Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ponder 2014: Episode IV A New Hope?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Vikings' organization has ever subscribed to the "current" level of thought. There is only about half of the teams that actually run with only 2 QBs though...and the great majority of those have proven and durable QBs starting. If you don't have a proven durable starter, there's absolutely no chance that you should run with 2 QBs. Since the Vikings are not in that class, that's why I don't believe they even really ever "ponder"ed the question.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder said he was "a little bit'' surprised by Kevin Williams' recent public criticism of him. But he insisted he has "tough skin."

Williams, a defensive tackle who agreed to terms Thursday with the Seattle Seahawks after 11 seasons with the Vikings, said in a radio interview Tuesday that Ponder is very smart but is "a little lacking" when it comes to making decisions on the field and with his leadership. Williams also said pressure has overwhelmed Ponder when he starts.

"You can be smart as a whip in the classroom," Williams told SiriusXM NFL Radio. "But you got to be able to make the football decisions in a timely manner and kind of be able to see them before it develops. ... You really depend on (a quarterback) to be a leader and make those decisions. I think he is a little lacking there."

"It's nothing he hasn't heard from me or any other of the leaders (on the Vikings)," Williams said.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_25956051/vikings-christian-ponder-surprised-by-kevin-williams-criticism
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Samantha and Christian Ponder had their first child recently, as announced by Larry Fitzgerald’s dad, because of course, on July 20th. According to Ben Goessling, the child is named after one of Ponder’s former coaches.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/07/22/christian-and-samantha-ponder-named-their-daughter-after-bobby-bowden/

Thx to Uncle Buck!
milanb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Quote:
Samantha and Christian Ponder had their first child recently, as announced by Larry Fitzgerald’s dad, because of course, on July 20th. According to Ben Goessling, the child is named after one of Ponder’s former coaches.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/07/22/christian-and-samantha-ponder-named-their-daughter-after-bobby-bowden/

They should have named her "Nikki", after Nick Saban.

Just for fun.

Twisted Evil

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for them.

So now this may be Ponder's break out year? Wink

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
SodakViking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has to be Bobby Bowden, right?

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponder: “I’m a competitive guy. I want to be the guy taking the first-team reps and getting more plays than I am, but I understand that’s the direction they’re headed. As bothersome as it is to not take as many reps, I’m trying to be a professional about it and just learn.”

“I don’t know what’s going to happen playing-wise this year. I think it’s clear right now I’m getting the least amount of reps because I’m the third guy, but you always have to be prepared because you never know. Football’s a crazy game, and I’m going to be prepared and I’m going to work hard. I can learn so much. After this year, who knows where I’m going to be? And I think what I’m going to learn this year is going to help me and help my career.”

http://min.scout.com/2/1431191.html

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
milanb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not be at all surprised if someone offered Christian Ponder a broadcasting job a year from now, and even less surprised if Ponder took it.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
VikesGuy07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone done this yet?

Ponder 2014: Episode V, Same Old Nope

Thank you, thank you, here all week folks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikesGuy07 wrote:
Has anyone done this yet?

Ponder 2014: Episode V, Same Old Nope

Thank you, thank you, here all week folks.

And make sure to try the veal...

milan...that's not going to happen. Someone else will pick up next season, because he'll be able to make plenty of money as a career backup. I mean, he's better than Tarvaris, and Tarvaris is still collecting a paycheck.

If he wants a landing spot that he can potentially start at, he may as well join his college backup in Buffalo.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Krauser

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said earlier Ponder had regressed even further than last year. Was referring mostly to Arif's comments on a podcast. Here's the write up: http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/8/8/5958845/minnesota-vikings-training-camp-notebook-depth-chart-week-in-review

Quote:
I have never seen a more lackluster training camp from a single player than from what I've seen of Christian Ponder. There's no question that he's worse in camp than he was in camp the previous years, and even James Vandenberg's terrifyingly bad performance in 2013 didn't inspire this much dreary pessimism. Ponder doesn't seem to care, and he threw the worst throw I've seen in a training camp a few days ago, a pass straight to Captain Munnerlyn without any designs on a receiver.

Ponder is slow in his reads, lazy in mechanics and quick to revert to old habits without much recourse. He's even screwed up basic handoffs in walkthroughs. Normally, Ponder would be a great QB3 on any roster, simply because he's talented enough to be a QB2 on most rosters. In this context, I'm not so sure that that's even true.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
I said earlier Ponder had regressed even further than last year. Was referring mostly to Arif's comments on a podcast. Here's the write up: http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/8/8/5958845/minnesota-vikings-training-camp-notebook-depth-chart-week-in-review

Quote:
I have never seen a more lackluster training camp from a single player than from what I've seen of Christian Ponder. There's no question that he's worse in camp than he was in camp the previous years, and even James Vandenberg's terrifyingly bad performance in 2013 didn't inspire this much dreary pessimism. Ponder doesn't seem to care, and he threw the worst throw I've seen in a training camp a few days ago, a pass straight to Captain Munnerlyn without any designs on a receiver.

Ponder is slow in his reads, lazy in mechanics and quick to revert to old habits without much recourse. He's even screwed up basic handoffs in walkthroughs. Normally, Ponder would be a great QB3 on any roster, simply because he's talented enough to be a QB2 on most rosters. In this context, I'm not so sure that that's even true.

Maybe he is just looking to get released and helping his cause along. This way he doesn't have to look like a cancer, and he can choose his next destination.
DJpillz317

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
Krauser wrote:

Quote:

Maybe he is just looking to get released and helping his cause along. This way he doesn't have to look like a cancer, and he can choose his next destination.

Sounds like a reasonable theory to me. CP7 probably saw the writing on the wall when GUMP was drafted and knew that any opportunity of him playing in Minnesota was gone. I can't really blame him for not being motivated and wanting to go somewhere else to play. But, why not just ask to be released? Laughing

Prediction: Derek Carr = next Brandon Weeden; Zach Mett will be a good starter; Manziel will be a STAR.
Blake Bortles is going to be a Viking
wcblack34

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJpillz317 wrote:
wcblack34 wrote:
Krauser wrote:

Quote:

Sounds like a reasonable theory to me. CP7 probably saw the writing on the wall when GUMP was drafted and knew that any opportunity of him playing in Minnesota was gone. I can't really blame him for not being motivated and wanting to go somewhere else to play. But, why not just ask to be released? Laughing

I think that if you ask for your release, there is a perception that you won't be happy to be a backup, which could make it more difficult to field multiple offers. If teams think that he will be a headache if he doesn't get to compete for a starting gig, they aren't going to be calling.
DJpillz317

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
DJpillz317 wrote:
wcblack34 wrote:
Krauser wrote:

Quote:

I think that if you ask for your release, there is a perception that you won't be happy to be a backup, which could make it more difficult to field multiple offers. If teams think that he will be a headache if he doesn't get to compete for a starting gig, they aren't going to be calling.

Maybe. However, if I was a GM on a pro team possibly looking to sign him, I'd rather see him politely ask to be released and state that it's just not the right situation for him anymore. He won't even get to be QB2 here likely. Who can blame him, ya know? Playing sloppy jaloppy football to try to force a release just shows bad work ethic IMO.

Prediction: Derek Carr = next Brandon Weeden; Zach Mett will be a good starter; Manziel will be a STAR.
Blake Bortles is going to be a Viking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: