Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A Slightly Different Forum Mock - Pick 27!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raves

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krewebrees wrote:
Magnifico wrote:
Surprised people are so high on Marquise Lee. Some Posters have been calling out to get a true #1/long term replacement for Colston since we got eliminated and I just don't see it in Lee.

The reason I said Lee was because, with no BPA IMO, I went to our biggest position of need. I only had two WR left on my board with a 1st round grade Lee and Landry and between the two I see it in Lee more than Landry.

Thing is OLB/ILB are both needs as well and Shazier might be able to play either position not to mention being just an athletic freak.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
krewebrees wrote:
Magnifico wrote:
Surprised people are so high on Marquise Lee. Some Posters have been calling out to get a true #1/long term replacement for Colston since we got eliminated and I just don't see it in Lee.

The reason I said Lee was because, with no BPA IMO, I went to our biggest position of need. I only had two WR left on my board with a 1st round grade Lee and Landry and between the two I see it in Lee more than Landry.

Thing is OLB/ILB are both needs as well and Shazier might be able to play either position not to mention being just an athletic freak.

I chose Lee cause he was the highest rated player on my board left and WR is a need so the fit was there... but if Shaizer was the pick you get no complaints from me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
krewebrees

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Raves wrote:
krewebrees wrote:
Magnifico wrote:

I chose Lee cause he was the highest rated player on my board left and WR is a need so the fit was there... but if Shaizer was the pick you get no complaints from me.

I agree. I'd be happy with Shazier. But for me it's take the guy in the highest tier. If there's 3 or 4 guys left in the same tier take the one at the bigger position of need. I consider ILB and OLB both wants more than actual needs. I really only think we have 2 needs this season WR and CB.
Raves

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krewebrees wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Raves wrote:
krewebrees wrote:
Magnifico wrote:

I agree. I'd be happy with Shazier. But for me it's take the guy in the highest tier. If there's 3 or 4 guys left in the same tier take the one at the bigger position of need. I consider ILB and OLB both wants more than actual needs. I really only think we have 2 needs this season WR and CB.

The problem is there is a gold standard at WR, Sammy Watkins, and a group of 6-9 guys after him that is more of a preference at WR IMO. I mean do you really think that anyone outside of Watkins is that much better than any other WR in this class? I'd be just as happy with Jordan Matthews as I would be Mike Evans honestly. I also feel CB might be in the same fold. Granted you honestly want to get both positions by the end of the 2nd round to get someone from the muddled mixture, but you have a tons of options.

At WR:
Mike Evans
Marquis Lee
Odell Beckham Jr.
Jordan Matthews
Brandin Cooks
Kelvin Benjamin
Allen Robinson
Davante Adams

At CB:
Justin Gilbert
Jason Verrett
Kyle Fuller
Bradley Roby
Marcus Robinson
Lamarcus Joyner
Jaylen Watkins
Pierre Desir

Both groupings will definitely have options even late into the 2nd round and possibly even late 3rd round and I really don't see a massive difference between any of them, granted a few stand out as being better but none are heads and shoulders above each other.

Saints will be in a great position and if taking a "want" will improve our front 7 by letting our DL/Gallette attack more often with more disregard for anything but sacks then I'm all for it as it makes our DBs look better too.

A great DL can make a secondary look amazing, but a very good LB corp can let a great DL look exceptional by playing with no inhibition about going after the QB which makes the secondary look exceptional as well. I mean look at the best Chicago defenses. Their DL was good, their linebackers exception, and their seconary good. Now since the DL could attack without hindrance due to the exceptional linebackers the secondary looked great as well.

The Saints have a very good DL, a very good secondary, a very good Linebacker corp that can allow the DL to attack more freely knowing they can go sideline to sideline to make plays as well as drop back in coverage, something a guy like Shazier does exceptionally well along with adding an extra blitzing element, will make our secondary look even better.

I mean look at how the Saints looked after Lewis went out. Our DL wasn't attacking as hard having to protect half of our linebackers and then Philly started scoring and making plays as Foles had time to throw. Have a group of very good/great linebackers and your DL can still attack as hard as before and you might even get an extra linebacker adding to the pass rush to help cover up the missing CB. Oh and stopping the running game at the linebackers > stopping it in the seconary...

Just saying.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
krewebrees

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves I agree with everything that you just said with the exception of the CBs. I even said, not sure if I've posted it on here exactly the same way, that my WR rankings for 2-7 is a tie and it's team specific/preference from that point, and both my 8 Mathews and 9 Adams are probably now in that list as well. However here's two propositions:

1. Our current roster only has 3 WRs
Kenny Stills: A lot of people are saying he's Moores replacement and production wise he is, but I think he's a better fit in the slot than as a number 2.
Nick Toon: I hope he continues to grow as a receiver but at this point a definitely want a plan B.
Marques Colston: Still a number 1 WR, but barley, and starting to regres. We need to start looking for his replacement.

The point is that taking 2 WR this year isn't off the table especially if we loose/trade Jimmy and I'm not opposed to taking 2 players in the first two rounds if things fall right (or wrong depending on how you look at it). Getting a guy like Lee in the first and Adams in the second with Stills sets us at WR for years to come even if Toon doesn't amount to much and if he does that's even better.

2. Also great point about the LB corps strengthening the others but the same can be said about the top secondary allowing the D-line time to get a pressure so they can play the run for a second first. But still great point and I agree. Here's the question. Is Shazier going to take our south of top 10 LB corps to the level your talking about top 3 at least? And who's to say that a guy like Van Noy won't be there in the second (unlikely I know but there could a run of WRs and we don't the guy we want, any thing can happen) or that guys like Christian Jones,Chris Borland, Carl Bradford, or Jeremiah Attaochu won't make an impact.

There's a lot of options, and more importantly a lot of good options.
Raves

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before fandom is called out let me just say later in the draft I might suggest guys but I don't feel strongly about them. This year the only Ohio State player I will push for is Shazier as I feel his versatility to play both inside and out, not to mention be a 3 down player that doesn't have to be taken out in passing situations I think would put us from just outside the top 10 to a solid top 5 position. The fact that our secondary and DL is already so good bolstering the linebackers will help make all 3 positions as a whole even better.

Sure an elite unit on defense will make the others look better, but three very good units will make the all of them look elite as they cover up for each others weaknesses.

There are also some later in the draft WRs that are going to be big time contributors as well and we can look to target those. Now granted if we can't keep Graham I'm right there with you on grabbing a WR in the first two rounds but I don't think we have to worry about that so just keeping 4 WRs is fine as we have been doing that for awhile with a 5th or 6th that also helps out on special teams.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
SWATcha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Shazier would be the better pick, but....if they took Lee, I could get a legit jersey with my name on the back. So Lee it is! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that ILB is more of a need than SOLB. We play 4-2-5 more than any other set...so it really doesn't make sense to get a OLB when we rarely play base. I guess you could argue that we would play it more if we had the personnel. Though that may be true...outside of Khalil Mack, I wouldn't say that there is an OLB much better than Victor Butler available. Lets go with a sideline to sideline player like Shazier that would play in every one of our packages.

In regards to WR...I think we have our slot receiver. His name is Marques Colston. He has played that position for years. Stills and Moore actually played the flanker position...and it is the best fit for them because it prevents them from being pressed at the LOS. The WR position that the Saints have a huge need is split end. Henderson and Meachem played the position over the past few years...and Jimmy Graham is probably our best player at the position. We really don't have a WR who can beat the press on the team. So who in the draft can do that? Honestly, I like Brandon Cooks the most (outside of Watkins and Evans). He is so shifty that he is difficult to press. Very similar to Steve Smith. If we don't go Cooks in the first round...I like guys like Moncrief and Landry in the 2nd/3rd because they are strong enough to beat the press.

~Sir William Osler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: