Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ponder 2014: Episode IV A New Hope?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teddy's at the Rookie Premiere (that I referenced in his thread yesterday), so he's not there today or tomorrow,

Thx to Uncle Buck!
tonkavikes27

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. I found it kind of off that after saying teddy would share reps and there was no mention. I also find it odd that the nfl would schedule something like this at the start of OTAs. I'm sure it's scheduled like this regularly, just the first I've noticed it

#freepeterson
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkavikes27 wrote:
That makes sense. I found it kind of off that after saying teddy would share reps and there was no mention. I also find it odd that the nfl would schedule something like this at the start of OTAs. I'm sure it's scheduled like this regularly, just the first I've noticed it

That is odd the schedules overlap for that. Are all OTA's for all teams the same? I don't think they are.
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the teams that schedule the OTAs. They could have scheduled them around the Premiere, but they wouldn't do that for 1 player (only 25 rookies are invited to it).

Thx to Uncle Buck!
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
It's the teams that schedule the OTAs. They could have scheduled them around the Premiere, but they wouldn't do that for 1 player (only 25 rookies are invited to it).

That makes sense then.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithVikings28 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
KeithVikings28 wrote:
Ponder is going to win the starting job

why do you feel that's the most likely scenario?

He's the most talented of the group and he played well last season.

well whatever arm he had in the league to begin with, he's lost it, so it seems.

The Fail Mary gutted any hope of mine that Ponder would succeed in this league. He's going to be a journeyman #2 QB for awhile (with maybe 1 or 2 more starting gigs due to injuries), and then fade out.

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponder: "We'll see how it plays out once it goes to training camp, but obviously there's an agenda to try to get Teddy ready, and Cassel's the starter right now. I'll get opportunities through training camp and preseason to try to earn a spot. It's not awkward -- I understand what's going on. I had some opportunities that I didn't take full advantage of. If I would have played better, I wouldn't be in the situation here right now. We'll see how it plays out -- football's a crazy game."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_25964790/charley-walters-vikings-christian-ponder-realizes-his-role

say what you want that is critical of Ponder's football abilities, but he has been a class act his entire time with the Vikings.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Ponder: "We'll see how it plays out once it goes to training camp, but obviously there's an agenda to try to get Teddy ready, and Cassel's the starter right now. I'll get opportunities through training camp and preseason to try to earn a spot. It's not awkward -- I understand what's going on. I had some opportunities that I didn't take full advantage of. If I would have played better, I wouldn't be in the situation here right now. We'll see how it plays out -- football's a crazy game."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_25964790/charley-walters-vikings-christian-ponder-realizes-his-role

say what you want that is critical of Ponder's football abilities, but he has been a class act his entire time with the Vikings.

Ponder is professional, he really doesn't have a choice if he wants to have a lucrative career as NFL backup. He is saying exactly what an NFL backup should be saying and teams will give him opportunities for that, like Tarvaris Jackson.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

Ponder is professional, he really doesn't have a choice if he wants to have a lucrative career as NFL backup. He is saying exactly what an NFL backup should be saying and teams will give him opportunities for that, like Tarvaris Jackson.

Ponder has gotten a lot of unearned nastiness from Vikings fans, bordering on (and often crossing into) some sort of personal vendetta. I've always found him to be a likable and level headed guy. I think that Ponder will have a very good career as a backup. It might even be here with the Vikings if they determine that Cassel is too expensive to retain next season.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Ponder is saying exactly what an NFL backup should be saying and teams will give him opportunities for that, like Tarvaris Jackson.

welll... the scripted response for his situation would be more like whatever the team wants me to do, i'm here to help in any way i can, blah blah blah. he's saying that, but he's also taking personal responsibility for his lack of success and accomplishment, which is something we do not always hear from NFL players.

he's blaming no one else.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
jshowers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how hard we tried to shop him pre-draft, if at all. He's so much better than the current QB2 for many teams.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
I wonder how hard we tried to shop him pre-draft, if at all. He's so much better than the current QB2 for many teams.

Probably not by much, and certainly not at the cost of his salary. It seems that the 49ers were the only team interested in adding a failed first rd QB, and they opted for Blaine Gabbert.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithVikings28 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
KeithVikings28 wrote:
Ponder is going to win the starting job

why do you feel that's the most likely scenario?

He's the most talented of the group and he played well last season.

Troll Level: Expert
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
jshowers wrote:

Probably not by much, and certainly not at the cost of his salary. It seems that the 49ers were the only team interested in adding a failed first rd QB, and they opted for Blaine Gabbert.

I doubt that they tried to shop him at all. Why would they? He costs them very little money and is certainly better than any other 3rd QB that they would consider. He can play out the string and walk at the end of the year.

Gabbert was selected by a completely different regime including even the owner (it's hard to even remember, but Del Rio was actually still the coach when Gabbert was drafted) and they had no allegiance to him.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
jshowers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
jshowers wrote:

I doubt that they tried to shop him at all. Why would they? He costs them very little money and is certainly better than any other 3rd QB that they would consider. He can play out the string and walk at the end of the year.

Gabbert was selected by a completely different regime including even the owner (it's hard to even remember, but Del Rio was actually still the coach when Gabbert was drafted) and they had no allegiance to him.

Because the current school of thought centers around the advantage of keeping only 2 QBs on the 53 man, or keeping 3 w/ one inactive on game days.

If we were interested in cutting our QB group to 2, and also perhaps to get our rookie as many snaps as possible in camp, I would think we may have tried to shop Christian pre-draft for a 4th-6th round pick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: