Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Edelman re-signs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 24316
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
QcFootballFan wrote:

1- are the Pats over the cap with all those signing adding the rookie contract?

No. After the Revis signing, they had a little over $10m in cap room left. With the Browner and Edelman contracts, they'll probably still have somewhere in the vicinity of $4m.

Quote:
3- if its a problem, who they gonna cut or save money? I know they could cut Wilson, but thats not much, what else?
Still remains to be seen what they end up doing with Wilfork. If he's cut, that's an extra $8 million in cap savings.
Cutting Dan Connolly and Adrian Wilson would save an additional $4.16m


It only saves 3.33M because of the top 51 rule. Cutting Wilson makes no sense until at least after the draft and mini-camp. Connolly....I'd have no problems moving on but they have no C, no real backup G if Cannon moves over to RG and no backup OT if Cannon moves over. So the real savings, assuming cheap veterans are added (the Svitek types of the world) are really quite minimal and the overall talent of the roster probably isn't improved.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tzimisce


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 47070
Location: Tuntmore Tower
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
QcFootballFan wrote:

1- are the Pats over the cap with all those signing adding the rookie contract?

No. After the Revis signing, they had a little over $10m in cap room left. With the Browner and Edelman contracts, they'll probably still have somewhere in the vicinity of $4m.

Quote:
3- if its a problem, who they gonna cut or save money? I know they could cut Wilson, but thats not much, what else?
Still remains to be seen what they end up doing with Wilfork. If he's cut, that's an extra $8 million in cap savings.
Cutting Dan Connolly and Adrian Wilson would save an additional $4.16m


It only saves 3.33M because of the top 51 rule. Cutting Wilson makes no sense until at least after the draft and mini-camp. Connolly....I'd have no problems moving on but they have no C, no real backup G if Cannon moves over to RG and no backup OT if Cannon moves over. So the real savings, assuming cheap veterans are added (the Svitek types of the world) are really quite minimal and the overall talent of the roster probably isn't improved.
Ah, hell, I forgot about the top-51 rule

...wait, what's the top-51 rule? Anxious
_________________

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
PatriotsWin!


Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 18386
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im more excited for this deal than the revis signing. Razz
_________________

Mack on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richter


Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 12301
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
QcFootballFan wrote:

1- are the Pats over the cap with all those signing adding the rookie contract?

No. After the Revis signing, they had a little over $10m in cap room left. With the Browner and Edelman contracts, they'll probably still have somewhere in the vicinity of $4m.

Quote:
3- if its a problem, who they gonna cut or save money? I know they could cut Wilson, but thats not much, what else?
Still remains to be seen what they end up doing with Wilfork. If he's cut, that's an extra $8 million in cap savings.
Cutting Dan Connolly and Adrian Wilson would save an additional $4.16m


It only saves 3.33M because of the top 51 rule. Cutting Wilson makes no sense until at least after the draft and mini-camp. Connolly....I'd have no problems moving on but they have no C, no real backup G if Cannon moves over to RG and no backup OT if Cannon moves over. So the real savings, assuming cheap veterans are added (the Svitek types of the world) are really quite minimal and the overall talent of the roster probably isn't improved.
Ah, hell, I forgot about the top-51 rule

...wait, what's the top-51 rule? 8-[

Really? The top 51 guys are who count against the salary cap in the off-season. The thing is, while cutting those guys only saves $3.33 million because of the promotion of guys that aren't in the top 51 currently, they get pushed back down when a higher priced player signs or is drafted, so the savings are effectively the full amount once more than two new players are brought in, since once the season starts, the team cuts down to 53 anyway. Whatever the top 51 number is, count on bumping it by two minimum salaries when the season starts, and that's what your number will be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Iron_man


Joined: 01 Mar 2013
Posts: 442
Location: SF, South Dakota
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Julian Edelman and also *posts another celebration gif* Laughing
_________________

Adopt a patriot 2013: Tavon Wilson
Adopt a patriot 2014: Julian Edelman
Catches:12
Touchdowns:1
Yards:176
Runs:2
Yards:30
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patsfan06


Joined: 19 Nov 2010
Posts: 2909
Location: Chestnut Hill
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we ever going to hear the contract details?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 24316
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan06 wrote:
Are we ever going to hear the contract details?


At some point in the next few days when it's officially filed
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
24isthelaw


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 7629
Location: Where the Patriots are
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan06 wrote:
Are we ever going to hear the contract details?


At some point in the next few days when it's officially filed


Yeah. I'd figure we hear about the details when the league office releases them. The league office, like any other business, gets Sundays off.
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
bluemushrooms


Joined: 10 Dec 2013
Posts: 470
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONTRACT DETAILS

https://twitter.com/cpriceNFL/status/445963093282406400

4 year, $17 million deal, $2m in incentives, $8mil guaranteed. Shocked
Anyone else feel like that's a lot of guaranteed money for Edelman?
_________________
2014 Adopt a Patriot: Brandon LaFell
Catches: Sad
Yards: Sad
Touchdowns: Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigTimePatsFan9


Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 1191
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluemushrooms wrote:
CONTRACT DETAILS

https://twitter.com/cpriceNFL/status/445963093282406400

4 year, $17 million deal, $2m in incentives, $8mil guaranteed. Shocked
Anyone else feel like that's a lot of guaranteed money for Edelman?


Not really...

He has a ton of value on the field as a great inside receiver and one of the best punt returnmen in the league
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
derekstanggt


Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 1011
Location: Austin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad numbers, I guess the guy is worth it. I have a hard time seeing him put up similar numbers next year though. Injuries to the offense and inexperience at WR was the perfect storm for his contract year. I could see more of a 60-650-5 type season for him next year next year now with LaFell in the mix. I'd still rather have him at that price than not. He's obviously the only one Brady trusts Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bluemushrooms


Joined: 10 Dec 2013
Posts: 470
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I suppose so. I'm just worried about his injuries.
_________________
2014 Adopt a Patriot: Brandon LaFell
Catches: Sad
Yards: Sad
Touchdowns: Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 24316
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all guaranteed money is equal.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richter


Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 12301
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluemushrooms wrote:
CONTRACT DETAILS

https://twitter.com/cpriceNFL/status/445963093282406400

4 year, $17 million deal, $2m in incentives, $8mil guaranteed. :shock:
Anyone else feel like that's a lot of guaranteed money for Edelman?

Only $6 million is guaranteed for skill. This is a very team-friendly deal with a solid AAV from the looks of it. Much better than the Amendola deal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patsfan06


Joined: 19 Nov 2010
Posts: 2909
Location: Chestnut Hill
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decker was the only comparable player on the market and he got double this deal...so not sure how any one could think this is an overpay.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group