Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ponder 2014: Episode IV A New Hope?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Ponder 2014: Episode IV A New Hope? Reply with quote

Mike Zimmer: "Im actually excited to see Ponder. I want to see him come here and compete, and I want to see him work out in the field and see him show me all the athletic ability that he has. I think it will be a great time when we get him out there on the field.

Im not [giving up on him.] Im actually excited about him, and hopefully he can prove me right.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/250482511.html

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?

Last edited by vike daddy on Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Bermuda Viking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll still get to see Sam! Woohoo!

J/k . Ponder will be a good back-up.
BWG VIKE

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all comes down to that weak arm of his... I have been behind him from day 1 all the way up to that failed hail mary attempt near the end of the season that didn't even go 40yards.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have two hopes for Ponder:

1) That he never takes a snap for the Vikings in a game again.
2) That we are able to trade him for at least a 7th round draft pick.

That's it.

Christian Ponder is a bust. I don't know why this is so tough to figure out. I knew he was a dud as soon as the pick was announced. It's time for the entire Vikings organization to admit that it was a wasted pick, find a team that wants to trade for him as a back up, and move on.

Aout wrote:
What is wrong with all these Packer fans insulting and raging all the time?
wcblack34

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponder's a bust as a starting QB in this league. Big deal. He has other value as a backup QB who knows our personnel. He has no trade value. I've said it all offseason, Christian Ponder will be a Minnesota Viking come training camp. Cutting him doesn't save us any money, and he's cheaper than a backup of comparable value would be in FA. He may end up being inactive a lot, depending on if/where we draft a QBOTF, but cutting him doesn't make much sense, no matter how much fans despise him.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
Christian Ponder is a bust. I don't know why this is so tough to figure out. I knew he was a dud as soon as the pick was announced. It's time for the entire Vikings organization to admit that it was a wasted pick, find a team that wants to trade for him as a back up, and move on.

Buck, isn't it obvious the Vikings have already moved on from Ponder, from him being the team's anointed starter anyway? i mean, obviously Cassel has the inside track to start, and we'll draft qb(s) this year if they look favorable. that's pretty much the definition of moving on from Ponder. but he's still a usable backup presumably.

i just don't get the visceral, emotional hate that some fans have for him. he was a team player and gentleman throughout his career so far - never held out for anything, never criticized players or coaches, never got arrested, even got married in a very quiet non-public way so not to distract from the team. it's not his fault he got drafted at #12, he wasn't insisting on it or making a spectacle of himself pre-draft. why the absolute hate for him?

and as far as you patting yourself on the back for predicting his dud-ness right away, you also predicted Tebow would be astounding. and even still can be. so i wouldn't take your predictions too authoritatively.

Webmaster wrote:
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't install what he doesn't have, sorry.

He has never shown a true ability to "feel" the game, and his clutch gene is practically non existent. I hate that we wasted so much time on this bum.

I want to move on as fast as possible.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:
You can't install what he doesn't have, sorry.

He has never shown a true ability to "feel" the game, and his clutch gene is practically non existent. I hate that we wasted so much time on this bum.

I want to move on as fast as possible.

I think you could argue that Minnesota moved on "as fast as possible".

2011 - shouldnt count considering he only started 6 games.

2012 - Ponder showed improvement in the final month of the season and helped push the Vikings into the playoffs

2013 - Ponder was benched early in the season and replaced by Freeman and eventually Cassel
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game against Pittsburgh proved to me we never moved on. Cassel got us our first win, on the road.

Yet he was benched the next week for the bum. I think some people wanted to move on, and some didn't. Either way, we wasted valuable time.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:
The game against Pittsburgh proved to me we never moved on. Cassel got us our first win, on the road.

Yet he was benched the next week for the bum. I think some people wanted to move on, and some didn't. Either way, we wasted valuable time.

Spielman seemed like he was willing to move on in 2013. But who plays is the responsibility of the coaching staff.

the time wasted might be a blessing with the dismissal of Frazier and the hiring of Zimmer.
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree there.

Fraizer and Co took my love for the game and the Vikings away for 3 years.

Ponder reminds me of the mediocre, wait and see, let's be careful, Vikings. And I hate that. I want him gone as fast as possible.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Zimmer's quotes were being genuine, and I honestly have a hard time seeing us take a QB at 8. Just don't see any of them being BPA.

This is similar to last year, when everyone was mocking Te'o to us because we needed a MLB so badly. Despite him being on the board three different times we were on the clock, he opted to go BPA every time.

I see a similar scenario unfolding this year. Everyone is mocking a QB to us, but we'll take BPA instead.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:

Yet he was benched the next week for the bum.

Frank, you're re-writing history (you did this once before too with this same instance) to fit your narrative of bias.

Cassel was not benched the next week for Ponder, Cassell started our next game versus Carolina at home and stunk it up badly.

he threw for 241 yards
but only an average of 5.5 yards per completion
2 INT's, 1 TD
3 sacks
QB rating of 74.1

if that was Ponder's statline from that game too, you'd want HIM benched!

Very Happy

Webmaster wrote:
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know at that time, something was publicly said about Ponder remaining the starter for the next game.

I also publicly said in the 4th preseason game that Matt was our QB and would be better than Ponder. No one will dig that quote up , I bet.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
I think Zimmer's quotes were being genuine, and I honestly have a hard time seeing us take a QB at 8. Just don't see any of them being BPA.

This is similar to last year, when everyone was mocking Te'o to us because we needed a MLB so badly. Despite him being on the board three different times we were on the clock, he opted to go BPA every time.

I see a similar scenario unfolding this year. Everyone is mocking a QB to us, but we'll take BPA instead.

Let's try and avoid draft chatter in regards to Ponder's status on the team. We have another thread where this comment would be more fitting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: