it's just me. I would stretch the wallet for an upgrade at C though, just depends on how much of an upgrade he is.


Or we could just draft a guy like Weston Richburg in the draft who has a ton of talent and not worry about overpaying a guy that may get cut.


^^ This. Younger AND cheaper


But you have to consider the opportunity cost of the draft pick you are using into the total value/benefit. With 6 these are prescious especially2-4 where we have reasonable chances for starters in years 2-5.and our needs are large for a play-maker at WR, S, DL, T, C, Olb, ILB, TE


I have thought about this extensively as far as value/benefit. A center that has the potential to be a good/elite starter (Weston Richburg) for years to come that can possibly be drafted in the 3rd round seems like a great way to use one of our limited resources.

We do need another WR (Number 2), which we surely can get in the draft. We already signed Andre Roberts who can be a decent number 2 (he is better than Hankerson, so we already have upgraded from last season), or he can be a very solid number 3 for us.

At Safety that is not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. First off part of the problem last season was we had no penetration from our D-line most of the season. Baker showed at the end of the season he was one of the only lineman that could create collapse the pocket. Thankfully we resigned him. By starting him at nose tackle, we can move Cofield out to DE where he will be much more effective at rushing the passer/getting into the backfield. Then we also signed Hatcher who specializes in getting into the backfield/sacking the QB. This means that we should have much better D-line play this season, which will take a lot of pressure off the rest of the defense, and make it easier for the CB's/Safety's since they won't have to cover as long since we should be getting to the QB faster this season.

On top of that we get a very talented guy back from injury in Phillip Thomas. Last year the draft had a TON of Safety depth, he was considered to be a 2nd round prospect before the draft, but fell because there were so many good safety's. He likely should be able to be a starter for us at SS this season. If not Gumbs is another guy that is young that could potentially help us out. He has great athletic tools and size for the position, so he does have some potential. Rambo is another guy that is young, and has ability, but as we saw last season he did have some flaws as well that he needs to work on. Thankfully a players career is not determined by how they perform in their rookie season, so maybe we should at least give him more than a year before we write him off...We are in talks with Ryan Clark right now who can be a stop gap at FS for us. He is coming off one of his best seasons statistically, so he still has enough left in the tank to help out for a year or two. If we don't sign him we can always go back to Brandon Merriweather who can play either Safety position. As mentioned before the safety play should be improved this year with the D-line getting to the QB faster. If the Safety play doesn't improve this season then we definitely will need to use a high draft pick, or sign a quality free agent to address the spot, but for now I want to see what our young talent can do now that they have some NFL experience.

I don't view DL as much of a need at this point. We have 3 guys that should all be effective starters plus Jenkins is another year removed from knee surgery and isn't starting the year off with a suspension, so he could very well improvel since he is still young. Between Cofield, Hatcher, Baker, and Jenkins we are set for this season. We could add depth, but we definitely aren't hurting anywhere on the line at this point. Next offseason we could look to start developing another young lineman, but right now it is hardly a need anymore.

As for outside linebacker, we have 2 very good starter, and could sign another depth guy, but we also have Jenkins who has some talent as well, so we really only need to add another depth guy there. Not really a pressing need for us.

Inside Linebacker is a need for us, but there is plenty of depth in the draft to grab a guy in the 4th round, so we shouldn't have an issue finding one. Plus if Keenan Robinson stays healthy, he was considered to be one of the top 4 ILB's in 2012 by many draft sites, and watching him for years at Texas makes me think he would be a solid starter next to Riley. Plus we signed Sharpton who filled in as a starter for an injured Brian Cushing last season, and had 80+ tackles. He isn't great in coverage, but was pretty solid against the run last season.

Tight End is somewhat of a luxury need. We do have a very talented starter in Reed, but he has had some injury concerns. I'm not sure where we stand as far as signing Owen Daniels who just visited with us, but if we sign him Tight End will not be a need at all for us anymore.

At right tackle we are looking to sign Donald Penn, and even if we don't sign him, Polumbus was our 2nd best OL last season. RT is a position where we can get by with a guy that is average. This season RG3 will have that bulky knee brace off and will be another year removed from surgery, so he will be able to escape from defenders much more effectively like he did as a rookie. RG3 can see the pressure coming from the right side since it isn't his blind side, so having an average guy there like Polumbus, or a slight upgrade in Penn won't be that bad.

As for Center, I don't have a lot of faith in Kory L. playing there after watching struggle terribly last season, and feel that since he is moving to Center we definitely should have another option to go with. Instead of trading one of our draft picks (limited resources) for a guy that may get cut, we should use a draft pick on a guy like Richburg who is younger cheaper, and more talented. The Bucs wouldn't be cutting the guy if he was talented, so I'd much rather take one of the top Centers in the draft.

So basically our main needs going into the draft are:
WR
Center
ILB
Punter
Kick Returner
Guard


Excellent analysis! I wonder what are chances are of getting a bostic and Jacoby as free agents or were these once in a lifetime opportunities
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62177
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyler735 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
tyler735 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
I'd rather not trade for him. His cap hit is:

2014: $4.5 million
2015: $4.25 million

There's no way he's worth that, if he was, the Bucs would keep him.

I say we wait it out, it's likely no one will trade for him with those large cap #s and he'll be cut, then we can sign him.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4836/jeremy-zuttah

Quote:
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Buccaneers are "open to listening to offers" for C/G Jeremy Zuttah.
Zuttah's $4.5 million base salary will be prohibitive, especially when interested clubs know the Buccaneers will likely just wind up releasing him. The Bucs' entire line took a step back last season, and GM Jason Licht has prioritized overhauling it. Zuttah, 27, has generally been a quality NFL starter. Mar 16 - 8:00 PM

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter


Didn't we just pay more for a questionable G?
I would argue that C is more important, but maybe it's just me. I would stretch the wallet for an upgrade at C though, just depends on how much of an upgrade he is.


Or we could just draft a guy like Weston Richburg in the draft who has a ton of talent and not worry about overpaying a guy that may get cut.


^^ This. Younger AND cheaper


But you have to consider the opportunity cost of the draft pick you are using into the total value/benefit. With 6 these are prescious especially2-4 where we have reasonable chances for starters in years 2-5.and our needs are large for a play-maker at WR, S, DL, T, C, Olb, ILB, TE


I have thought about this extensively as far as value/benefit. A center that has the potential to be a good/elite starter (Weston Richburg) for years to come that can possibly be drafted in the 3rd round seems like a great way to use one of our limited resources.
So, drafting one of the least impactful positions in the NFL, when you have a veteran in place seems like a wise use of our "limited resources," I'm not sure I understand.

Quote:
We do need another WR (Number 2), which we surely can get in the draft. We already signed Andre Roberts who can be a decent number 2 (he is better than Hankerson, so we already have upgraded from last season), or he can be a very solid number 3 for us.
We signed our #2 WR - Andre Roberts, the last time he was a #2 WR he produced better numbers than a Redskins #2 WR has produced in the past 20 years.

2012: 64 recs, 759 YDs, 2 TDs

WR just isn't as big a need as you portray it be.

I see our Wrs doing quite well this year because our OL looks like it will be better pass protectors than the previous two years, Roberts is a huge upgrade and RG3 should be much better because he will be working on the offense and learning, instead of mainly rehabbing.

Quote:
At Safety that is not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. First off part of the problem last season was we had no penetration from our D-line most of the season. Baker showed at the end of the season he was one of the only lineman that could create collapse the pocket. Thankfully we resigned him. By starting him at nose tackle, we can move Cofield out to DE where he will be much more effective at rushing the passer/getting into the backfield. Then we also signed Hatcher who specializes in getting into the backfield/sacking the QB. This means that we should have much better D-line play this season, which will take a lot of pressure off the rest of the defense, and make it easier for the CB's/Safety's since they won't have to cover as long since we should be getting to the QB faster this season.

On top of that we get a very talented guy back from injury in Phillip Thomas. Last year the draft had a TON of Safety depth, he was considered to be a 2nd round prospect before the draft, but fell because there were so many good safety's. He likely should be able to be a starter for us at SS this season. If not Gumbs is another guy that is young that could potentially help us out. He has great athletic tools and size for the position, so he does have some potential. Rambo is another guy that is young, and has ability, but as we saw last season he did have some flaws as well that he needs to work on. Thankfully a players career is not determined by how they perform in their rookie season, so maybe we should at least give him more than a year before we write him off...We are in talks with Ryan Clark right now who can be a stop gap at FS for us. He is coming off one of his best seasons statistically, so he still has enough left in the tank to help out for a year or two. If we don't sign him we can always go back to Brandon Merriweather who can play either Safety position. As mentioned before the safety play should be improved this year with the D-line getting to the QB faster. If the Safety play doesn't improve this season then we definitely will need to use a high draft pick, or sign a quality free agent to address the spot, but for now I want to see what our young talent can do now that they have some NFL experience.

I don't view DL as much of a need at this point. We have 3 guys that should all be effective starters plus Jenkins is another year removed from knee surgery and isn't starting the year off with a suspension, so he could very well improvel since he is still young. Between Cofield, Hatcher, Baker, and Jenkins we are set for this season. We could add depth, but we definitely aren't hurting anywhere on the line at this point. Next offseason we could look to start developing another young lineman, but right now it is hardly a need anymore.
There is no doubt the improved DL play will help our pass coverage. Still though, better coverage and tackling from our safeties is needed. I'm not sure how we can trust in Phillip Thomas, he is coming off the lisfranc injury and one reason he fell in the draft was because of inconsistent tackling.

I love his potential, but to act like WR is a bigger need than safety or ILB just doesn't carry much water with me.

We have 3 reliable veteran wide receivers, and two on their prime who've proven to be very explosive.

At ILB you have Keenan Robinson's injury problems and then you have currently our best safety (Thomas) as a total enigma in terms of health and ability.

Quote:
As for outside linebacker, we have 2 very good starter, and could sign another depth guy, but we also have Jenkins who has some talent as well, so we really only need to add another depth guy there. Not really a pressing need for us.
agreed here

Quote:
Inside Linebacker is a need for us, but there is plenty of depth in the draft to grab a guy in the 4th round, so we shouldn't have an issue finding one. Plus if Keenan Robinson stays healthy, he was considered to be one of the top 4 ILB's in 2012 by many draft sites, and watching him for years at Texas makes me think he would be a solid starter next to Riley. Plus we signed Sharpton who filled in as a starter for an injured Brian Cushing last season, and had 80+ tackles. He isn't great in coverage, but was pretty solid against the run last season.
See, this is where we flip. I'd flip what you say about ILB and WR. ILB is the questionmark, not the WR position.

I think we should address ILB in round 2 or 3, then draft a WR in round 4.

Quote:
Tight End is somewhat of a luxury need. We do have a very talented starter in Reed, but he has had some injury concerns. I'm not sure where we stand as far as signing Owen Daniels who just visited with us, but if we sign him Tight End will not be a need at all for us anymore.
agreed

Quote:
At right tackle we are looking to sign Donald Penn, and even if we don't sign him, Polumbus was our 2nd best OL last season. RT is a position where we can get by with a guy that is average. This season RG3 will have that bulky knee brace off and will be another year removed from surgery, so he will be able to escape from defenders much more effectively like he did as a rookie. RG3 can see the pressure coming from the right side since it isn't his blind side, so having an average guy there like Polumbus, or a slight upgrade in Penn won't be that bad.
agreed

Quote:
As for Center, I don't have a lot of faith in Kory L. playing there after watching struggle terribly last season, and feel that since he is moving to Center we definitely should have another option to go with. Instead of trading one of our draft picks (limited resources) for a guy that may get cut, we should use a draft pick on a guy like Richburg who is younger cheaper, and more talented. The Bucs wouldn't be cutting the guy if he was talented, so I'd much rather take one of the top Centers in the draft.
I disagree about Kory. I think he's a better fit for center and will excel there. I also would wait to draft a center till round 5 or 6. I don't see a huge difference between Richburg and other guys like Bryan Stork from FSU.

Quote:
So basically our main needs going into the draft are:
WR
Center
ILB
Punter
Kick Returner
Guard
For me it's:

ILB
WR
DE
OLB
Center
Guard
Punter

IMO we have multiple guys who can return kicks. We just added Andre Roberts as a return man to our list of:

Niles Paul
Santana Moss
Richard Crawford
Nick Williams
Chris Thompson
Roy Helu
Aldrick Robinson


The bottom 3, just need better special teams coaching. I just don't see the need to draft a guy just to be a special teams ace. That's the most luxury pick off all and something we certainly can't afford with all of our holes.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Preseason 10; Final Cuts 33; Reg Season 41
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dashing


Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 3682
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herd it holds players back. With that brace of d rg3 is 1900:30-11 percent healthy.

We should get excited.
_________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXTNES_L3s0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkJ8_uNMM_I&list=LLRM2s0GoIPWV7foTBLfFMRw&feature=mh_lolz
^^^^I like to I like to I like to ^_^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dashing


Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 3682
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One hundred percent *
_________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXTNES_L3s0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkJ8_uNMM_I&list=LLRM2s0GoIPWV7foTBLfFMRw&feature=mh_lolz
^^^^I like to I like to I like to ^_^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tyler735


Joined: 12 Aug 2007
Posts: 1576
Location: Minnesota
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to Turtle, we do agree on a lot of what has gone on this offseason, and vary just a bit on ILB/WR. We both view them as needs, but just to a different degree. I view Center/Returner as a very big need this offseason.

As for WR, I think we are worse off then you think. We have Pierre Garcon, and Andre Roberts. I think highly of those two players. After that we have Santana Moss, who very well may not even make the final roster, and Aldrick Robinson. Then we have some camp fodder such as Nick Williams and such. Gruden loves to rotate WR's, we don't have much to work with as far as rotating right now outside of Garcon and Roberts.


Here are some stats that show why just signing Roberts isn't going to be able to fix our WR core:

"In 2012, RG3's receivers had the most drops at 9%.
In 2013, RG3's receivers had 5th most drops at 8% (drops are still a problem).

PFF ranked Aldrick Robinson #68 among 81 deep ball receivers (20+ yds), with a 20% catch rate."

http://www.reddit.com/r/Redskins/comments/1vtmsm/my_pff_notes_for_the_2013_redskins_season/

There are even more stats in the link that show how bad our WR core has been. Our WR core has been pathetic for multiple years now, and Aldrick Robinson is far from an answer in the slot. This doesn't mean I don't like Robinson, he is fine for what he is...a situational deep threat, but he isn't much more than that.

Roberts is a nice option in the slot, which will fit his style better here since the Cardinals didn't do much for 3 WR sets. If we do get an injury to our number 1 or 2, he can work as a fill in, but he is best utilized as a slot guy.

I saw on another thread you went on another rant about rookies not being able to produce at WR, if we get a pro ready guy like Matthews that will hardly be a problem he will step in and be effective as a rookie much like my guys Keenan Allen/Terrance Williams/Patterson were last season.

As for Center, I have little to no faith in Kory L. after last season. he looked terrible out there. The zone blocking scheme is supposed to mask undersized OL's faults...what happens this season when he isn't in that scheme anymore? He will still be exposed in the scheme even with the move to center. He is undersized, and looked terrible last season. I'd definitely like to draft a guy like Richburg who can be a great Center. I was able to see Matt Birk play for years in Minnesota and be a leader for some great O-lines, so I don't believe Center is a position that isn't impactful. Montgomery struggled frequently last year, so an upgrade is definitely needed. Also if that is your argument then we definitely shouldn't take an ILB early since they aren't viewed as a priority position in the draft either, but I think we both know that we should take guys that can help this team out for the long haul, and Richburg is potentially a 3rd round guy that could be the best Center in the draft, so that would ultimately be a great value for us if we could land him, and be a great use of limited resources.

ILB I think is best to be addressed in the 4th round. That seems to be the sweet spot for where we can get a great value with the depth at ILB this year. A guy like C. Jones, Y. Smallwood, or Skov should be there at our pick in the 4th. Sure Shazier might have a higher ceiling than those guys, but he also has a pretty high bust factor. He reminds me a lot of Ernie Sims coming into the draft. He was more athlete than football player. He would make some WOW plays at times, but he also relied on his athleticism a ton in college, much like Shazier. I'd much rather just take a natural ILB like Jones/Smallwood in the 4th, and let him battle it out Robinson/Sharpton for the starting spot opposite Riley this season.

At Safety we agree we need to give our young guys a chance (P. Thomas, Rambo, Gumbs, Robinson), We have Brandon Merriweather who can play either Safety position, and Tanard Jackson just got reinstated. Plus we are still in talks with Clark. I'm fine with letting these young guys have another year to show their stuff with Merriweather and potentially Clark/Jackson. Next year if nobody steps it up, Safety will definitely be a priority need for us, but until then I want to see what our young guys can do.

As for returner, we have nobody that has shown they can effectively do it for us. We still don't have great depth at WR. Taking a guy in the 6th like Archer/Thomas who can possibly take Robinsons spot if he doesn't improve, and be a great returner sounds just fine to me. If Archer can be a Hester/Holliday, I have no problem letting him have a roster spot. Plus he could be a nice weapon of offense as a gadget player.

You listed these guys as returners:

Paul (He's a TE, and our best returner...shows how bad we are at the spot right now)
Moss (Another year older/slower...Is he going to make the team?)
Thompson (Injury Prone/Struggled as a rookie)
Williams (Cut most likely)
Robinson (Little experience in college, didn't do much in his chances)
Crawford (Another injury)

NONE of these guys is going to make teams fear us in the return game, and we likely won't see much improvement in field position if any from last season, which killed a lot of drives for us. Archer/D. Thomas on the other hand could put fear into oppenents and greatly improve our starting field position.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group