Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free Agency- Denver yes. Oakland yes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kw_215

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OILCHIEFS wrote:
I don't know how you can applaud a GM for letting a quality LT in veldheer go and then trying to sign Saffold as his replacement for even more money. Saffold can't play LT or stay healthy. That move was laughable.

Not a single player he signed was better than Veldheer or Houston. Which he let both walk without getting anything. Talk about terrible asset management. He had the cap space to at least tag and trade 1 of them. The only reason Oakland is closer to being competitive is because we were too close to the cap to retain our best free agents. Mind you the only contract I would have matched was Schwartz or asamoah.

Oakland is still the worst in the division.

I dont disagree with you opinion but maybe they had reason to part with Veldheer and Houston. My main point is that Oakland has been active in free agency (CAP ROOM) and brought in guys that want to win.
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kw_215 wrote:
OILCHIEFS wrote:
I don't know how you can applaud a GM for letting a quality LT in veldheer go and then trying to sign Saffold as his replacement for even more money. Saffold can't play LT or stay healthy. That move was laughable.

Not a single player he signed was better than Veldheer or Houston. Which he let both walk without getting anything. Talk about terrible asset management. He had the cap space to at least tag and trade 1 of them. The only reason Oakland is closer to being competitive is because we were too close to the cap to retain our best free agents. Mind you the only contract I would have matched was Schwartz or asamoah.

Oakland is still the worst in the division.

I dont disagree with you opinion but maybe they had reason to part with Veldheer and Houston. My main point is that Oakland has been active in free agency (CAP ROOM) and brought in guys that want to win.

That's fair to say but until they say that reason I can only assume they aren't that smart by thinking Saffold can replace Veldheer.

Donald Penn is an average LT, but if his contract is even close to Veldheer's then it's more of the same bad asset management I'm seeing.

Tamba Hali
kw_215

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I really like the trade off, DE Jackson walks as a free agent and we sign DL Vance Walker, who I like better, but why wouldnt we have tried to keep one of the guards that walked? Not to mention one of the best KR/PR in the league right now in McCluster (I believe he was over paid). But why wasnt one of our core player kept? No one really mentioned anything of trying to keep any of them and we lost most of them in day 1...
Morkim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kw_215 wrote:
Now I really like the trade off, DE Jackson walks as a free agent and we sign DL Vance Walker, who I like better, but why wouldnt we have tried to keep one of the guards that walked? Not to mention one of the best KR/PR in the league right now in McCluster (I believe he was over paid). But why wasnt one of our core player kept? No one really mentioned anything of trying to keep any of them and we lost most of them in day 1...

I'm sure we did try and keep one of them. Or atleast I like to think so. But the fact that they were jumped on day one is a big reason why we couldn't get them back. They knew they'd get paid well in FA.

As far as McCluster, you said it yourself, he was overpaid. Not much we can do about that.

And let's be honest. I'm hoping McCluster or the guards don't classify as our core.
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morkim wrote:
kw_215 wrote:

I'm sure we did try and keep one of them. Or atleast I like to think so. But the fact that they were jumped on day one is a big reason why we couldn't get them back. They knew they'd get paid well in FA.

As far as McCluster, you said it yourself, he was overpaid. Not much we can do about that.

And let's be honest. I'm hoping McCluster or the guards don't classify as our core.

Schwartz said we did offer a contract but not in the same ballpark as NYG.

Let's be honest, the guard position isn't one of the most important ones. If we sign Jon or Geoff at 4.25M, we have no money to sign anyone else barring extensions. I'd rather make another Schwartz type bet like last year and hope it pans out.

Tamba Hali
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OILCHIEFS wrote:
Morkim wrote:
kw_215 wrote:

Let's be honest, the guard position isn't one of the most important ones. If we sign Jon or Geoff at 4.25M, we have no money to sign anyone else barring extensions. I'd rather make another Schwartz type bet like last year and hope it pans out.

That's why the Berry extension needed to have already been done before free agency. I don't really like the idea of trying to essentially hit the free agent lottery again as we did in Schwartz. I don't see Linkenbach as being on the same level as Schwartz. Also consider we will now have 3 new starters on the offensive line (considering position) and 2 on the right side.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
HiccupGuy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many times have we "won" the off season? I am fine being slow in FA.

ryknowssd on the sig.
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddie mac wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:
So your ranking is this

Den>Oak>KC

Wonder if this impacts it? Here is the cap space of those teams

Den (17.9m) Oak (66.3m) KC (9.7m)

Simply put, we didn't have the money to compete with those teams. Oakland NEEDED to be active in free agency as they were well below the minimum cap number. Now have they over-paid for some guys, yes I think so, not to mention the Saffold fiasco.

Denver has a pretty strong draw, and had a good cap number. But it's going to make things tight down the road when it comes time to re-sign guys like Bebe, Julius and Von.

KC, honestly is a loser in free agency in my opinion. We had a number of quality free agents (as seen by how quickly they signed elsewhere) and in reality had little hope of keeping more than a couple at best. We've made a few moves, but certainly nothing with a WOW factor, but honestly we can't afford most of those players and still have money going forward. It's tough to lose guys, and I think this year could be a struggle as we rely on some of the young guys to step up.

To assume we aren't trying to better our team however I think is a stretch, we simply cannot compete with some of these other teams Cap wise, and were caught in the losing end of a bad situation with the Sanders thing, which would have been our biggest "instant improvement" player.

Actually it wont considering none of the signed players bar Ware ($3.5m) have any guaranteed money beyond 2014 and the signing bonuses were all $5m or under so there wont be an issue at all with the cap in future years or dead money. The Broncos had the cash this offseason and they spent it in this offseason and both the Talib/Ware deals are basically 1-2 yr contracts in essence. So when it comes to deciding who deserves the money more in 2015/16 it will be the Broncos choice and not dictated by current contracts.

you think Talib's 26 mm guaranteed is basically a 2 year deal? It's the richest contract for a CB in history.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
OILCHIEFS wrote:
Morkim wrote:
kw_215 wrote:

That's why the Berry extension needed to have already been done before free agency. I don't really like the idea of trying to essentially hit the free agent lottery again as we did in Schwartz. I don't see Linkenbach as being on the same level as Schwartz. Also consider we will now have 3 new starters on the offensive line (considering position) and 2 on the right side.

One reason I believe the extension hasn't happened yet (anyone's not just Berry's), is that with the new CBA, things are evolving in contracts and the amounts vets are getting. I could absolutely see Berry wanting to see where the market heads in UFA, to see where his value should be placed. With the Byrd deal this year, and Goldson's last year, I think the level has been set, and it's roughly $9MM per year. He's set to make $8.5MM this eyar, so a re-sign quite possibly would not have cleared any space, if not actually made things worse, cap space wise. That is depending on how you value Berry relative Byrd.

^ryknowssd on the sig
kw_215

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morkim wrote:
kw_215 wrote:

Im not sure what to think about that. Keeping one of the guards wouldnt have been as bad to the offensive lines unity. Now we have a few holes on the line that need addressed. So I think that keeping one guard would of been a core player. As far as McCluster goes, I consider him the best returner in the league so losing him may hurt a bit...
Kcpre

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kw_215 wrote:
As far as McCluster goes, I consider him the best returner in the league so losing him may hurt a bit...

I thought he did a great job returning punts last year, but he wasn't able to beat out Arenas for the job the few years prior, and he doesn't seem as good at kick returns. If anything, I'd say last year proves that Toub is the best return game coordinator.
samsel23

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
OILCHIEFS wrote:
Morkim wrote:
kw_215 wrote:

One reason I believe the extension hasn't happened yet (anyone's not just Berry's), is that with the new CBA, things are evolving in contracts and the amounts vets are getting. I could absolutely see Berry wanting to see where the market heads in UFA, to see where his value should be placed. With the Byrd deal this year, and Goldson's last year, I think the level has been set, and it's roughly $9MM per year. He's set to make $8.5MM this eyar, so a re-sign quite possibly would not have cleared any space, if not actually made things worse, cap space wise. That is depending on how you value Berry relative Byrd.

Another reasoning for there not being any mention of a Berry extension is that they are waiting to see what Earl Thomas gets. Thomas and Berry will be tagged together for their entire careers, whether that's a good thing for us I'm not sure. But I would bet both their signings happen in the same offseason.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schaub to Oakland today, pending physical from what it sounds like anyway, per arrow head pride.

ALso hearing incognito wants to join the Raiders. Like we didn't see that coming right?

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
kingseanjohn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kcpre wrote:
kw_215 wrote:
As far as McCluster goes, I consider him the best returner in the league so losing him may hurt a bit...

I thought he did a great job returning punts last year, but he wasn't able to beat out Arenas for the job the few years prior, and he doesn't seem as good at kick returns. If anything, I'd say last year proves that Toub is the best return game coordinator.

Agreed. Toub is they key here. He needs to sign a lifetime contract ASAP! While I don't think we'll break another return average record this coming year I still expect some good things.

2014 Chiefs Draft Wish List
1. Brandin Cooks, WR, OSU
3. Brandon Thomas, G, Clemson
4. Tevin Reese, WR Baylor
5. Ron Powell, OLB, Florida
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingseanjohn wrote:
Kcpre wrote:
kw_215 wrote:

Agreed. Toub is they key here. He needs to sign a lifetime contract ASAP! While I don't think we'll break another return average record this coming year I still expect some good things.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a HC gig pretty soon.

Tamba Hali

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: